• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anno 1800 - Anyone here play it?

GHG

Gold Member
Picked this up on sale yesterday on the EGS with the Rocket League coupon and it's safe to say it's my new addiction :messenger_neutral:

Time just melts away, having a great time with it so far just playing through the campaign learning the ropes. Got my settlement over 1000 so far and been doing sidequests for other Island leaders as and when they come up.

Need to start making and/or trading soap, at the moment they all stink and it's making them unhappy.

Also I've been getting notifications to say the place is becoming less attractive? How do I remedy that?

Anyway, curious to know if anyone else plays it here and if there are any key things I need to be looking out for as I grow my population?

Xane

I do play it with my mate and some friends semi-regularly! I love the series in general and was very excited about 1800's launch and was happy to introduce it to some of my friends to play in multiplayer!
Anybody looking to play it with friends I'd suggest looking into mods to keep the size requirements low by compressing the production facilities (higher productivity, higher cost) and freeing up enough space for everybody to spread out.

Allandor

Well, I bought it at launch (I really like the Anno series) and played it a while (>80h). But with every patch it got worse.

At last it is always the AI that cheats was really disturbing. Even if you bought the main island etc from the AI, they have still enough money for the whole time even without income. They have always money and resources, even things they do not produce. That AI is just not fair and ... well not really an AI.

Technical the game is also flawed because it more or less is single-thread dependent. A dual core CPU (+HT) can be much better than a 8-core because it can reach higher frequencies.

I really hope they get this game fixed someday, but I really doubt.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Also I've been getting notifications to say the place is becoming less attractive? How do I remedy that?

You will probably have to restart once you figure out stuff but always keep the processing and farming as far away from the city as possible. You will soon have to build factories and whatnot so make sure you already have a depo and roads set up in a place where they won't reach the city. You could also try to add a lot of trees and fountains and other stuff like that but they're expensive at the start of the game.

As for the game itself it is great but once I reached the expeditions parts and I have to make 2-3 other bases, I just got bored but thats on me. I need to give it a try again someday, maybe even try coop to lessen the burden of dealing with so many cities and whatnot.

GHG

Gold Member
You will probably have to restart once you figure out stuff but always keep the processing and farming as far away from the city as possible. You will soon have to build factories and whatnot so make sure you already have a depo and roads set up in a place where they won't reach the city. You could also try to add a lot of trees and fountains and other stuff like that but they're expensive at the start of the game.

As for the game itself it is great but once I reached the expeditions parts and I have to make 2-3 other bases, I just got bored but thats on me. I need to give it a try again someday, maybe even try coop to lessen the burden of dealing with so many cities and whatnot.

Ah Gotcha, was wondering why some residents also mentioned pollution when I clicked on their houses.

I should be able to move things around without too much trouble at this stage, thanks for the tip.

Tschumi

I love it. If i had any desire to play that genre, I'd play 1800. Really remarkable. Oh, yes, in response to your question, i guess you should make sure every house is within range of a beautification family, ahem, and far from industry~

Last edited by a moderator:

mcz117chief

I play it from time to time, it is excellent. I really enjoyed 1404 so I bought the CE of 1800 and I am very happy with my purchase. The music, gameplay, graphics, everything is stellar. I might play it today thanks to this post :)

Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
The Cockatrice The Cockatrice

The tip for moving things away from residential areas worked a treat, thanks.

It's becoming quite challenging to expand the areas where people live because of where I originally chose. Going to have to move a lot of things around.

mcz117chief

The Cockatrice The Cockatrice

The tip for moving things away from residential areas worked a treat, thanks.

It's becoming quite challenging to expand the areas where people live because of where I originally chose. Going to have to move a lot of things around.
Basically what you want to do is do it like in 1404. Have one island dedicated to income (so no heavy industry, pig farms, slaughterhouses etc.) and make all the things that lower attractiveness on other islands.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Basically what you want to do is do it like in 1404. Have one island dedicated to income (so no heavy industry, pig farms, slaughterhouses etc.) and make all the things that lower attractiveness on other islands.

Yes though you'll have to make a lot of boats to transfer the needs of your people from one island to another and the time it takes to arrive from one place to another and the amount AND you need to take into consideration you might get attacked by pirates and you might even become enemies with the other AI players if you dont please them. I made the rookie mistake of starting the game on hardest not knowing how important it was to stay peaceful with the rest and some dumb bitch went to war with me and had a huge fleet that pretty much destroyed everything I had. Wasted 10 hours lol.

