• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another job listing says Sony’s new studio is working with Naughty Dog on ‘a beloved franchise’

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Earlier this week a role advertised on a job recruitment site stated that Sony was “building a new internal game development team in partnership with PSS Visual Arts”, the San Diego-based support studio which recently contributed to The Last of Us Part 1.

The job listing later stated that the unannounced project was being developed in collaboration with Uncharted and The Last of Us studio Naughty Dog.

These sections of the job listing were latter removed and replaced with: “Sony PlayStation is building a new internal game development team. This is the same world-class team known for its contributions to the Last of Us franchise!”

Now, another job listing has been published, based in the same San Diego area as Visual Arts. Although it doesn’t make specific reference to the studio, it states that the role is for “a new PlayStation studio based in San Diego, CA.”

It goes on to state that, “currently we are co-developing an exciting new project with Naughty Dog in a beloved franchise.”

PlayStation’s Visual Arts Service Group was established with the goal of growing some of PlayStation’s biggest franchises. For many years it worked as a support studio on series like Spider-Man and Uncharted, but according to reports, recently held ambitions to lead its own projects.

6EZVFG0.gif

angrod14

Uncharted is an IP that has the potential to live forever, and should live forever. It's just too fun and unpretentious not to, and there's still so much potential to evolve the franchise, so many treasure-related stories to tell, exotic places to visit. They just need to make sure they bring interesting and likable characters.

U4 and TLL were already such a big leap over the previous games in gameplay, scope, graphics, narrative, everything. Playing the previous entries is just impossible because they feel so basic and dated.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
Alright way of the warrior 2 electric bugaloo or even better rings of power 2:this time its a fat guy

Why not just say it's UC? Are they pretending ND creates several "beloved franchises"?

At this point ND will continue to churn out UC and TLOU games. Nothing suggests otherwise.

Why not just say it's UC? Are they pretending ND creates several "beloved franchises"?

At this point ND will continue to churn out UC and TLOU games. Nothing suggests otherwise.

Too early to announce a game when you don't have anything to show for it. They're probably in fairly early days with this and yes they do have several beloved franchises including Jak and Daxter that sold very well.

Also it doesn't necessarily have to be a Naughty Dog game, we just surmise this based on Naughty Dog's involvement.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Uncharted is an IP that has the potential to live forever, and should live forever. It's just too fun and unpretentious not to, and there's still so much potential to evolve the franchise, so many treasure-related stories to tell, exotic places to visit. They just need to make sure they bring interesting and likable characters.

U4 and TLL were already such a big leap over the previous games in gameplay, scope, graphics, narrative, everything. Playing the previous entries is just impossible because they feel so basic and dated.
For this, I love you brother

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I'd be down with more Uncharted. Uncharted 4 was my very 1st Uncharted game and it really blew me away

I started playing the others after 4 but Uncharted 4 remains my favorite

they should not, they should go for an open world ratchet and clank imo.

The audience for this game just doesn't warrant it. Ratchet and Clank games have really capped out on sales potential. Rift Apart obviously had a limited audience due to ps5 shortages, but barely sold above a million copies.

It's time to give it to someone else to maintain and innovate while they focus on other things. Same with Resistance. Sony has given up on IP too much because the primary studios have outgrown it, but that doesn't need to be the case at all.

YukiOnna

I'm glad someone notices. Uncharted is so fun and has the lighthearted adventure style to it that it won't get tiring. Can have many globe-trotting adventures and many myths to base the treasure hunting on. Can also still have Nate continue since there's plenty of gaps in the tetralogy to fill.

I'm glad someone notices. Uncharted is so fun and has the lighthearted adventure style to it that it won't get tiring. Can have many globe-trotting adventures and many myths to base the treasure hunting on. Can also still have Nate continue since there's plenty of gaps in the tetralogy to fill.

They just have to make a decision about how to progress the story. If you want to develop his daughter as a character or not.

I think Naughty Dog was ready to leave it behind, but Sony especially after the success of the movie, don't want to let the franchise just die out.

They'll have their cake and eat it too by developing another studio who can take this on but maintain the quality. Note they aren't doing what many companies would do and just outsource it to a cheap dev. This also means that this game is probably like 4-5 years out if it were going to be Uncharted 5.

What might be more likely is this studio is going to get its legs under them by doing an Uncharted 1 remake for PS5 and PC.

YukiOnna

They just have to make a decision about how to progress the story. If you want to develop his daughter as a character or not.

I think Naughty Dog was ready to leave it behind, but Sony especially after the success of the movie, don't want to let the franchise just die out.

They'll have their cake and eat it too by developing another studio who can take this on but maintain the quality. Note they aren't doing what many companies would do and just outsource it to a cheap dev. This also means that this game is probably like 4-5 years out if it were going to be Uncharted 5.

What might be more likely is this studio is going to get its legs under them by doing an Uncharted 1 remake for PS5 and PC.
U1 Remake would be perfect and actually worth it considering how early it was in the PS3 life cycle. Nolan North is also still up for more Uncharted games, so the enthusiasm is definitely there surrounding the IP. They can also do a prequel, something in between 2-3, stories with the daughter or before she grew up, etc.

U1 Remake would be perfect and actually worth it considering how early it was in the PS3 life cycle. Nolan North is also still up for more Uncharted games, so the enthusiasm is definitely there surrounding the IP. They can also do a prequel, something in between 2-3, stories with the daughter or before she grew up, etc.

I think a remake is most likely because they can build on it through Uncharted 4. Tighter gameplay and higher end graphics but pretty much the same level design. Hopefully, a better product than they made with TLOU P1.

But it makes sense to properly reintroduce the franchise to PC gamers. And the studio after remaking the first three games, should be well equipped to make an Uncharted 5.

0neAnd0nly

Gold Member
I’m not as convinced it’s UC as some are.

I loved UC as a series though, with #2 being the absolute GEM.

But I fear what may happen to it from today’s ND. Not sure I would really want it back. It’s a different developer with the series’ vision creator / writer / director long gone.

Meh.

Last edited:

Business

Hasn't it been known for a couple of years, or at least reported in the news, that a new San Diego studio was working on Uncharted?

HL3.exe

Tired of big studio's coming back to franchises. Would love it if they would create something new, ideas that are specifically build around the current hardware. Instead of harkening back to nostalgia. It's cheap marketing.

It used to be that every new console launch incentivised big studio's to try new IP. It would mark a new generation. But at this point we're still playing franchises and design concepts that where created in the 6th (PS2/XB) and 7th generation (PS360) of consoles, which is kinda cringe.

Would love it if ND (and other big studio's) would push for something new.

Last edited:

element

99% sure the recruiter didn't update the text and it is old copy related for VASG (Visual Arts Services Group) based in San Diego. VASG is pretty much an in-sourcing team within PlayStation. They have designers, programmers, and artist but I wouldn't even say they are scaled to be a "co-developer" on a game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom