• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime recommendations for beginners (without fan service and similar cringy stuff)

Pallas

uUQiMgC.jpg

Zankyou No Terror

Personally like this series, it’s only 1 season and while it can be a bit cringe at certain points, the plot is pretty good, basically about Tokyo being a target of a devastating terrorist attack.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Just throwing my hat next to Violet evergarden, what's more is it will likely be something the wife will be able to watch too.

What's Violent Evergarden about?

It's a character drama set in a fictional universe similair to post WW1 Europe. However a few things are different and a little more fantasy such as having advanced clockwork prosthetics.

It follows Violet Evergarden who now finds herself in a world without war as she adjusts to her new life off the Battlefield. Beautiful animation and good writing delivers some really heartfelt moments. It has some action, normally via flashbacks of the war however its main focus is the emotional drama and it uttely excels at that.

Absolutely stunning part of the medium that shows just how good a series can look.

HOWEVER if emotional character drama is not really your thing, my recommendation is...

Good old Gundam Thunderbolt, sure there's a bit of Drama, all Gundams have that. However this one's primary focus is on action, and man does it do it well.

Fullmetal Alchemist
Code Geass
Fate Zero
Steins;Gate

But you'll always going to have some cringe when it comes to anime. Fanservice and weird stuff is what keeps me always from anime these days, it has long gotten out of hand.

Blade2.0

Mob Psycho 100
Berserk 90s
Vinland Saga (this is so good)
Blade of the Immortal (Newest adaptation, not the one that is only 13 episodes)
Dororo (also newest adaptation)
Baccano

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Hold the fuck on, what happened? I asked Teezzy about this and all of a sudden he's banned?
Yeah, it's weird. I always look at the ban list because some of the mod comments are hilarious and I saw teezzy teezzy on there and I was like WTF.

There wasn't a link to the post that he got banned for and the one where he says he's an angel was his last post. 'Promoting your forum'? I don't get it. Whatever, sad to see him go, I always liked his posts.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Yeah, it's weird. I always look at the ban list because some of the mod comments are hilarious and I saw teezzy teezzy on there and I was like WTF.

There wasn't a link to the post that he got banned for and the one where he says he's an angel was his last post. 'Promoting your forum'? I don't get it. Whatever, sad to see him go, I always liked his posts.
Please don't derail...it's a decent thread.
LRMCWfa.gif

Biff

I think Afro Samurai would fit OP's bill pretty well.

Criminally underrated. No bullshit. Amazing action. Crazy characters. Very violent though.

Can't believe Hajime no Ippo only got mentioned once, I am disappointed.

Also:
Hunter x Hunter
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
Deathnote
Haikyuu
Vinland Saga
Mob Psycho
One Punch Man
Dororo

Should suffice for now and nothing else comes to mind right now. :(

Other than watching a few episodes of Attack on Titan, I’ve always avoided anime. I recently had a coworker get into anime and had convinced me there is way more than the cringy fan service that has always kept me away from this medium.

So my question is what are some good anime recommendations for somebody new to anime that avoid fan service. Another way of putting it, I’m looking for shows that I shouldn’t feel embarrassed to watch in my front of my wife.

Thanks!

EDIT: Thanks for all the excellent recommendations!

What you are trying to ask OP is what is anime. At its core treat anime (and Manga) like a medium for personal hobbies. Do you like fishing? Tennis? Criminal justice Video games? Then there is most likely an anime for it.

Approach anime by finding a hobby, interest and career and I assure you YOU will find anime that will organically avoid the "fan service" you mention.

As for that fan service: idols culture, lewd Fandom, pop culture, big boob, etc etc, are anime trope only found in very specific genre of anime. These anime tend to marketed to you d boys, call Shonen.

I made a list of Animes for people who don't like "Anime"

TheGrat1

Other than watching a few episodes of Attack on Titan, I’ve always avoided anime. I recently had a coworker get into anime and had convinced me there is way more than the cringy fan service that has always kept me away from this medium.

So my question is what are some good anime recommendations for somebody new to anime that avoid fan service. Another way of putting it, I’m looking for shows that I shouldn’t feel embarrassed to watch in my front of my wife.

Thanks!

EDIT: Thanks for all the excellent recommendations!
Gunslinger Girl. It is a show about underage girls but there is nothing sexual or fanserivcey about it.
Basic synopsis: Young girls with terminal conditions are taken in by an Italian government agency, given partial cyborg bodies (they are stronger than they should be but not invincible, they can still lose a fist fight to a normal person) and are trained as assassins to eliminate government opposition.
Very mature and slow burn. Great character development as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom