• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.3%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 38.1%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 36 17.8%

• Total voters
Watching Heike Monogatari, it's really good.

cROTbvd.jpg

sol_bad

Ya we made the mistake of not looking up a guide and watched every episode of Naruto… but now I have a filler watch list so we’ll be skipping all non manga episodes going forward.

Wife and I just finished the first bunch of filler eps for Shippuden and enjoyed them. Big step up from standard Naruto. I won't lie though, I was a bit bored of the filler ark by the last 2 episodes. Started off good though with lots of potential.

Last edited:

KielCasto

I'm watching the Read or Die series now. The OVA was great, and the tv series has been slower but with good moments. The art style is nostalgic. I wish more modern anime had thicker lines.

Labolas

I'm watching the Read or Die series now. The OVA was great, and the tv series has been slower but with good moments. The art style is nostalgic. I wish more modern anime had thicker lines.
Eh, I enjoyed R.O.D the Tv series way more. The OVA is light on plot and characters, but that's where the tv series shined for me.

Can y'all help me
I like Yu Yu Hakusho (minus the filler with the baby and the furry announcers and stuff)
I think Urameshi is relatable and the designs are strong

tumblr_nz0bwzfge81tes8zmo1_r1_540.gif

So based on that, people tell me to watch HxH...
But the designs look horrendous. Especially the main character who looks ripped from Digimon.

hunterxhuntermangareturning.gif

If I dislike the off-model sweat bubble unfunny "comedy" of YYH's filler, will I like HxH?
This looks amazing to me

tenor.gif

And this makes me cringe

2ac92b42b42181d749f76b4ff45c2a90.gif
Hunter x Hunter changes it's tone constantly. sometimes you get stuff like the Yorkshin or Chimera ants arc, where the series turns into a dark psychological anime in my opinion, comparable to Neon Genesis Evangelion with the adult themes and characters getting destroyed emotionally, but then you have Greed Island inbetween those two arcs, wich is very comparable to YuYu's filler mixed with a bad isekai, mixed with a bad Yugioh clone. and then there's the first and last arcs of the anime, Hunter's Exam and Elections arc, both of wich strike more of a balance between the two, with the fomer having a mix between lighthearted and dark. akin to an average shonen.

there's also the fact 2011 HxH is very censored, and the adaptation being more rushed than YYH or the original 1999 version of HxH. let alone the original HxH manga.

oh yeah, sorry for the late reply i didn't realize how early this was.

Last edited:
for anime i'm watching, i decided to watch Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters of all things, and it's big a guilty pleassure of mine, i watched it because i liked Season Zero a lot, and was dying to see how the story continued, of course i coud've switched to the manga, but eh, decided to get all the classic YGO! experience stuff with the filler and everything. of course i watched it in Japanese, subbed, because fuck the 4Kids dub and it's shadow realm. not gonna lie i kinda like it, although i've heard the manga was better, but i only read the first volume, may check the full thing later.

i'm currently enjoying the Battle City arc. also "light" Yugi is still adorable as always.

Last edited:

KielCasto

Eh, I enjoyed R.O.D the Tv series way more. The OVA is light on plot and characters, but that's where the tv series shined for me.
The characters are good. Good backstories and characterization especially of the three sisters and Nenene. I'm only on episode 10, so I might change my opinion on which is better.

sol_bad

I'm not a fan of the series retreading the same story arc, seems a bit pointless if the movie is a condensed version of that arc. I haven't read the manga so have no idea.

Wife and I are currently watching Kaiji after enjoying Squid Games, pretty addictive anime imo.

Also reading Rosario + Vampire, finished the first "season". It's a bit ecchi and simple fun.
IBqS7tH.jpg

Last edited:

NahaNago

Watched that last pokemon tarzan movie. It's called Secret of the Jungle. Pretty much a combination of tarzan and cameron avatar. The budget seems a bit smaller this time around. I'd give this movie a rating of B- since it seems kind of like a made for tv pokemon movie. Ash is more of a secondary character this time and you focus mainly on the tarzan like kid which is nice since Ash can be annoying at times.

R.5e5edc5104c28e29b138622267794ac0

Doom85

I watched the first two episodes of The Vampire Dies in No Time, it’s a pretty decent comedy.

