• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.3%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 38.1%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 36 17.8%

• Total voters
Wife and I finished Jujutsu Kaisen last night and we thoroughly enjoyed it, I loved the shit out of it. I know it's just another shonen anime but that animation from MAPPA is damn sublime. I action scenes are intense as fuck and love watching them.
My usual complaint for shonen anime still stands, it feels like there is very little characterisation for the characters. You get some snippets here and there for Itadori, Fushiguro and Kugisaka but not enough.

The whole Curse Womb arc felt a bit pointless but I understand it's all about the power creep of the bad guys.

I eagerly await the next season.
:)
I ship Satoru Gojo with Altair from Re:creators*(available on amazon prime)

LMMFAO
That was meant to say gewd. Is it gewd? Silly auto correct.
Very good, and btw Altair powerset > Gojo. Lovely lovely series.

Altair appears inspired by Suigintou, white hair love for her creator, psychotic, just the way I like'em.

It is one of the things that still bother me, failure to trace suigintou altair to real world facial structure in potential real world humans.

I trace characters from fiction back to real world, maybe my art is in error, but nothing more satisfying than what appears like close or perfect tracing. Even more so, if personality matches appearance, an even closer trace.

It is similar to this idea, seen in tv tropes

Last edited:

Labolas

Am I crazy for thinking that the CG Berserk tv series was one of the worst things to be adapted from a manga to anime? I ask this because I had a couple of people say that it was good and I couldn't laugh at that thought process.

sol_bad

Am I crazy for thinking that the CG Berserk tv series was one of the worst things to be adapted from a manga to anime? I ask this because I had a couple of people say that it was good and I couldn't laugh at that thought process.

I've only heard bad things about, ever a positive word about it ... ever. The other people are the crazy ones.
^__^

I still haven't seen the 97 anime myself, never watched it because it's an incomplete story. I noticed it's on Funimation in Oz now though, should I watch it?

Labolas

I've only heard bad things about, ever a positive word about it ... ever. The other people are the crazy ones.
^__^

I still haven't seen the 97 anime myself, never watched it because it's an incomplete story. I noticed it's on Funimation in Oz now though, should I watch it?
Well, depends if you want a satisfying ending. Happosai Happosai didn't like the ending. I first watch the 97 series, love it, and got me to read the manga. Also there are the three CG movies which are pretty decent to good that covers the same material as the 97 series with minor differences. But yeah if you can watch 97 series, go for it.
The only positive things about it are the openings and the quality of the voice acting.
Yeah, same. I had to do a literal double-take and make sure they weren't referring to the 97 series but nope. Then again they're casuals when to anime and manga. Hell, they didn't know about the manga.

^__^

97 is a masterpiece, this series has extreme resonance with truth, many take it as metaphoric, but it is symbolic, and it is a reflection of the truth of the world.

Freedom, Free will, is nothing more than a delusion, a sweet fantasy, a sweet sweet lie, but it runs counter to all that is known, and to all logic and reason.

We are but slaves, there is no one who is free.

From king to pawn all bound to the rules of the game

Full metal alchemist Brotherhood spoiler, condensed element of same idea, the nature of reality

In a sense ignorance is a blessing, ignorance of the clockwork, of the chains that always bind you. But it is difficult not to see the evident when your eyes are open.

Last edited:

Sakura

The protagonist in Tokyo Revengers is insufferable and the plot doesn't really make much sense.
But the show is kind of addicting.

Labolas

The protagonist in Tokyo Revengers is insufferable and the plot doesn't really make much sense.
But the show is kind of addicting.
Insufferable in what way? Because I don't think he's a bad protag or even the series' weak points, he just isn't a typical shonen protag that just gets automatically strong just because.

The series is about him fucking with the timeline that affects other characters. Hell, it's more about the side characters than it is about the main character. But I'm sure Takemichi will come into his own.

Sakura

Insufferable in what way? Because I don't think he's a bad protag or even the series' weak points, he just isn't a typical shonen protag that just gets automatically strong just because.

