• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Read the Shibuya arc in JJK and onward. This series does have problems, needed more time with the cast and the curse grading system is whack for when the series want to attempt Togashi battle narrative. But aside from that the arc itself GOES IN, anime only viewers are gonna get blown the fuck away. MC loses, characters die, some form of stakes and the end result isn't a positive. Just rare for Shounen shit to even have the balls to do that.

Also started reading Elfen Lied cuz I bought it all before that shit goes OOP. Volume 1 of the omnibus already isn't easy to get. Only a few chapters in and the art looks like something from an early 2000s Dreamcast doujin.

Laughed at this though:

Ld4ZizK.jpg

It was a different time.

-Minsc-

Read the Shibuya arc in JJK and onward. This series does have problems, needed more time with the cast and the curse grading system is whack for when the series want to attempt Togashi battle narrative. But aside from that the arc itself GOES IN, anime only viewers are gonna get blown the fuck away. MC loses, characters die, some form of stakes and the end result isn't a positive. Just rare for Shounen shit to even have the balls to do that.

Also started reading Elfen Lied cuz I bought it all before that shit goes OOP. Volume 1 of the omnibus already isn't easy to get. Only a few chapters in and the art looks like something from an early 2000s Dreamcast doujin.

Laughed at this though:

Ld4ZizK.jpg

It was a different time.
Would you say, A Bright Time?

It's a shame, but every time a new Historie chapter appears I get mad instead of glad.
What the author is doing!
Taking so long to publish the chapter, that are publish in draft form and are usually half the number of pages. To make things worse there's little content, just a short scene stretched on those pages, it's maddening!

Labolas

Finished Dolly Kill Kill, it's good but it does have problems.

iu

Plot Summary (from Manganato): Humanity's peaceful days all at once transform into an unspeakably odious hell. The sudden invasion of wasp-like insects, along with gargantuan "dolls" wielding their enormous alien weapons, annihilating everyone in their path. In the middle of the chaos, high school first-year, Iruma Ikaruga, fights to save his best friend and his beloved senpai from the dolls' assault with an unyielding spirit. However, all that awaits him is despair. Just what are the enormous puppets known as "Dolly" after? What fate awaits Iruma? The curtain has risen on humanity's "puppet show" of unimaginable despair, and the battle for survival has begun.

What starts off as a horror manga with an interesting protag turns into a typical battle shonen series. While normally I tend to dislike battle shonen for being formulaic and predictible, if the premise is interesting enough I'll bite. I may not enjoy it but I'll try it out. Unfortunately, while I enjoy the first half of the manga more, my enjoyment was wading in the second half of the series because of the shonen battle schtick. What I like is the art is pretty good and readable. The character designs are distinct and you can tell each character apart. Iruma is sort of an edge lord but it works given the context of the story. The side characters, who have powers similar to Iruma, are given time to shine as well. I would say the first half is more horror and then the second is just battle shonen. This also has a similar setup as Hakaijuu and Green Worldz. Ultimately, I still liked the series but the shonen stuff, how Iruma was rushed to progress as a character and how the series was wrapped up as a whole really held it back for me. (Finished. 7/10)

Pejo

Saw the first episode of Summer Time Rendering. Was pretty much sold on the first episode. Animation is pretty clean looking as well. Really has a good hook to pull you in the story. Recommended for sure.
Just to touch on this, I loved the first episode, but I'm not sure how I felt about the second. I guess we'll see when the story gets moving a bit more, but I felt that they did the big reveal a bit too early. Who knows what they have planned though, maybe it gets cuhhhraaazy.

Spy x Family is the hit of the season for me, personally. So far at least.

I liked past Shield Hero stuff, but this new season has yet to grab me.

I forget the name, but the new "i'm a reincarnated demon king" anime has been more enjoyable than the average ones. At least the animation looks like they're trying a bit.

"Insomniacs After School" is a preciosity, soon there will be another translated volume.
Time to take this opportunity to catch up.

P4n55MT.jpg

Last edited:
well Gundam OO release 5 years later after Seed and the animation still hold well today.

but in term of storyline, drama, romance, military and politics Seed is miles better. the character also more vulnerable. it feel close to our real world. personally for me due to these reason, Seed is better starting point than OO as it also feel 'closer' to the older gundam series.

