• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another one bites to dust: Phoebe Waller-Bridge may replace Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones

Lupingosei

Banned

Fortunately as I stay as far away from Hollywood as humanly possible.

Lupingosei

Banned
Don't we already have a Lara Croft?
We had Lara Croft, the superrich aristocrat, firing guns at dinosaurs, with the body of a goddess.

They later had Lara Croft, the miserable, sad, everyday girl, armed with a bow and arrows.

Their Lara Croft tanked at the box office and the games did not as well either, so they need a new sacrifice for the woke gods.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Harrison Ford GIF

Waiting to see what forms of all this.
If down as she picks up the torch etc or Indy family then cool.
If just a one dimensional perfect character with no development then I expect it to flop.

Last edited:

Kilau

I suppose if they want to keep the series going they have to replace Harrison at some point soon, he’s just too old.

Shia kinda blew up his image and career since crystal skull so that plan is in tatters.

It’s kinda like a female 007 to me, no problem with that but don’t make it Jamie Bond or Dr. Jones is suddenly gender swapped.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I suppose if they want to keep the series going they have to replace Harrison at some point soon, he’s just too old.

Shia kinda blew up his image and career since crystal skull so that plan is in tatters.

It’s kinda like a female 007 to me, no problem with that but don’t make it Jamie Bond or Dr. Jones is suddenly gender swapped.
Yeah, I was gonna say they were setting up Shia to take over, and I'd take pretty much anyone over him.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Because he has a dick
Serious question why they cant just approach/persuade shia man what happened to him, after crystal skull everything seems to be set in motion for him to continue the franchise

Hes asking too much money or something ?

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Serious question why they cant just approach/persuade shia man what happened to him, after crystal skull everything seems to be set in motion for him to continue the franchise

Shia torched his career by pissing off Spielberg and Harrison Ford.

Back in 2010, the actor said that both he and Spielberg "dropped the ball" on Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, claiming it didn't live up to the standard set by the rest of the adventure series.

LaBeouf has now told The Hollywood Reporter that he "deeply regrets" his negative comments, which at the time led Harrison Ford to brand him a "f**king idiot".

"[Spielberg] told me there's a time to be a human being and have an opinion, and there's a time to sell cars," he said. "It brought me freedom, but it also killed my spirits because this was a dude I looked up to like a sensei."

jason10mm

Gold Member
Eh, never gonna happen. 'Sides, I think the PWB hype train is gonna end when more of her' contributions' to films like NTTD wash out when the films are actually released. Fleabag started strong but ended quite soft, not really sure what else she can use to justify herself. She has all the hallmarks of a flash in the pan flavor of the month type artist.

I'm all down for more globe trotting archeologist adventurers, but Indiana Jones is a very specific type and let's be honest, very few others have had much success other than maybe Rick O'connell and a bit of Lara Croft. We'll see if Uncharted can do it.

Xenon

Harrison Ford GIF

Waiting to see what forms of all this.
If down as she picks up the torch etc or Indy family then cool.
If just a one dimensional perfect character with no development then I expect it to flop.

In order for that to happen the people involved would have to respect the original character. Which pretty much sums up the problem with most of these things. The people making it either feel that the old materials flawed for not being diverse or outright hate it as a bygone product of the patriarchy.

The new Ghostbusters seems to be the exception while the previous attempt to remake the series serves as the perfect example of it.

Hearing Kathleen Kennedy is involved in this makes me have very little faith that we're gonna get anything close to a film that respects the original source material.

Last edited:

Google Shia and FKA Twigs (singer, his former girlfriend). That's the issue.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Wasn't aware of that. You sure its the same guy? Where even can he stream that kind of stuff?
It's on Bitchute.

Video here and people in the comments point out things in the Bitchute videos that prove they're the same guy. Same mannerisms, expressions used, even their video intros used to be the same. I have a friend who said he showed up at some event as both characters once or something but I don't know if that's true.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I liked shia wish he played ball he should've just gone along with it and cash some big as$ checks and do his independent artistic work on the side

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It's on Bitchute.

Video here and people in the comments point out things in the Bitchute videos that prove they're the same guy. Same mannerisms, expressions used, even their video intros used to be the same. I have a friend who said he showed up at some event as both characters once or something but I don't know if that's true.

