• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Glimpse of (Metroid) Dread

Kataploom

Gold Member
UPDATE (08/27): Another AMAZING trailer was just released... I didn't want to open a new thread for this but idk where we can talk about this game. This is looking ridiculously good by the time passes:

OLD:
Nintendo just released another video of Metroid Dread... This is looking way too good to be true already for me... Story seems to be quite interesting and the atmosphere feels as a Metroid game should feel (dat music...)

EDIT: THIS GAME IS BEING DUBBED IN DIFFERENT LANGUAGES!! Here you can see this moment of the trailer in full spain spanish voices (from Nintendo España account):

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Looking forward to this.
Please also release Metroid Prime Trilogy

On a completely different subject but its because I want to buy Super Metroid.
I wish Virtual Console would come back on the Switch. Why not give people a choice of either buying Virtual console games or/and subscribing

jaysius

Banned
Metroid Dread |OT| Treat our lost assets with care, Lady.

Dread is such an apt title for this thing, I have a hard time believing this was anything Nintendo first party developers might have hatched every time I see new footage.

Daddy

Neo Member
The sound design isn't great. Graphically, it looks like a trailer from 2010. Art direction looks uninspired. The font used at 52 seconds looks really out of place. The robotic voice at 56 sounds like a stock Microsoft text-to-speech voice.

As someone not already invested in the series, I'm not seeing it. Probably not meant for me.

Velius

Banned
This makes me feel a lot better than the last trailer. We'll see...

Meanwhile GIVE US PRIME TRILOGY ON SWITCH GODDAMMIT

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Video description says there will be another trailer on August 27th. Very hyped.

I'm loving how the Adam A.I. has a robot voice. The one line of dialogue seems to imply that Samus and the Galactic Federation are still non-hostile towards each other. So far anyway.

The big mystery here is what the large Chozo-like structure is all about.

Kokoloko85

Are you not subscribed to Switch online out of principle or something?
Nah, I just havent bothered after the initial time I done it.
Its weird but I like having a collection of games downloaded especially classics lol
Tbh at £17 for 12 months I might get it

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Discount? Sure at $48 three years from release... MAYBE

yXhS0BC.gif

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm still really wondering about Samus' standing with the Federation after the events of Fusion.
I doubt it's good. I still personally believe this is a trap being laid out for Samus by the Federation.

The line of dialogue in the trailer seems to imply that the Federation and Samus are currently not hostile. Or not yet. And that Samus shouldn't blow up this planet too.

If there is surviving Parasite X lifeforms then the mission might be a way for Samus to redeem herself in their eyes since the Federation will still want to utilize the parasites for new scientific breakthroughs and of course as a weapon.

Because as the events of Fusion had suggested as well as the events of Other M, the Federation is just as guilty as developing bio-weapons just as much as the Space Pirates and Chozo are.

Which falls back on the same inspiration from the "Alien" franchise where corporations valued the "Aliens" over their own people for research.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Metroid Dread |OT| Treat our lost assets with care, Lady.

Dread is such an apt title for this thing, I have a hard time believing this was anything Nintendo first party developers might have hatched every time I see new footage.
This is a 3DS team of developers. Nintendo typically assesses each development group individually based on where they're at in terms of skill and experience, and proven results on past projects.

Best example of this approach is Next Level Games or Grezzo. Grezzo got to make ports of existing Zelda games on 3DS, and then after two successes were funded for a new IP using that same engine on 3DS (Ever Oasis). Then got to make an HD game on Link's Awakening.

Mercury Steam has a 3DS team that worked on Castlevania. Then they got permission to work on a remake of Samus Returns, on the same system and similar gameplay style to the Castlevania game they did. Now they got to advance to a HD system and a new entry in the series. If its received well, they'll get a little more rope on the next project and a little more ambitious.

Next Level Games climbed the quality ladder step by step until they got to Luigi's Mansion on Switch. Nintendo takes a conservative approach though and doesn't go too far past what teams have proven they can deliver on.