OO world setting is more futuristic with physic power characters and stuff than Seed and the Gundam also way crazy powerfull like one man army.

depend on preferences. both is great. but Seed is a bit dated in term of animation.
OO is my favorite Gundam. Also had killer opening songs

drganon

I'm almost done with fma brotherhood. I've got about a dozen episodes left. Finished up excel saga as well. That was one weird anime. I've also started watching a couple of new stuff, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid and spy x family. Both have been pretty entertaining so far.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'm almost done with fma brotherhood. I've got about a dozen episodes left. Finished up excel saga as well. That was one weird anime. I've also started watching a couple of new stuff, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid and spy x family. Both have been pretty entertaining so far.
Oh wow. Excel Saga. That takes me back. That's a fun dub. They go ham.

Doom85

Does anyone prefer FMA 2003 to Brotherhood?
I was just watching some parts here and there after so many years and it just feels more interesting and better directed.
Animation was superb too.

Hot take here:

FMA 03 is superior in Ed’s development, having more Hughes screen time (as he’s my favorite character), has a better set up, more moral ambiguity, and music
Brotherhood is superior in Al’s development, a stronger supporting cast, higher stakes, best girl Olivia (come at me, Hawkeye fans…JK, you do you, it’s all good), and a stronger ending (03 ends well with its series, but the movie has some issues)

So, my personal preference overall?

season 6 episode 25 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

(also worth noting is that Studio Bones consulted with the mangaka regarding 03’s original second half. So it’s not ”disrespecting her vision” or anything like that)

So, knowing how many feel, I can respect not liking 03. HAVING SAID THAT, I do not appreciate people calling it an irrelevant anime. I have heard this take countless times and it pisses me off. 03 FMA was what got a lot of people into anime back then. Hell, while I had seen Pokémon, Digimon, and DBZ, it was FMA 03 that truly got me to dive into the anime well. Who knows how long it might have taken for me to check out this wonderful medium if it weren’t for that show.

So dislike it all you want, but take it further than that to a personal level, and you’ve got me pissed off even more than Ed when he’s called short.

full metal alchemist GIF

Labolas

iu

Read Tenkaichi Nihon Saikyo up to the current chapter. It's basically Record Of Ragnarok but with legends of the Sengoku period of Japan. So you get characters like Oda Nobunaga, Hattori Hanzo, and Honda Tadakatsu in an over the top setting in 1600s Japan. Oda Nobunaga is unified all of Japan but is dying so he decides to choose a successor through a tournament of all the strongest warriors in Japan. Each warrior is represent by a different lord. I believe the manga is up to like 20 chapters so far. It's decent so far but it doesn't really have any substance to the story other than the action. Honestly the only reason I read this was because of this character:
25-1640941940.jpg

00da9423bf765ceecaee4c322764078a.jpg

72e8bab37a5b8eb1f19d81b907b9d68b.jpg

274699501_1960178500856789_6233745911982288287_n.jpg

279179553_693907875189511_4159411185666036383_n.jpg
rubbing hands GIF

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I somehow just found out about Mob Psycho III being a thing that will be real soon

Looks like a full reveal is coming on the 12th

Fbh

Glad I gave 86 a second chance.
Didn't like it when it originally came out and dropped it after 3 episodes. But after seeing lot of positive comments around I gave it a second chance and started enjoying it after a couple more chapters (when stuff actually starts to happen).
I read there's a ton more content in the light novels so hopefully there's a season 3.

Does anyone prefer FMA 2003 to Brotherhood?
I was just watching some parts here and there after so many years and it just feels more interesting and better directed.
Animation was superb too.

I still prefer the story from the manga so ultimately I do like Brotherhood better and it's the one I recommend people to watch.
But I much prefer the look and sound of the 2003 version. It had some really nice animation, much better music (like damn, some of the scenes in Brotherhood feel incomplete without that Brothers track) and a darker tone which I liked better

Honzuki S3E5/31

aLyAuGy.jpg

xeKzGEE.jpg

Every episode reminds me how I desire to see the protagonist using all this power she has to burn "the rotten corupt world".
Yes, I understand that she came from Japan and the Island is not the best example of society on these questions, but even so, having lived in some place more "normal" and now living and witnessing this society of MUCH castes, it's strange if she doesn't think that something is wrong and that could change a little.

Oh, Delia. Despite all it seems inevitable that will cheer her horrible sordid death...

