• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Avatar bet? Another avatar bet. GOTY Battle: God of War: Ragnarök vs Elden Ring (Voting ends Nov. 2nd)

Which will win more GOTY Awards?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Lets face it gents, these are the only 2 games with any chance of winning the vast majority of GOTY awards. The rest are just here for filler.

And before you get your panties in a bunch and scream "WhY dO wE HaVe tO CoMpArE tHeM?!"... Because we can, and because its fun. It's nothing more than fun. Theres famine and war going on literally right now, complain about something else :lollipop_hushed:

So without further ado.

CORNER 1:

- Sequel to one of the most awarded and beloved video games of all time.
- Beautifully cinematic, fused perfectly with intense combat.
- Engaging story with characters we love.
- Intense, heavy hitting and visceral combat.
- 9 realms to explore. Epic boss battles.
- Top quality production values to enhance the overall experience.

giphy.gif

CORNER 2:

- Brand new Open World take on one of the most influential "genres" in gaming (Soulsbornes)
- Set the industry standard when it comes to exploration.
- Incredible amount of enemy variety, like, possibly the most diverse cast of enemies ever in a game.
- Immaculate world design.
- 96 Metacritic. Highest rated game of the gen.

215625.gif

215619.gif

Votes are made public. I'll throw up the Avatar for the losers when it gets closer to voting time, or someone feel free to throw in your own suggestions.

Losers must wear Avatars until Feb 15. Awards usually given out right before Christmas, so for around a month and a half.

Vote away

:messenger_peace:

If God Of War wins it’s just by default, its been a bad year for gaming.

I don’t think they’ll change enough/anything to make this new GoW very different or much better than the last.

We don’t have a guardians of the galaxy yet, but that cam out of nowhere in November so who knows.

Theres not many games they could have released this year that would have given it more competition than elden ring. Guardians of The Galaxy while good, was no where near a GOTY caliber title, even in a weak year like last year. It wasn’t even nominated and no one cared.

Last edited:
My favorite current debate. GOW Ragnarok needs to be one of the greatest games ever in order to beat Elden Ring*. Outside of sony centered groups like PS I Love you or Push square Elden ring should win fairly easily. GOW is hardly in the conversation rn while elden rings hype was high leading up to it. It's too big of a moment to over come.

Last edited:

Elios83

One game is out and well known the other is not.
Both outcomes are possible given the pedigree of the developers.
Having an opinion right now is a bit weird because it either means you're biased (even in good faith for personal tastes) or it's like admitting that these awards are given for reasons that have nothing to do with quality but marketing, brand power and exposure.

MiguelItUp

As someone that loves God of War and is excited about Ragnarok. My heart wants to go with Elden Ring, as I truly loved the game, and easily put 200 or so hours into it. Something GOW never has or will do. It's a completely different game. But I have a feeling it'd be Raganarok because the IP hype, etc.

Pelta88

I get the sense that this GOTY award thread is really a Keighley award?

Which is ironic because Keighley's award is the newest and to me counts the least. I hope we're talking accumulative GOTY from reputable sites and publications. Not just Geoff Keighley product advertising fiesta disguised as a GOTY awards show.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I get the sense that this GOTY award is really a Keighley award?

Which is ironic because Keighley's award is the newest and to me counts the least. I hope we're talking accumulative from reputable sites and publications. Not just Geoff Keighley.
Spoken like someone that knows Elden Ring is winning at the Game Awards. Keighley is big on the FROM train. Kratos is probably a lock for best dad 2022 though since The Last of US TV show is next year.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Which is ironic because Keighley's award is the newest and to me counts the least. I hope we're talking accumulative GOTY from reputable sites and publications. Not just Geoff Keighley product advertising fiesta disguised as a GOTY awards show.
It would be from this site,

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

it's whoever wins the most awards. keighleys are voted on by a bunch of journos tho. i remember gerstmann talking about it.

i voted for elden ring because i don't see a game being that loved by critics anytime soon. maybe botw 2.

If not for god of war, Elden Ring probably would have overthrown TLOU2 for total awards.
GOT was the game gaf loved more than TLOU2 and TLOU2 still one more. I can see the same happening with Eleden ring and ragnarok...except theres no "controversy" around elden ring so it doesn't have a large amount of haters to make it less appealing.

Edit: bloodborne with only 33 goty's...sick.

Last edited:
GOT was the game gaf loved more than TLOU2 and TLOU2 still one more. I can see the same happening with Eleden ring and ragnarok...except theres no "controversy" around elden ring so it doesn't have a large amount of haters to make it less appealing.

I’m not talking about who’s gonna win more, im saying that the votes will be split down the middle.

Regardless of Gaf’s hate boner for TLOU2, those two games are no in the same league. GoT was good but it scored an 82 on Metacritic when it released, which means a good amount of critics just thought it was ok.

God of War will score well into the 90’s (if it doesn’t it will be the first of its kind) which means by the time awards come there are good amount of people that will give it GOTY over elden ring, although elden ring could still be the ultimate winner.

The keighleys are a toss up. Both GoW and Sekiro won GOTY before so there’s no favoritism for those awards

Also, regardless of the great love of elden ring, the game just isn’t that accessible for everyone. Any old person, journalist or whatever can pick up god of war and play it beginning to end and get the full experience. It appeals to hardcore and casual gamers

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
What metric will determine GOTY? The Game Awards? The number of GOTY awards each of the games gets across all outlets? A NEOGAF GOTY poll?

I think GOW wins The Game Awards because Sony will...shall we say...influence the outcome there (Regardless of whether it would've earned otherwise)

Edit: I see now the winner is the game with the most wins across all outlets. I think the recency bias goes in GOW's favor. February 2022 is ages ago in the gaming world

Last edited:
What metric will determine GOTY? The Game Awards? The number of GOTY awards each of the games gets across all outlets? A NEOGAF GOTY poll?

I think GOW wins The Game Awards because Sony will...shall we say...influence the outcome there (Regardless of whether it would've earned iotherwise)

Lol so why didn’t they ‘influence’ it last year?

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I ain't betting anything, but my guess would be while elden ring might be the more enjoyable and far more popular opinion, god of war ragnarok will win because it is god of war.

acidagfc

I lost the first one, so mathematically I cannot lose again. All in babyyyyyy!

I am really biased towards ER. It could have been anything, it could have been absolutely terrible, yet it turned out to be a masterpiece.

Ragnarok is kind of a known quantity. It will be a good game, great even. Will it top the highs of ER? Nah, I don't see that. Non-gaming media might disagree and GoW might win by numbers though.

I don't care, it has to be ER.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Lol so why didn’t they ‘influence’ it last year?
Did Sony have any heavy hitter to compete last year? My point is that Sekiro won 2021 because of Activision's push. TLoU2 won because of Sony's push in 2020. It Takes Two won because of EA's push in 2021 and because it was a weakass year for games. Bandai Namco likely isn't going to compete with Sony's push or care to is my point

Edit: this is in regards to The Game Awards, specifically

Last edited:
Did Sony have any heavy hitter to compete last year? My point is that Sekiro won 2021 because of Activision's push. TLoU2 won because of Sony's push in 2020. It Takes Two won because of EA's push in 2021 and because it was a weakass year for games. Bandai Namco likely isn't going to compete with Sony's push or care to is my point

Burnie Burns Conspiracy GIF by Rooster Teeth

Sony didn’t even “push” hard enough to get the game everyone still raves about (Returnal) nominated.

GymWolf

I want ragnarock to win.

But elden ring is gonna win most probably.

Since i don't mind having an embarassing avatar, i bet that gow is gonna win, if i lose, i'm gonna style one of these bad boys for a month

Furry-Sticky-Vacation-Wolf-for-Gay-Anime-Car-Sticker-Decal-Car-Accessories-for-Bumper-Helmet-Trunk.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

15bceec31e3991688d4ce2f4fc172c94.jpg

Since i'm platform agnostic, a console war avatar is not embarassing at all for me, but you can chose whatever avatar you want fellas, i'm nothing if not putty in your hands (cit.)

Top Bottom