• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Avatar bet? Another avatar bet. GOTY Battle: God of War: Ragnarök vs Elden Ring (Voting ends Nov. 2nd)

Which will win more GOTY Awards?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That's more like wishful thinking on your part.

:p

So what will you do if it doesn't get delayed?

Let me guess...

Bill Murray Film GIF

I will just vote in the poll in this thread.

3liteDragon

No, but the scope of GoW, the world and interacting systems and mechanics pales in comparison with CP2077.
None of that matters when there were loads of other issues going at CD at the time when the game was still in development with poor management being one of the biggest issues. I’m confident management or pipeline issues won’t affect this game & there’s no 0 chance of it being delayed after going gold.

Handel

I think Elden Ring has the momentum behind it, in a similar way to God of War 2018. While Soulsborne games didn't have a hiatus like God of War did, Elden Ring marks a moment where a "franchise"/formula took a step forward in one way or another, and thus attracted a wider audience+greater critic reception. Many people who struggled with loving earlier Soulsborne games were able to fully embrace ER's design, just like how those who were turned off by the rage-fueled gore-fest of earlier GoW games could find something to love in the more nuanced approach of GoW2018. I don't doubt that GoW:R can be an overall better game than GoW2018, it just won't break the mold in a way that attracts the most GOTY awards.

Akuji

Need to play GOW so cant do a bet. But tbh i expect GoW to be Goty.
Elden Ring is great for gamers but casuals have serious problems with it.
GoW will be a game that everyone can play and enjoy. I could hand the controller to my mom and she could enjoy it.
If i give my mom the controller to elden ring iam not sure how many hours she would need to even get through the castle at the start.

Which imo is a important part of best video game ever. Like mario was that great of a game on nes or snes because it was so easy to have fun with.
Bloodborne is my game of the generation on PS4 but i would pretty much noone recommend it over God of War if they ask me for a game.
Many would enjoy bloodborne but many love God of War 2018 which is my 2nd place on last gen. Because its just that much easier to enjoy.

Handel

Need to play GOW so cant do a bet. But tbh i expect GoW to be Goty.
Elden Ring is great for gamers but casuals have serious problems with it.
GoW will be a game that everyone can play and enjoy. I could hand the controller to my mom and she could enjoy it.
If i give my mom the controller to elden ring iam not sure how many hours she would need to even get through the castle at the start.

Which imo is a important part of best video game ever. Like mario was that great of a game on nes or snes because it was so easy to have fun with.
Bloodborne is my game of the generation on PS4 but i would pretty much noone recommend it over God of War if they ask me for a game.
Many would enjoy bloodborne but many love God of War 2018 which is my 2nd place on last gen. Because its just that much easier to enjoy.
Imagine if the best movie ever or best book ever was decided by casual viewers/readers :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Neither deserve it. Giving GOTY to cross gen games 2 years into a new gen is whack.

GoW looks amazing. But I don't play movies

Elden ring is the most boring, simple, repetitive gameplay since factorio.
Even the fanboys can't decide between "it's easy, get good bro" or "it's challenging, you just don't get it"

You’re right the awards should be between Gotham Knights and Plague Tale only

Imagine if the best movie ever or best book ever was decided by casual viewers/readers :ROFLMAO:

Thats what GOTY now, most people just go based on the keighleys even though people are dunking on TGA in this thread they’re still referencing, Sekiro, GoW, TLOU, and all the other GOTY winners at Keighleys.

I mean, lets not lie to ourselves its the most significant award to both casual and “hardcore” gamers. No one cared that Returnal cleaned up The BAFTA’s which is a more prestigious award.

Last edited:

Jennings

I would say GoW is an unknown quantity because it hasn't released yet, but it'll probably be more of the same, so I vote Elden Ring because it's the best.

For me it's Elden Ring all day every day. God of War isn't something that interests me in the slightest.

Even if it did...I'd like to play it first before saying it could ever be GOTY.

I don't really care who "wins" because the only GOTY for me is Elden Ring. If it's someone else's then great for them but I'm not sure why I would care about that.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I will never understand the appreciation for the GoW series. I watched the trailer in the opening post and felt the most profound boredom I've had in weeks from that corny soap opera drivel. I guess I don't understand how anyone is drawn in the by the story or narrative aspects here, but have fun if you are.

Elden Ring pushed forward a genre brilliantly and gave us exploration on a new scale, unclear what another GoW could bring to the table in comparison.