TDNYt5P.jpg

Very well, talking about the talk with the Priest about possible consequences of the mass production of books (and what about the alphabetization rate?), that is just one of the "possible" consequences, one.
This world is very different, and I think that putting in place some regulation and censorship over the published contents would be enough. The biggest immediate impact would be breaking the artisans cooperatives that make the books manually.
They touch on this consequences just to right after leave it aside as if of minor importance.
No matter how powerful the nobles can be in this world with it's magic, below them there are also a powerful "bourgeois" merchant class
with zero interest in letting the status quo change. With some care would be possible to start a little industrial revolution. The proliferation of Myne's press could serve as inspiration for others to work on their own new contraptions, which in turn would be more faster disseminated through the books. These merchants could perform a little modernization in their closed society, profit a lot and still keep the rabble below them, all that without the nobles needing to do anything. Because after all, that caused the Protestant Reformation wasn't the press, was the ideas that were already circulating.
Interests me more seeing the story going in this direction instead of hinting to any revolution to topple the nobles.

6mOyBlL.jpg

And this caught my attention.
Of course we know very well that he hides his true intentions and also that he is using Myne, or at least planning to.
Everything points that his concern is really just and only Myne's security, not the consequences of her inventions. After all that discussion in he end he only says, "don't do this today, wait until tomorrow".
In other words, he only wants to make sure that Myne will put her brook factory to work after she has the necessary legal protection. As soon as she has this guarantee, and it could be yesterday, she can work.
I wouldn't be surprised in seeing he starting to suggest authors for her books. After all, there's that paper and dye merchant that was after Myne and mysteriously died... "mysteriously". Can bet that he wants to control exactly what merchants have access to Myne's inventions.

Last edited:

nikolino840

I'm seeing the best anime ever 😍

Dropkick on my Devil

I'm watching the season 2 on crunchyroll (the First season Is on Amazon prime)
(In Italy at least)

Ftt7jfr.jpg

Too bad that the manga Is not aviable in Italy.... :(

Glad I gave 86 a second chance.
Didn't like it when it originally came out and dropped it after 3 episodes. But after seeing lot of positive comments around I gave it a second chance and started enjoying it after a couple more chapters (when stuff actually starts to happen).
I read there's a ton more content in the light novels so hopefully there's a season 3.

I still prefer the story from the manga so ultimately I do like Brotherhood better and it's the one I recommend people to watch.
But I much prefer the look and sound of the 2003 version. It had some really nice animation, much better music (like damn, some of the scenes in Brotherhood feel incomplete without that Brothers track) and a darker tone which I liked better
Soundtrack wise FMA 2003 is way better.

I also like how complicated it was to kill the Homunculus in the 2003 version compared to Brotherhood.

I still prefer Brotherhood since it follows the manga much more closely

Last edited:

Fbh

Soundtrack wise FMA 2003 is way better.

I also like how complicated it was to kill the Homunculus in the 2003 version compared to Brotherhood.

I still prefer Brotherhood since it follows the manga much more closely

Man I'd love a FMA 2003 style remake but with the story from the manga.

I also liked the darker tone in general.
Look at the opening scene when they try to revive their mother. In the 2003 version when Ed looses his arm and leg it's bloody and messy and transmits the horror of the situation. In FMA it almost looks like his leg is being digitized or something

I have been watching Rising of the Shield Hero Season 2. Before that I really enjoyed Mushoku Tensei.

I can't wait for Goblin Slayer season 2

Last edited:
Anyone watched the Full Metal Panic anime?

There's 4 seasons and they are all fantastic.

I'm thinking of reading the light novels
Long-time fan here. Watched it around 2014 if I recall right. It’s one of my favorite mecha shows. Great main characters, superb humor, cool mecha action with rad designs. FMP introduced a lot of interesting ideas to the genre and managed to differentiate itself from the generic real mecha show (as in human vs human conflict with down-to-earth mechas). The fourth season was excellent despite the CGI. I still hold on hope for a fifth season. It would be a shame not to conclude the story.

Otoyomegatari #102

8tW4CNS.jpg

Riding the steppes and stealing brides.

iIqnJNr.jpg

What a man!
Best bro!
(but oh Baimat... it's so like you)

Now that most of the brides are married this story about brides needed to introduce new ones.
Couldn't be different, most of the characters have no reason to appear anymore, new characters closer to the incoming action were necessary. And contrary to what I used to think I don't expected to see anyone dying, really.
Just look at they, they're simply too cool to die.

A93tNUj.jpg

Labolas

Finished another manga.