I believe the first episode of Komi Can’t Communicate should be available today for the US Netflix. Very excited, I’ve read the first 11 volumes of the manga, it’s such a great series. I just hope it will be 24-26 episodes and not 12-13 as one of my favorite characters, Katai, probably won’t appear in time if it’s the latter amount. Granted, a Season 2 seems likely, and I’m just happy it’s finally got an anime.

Pejo

God damn Mushoku Tensei is so good. It doesn't really do anything special on paper, but the presentation, music, worldbuilding and the feel of adventure always drags me in. I didn't catch the first season until it was finished, so this week-to-week waiting sucks really bad for me right now.

The OST is just fantastic. I love how the intro plays with the unique opening of each episode.

This is one of those anime that just does what it does really well.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just finished watching Nagatoro. At first I didn’t think I would like it but I really enjoyed it and hope there’s a season 2.

I also want to watch mobile suit gundam Hathaway but I don’t have Netflix.

Valonquar

I'm a few episodes into Wonder Egg Priority. It's... weird, and I suspect it will get depressing by the end.

Also in the depressing camp... Eighty Six about military drones except they arent actually drones, and are piloted by 3rd class citizens

It's terminator except with more robots and idol singers... Vivy looks interesting enough

My backlog in far too large at this point.

sol_bad

Wife and I just finished Sonny Boy, that ending, Jesus christ.
Still making out way through season 2 of Kaiji as well.

Labolas

Been watching GunXSword slowly but it's enjoyable. Having more of a good time watching it than Cannon Busters. Manga-wise been reading Slave of the Magic Capital's Elite Troops, a really interesting premise of the world's class system seemingly being a matriarchy and the men are treated as second class citizens because women only are to get special abilities through a special fruit, and that allows them to fight Shuuki, monsters from a dimension called Mato. MC gets his power through submitting and kissing one of the captains. It's pretty ecchi and I would actually classify this as a harem manga, but I do think this is entertaining.
20190623152509327.jpg

20190623152522228.jpg

20190623152523180.jpg

NahaNago

Arguing with my coworker over his opinion that the devil slayer movie is the best anime movie of all time. Like I know it made tons of money but the movie was merely decent to good. We ask another coworker what her favorite movie was and it was perfect blue and that just threw me off. I barely even remember that movie. Mine is Summer Wars. I don't think it is the best anime movie but I just love the family setting and the virtual world that reminds me of digimon.

Doom85

Arguing with my coworker over his opinion that the devil slayer movie is the best anime movie of all time. Like I know it made tons of money but the movie was merely decent to good. We ask another coworker what her favorite movie was and it was perfect blue and that just threw me off. I barely even remember that movie. Mine is Summer Wars. I don't think it is the best anime movie but I just love the family setting and the virtual world that reminds me of digimon.

My top 5 would be:

1. A Silent Voice
2. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
3. End of Evangelion
4. Rebuild of Evangelion 2.22
5. Ghost in the Shell (1995)

Not sure what my 6-10 would be, but Summer Wars would most likely be there, as well as Spirited Away and Your Name.

And yeah, the Demon Slayer movie was great but I wouldn’t rank it THAT high. Especially since apparently it’s being put into episode format for the first part of Season 2 with added scenes from the manga so the movie will be more or less irrelevant after that.

Also, you might know this, but the director of Summer Wars also previously directed the short Digimon movie where Tai and Izzy fight the virus Digimon with eventual help from Matt and T.K.

NahaNago

My top 5 would be:

1. A Silent Voice
2. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
3. End of Evangelion
4. Rebuild of Evangelion 2.22
5. Ghost in the Shell (1995)

Not sure what my 6-10 would be, but Summer Wars would most likely be there, as well as Spirited Away and Your Name.

And yeah, the Demon Slayer movie was great but I wouldn’t rank it THAT high. Especially since apparently it’s being put into episode format for the first part of Season 2 with added scenes from the manga so the movie will be more or less irrelevant after that.

Also, you might know this, but the director of Summer Wars also previously directed the short Digimon movie where Tai and Izzy fight the virus Digimon with eventual help from Matt and T.K.
Okay that makes sense about the digimon movie I thought it seemed very familiar. I didn't know that the movie were 2 different movies put together. I thought they just wanted 2 different styles for the movie. I thought the demon slayer movie was just solid. Like it barely stood out to me. I think that part where the guy was screaming that his friend didn't lose was about it for me.