Last edited:
Nah, I just havent bothered after the initial time I done it.
Its weird but I like having a collection of games downloaded especially classics lol
Tbh at £17 for 12 months I might get it
Well, I'd love a Virtual Console too, but for a different reason. Most of my favorite SNES games are from Squaresoft (and Enix, if they'd port the Dragon Quest Super Famicom games). I doubt SquareEnix will ever put those games on the rental service, so our only shot is a VC shop.

bit_blaster

Neo Member
I'm psyched, I really enjoyed Samus Returns on the 3DS. I'm just a bit confused by the suit, is the orange which we see disappear after she crash lands the Omega suit from the end of Fusion? I'm also surprised Samus is working with the Federation, I thought she would go rogue like Solid Snake in MGS2.

Kokoloko85

Well, I'd love a Virtual Console too, but for a different reason. Most of my favorite SNES games are from Squaresoft (and Enix, if they'd port the Dragon Quest Super Famicom games). I doubt SquareEnix will ever put those games on the rental service, so our only shot is a VC shop.

Yeah totally. Alot of my favourites are from 3rd party too, especially Squaresoft and Enix

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Huge Metroid fan.

I will definitely play this but there definitely is a budget difference compared to say, Breath of the Wild.
duhh, BOTW is a huge open world game and not a 2.5D Metroid game.

Astral Dog

They should have dedicated a big budget for this. They have the money and the resources to do it properly.
Nintendo sadly only care about mario and zelda. Even Fire Emblem got a nice budget.

Looks indie AF, but it's better than nothing I guess...
Lol what is 'properly' for a 2D Metroid(vania) game im sure Dread has a very nice budget, plus it runs at 60fps.gigantic jump over Samus Returns, and beats Bloodstained Switch(after patches) ,framerate and visual quality wise.

Metroid Dread is gonna be good, Nintendo doesn't need to break the bank to create a high quality 2D Metroid game.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
The music starts off very nice but I'd be lying if I said the midi sound to it later isn't at least a bit disappointing.

I'm really not crazy when Nintendo puts in rather midi sounding stuff in their games.

Not that midi can't be great but I think there's good midi and bad midi. It's not super common but Metroid has had some bad midi instrumentation from time to time. It's funny cuz I think the first trailer has some midi sound but I like it. Here I don't like it as much.

I remember Prime 3 had some truly bad sounding midi stuff near the beginning of the game when Ridley is attacking that planet with the Federation forces. Sticks out like a sore thumb.

Oh well, I still have no doubts but I hope Nintendo chooses less of this style of midi.

Oh and I was kinda hoping we wouldn't get any proper English voices in this game to maybe increase the sense of isolation but I guess there goes that theory.

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
Lol what is 'properly' for a 2D Metroid(vania) game im sure Dread has a very nice budget, plus it runs at 60fps.gigantic jump over Samus Returns, and beats Bloodstained Switch(after patches) ,framerate and visual quality wise.

Metroid Dread is gonna be good, Nintendo doesn't need to break the bank to create a high quality 2D Metroid game.
Are you really discussing quality here? Have you looked at this shit:

Bloodstained was actually made by an INDIE TEAM, it doesn't run locked 60fps on Xbox one X.
Are you that up there into Nintendo's ass, that you're incapable of seeing the difference of 3DS and switch hardware?

The game lacks textures and when it does have them, it looks like the brown/grey games we got on the PS360 era.
Watch the trailer and see for yourself:

You can count the colors on the screen with ONE HAND.

Seriously dude, get of the "nintendo can do no wrong" horse.
Remember when Halo Infinite looked like shit and everyone complained?

Now you're telling me this looks good, when we know what Nintendo can do?

Look at fucking Ori, it runs on switch and it looks amazing. Does nintendo lack the money to do a proper 2D metroid with Ori like graphics?

1hWc.gif

Marty-McFly

Banned

Bloodstained was actually made by an INDIE TEAM, it doesn't run locked 60fps on Xbox one X.
Are you that up there into Nintendo's ass, that you're incapable of seeing the difference of 3DS and switch hardware?