Igyoujin Oniwakamaru​

igyoujin-oniwakamaru-1-190x274.jpg

A relatively short manga. Only 4 volumes long. So you can get through it pretty fast. The plot is as follows (by Manga Updates): "28 years earlier, there was a plane crash in the mountains of Gifu Prefecture. The barrier that the Kobo Daishi, Kukai had created to seal away the demons was destroyed in crimson flames... Present day, Oniwakamaru, King of the Yokai, appears inside the body of pure and innocent Tachibana Hitori!!"

A pretty decent setup and plot to follow along with the main character, it's a story follow an older protagonist who is married and for mostly has his life situated, which is rather refreshing. The art is good and does really stand out. Creatures/yokai look ugly and monstrous. It does have a similar plot to Ushio and Tora, but more violent. Characters get killed off in a brutal fashion and is quick how some are killed off. There are themes in this connected to the theme of light and darkness coexisting, or in this case demons and humans coexisting, but it is somewhat subtle and is in the background of the action. I will say that the ending is pretty abrupt and just ends, so don't expect a solid ending to this. Overall, a decent story but a rather short and abrupt one. (7/10)

I also found this gem of a manga out:

Rosen Garten Saga​

iu

My god this manga is fucking hilarious, like holy shit, I was shunned on how good this is. I was expecting a typical trashy ecchi seinen manga borderline in to smut/hentai territory but this is legitimately a good manga. And what was crazy is that this is both the artist and the writer's first work. The ecchi bits are pretty good but the art is solid as well. Currently it's only 4 volumes out. Fuck Redo of Healer, I would rather have this instead. So I'ma keep my eyes out for this one for sure.

14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg
19.jpg

Last edited:

drganon

Finished FMA brotherhood. As much as I liked the original, overall I like brotherhood more. Still watching miss kobayashi's dragon maid and spy x family. Also started watching Girls last tour and Love is war. The latter in particular is hilarious.

On the manga front, finished Berserk deluxe volume 5.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I wish Crunchyroll hadn't gotten rid of ad-based viewing for shows currently airing... I've got a whole list of shows that I want to check out but now I'm just waiting until the season is over. I guess at least this way I get to just binge the entire seasons instead of watching one week at a time.

Fbh

Man a friend told me they finally started releasing a third part of the Breaker (Manhwa). But they completely ruined it, ugly ass new webcomic look and boring new Gary Stu main character.
The art was literally the best part of it, now it looks cheap as hell.

Labolas

If the art of Breaker was the only good thing about it, was it really good in the first place?

Last edited:

Fbh

If the art of Breaker was the only good thing about it, was it really good in the first place?

Didn't say it was the only good thing, but it was the best part. It's an action based martial arts manhwa, the art was important.
It's like making a sequel to The Raid movies but giving me shitty shaky cam fight scenes, it looses a lot of the appeal.

Labolas

Art is important but if that's only thing holding it up maybe it wasn't worth being highly praise in the first place. Trinity Wonder, by the same author, is a better read.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Started watching Aoashi, I'm digging it.

Borrows a lot from captain tsubasa's narrative, but feels more down to earth, modern and fresh.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Art is important but if that's only thing holding it up maybe it wasn't worth being highly praise in the first place. Trinity Wonder, by the same author, is a better read.

In a visual medium, art is one of the most important parts. Even an amazing story and excellent pacing can be ruined due to the artwork used. Imagine if One Piece looked like Marvel comics. It wouldn’t be nearly as good or memorable.

Labolas

In a visual medium, art is one of the most important parts. Even an amazing story and excellent pacing can be ruined due to the artwork used. Imagine if One Piece looked like Marvel comics. It wouldn’t be nearly as good or memorable.
Well, there are manga that may not have the best art, but are great because of the story and characters resonate with people. Chainsaw Man and OP aren't amazing because of the art it's because they resonated with people. The former looks really rough in places when comes to the art but I think it's one of the best current shonen jump mangas. And hey some Marvel artists trump some mangaka in some regards, don't know current Marvel though not a fan of it to say the least.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Well, there are manga that may not have the best art, but are great because of the story and characters resonate with people. Chainsaw Man and OP aren't amazing because of the art it's because they resonated with people. The former looks really rough in places when comes to the art but I think it's one of the best current shonen jump mangas. And hey some Marvel artists trump some mangaka in some regards, don't know current Marvel though not a fan of it to say the least.