The series is about him fucking with the timeline that affects other characters. Hell, it's more about the side characters than it is about the main character. But I'm sure Takemichi will come into his own.
Because he never actually does anything.
He'll have a goal, for example Naoto will tell him what his mission is or whatever, he will go back in time, and literally do nothing. He has no plan, he just runs around in circles, often he will forget what he was doing or important information, and the event will unfold just like it is supposed to in the timeline. The situation ends up getting saved by pure luck, or by someone else, or really just because he was there and not actually that he did anything.
For example the situation with Doraken
getting killed. What is his plan for averting this? Oh he doesn't have one. So what does he do? He asks Mikey to not fight with Mevius, and that is basically it. Then after that first fight with Osanai, and after Mikey and Doraken make up, he just completely forgets what he is doing, until suddenly shit hits the fan on the day where Doraken is historically supposed to have been killed and he's like, oh yeah!
After the fight starts, what does he do? He is just wandering around the fight looking for Doraken, and doesn't end up stopping him from getting stabbed.
So what's he do next? He uh, carries the injured Doraken somewhere. Ultimately Hina is the one who called an ambulance (why didn't he do that?) and his friends to save the day. Sure he stood his ground afterwards but there was no reason for him to be there in the first place.
Here is an idea, call the police before or as soon as the fight starts so they will come and break it up before Doraken gets stabbed. Or be the one who calls the ambulance. Or knock on the door of one of those houses he was walking by as he carried him. Where was he going to carry him to anyway? Bring him to the hospital on foot??
What I've read of the manga, it's just this over and over again.
It's like he is just there to watch events unfold, when really that is what we the viewer are supposed to be doing.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Well, depends if you want a satisfying ending. Happosai Happosai didn't like the ending. I first watch the 97 series, love it, and got me to read the manga. Also there are the three CG movies which are pretty decent to good that covers the same material as the 97 series with minor differences. But yeah if you can watch 97 series, go for it.

Yeah, same. I had to do a literal double-take and make sure they weren't referring to the 97 series but nope. Then again they're casuals when to anime and manga. Hell, they didn't know about the manga.
I'm not really going to go into my opinions on CG in anime but regarding Berserk 97. I don't mind anime with nihilistic endings. However, I critique anime with the mindset of an audience who doesn't know the manga (for any anime) and only knows the story on the screen. Aside from being nihilist and trying to follow this manga, it seems that the staff wasn't thinking much about television audience and their response. If you get your audience emotionally attached to a group of characters surrounding a main and kill everyone off without following up; that isn't going to win anyone over. That's me. Some are into that. For that movie GoShogun: Time Etranger, everyone dies at the end but the writers killed off the characters in a way that wouldn't piss of the audience who had watched the TV series from a few years prior to 1983.

Probably helps to know that I have a bias for anime which neither Americans or Japanese would like the fact that I've always preferred anime over manga. Main thing is I've been working since I was 12 and I don't have time to read 50 some odd manga volumes but if the story is in a basic movie, OVA, or maximum 26 episodic format...I can make the time.

Labolas

'm not really going to go into my opinions on CG in anime but regarding Berserk 97. I don't mind anime with nihilistic endings. However, I critique anime with the mindset of an audience who doesn't know the manga (for any anime) and only knows the story on the screen. Aside from being nihilist and trying to follow this manga, it seems that the staff wasn't thinking much about television audience and their response. If you get your audience emotionally attached to a group of characters surrounding a main and kill everyone off without following up; that isn't going to win anyone over. That's me. Some are into that. For that movie GoShogun: Time Etranger, everyone dies at the end but the writers killed off the characters in a way that wouldn't piss of the audience who had watched the TV series from a few years prior to 1983.

Probably helps to know that I have a bias for anime which neither Americans or Japanese would like the fact that I've always preferred anime over manga. Main thing is I've been working since I was 12 and I don't have time to read 50 some odd manga volumes but if the story is in a basic movie, OVA, or maximum 26 episodic format...I can make the time.
And yeah sure you're perfectly fine to feel that way and if there wasn't some sort of continuation I would probably feel the same, but it made me a fan of tv series and manga. It definitely is a classic in my eyes BECAUSE of the precedent it had set for me. It made me appreciate more dowery anime like Now and Then and Here and There and made me check the manga out(other series like 3x3 eyes, Battle Angel Alita, NGE)

Understandable, but I feel the same way about stuff long running like One Piece (not going to watch or read it.) But Berserk is that one exception, plus it isn't as long as some of the more popular stuff. If I'm a big enough fan of said basic movie, OVA, or 26 episodic tv series then I would check out the manga to see how it compares.
Because he never actually does anything.
He'll have a goal, for example Naoto will tell him what his mission is or whatever, he will go back in time, and literally do nothing. He has no plan, he just runs around in circles, often he will forget what he was doing or important information, and the event will unfold just like it is supposed to in the timeline. The situation ends up getting saved by pure luck, or by someone else, or really just because he was there and not actually that he did anything.
For example the situation with Doraken
getting killed. What is his plan for averting this? Oh he doesn't have one. So what does he do? He asks Mikey to not fight with Mevius, and that is basically it. Then after that first fight with Osanai, and after Mikey and Doraken make up, he just completely forgets what he is doing, until suddenly shit hits the fan on the day where Doraken is historically supposed to have been killed and he's like, oh yeah!
After the fight starts, what does he do? He is just wandering around the fight looking for Doraken, and doesn't end up stopping him from getting stabbed.
So what's he do next? He uh, carries the injured Doraken somewhere. Ultimately Hina is the one who called an ambulance (why didn't he do that?) and his friends to save the day. Sure he stood his ground afterwards but there was no reason for him to be there in the first place.
Here is an idea, call the police before or as soon as the fight starts so they will come and break it up before Doraken gets stabbed. Or be the one who calls the ambulance. Or knock on the door of one of those houses he was walking by as he carried him. Where was he going to carry him to anyway? Bring him to the hospital on foot??
It's like he is just there to watch events unfold, when really that is what we the viewer are supposed to be doing.
The character is supposed to be an absent-minded weak character. He isn't really a proactive character. That's who he is. He isn't to make a stance about anything. Hell, he's constantly apologizing for stuff he shouldn't be apologizing for at the beginning. And again the story isn't on focus him so much as it is on the gang. It is shown for examples you gave that he isn't that forward-thinking. I think that his wanting to do what's right most of the time failing miserably is what's endearing about him.

KielCasto

I would’ve missed this if YouTube didn’t recommend it. A short anime from Studio Ponoc inspired by Olympic values. I wish it was shown in the Olympics opening.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Watching Magical Knight RayEarth to fill in the slots of shows I haven't watched to play SRW T & 30.

Also rewatching Wolf's Rain, good show but some of the reused animation for the running sequences. Whew.

Look at the current airing anime and honestly... It looks trash. 😐

Celcius

°Temp. member
Finished watching Mobile Suit Gundam: Origins yesterday and it was far better than I expected. Now they've got me wishing they would remake the entire 1979 original. I think Char is definitely my favorite Gundam villain now.

Tomorrow I'll watch the 00 gundam movie at last...

Shouta

anyone read latest one shot 20 years anniversary Bleach?

there is cliffhanger with new character and new plot set up

Bleach gonna continue?

Just read it and that was pretty decent? It reminded me a lot more of early Bleach more than anything. If it comes back full time and Kubo can maintain this, it might be pretty good.

Kumomeme

Just read it and that was pretty decent? It reminded me a lot more of early Bleach more than anything. If it comes back full time and Kubo can maintain this, it might be pretty good.
end of the chapter even said "Hell Arc"

need to wait for official translation for this.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I finished watching the Gundam 00 movie and it was just as wild as I had heard. I like that it kept me guessing throughout the entire movie. Now to decide what series to dive into next...

Orion2

Banned
finished Quintessential Quintuplets Season 2 in one sitting, liked it, but then I went and read some later manga stuff, including the ending, and wow what a dogshit ending, so I won't watch any further seasons if they come out, this is where I take my exist form this story, another great anime ruined by a shitty manga ending, this makes three in a year for me with AOT and We Never Learn

Celcius

°Temp. member
Sony has acquired Crunchyroll.

Interesting.
Crunchyroll's website and app are FAR better for me so I'm hoping they just keep those and add more content over from Funimation. I'm assuming there will be a new name and then just a single app going forward.

That is what all main characters do they observe, their actions are nothing more than symbolic gestures from the authors.

Besides the act of observation alone can alter a system's evolution per quantum mechanics, iirc.
anyone read latest one shot 20 years anniversary Bleach?

there is cliffhanger with new character and new plot set up

Bleach gonna continue?
Let's hope it continues.

There is no reason why series should ever end, any series, ending is good but continuation is also good.

Kumomeme

That is what all main characters do they observe, their actions are nothing more than symbolic gestures from the authors.

Besides the act of observation alone can alter a system's evolution per quantum mechanics, iirc.

Let's hope it continues.

There is no reason why series should ever end, any series, ending is good but continuation is also good.
by first chapter ofthis one shot, this could be very good arc. i dont mind even if it end up once per month with over 30 pages like dragon ball super. just hope tite kubo take his sweet time for it.

Nikodemos

I've finally gotten around to watching Simoun (about 5 years after I said I would).

Man, it's a pretty depressing anime. Not Girls' Last Tour tier, but just below Kino no Tabi.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Watching the latest episodes of one piece, zoro can cut fucking mountains and sanji can't even beat the shit out of the ninja with the brush, why the author hate him so much?!

Did he only trained that fucking air-walk in 2 years?!

Last edited:

sol_bad

I've been reading the Assassination Classroom manga, currently up to volume 17. It has been very average but I've still found it entertaining. I'm amazed that we don't get any decent characterisation or background on any characters until about volume 14. We finally learn about Nagisa and what his home life is like, something to latch on to and relate to. And then in volume 15 or 16 we finally learn about Koro-Sensei.

