• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another one bites to dust: Phoebe Waller-Bridge may replace Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones

ManaByte

Gold Member
. Otherwise the Lucasarts acquisition is just Star Wars and they are already driving that into the grave.

It's also Willow (which Disney also owns 100% due to the Fox purchase) which is why they just filmed the sequel series to that.

Disney is ending Indy because continuing to make movies only benefits a competitor because people will go buy the original four, making Paramount money.

This is how Disney works. The banned new Mutants from being created by Marvel comics so it wouldn't give Fox new characters to make movies out of.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It's also Willow (which Disney also owns 100% due to the Fox purchase) which is why they just filmed the sequel series to that.

Disney is ending Indy because continuing to make movies only benefits a competitor because people will go buy the original four, making Paramount money.
Arnold Omg GIF

I was looking for the Conan gif but this works too lol. I was not aware of this. I love Willow!

K' Dash

Depends on the execution as usual, Ford is too old to do action roles so it makes sense that he's being replaced if the series is to continue.

If he gets belittled and deconstructed the whole movie to prop up the female Indy then yeah that the lame way forward for the franchise.

That's exactly what's going to happen, Hollywood doesn't know how to make powerful female leads without dumbing down every male character around them.

jason10mm

Gold Member

This is how Disney works. The banned new Mutants from being created by Marvel comics so it wouldn't give Fox new characters to make movies out of.
Remind me who greenlit this?

New Indiana Jones game: everything we know so far | TechRadar

Just because they don't make dvd money off the OT (is ANYONE making DVD money anymore?) doesn't mean that new content with that IP can't still be successful. God only knows how the streaming rights will float around, I think Showtime of all places has it right now. This makes it even more important to rebrand the IP around a new actor IMHO, especially if the mouse has exclusive merch rights.

Anyway, I suspect "orphaned" Paramount properties like this will eventually get sold and the IJ distribution rights will eventually find their way into the Disney fold. In this era Paramount seems by far the most vulnerable legacy studio ATM to streamers desperate for back catalogue titles and IP consolidation. How much would Disney pay versus how much will IJ add to a Paramount/CBS streaming library? Saying that IJ5 is "the last" is a good way to devalue the distribution rights prior to an offer while still getting something out while HF is alive.

Xenon

Please explain how that sentence applies to 3:10 to Yuma, Logan, and Ford vs Ferrari. Because that's who's writing AND directing this movie.

Only one of those films seems applicable and even that one the character wasn't a replacement for Wolverine. The movie was more about a finality for an existing near immortal character than setting up a new one. Which begs the question what is the point of this movie even being made other than possibly set up the next film series starring a female lead. Especially when you consider the person in charge or producing us has been trying to do this with other series much to the IPs detriment. Getting a good writer is nice to see. But we have no idea what the people who are signing the checks asked him to write. What are their goals for the movie?

ManaByte

Gold Member
The movie was more about a finality for an existing near immortal character than setting up a new one. Which begs the question what is the point of this movie even being made other than possibly set up the next film series starring a female lead.

Except everything Disney has said about this movie is that it's the FINAL movie. The only people claiming it's something else are YouTubers with an agenda and British tabloids spreading outrage for clicks.

Especially when you consider the person in charge or producing us has been trying to do this with other series much to the IPs detriment.

Frank Marshall is the producer for Indy, not his wife.

Last edited:

dukeoflegs

A new movie seems difficult to pull off with a new lead.
Why not bring back Young Indian Jones series, ease people back into the franchise and either go with a young Indy for a new movie or cast a new adult Indy?

Xenon

Except everything Disney has said about this movie is that it's the FINAL movie. The only people claiming it's something else are YouTubers with an agenda and British tabloids spreading outrage for clicks.

Frank Marshall is the producer for Indy, not his wife.

That is all good news. Let's hope for the best.

jason10mm

Gold Member
A new movie seems difficult to pull off with a new lead.
Why not bring back Young Indian Jones series, ease people back into the franchise and either go with a young Indy for a new movie or cast a new adult Indy?
Dammit, you cracked it!

Indian Jones is an indigenous person who steals precious artifacts out of booby trap laden private museums to return them to the tribal groups they were stolen from!!