Careful if you go down the boat route because upkeep for boats is very high also you need to take into consideration the royal taxes which start at the city level? I think, I dont remember the number but the gist is, the bigger the city is the more taxes you pay however if you spread out smaller cities all over islands you'll have a better income. Obviously you'll want a huge city but make sure you keep the ones on the other islands as little as you can or at least the minimum required for whatever you're farming on those islands.

mcz117chief

Yes though you'll have to make a lot of boats to transfer the needs of your people from one island to another and the time it takes to arrive from one place to another and the amount AND you need to take into consideration you might get attacked by pirates and you might even become enemies with the other AI players if you dont please them. I made the rookie mistake of starting the game on hardest not knowing how important it was to stay peaceful with the rest and some dumb bitch went to war with me and had a huge fleet that pretty much destroyed everything I had. Wasted 10 hours lol.

Careful if you go down the boat route because upkeep for boats is very high also you need to take into consideration the royal taxes which start at the city level? I think, I dont remember the number but the gist is, the bigger the city is the more taxes you pay however if you spread out smaller cities all over islands you'll have a better income. Obviously you'll want a huge city but make sure you keep the ones on the other islands as little as you can or at least the minimum required for whatever you're farming on those islands.
The boat gameplay is the bread and butter of the game. You can't just play on one island, it is impossible. And the royal tax happens when you have 1000+ of any pop type.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
The boat gameplay is the bread and butter of the game. You can't just play on one island, it is impossible. And the royal tax happens when you have 1000+ of any pop type.

Yes ofc, not saying he should avoid it. Just saying not to exaggerate with building too many boats. Having a negative income in Anno 1800 is basically death.

mcz117chief

Yes ofc, not saying he should avoid it. Just saying not to exaggerate with building too many boats. Having a negative income in Anno 1800 is basically death.
The royal tax is another incentive to expand since getting 1000 farmers/workers on your main island is extremely easy when some factories require 200 people to operate. Also high attractiveness gives you a ton of advantages so getting rid of all the nasty industry to other islands is essential.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
The royal tax is another incentive to expand since getting 1000 farmers/workers on your main island is extremely easy when some factories require 200 people to operate. Also high attractiveness gives you a ton of advantages so getting rid of all the nasty industry to other islands is essential.

Yes, the festivals are pretty much a huge free win to income if he can keep everyone happy which is also impacted by attractiveness.

CitizenX

Banned
Was on my Wishlist and right before release, i think it was a few weeks, thats when Ubisoft and Epic got into bed together and it was pulled from Steam. I dont understand why it is not used as a benchmark the amount of Npcs and attention to detail is amazing.

mcz117chief

I wouldn't even try tbh. The game tanks even high end PCs.
It doesn't really, unless you go for those stupid unoptimized settings. If you go for medium/medium-high settings you can comfortably play it on mid-range PCs. But laptop lol, like you said, I wouldn't even try, not with those specs anyway.

Nico_D

Been playing this a lot last week and a half. I'm getting closer to the end of the campaign. It gets so complicated it's almost ridiculous. I'm not sure if I'm able to finish the campaign as my empire is built as it is (when I didn't know how to build it, I know now!) and it's hard to start changing it.

Lovely game. Maybe I'll start a sandbox instead...

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Been playing this a lot last week and a half. I'm getting closer to the end of the campaign. It gets so complicated it's almost ridiculous. I'm not sure if I'm able to finish the campaign as my empire is built as it is (when I didn't know how to build it, I know now!) and it's hard to start changing it.

Lovely game. Maybe I'll start a sandbox instead...
Campaign does get complicated

I seem to put this game on the shelf for awhile but always return, love it

Nico_D

Complaining about it helped, I finished the campaign. I just moved all the polluting factories etc. to my other island and got back my income. A decent campaign. Only the constant "you ship is under attack" messages were annoying - and pirates in general. Turning them off for sandbox.

Hari Seldon

Yeah the campaign burned me out and I eventually uninstalled it. Managing 5-6 different islands with the finicky trading system was not fun. Well made game but not my cup of tea.

geary

Complaining about it helped, I finished the campaign. I just moved all the polluting factories etc. to my other island and got back my income. A decent campaign. Only the constant "you ship is under attack" messages were annoying - and pirates in general. Turning them off for sandbox.
The pirates are very helpful if you get trade rights with them. You can sell them beer and weapons and have no problems with money.

Last edited:
Top Bottom