I really wish these things would have occurred earlier, at least for the readers so we have some sort of understanding of what is happening. The students can still find out about him in the later volumes but the readers should have learnt it much earlier.

Not to much to go, interested to see how it ends.

*EDIT*
This made me laugh a lot.

fpyKQYs.jpg

Last edited:

Labolas

Man what fucking disappointment Godzilla Singular Point is. At first, I like the animation and a few of the characters then I knew the shit hit the fan when they reveal Rodan. Like, I'll admit I'm a bit of Rodan fanboy but Jesus, it angers me to see how they handle him in this. Not only that the animation of the kaiju isn't the best, really subpar in parts. And the worst part is that the series is JUST exposition just a lot of characters just fucking talking and that's it. It got to a point where I was fast-forwarding through a lot of scenes. And the funny part is I'm not even finished with it. I'm at the point of just wanting to see Godzilla because you don't see him until midway thru the series and it's his first form. So yeah this is more or less taking stuff from Shin Godzilla and trying to make it work but it doesn't. Honestly I feel this should have an easy slam dunk but this is a disappointment so far as a Godzilla fan and an anime fan.

NahaNago

Man what fucking disappointment Godzilla Singular Point is. At first, I like the animation and a few of the characters then I knew the shit hit the fan when they reveal Rodan. Like, I'll admit I'm a bit of Rodan fanboy but Jesus, it angers me to see how they handle him in this. Not only that the animation of the kaiju isn't the best, really subpar in parts. And the worst part is that the series is JUST exposition just a lot of characters just fucking talking and that's it. It got to a point where I was fast-forwarding through a lot of scenes. And the funny part is I'm not even finished with it. I'm at the point of just wanting to see Godzilla because you don't see him until midway thru the series and it's his first form. So yeah this is more or less taking stuff from Shin Godzilla and trying to make it work but it doesn't. Honestly I feel this should have an easy slam dunk but this is a disappointment so far as a Godzilla fan and an anime fan.
That is something I need to finish as well. I knew it was going to bad going in after I saw the trailer. They went just a little too crazy with the story in this anime.

Labolas

That is something I need to finish as well. I knew it was going to bad going in after I saw the trailer. They went just a little too crazy with the story in this anime.
Which is funny because they didn't need to do that. Why it worked in Shin Godzilla was because it was parodying the Japanese government with how procedural they over there and at least it was more condensed. In this, it is episodes upon episodes of that, and it's not even funny or even interesting, it's a slog to get through

NahaNago

Which is funny because they didn't need to do that. Why it worked in Shin Godzilla was because it was parodying the Japanese government with how procedural they over there and at least it was more condensed. In this, it is episodes upon episodes of that, and it's not even funny or even interesting, it's a slog to get through
I would have loved it if it had a more serious government type reaction story to godzilla fighting monsters. Maybe like a more serious anime like a patlabor style movie but with godzilla.

Also the female lead in most of the episodes I have watched didn't even seem to even be necessary for the series and I felt like simply someone they added for cuteness and charm with her and the a.i. I really thought she would be a main part of the story with her being the viewers opinion on the craziness of her world.

Last edited:

Labolas

I would have loved it if it had a more serious government type reaction story to godzilla fighting monsters. Maybe like a more serious anime like a patlabor style movie but with godzilla.

Also the female lead in most of the episodes I have watched didn't even seem to even be necessary for the series and I felt like simply someone they added for cuteness and charm with her and the a.i. I really thought she would be a main part of the story with her being the viewers opinion on the craziness of her world.
Yeah, that could have worked as well. More focused on government officials handling Godzilla or other kaiju.

Lol, it was mostly her scenes I skipped.

NahaNago

Yeah, that could have worked as well. More focused on government officials handling Godzilla or other kaiju.

Lol, it was mostly her scenes I skipped.
I found her scenes with the a.i. to be adorable but worthless so they kind of do the job. I'm guessing she was made for the waifu loving crowd.

Celcius

°Temp. member
This month I'm taking advantage of my Amazon Prime trial and today I found Sword Oratoria: Is it Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? On the Side.
I've seen seasons 1 - 3 and the OVAs but I had no idea that this side season existed so I've been enjoying it so far. I have to admit, Amazon Prime has some good stuff that you can't find anywhere else (crunchyroll and funimation don't have it or the Evangelion movies).

Last edited:

Shouta

Sword Oratoria is okay but it's kind of boring since it takes place concurrently with Season 1 or so and there's really nothing interesting happening for most of it. It also doesn't help that Lefiya is kind of annoying, at least to me.

I really like the guild leaders (Finn, Gareth, and Riviera) but they don't get that much time in the show compared to the lower members who aren't as good, I think.

Top Bottom