The game lacks textures and when it does have them, it looks like the brown/grey games we got on the PS360 era.

Look at fucking Ori, it runs on switch and it looks amazing. Does nintendo lack the money to do a proper 2D metroid with Ori like graphics?

1hWc.gif

It's called Metroid Dread dude.

It's not meant to be a super colorful forrest game will silly little creatures running around.

I'll take Samus' bad ass arm cannon any day.

V7psvZb.gif

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

1hWc.gif

He's obviously talking about Bloodstained running on the Switch. not the Xbox... not a great example because it was ported terribly to the Switch but ya.

Unsure why you brought up Link's awakening but I'd agree that's an embarassment of a game that should have been trashed in reviews. Not one I'd associate with "quality".

In general:
I feel like your argument is sound for almost any other game Nintendo have released in the past year or so BUT this one.

Maybe my expectations are so low for Nintendo games at this point but .......it looks fine to me?
Its running at 60fps, has a great atmosphere so far, seems to control very smootly and is fast and frantic and most of all..

ITS A NEW GAME.

It deserves a lot of credit so far considering how far Nintendo's games have fallen in the past few years.

With the Switch we are where we are. If I can at least get a game running at 60FPS at a decent resolution. I'll TAKE basic graphics all day of the week.

Faithless83

Banned
It's called Metroid Dread dude.

It's not meant to be a super colorful forrest game will silly little creatures running around.

I'll take Samus' bad ass arm cannon any day.
It should be called Metroid Colorless. Look at Super Metroid, Zero Mission... fuck even the original NES game has more colors than this.
It's not having a rainbow at every corner, but look how lackluster the environments are.
It doesn't look good at all. I'm a fan and I was waiting for a decent 2D Metroid since Zero Mission, it looks like this is a very low effort (and budget) game, from a company that is selling an overpriced hardware for years, and that made great looking games in said platform.

He's obviously talking about Bloodstained running on the Switch. not the Xbox... not a great example because it was ported terribly to the Switch but ya.
My point was it was ported as they could into a low spec hardware, my example was how it didn't run great on (at the time) was the best console specs wise
Unsure why you brought up Link's awakening but I'd agree that's an embarassment of a game that should have been trashed in reviews. Not one I'd associate with "quality".
I brought up because of the graphics that they achieved on switch on a 2d game.
In general:
I feel like your argument is sound for almost any other game Nintendo have released in the past year or so BUT this one.

Maybe my expectations are so low for Nintendo games at this point but .......it looks fine to me?
Its running at 60fps, has a great atmosphere so far, seems to control very smootly and is fast and frantic and most of all..

ITS A NEW GAME.

It deserves a lot of credit so far considering how far Nintendo's games have fallen in the past few years.

With the Switch we are where we are. If I can at least get a game running at 60FPS at a decent resolution. I'll TAKE basic graphics all day of the week.
It's not just the graphics, it screams low budget on everything. Look at Metroid Prime, this looks on par and slightly worse at times than that and it was a game that was released 19 years ago.

Astral Dog

1hWc.gif

Dude you are complaining about colors and other shit, Metroid Dread looks different from previous 2D Metroid games, including Samus Return on purpose, i think the new art fits this Metroid story very well. Its not supposed to look as colorful and happy as previous Metroids, Links Awakening, Bloodstained or Ori.

Do the visuals work well? Are they well animated, clear and runing at a decent framerate then i think it looks very good for 2D Metroid 🤷‍♂️ obv it has a few rough spots as a 60fps Switch game, but i bet it runs at higher resolutions than Ori. It took me a little while to get used to it but i love the visuals 😃 looks really moody

Last edited:

Astral Dog

In general:

ITS A NEW GAME.

Exactly it will not be the best looking game ever but the gameplay looks polished as hell and the visuals work well.

For Links Awakening, maybe there is a difference, even if not big compared to what Metroid does? LA is a very faithful port of a GameBoy color game, its ancient, Dread is new, it should be more taxing with the animations, physics, setpieces, bosses, AI and all that. Even the models and geometry complexity, with Metroid realistic graphics.