Fuck... kinda like that actually :)

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I would like it if the whole movie she never says her name, then at the end when she takes his place she says her name is Lara Croft.

Depends on the execution as usual, Ford is too old to do action roles so it makes sense that he's being replaced if the series is to continue.

If he gets belittled and deconstructed the whole movie to prop up the female Indy then yeah that the lame way forward for the franchise.

This.

If it's a logical "take you under my wing" thing since he's getting too old to roll... then yeah, that works.

If it's "step aside old man and see how a random 20-something who worked in a museum kicks ass" then... nah.

Animated GIF

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I would like it if the whole movie she never says her name, then at the end when she takes his place she says her name is Lara Croft.
Have you SEEN PWB? She is about a british a dame as it gets, i.e. thin as a rail and looks like she just smelt a fart. About the opposite of Lara Croft in every way other than nationality. I'm ok with the Alicia Vikander toned LC over the top heavy barbie look but she's gotta look like she can climb a rock wall or something at the very least. Fighting Prime Gina Carano would be my preferred look though. I wish more action actresses put in the work like all the action men.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Brendan Fraser should have taken over as Indy years and years ago
Would have been a short stint, he didn't age nearly as well as HF. But late 90's through the 00's, yes.

I'm not sure who I'd want to be a new IJ now. Pratt is probably the obvious choice but I think he is too comedic and just doesn't fit my preferred 20s/30s setting and a younger Indy. I'd be shooting for an early 30's actor playing Indy as a grad student in the late 20's to cover the whole Underwood stuff including the illicit relationship with Marion as well as rivalry with Belloq. Next film could cover Indy's friendship with Wu Han, bring back Club Obi-Wan and maybe Lao Che. That should cover all the film references we need (personally I would retire Indy's father forever) and then they could strike out on totally new territory and not have to reference much of the other films.

Amory

It doesn't matter. These old franchises are dead, and have been dead a long time. It's just nerd nostalgia dollars keeping them coming back for zombie sequels and they're never any good anyway. They exist to make a bunch of money and for people to complain about them.

Just like with all modernizations though, it does leave you wondering who it's for. If you drew a venn diagram showing people who still actually care about Indiana Jones & people who would cheer a female Indiana Jones, the circles would barely intersect. It's just like, creepy male feminist types I guess.

When the goal is just to make a pile of money, it's weird when your starting point is alienating the core.

For me Indiana Jones ended with Last Crusade. Don't get me wrong I liked Young Indiana Jones Chronicles and I love closest to 4 entry "Fate of Atlantis". But I have 0 faith KK can make a good Indy movie even with Mangold. With so many problems pseudo Indy 5 got - Harrison injury and norovirus - there could be some serious script changes. And all the rumors we hear can be true now but false tommorow.

sol_bad

I have all four in 4K steelbooks.

Yeah, Crystal Skull was the first to release in 2008 so I bought it because I was buying a shit tonne of blu rays at the time. Then by the time the original trilogy released there were talks about 4K releases, not specifically for Indy but 4K in general. So I thought I'd wait it out. Now the 4K releases have happened but Indy 5 is in production so now I'll wait for that to release and get the 4K 5 movie box set.
LOL

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yeah, Crystal Skull was the first to release in 2008 so I bought it because I was buying a shit tonne of blu rays at the time. Then by the time the original trilogy released there were talks about 4K releases, not specifically for Indy but 4K in general. So I thought I'd wait it out. Now the 4K releases have happened but Indy 5 is in production so now I'll wait for that to release and get the 4K 5 movie box set.
LOL

There won't be a 5 movie boxed set. Paramount still owns the original four. That's why they did the 4K release just now.

sol_bad

There won't be a 5 movie boxed set. Paramount still owns the original four. That's why they did the 4K release just now.

I'll wait and see. Crazy things have happened like all the Friday the 13th movies being released as a box set when it's licensing was all over the place.

MacReady13

Contrary to popular belief, I actually enjoyed the 4th film and saw it as a fitting end to the Indy story. Why can't they just do a prequel story in between the original films? Cast someone else to play Indy and just make a 1940's Indy film set maybe just before the start of WW2? Harrison Ford is WELL past his prime and it's time to move on. No Spielberg. No Lucas. No Indy for me.

Top Bottom