That's a shame if true. I hope Drinker doesn't stream with him anymore. Drinker is the only tuber in that group I watch on the regular.

McCheese

Harrison can barely even do it himself these days, so I'm fine with them continuing the "Indiana jones universe" with another lead, and I don't really care if it's a man or woman, a man would be compared directly with Ford so I can see perfectly good reasons to cast a woman as the new lead in subsequent films with a decent handover in this one, sure we have a lot of woman-led films now but there is always room for another one if it's decent.

And this "if it's decent" is where I can relate to folks concerns, the problem isn't female leads, the problem is Hollywoods current obsession with strong, infallible female leads who go an entire film without losing a fight, messing up or putting a foot wrong, all in the name of feminism (or something, I don't really understand).

Let's wait for the trailer, if it has ford saving her ass and tutoring her then I'm interested, if however, it has "strong female" saving Ford in some shape or form, despite his whole thing being about being able to escape by himself despite impossible odds, I'm out.

ManaByte

Gold Member
That's a shame if true. I hope Drinker doesn't stream with him anymore. Drinker is the only tuber in that group I watch on the regular.
Even worse it seems like there are people even in this thread who seem to be ok with it.

Last edited:

Lupingosei

Banned
Have they considered creating an original character? Crazy idea, I know...
Yeah, they tried.

It worked when they are relatable and fun, Fast and Furious franchise for example. But they failed each time when they were only defined by their gender, sexuality, or race. Also, it did not work out when they were preachy Mary Sues, Spock's adopted supersister as an example.

Create something new and fun is a lot of work and also demands, that you might be interesting and fun too or at least know what is interesting and fun. But if you are only living inside your Twitter bubble you have to take somebody else's work and add your commentary, politics, or ideology to it.

ManaByte

Gold Member

The above video is a bit better than that (although that one is great too). It's long (45 minutes) but they do side-by-side comparisons and even point out how he'll re-use his Bitchute script and just change certain words for the YouTube videos, and again people in the comments even provide more evidence.

Last edited:

sol_bad

The above video is a bit better than that (although that one is great too). It's long (45 minutes) but they do side-by-side comparisons and even point out how he'll re-use his Bitchute script and just change certain words for the YouTube videos, and again people in the comments even provide more evidence.

Not sure how it works on mobiles but my link was a time stamp link.

ManaByte

Gold Member
It's not 100% proof of course re them being the same person.

The longer video is pretty convincing, especially when they compare the voices and how they both pronounce things the same and the near identical nature to the scripts. There some other stuff in the video such as comparing when and how the channels were setup and the production similarities.

ManaByte

Gold Member
They said the same about Doctor Who.

Marshall was accepting the Producer of the Decade award at CinemaCon, and his conversation about Indy 5 also referred to his work as a producer on the Bourne franchise. “Both in the Jason Bourne series and on Indiana Jones, we are not going to do the Bond thing,” said Marshall. “We think those characters are iconic, and those are the only actors who can play that.”

mortal

Gold Member
Yeah, they tried.

It worked when they are relatable and fun, Fast and Furious franchise for example. But they failed each time when they were only defined by their gender, sexuality, or race. Also, it did not work out when they were preachy Mary Sues, Spock's adopted supersister as an example.

Create something new and fun is a lot of work and also demands, that you might be interesting and fun too or at least know what is interesting and fun. But if you are only living inside your Twitter bubble you have to take somebody else's work and add your commentary, politics, or ideology to it.
That was more of a rhetorical question.

Although I agree, it's still worth pursuing even if that outcome is not guaranteed.
Everyone plays their part well when the priorities are in order and there is a concise vision.
When the priorities are to pander, then of course the results will be questionable, if not outright terrible.

It's not necessarily the politics or commentary that I take issue with tbh, it's really the cynicism that underpins creative decisions like that.
They can go ahead and make their social or political statements, at the very least create an original story or original characters to explore those themes and ideas.

It's like pretending to be bold without taking the same creative risks. Instead they're trying to co-opt the huge cushy fanbase that was built up over years and years with lots of investment and creative risk taken by far more interesting creators. Yet they expect the same level of praise.

Not all of them can be winners, and that's completely fine. That's part of the creative experience.

Last edited:
Top Bottom