My top five would be
  1. Summer Wars
  2. princess mononoke
  3. howl's moving castle
  4. ghost in the shell
  5. and I'll have to think about this one.
I'd probably give number 5 to a One Piece movie but some of the Naruto movies were really good. The One Piece Film Z's ending was very touching. Paprika was also amazing. I completely forgot about Your Name and Weather with You. How could I forgot about those 2!!! Those 2 movies were absolutely amazing. The Ghibli films were simply movies that have always been in my top 5. Hmm, Vampire hunter D movies were also good especially the second one. I honestly haven't seen any of the evangelion movies ,only watched the series. I do remember really liking the sailor moon and inuyasha movies in the past. Some of the first few Pokemon movie were also pretty good and I'd rank those as being better than Demon Slayer. Almost forgot about the patlabor and Macross movies. Princess Mononoke, Summer Wars, and Howl's moving Castle have always been in my top 3 but Your Name and Weather with You really makes me think that I might need to update my top 3. I think I'm going to have to marathon a bunch of anime movies cause my memory of them is kinda weak right now and I can't believe it is this late/early time for bed.

Heike Monogatari ended being very good, waiting for the last episode.

hUaBMUN.jpeg

We can separate by taste and by quality.
There's a lot of movies that I love, but that I wouldn't include on a list if someone asked about "which ones are the best".

Last edited:
Is your coworker younger than 25? That would explain his opinion.

Similarly, I suspect the other coworker is older.

I found the Demon Slayer film to be insufferable despite the excellent production values. The characters are obnoxious and the humor terrible.

If I were to pick films I would consider to be among the best of all time, I would include:
Nausicaa
Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Ninja Scroll
Cowboy Bebop: Heaven’s Door
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Legend of the Galactic Heroes: My Conquest is a Sea of Stars
End of Evangelion
Redline
Golgo 13: The Professional

Last edited:

NahaNago

We can separate by taste and by quality.
There's a lot of movies that I love, but that I wouldn't include on a list if someone asked about "which ones are the best".
Yep I agree , although Summer Wars is my favorite anime movie I wouldn't say it is anywhere near the best but simply suits my taste.
Is your coworker younger than 25? That would explain his opinion.

Similarly, I suspect the other coworker is older.

I found the Demon Slayer film to be insufferable despite the excellent production values. The characters are obnoxious and the humor terrible.

If I were to pick films I would consider to be among the best of all time, I would include:
Nausicaa
Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Ninja Scroll
Cowboy Bebop: Heaven’s Door
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Legend of the Galactic Heroes: My Conquest is a Sea of Stars
End of Evangelion
Redline
Golgo 13: The Professional
I'm pretty sure they are both younger than 25. The demon slayer movie lover is a young black guy and the perfect blue fan was a young white gal and they both should be early 20s.

I always just feel bad for the girlfriend that dies in Akira. It just really bothers me. I always thought Nausicaa was one of the weaker Ghibli films . I may need to rewatch it.

Need to use a different word for "always"

Last edited:
Yep I agree , although Summer Wars is my favorite anime movie I wouldn't say it is anywhere near the best but simply suits my taste.

I'm pretty sure they are both younger than 25. The demon slayer movie lover is a young black guy and the perfect blue fan was a young white gal and they both should be early 20s.

I always just feel bad for the girlfriend that dies in Akira. It just really bothers me. I always thought Nausicaa was one of the weaker Ghibli films . I may need to rewatch it.

Need to use a different word for "always"
Likewise, I'm not a fan of characters that die for no signficant reason.

I picked Nausicaa cause iirc it's a milestone in Miyazaki's career and is a film that anyone can enjoy. But now that I'm writing this, Princess Mononke might fit the bill just as well. My personal favorite Miyazaki work is Porco Rosso but it's clearly not as influencial or fondly remembered.

NahaNago

Likewise, I'm not a fan of characters that die for no signficant reason.

I picked Nausicaa cause iirc it's a milestone in Miyazaki's career and is a film that anyone can enjoy. But now that I'm writing this, Princess Mononke might fit the bill just as well. My personal favorite Miyazaki work is Porco Rosso but it's clearly not as influencial or fondly remembered.
Porco Rosso is a classic as well. Wasn't it heavily rumored that they were thinking about making a sequel or was that just a fan made rumored.

manfestival

Can anyone recommend me shows from this season and last? Currently watching Odd Taxi and 86 since I am still kinda on THAT season. Prefer some action, mecha, drama, or suspense. Been waiting on Chainsaw man ever since I saw the trailer.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Can anyone recommend me shows from this season and last? Currently watching Odd Taxi and 86 since I am still kinda on THAT season. Prefer some action, mecha, drama, or suspense. Been waiting on Chainsaw man ever since I saw the trailer.
Ranking of Kings is all I can suggest for quality.

For trash writing entertainment Platinum End.

Watched a few clips of Stone Ocean and the quality is POOR. I'm not a fan of Stone Ocean but oh my god Netflix did a number on this series production, CG frogs, CG backgrounds, CG fans. Holyshit.

Last edited:

Doom85

New series?

Isn’t this the continuation of the unadapted parts of the original manga? They had announced it earlier, I assume this is it.

Honestly, divided if I should watch it. I love episodes 1-63 of Bleach, honestly some of my personal favorite arcs in shonen, but I switched to the manga after that and the story slowly dipped in quality for me until it was just downright bad IMHO. I read up to the defeat of Aizen which is what the original anime ended on, but never read further. I had had enough.

I’ve heard some say the arcs after this are much better, but I dunno. Having said that, I do want to support the mangaka Tite Kubo as he got death threats and such from people who freaked out over where the manga went (fucking Christ, does every fandom have to have these jackasses? You didn’t like a thing, move on with your life), and I feel bad for the guy. I did buy his mini-series spinoff manga Burn the Witch as that recently got a physical release in the US, just need to read it sometime. So I might watch a few episodes purely to show support, and hey if I’m liking what I see, I‘ll stick around.

Kenpachii

Isn’t this the continuation of the unadapted parts of the original manga? They had announced it earlier, I assume this is it.

Honestly, divided if I should watch it. I love episodes 1-63 of Bleach, honestly some of my personal favorite arcs in shonen, but I switched to the manga after that and the story slowly dipped in quality for me until it was just downright bad IMHO. I read up to the defeat of Aizen which is what the original anime ended on, but never read further. I had had enough.

I’ve heard some say the arcs after this are much better, but I dunno. Having said that, I do want to support the mangaka Tite Kubo as he got death threats and such from people who freaked out over where the manga went (fucking Christ, does every fandom have to have these jackasses? You didn’t like a thing, move on with your life), and I feel bad for the guy. I did buy his mini-series spinoff manga Burn the Witch as that recently got a physical release in the US, just need to read it sometime. So I might watch a few episodes purely to show support, and hey if I’m liking what I see, I‘ll stick around.

No clue, i found the early content awful. i liked the heaven area they where in with all those captains doing crazy shit, kenpachi was my favorite no tricks just pure strenght with a gigantic sword. From what i saw they finally where going to move in after aizen in the books towards kings place + see that kenpachi guy use his ultimate so kinda wanna see this being pushed forwards.

Also really like aizen arc, well done part.

Labolas

Jojo part 6 is good but boy does feel like they're moving rather fast thru the arc. I was surprised by how fast Puchi was introduced.

Read a horror manga called Monkey Peak. Shows how monkeys are just a bunch of assholes. Also really like protag, got strong Guts vibes from him. Gets a recommend from me.
iu

Labolas

Found two relatively new seinen mangas that I'm going to keep my eye on; the first is Gigantis, it's basically if the Thing was let loose in Japan.
iu

iu

iu

iu
The other is Yomotsuhegui: Fruit of the Underworld. The story so far is following an ex-cop who is sent to prison for killing his wife and daughter's murderers, but it turns out when he is released from prison one of them is still alive. He then tries to go after him, and I'll leave it there. It's only one chapter so far, but I am intrigued by where this is going.

iu

Both are horror manga that gets a recommendation.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I ordered the first volume of the perfect edition soul eater manga. I was looking for recommendations for other nice hardcover or collected editions of manga. I'm aware of the berserk and hellsing uber editions. Anything else out there?

Top Bottom