Certain art works best for certain types of stories. Marvel art would absolutely *not* work for something like One Piece. That isn’t to say the art is *bad*, just a particular stylistic choice that can completely change how someone recieves the work.

Also Chainsaw Man and OP are both lawded for their artwork. Saying either is “bad” or even insinuating such shows you don’t know what you are talking about.

Labolas

Certain art works best for certain types of stories. Marvel art would absolutely *not* work for something like One Piece. That isn’t to say the art is *bad*, just a particular stylistic choice that can completely change how someone recieves the work.

Also Chainsaw Man and OP are both lawded for their artwork. Saying either is “bad” or even insinuating such shows you don’t know what you are talking about.
Chainsaw Man and OP aren't lauded for just their artwork. In fact, I vaguely remember people complaining about the changes in OP's character designs in this very same thread no less.

I never insinuating either's art is bad. I wouldn't say that is why people love OP and Chainsaw Man or even they're heralded as great pieces of art. Good and passable but not on the same caliber of great or amazing art I've seen in manga or comics.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Chainsaw Man and OP aren't lauded for just their artwork. In fact, I vaguely remember people complaining about the changes in OP's character designs in this very same thread no less.
The art didn’t change though. Its the same art style as it has always been. Changing of costumes/character designs from a time skip is *not* the same thing as changing of an artstyle.
I never insinuating either's art is bad. I wouldn't say that is why people love OP and Chainsaw Man or even they're heralded as great pieces of art. Good and passable but not on the same caliber of great or amazing art I've seen in manga or comics.
Ah, then that was my bad. Either way my point still stands. Art is an incredibly important factor of the enjoyment of the medium. The breaker worked as well as it did because of its combination of the artwork, design of panels and their placement, and the writing. The latest completely neuters that enjoyment due to switching to a style that does not mesh well with the story being told.

Imagine it this way: What if we had Batman Begins and then instead of Dark Knight following that same style, it instead suddenly shifts to looking like a Steven Universe animation? The writing is still the same. The plot and pacing is still great, but that shift in art direction completely ruins the atmosphere.

Last edited:

Doom85

Konosuba is getting a 3rd season and Megumin is getting her own spinoff show. This is truly the best timeline.

My friends and I were just watching a few episodes before going to bed (I found out I had a flat tire before I tried to head home earlier so I’m sleeping over at their place since my house is 40 minutes away and Walmart Auto Center was already closed but thankfully are open tomorrow) so this was crazy reading this right before going to sleep.

Darkness Aqua GIF by Crunchyroll

Labolas

The art didn’t change though. Its the same art style as it has always been. Changing of costumes/character designs from a time skip is *not* the same thing as changing of an artstyle.

Ah, then that was my bad. Either way my point still stands. Art is an incredibly important factor of the enjoyment of the medium. The breaker worked as well as it did because of its combination of the artwork, design of panels and their placement, and the writing. The latest completely neuters that enjoyment due to switching to a style that does not mesh well with the story being told.

Imagine it this way: What if we had Batman Begins and then instead of Dark Knight following that same style, it instead suddenly shifts to looking like a Steven Universe animation? The writing is still the same. The plot and pacing is still great, but that shift in art direction completely ruins the atmosphere.
I get that the design changes aren't indictive of artstyle change. But I am merely pointing out that even something like character designs (their proportions not clothing) in the manga weren't not the same it was a point of contention for some fans.

Again I'm not disagreeing on art being the one of most factors in making a comic but if that's the ONLY thing that's worthwhile about a comic or in this case manga then maybe the manga itself wasn't that great to get begin with, is what I am arguing. Breaker wasn't that great manwha outside of the art, there are manga or manwha surpasses it in terms writing and characters, but have not as great of art/artstyle or even as pleasing to eye as Breaker. Again OP and Chainsaw Man are better manga in this regard, but aren't held in high regard of their art. You CAN get away not having the best looking art/artstyle and still be relatively popular. Not outright saying having ugly ass artstyle won't hurt a manga, it absolutely will but having great writing and relatable characters is also what sells too.

Also, that analogy is pretty drastic because that's changing animation styles to point where it's switching two different demographics and I don't think that works in Breaker's case. A more apt one would be probably DKR to Batman Brave and Bold. But again, I think there would be fans that hate it for changing of the art but the writing is great.

Labolas

I'm still behind like two episodes but Summer Time Rendering escalating things pretty fucking fast. So far they got me hook, hopefully they don't the ball.

Top Bottom