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
Dude you are complaining about colors and other shit, Metroid Dread looks different from previous 2D Metroid games, including Samus Return on purpose, i think the new art fits this Metroid story very well. Its not supposed to look as colorful and happy as previous Metroids, Links Awakening, Bloodstained or Ori.

Do the visuals work well? Are they well animated, clear and runing at a decent framerate then i think it looks very good for 2D Metroid 🤷‍♂️ obv it has a few rough spots as a 60fps Switch game, but i bet it runs at higher resolutions than Ori. It took me a little while to get used to it but i love the visuals 😃 looks really moody
No dude, I'm complaining about lack of environmental diversity, it looks like they ported a 3DS game and just increased the resolution.
It's metal, ice, "heat" environments and that's it. Slap a different color light and boom, new environment? WTF? This would fly on Gamecube or on PS360 era, the hardware lack memory to have a broader pallet, bigger geometry.

It's a fucking 2.5D game, there is no excuse for it looking like an indie title, this is Metroid.
Specially because you're only rendering fixed camera environments, it should look gorgeous, the camera is far away and barely moves around.
Exactly it will not be the best looking game ever but the gameplay looks polished as hell and the visuals work well.

For Links Awakening, maybe there is a difference, even if not big compared to what Metroid does? LA is a very faithful port of a GameBoy color game, its ancient, Dread is new, it should be more taxing with the animations, physics, setpieces, bosses, AI and all that. Even the models and geometry complexity, with Metroid realistic graphics.
Does ANYTHING in Metroid Dread looking taxing? Any highly detailed bosses, environments, effects? Anything realistic in there at all?

Stop giving Nintendo a free pass, this looks like an indie studio doing a metroidvania.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
No dude, I'm complaining about lack of environmental diversity, it looks like they ported a 3DS game and just increased the resolution.
They're probably building off their work on Samus Returns. See my post above.

That's kind of how Nintendo rolls. If you ever go back and read all the Iwata Asks interviews, that's exactly how they do it. Not all Nintendo teams are at the same skill or budget level. Sometimes we get games from 3DS teams and they're closer to 3DS than to Wii U. That's just part of the hybrid nature of the Switch, and Nintendo consolidating all development on one system.

Read this one. You'd be surprised.

This is another good one.

Here's one with Grezzo.

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
They're probably building off their work on Samus Returns. See my post above.

That's kind of how Nintendo rolls. If you ever go back and read all the Iwata Asks interviews, that's exactly how they do it. Not all Nintendo teams are at the same skill or budget level. Sometimes we get games from 3DS teams and they're closer to 3DS than to Wii U. That's just part of the hybrid nature of the Switch, and Nintendo consolidating all development on one system.

Read this one. You'd be surprised.

This is another good one.
Metroid Other M (Wii is running this) for comparison:

This is no excuse for it not being a proper budget game.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
It's metal, ice, "heat" environments and that's it. Slap a different color light and boom, new environment? WTF? This would fly on Gamecube or on PS360 era, the hardware lack memory to have a broader pallet, bigger geometry.

It's a fucking 2.5D game, there is no excuse for it looking like an indie title, this is Metroid.
Specially because you're only rendering fixed camera environments, it should look gorgeous, the camera is far away and barely moves around.

Does ANYTHING in Metroid Dread looking taxing? Any highly detailed bosses, environments, effects? Anything realistic in there at all?

Stop giving Nintendo a free pass, this looks like an indie studio doing a metroidvania.
It's not "giving Nintendo a free pass"... it's just that most started to not care at all... Most of Nintendo complainers always talk about graphics, most of Nintendo actual buyers talk about gameplay, as long as the actual art style fits.

There you have lots of people complaining about new Pokemon game coming next year cause it looks ugly as sin, this time graphics do diservice to the experience and that's a general sentiment... regarding this game, I was like you until I saw Treehouse gameplay which shows more variety on everything and I'm sure that's just the tip of the iceberg

Top Bottom