However, I'm not sure I want to officially "vote" when there are unclear rules on which publications would be considered. There's a ton of "GOTY" awards online from niche pubs, and especially from single-platform sites that are much more likely to give fluff awards to their own platform exclusives.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I will never understand the appreciation for the GoW series. I watched the trailer in the opening post and felt the most profound boredom I've had in weeks from that corny soap opera drivel. I guess I don't understand how anyone is drawn in the by the story or narrative aspects here, but have fun if you are.

Elden Ring pushed forward a genre brilliantly and gave us exploration on a new scale, unclear what another GoW could bring to the table in comparison.

However, I'm not sure I want to officially "vote" when there are unclear rules on which publications would be considered. There's a ton of "GOTY" awards online from niche pubs, and especially from single-platform sites that are much more likely to give fluff awards to their own platform exclusives.

You play GoW 2018? It’s better than most AAA schlock, but I’m not as in love with it as most people. It does a good job going for that cinematic experience and actually marrying that to a decent combat system. Absolutely worth playing.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
You play GoW 2018? It’s better than most AAA schlock, but I’m not as in love with it as most people. It does a good job going for that cinematic experience and actually marrying that to a decent combat system. Absolutely worth playing.
I didn't play it, because I soured on that franchise back at its origins in the first 2 entires, when I had a pal who lived for it for some reason. If it's any help to discern my tastes by comparison, I consider the Mortal Kombat franchise to be easily the worst trash produced in the history of gaming, with how it brought in a wave of edgy-violence-for-teens into games--and I had the same reaction to every time my pal showed me some brutal GOW boss battle like pucking an eye and acted like it was cool. Mix that with the whole pantheon of gods bit, and you have a recipe for something I'll never see as more than immature content dressed up.

I watched the first couple hours of the 2018 game and it was that same mind numbing tone and content, and the thing that irritated me even more was the "now you have to save a kid too" narrrative bolted on top. Maybe I'm just too old for this trick, but I hate it when we have a lowbrow violence fest wrapped in a cheap sentimental narrative to trick you into thinking your goals are more noble than hack-and-slash. I could accept Doom 2016's gore only because it was unadulterated gameplay didn't wrap it up in any narrative pretense as if there's anything else truly at stake in a game of these genres.

In summary, really hate the franchise. Come to think of it, I love Playstation hardware and my PS5, but I guess--on reflection--I tend to truly hate their first party studios for all but a few exceptions, particularly find their western franchises to be awful. (Bloodborne on the other hand justifies Sony's entire existence)

Last edited:
I didn't play it, because I soured on that franchise back at its origins in the first 2 entires, when I had a pal who lived for it for some reason. If it's any help to discern my tastes by comparison, I consider the Mortal Kombat franchise to be easily the worst trash produced in the history of gaming, with how it brought in a wave of edgy-violence-for-teens into games--and I had the same reaction to every time my pal showed me some brutal GOW boss battle like pucking an eye and acted like it was cool. Mix that with the whole pantheon of gods bit, and you have a recipe for something I'll never see as more than immature content dressed up.

I watched the first couple hours of the 2018 game and it was that same mind numbing tone and content, and the thing that irritated me even more was the "now you have to save a kid too" narrrative bolted on top. Maybe I'm just too old for this trick, but I hate it when we have a lowbrow violence fest wrapped in a cheap sentimental narrative to trick you into thinking your goals are more noble than hack-and-slash. I could accept Doom 2016's gore only because it was unadulterated gameplay didn't wrap it up in any narrative pretense as if there's anything else truly at stake in a game of these genres.

In summary, really hate the franchise. Come to think of it, I love Playstation hardware and my PS5, but I guess--on reflection--I tend to truly hate their first party studios for all but a few exceptions, particularly find their western franchises to be awful. (Bloodborne on the other hand justifies Sony's entire existence)

The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

Your username fits you

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Bloodborne is way more over the top gory than GoW 2018 but alright.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Just watched the Elden Ring trailer I posted in the OP. What a truly abysmal looking game. Shit looks like a early gen PS4 game.

GOW is seriously going to make that shit feel 2 gens old. From has been competing with the likes of Team NInja. This is a different beast

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Just watched the Elden Ring trailer I posted in the OP. What a truly abysmal looking game. Shit looks like a early gen PS4 game.

GOW is seriously going to make that shit feel 2 gens old. From has been competing with the likes of Team NInja. This is a different beast
And GOW R looks like a PS4 Pro game and guess what? It is!

Top Bottom