• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another one bites to dust: Phoebe Waller-Bridge may replace Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones

mansoor1980

Gold Member
jNyPw7W.gif

Xenon

The longer video is pretty convincing, especially when they compare the voices and how they both pronounce things the same and the near identical nature to the scripts. There some other stuff in the video such as comparing when and how the channels were setup and the production similarities.
Still one can argue that this was created by somebody else to actually bring the guy down. It's quite obvious that DC is cringe material, But this seems like a stretch to discredit content that they don't like.. Not based on its merit but rather come in at its sideways through conspiracy theories

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Still one can argue that this was created by somebody else to actually bring the guy down. It's quite obvious that DC is cringe material, But this seems like a stretch to discredit content that they don't like.. Not based on its merit but rather come in at its sideways through conspiracy theories

It's a crazy conspiracy if someone is able to mimic someone else to the point of copying their body language, speech patterns, cadences, and voice just to bring down someone on YouTube.

*Nightwing

I always suspect any source that’s mostly all politics and no information of substance injected into its content from either side. It’s the literal definition of propaganda and the whole doomcock debacle is just a circle jerk of propaganda from both sides. The mass of the population don’t care about man babies yelling idiocies into thier megaphones, nor go to the other extreme wasting thier time and try and silence theses fools that only impact thier own echo chambers.

If these reports are factual the sad part is the continuing lack of inspiration. Making the same shit over again with a different character is just the same thing as before with a minor change. Why can’t they actually make something new and entertaining? It doesn’t have to try and set up a passing of the torch like Crystal Skull tried and failed at, just needs to be a simple story with character development, an obstacle to overcome, and some resolution to the story while being cohesive throughout the storytelling using an already established and beloved character. Shit ain’t rocket science

Xenon

It's a crazy conspiracy if someone is able to mimic someone else to the point of copying their body language, speech patterns, cadences, and voice just to bring down someone on YouTube.
It's also a bit on the nose though. So this guy decided to create a new persona but didn't bother to change his mannerisms and voice?

If you think is a nazi because of his content, fine. But this Seems a bit too convenient in Juicy Smallee kind of way.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
If these reports are factual the sad part is the continuing lack of inspiration. Making the same shit over again with a different character is just the same thing as before with a minor change. Why can’t they actually make something new and entertaining? It doesn’t have to try and set up a passing of the torch like Crystal Skull tried and failed at, just needs to be a simple story with character development, an obstacle to overcome, and some resolution to the story while being cohesive throughout the storytelling using an already established and beloved character. Shit ain’t rocket science

1. Frank Marshall (the actual producer on this, not his wife like The Daily Mail claims) said that Harrison is the only Indiana Jones and they wouldn't do the Bond thing by replacing Indy with someone else.
2. When Mangold was hired, and re-wrote the movie, Disney then stated it's the FINAL Indiana Jones movie. As in, they're not passing the torch to continue it. This is the end.

The rumor is Waller-Bridge is Brody's daughter and she has scenes with Boyd Holbrook's character (who people have speculated could be a re-cast Mutt).

Last edited:

kunonabi

I always suspect any source that’s mostly all politics and no information of substance injected into its content from either side. It’s the literal definition of propaganda and the whole doomcock debacle is just a circle jerk of propaganda from both sides. The mass of the population don’t care about man babies yelling idiocies into thier megaphones, nor go to the other extreme wasting thier time and try and silence theses fools that only impact thier own echo chambers.

Because it isn't about creating something new for these people. It's about tearing stuff down and taking things away from those who care about them.

When is the last time they created a *new*, original character with the cache of Indiana Jones? Indy was like 50 years ago at this point. Can we at least try to do something new and interesting?

GeorgPrime

Banned

Fortunately as I stay as far away from Hollywood as humanly possible.

Finalky "In Diana Jones" makes sense

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its funny, at this point revisiting an old genre franchise and opting not to tinker with it would be a novelty!

I get that there's a lot of money invested in these projects, but the chasing of currently fashionable trends in progressive politics is just so knee-jerk at this point. I understand that its all a facade, that all it is is risk-mitigation and they just want to make money, but... Its not even that I am fundamentally opposed to doing gender switches and whatnot. But when everything feels like its getting the "stunning-and-brave" makeover... I can't help but feel suspicious!

Tschumi

Crystal Skull already disappointed me, future developments in this series mean little.

She's probably a better option than Shia theBeef

Last edited:

Tschumi

Can i just say I appreciate when a fellow poster tries to bring a slice of cognition to a thread?

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
No one is "replacing Indiana Jones" because that's a fucking character. He will retire or die and they'll just make a new movie with a different name that we may or may not watch so...............

Who Cares Tv Show GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race S5

jason10mm

Gold Member
No one is "replacing Indiana Jones" because that's a fucking character. He will retire or die and they'll just make a new movie with a different name that we may or may not watch so...............

Who Cares Tv Show GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race S5's Drag Race S5
I care.

The Harrison Ford interpretation of the character (basically the only one that really matters to me despite reading comics and books with IJ) is important to me so I would like to see another actor take up the mantle and do justice to HF and IJ while having some leeway for their own spin. But a woman, aborigine, 2020s hipster, etc is just not what I want for this character.

sol_bad

Because audiences don't support new ideas theatrically. Get you friends and family to watch different types of films, even if the marketing looks shit. Marketing isn't always the best at representing what a movie is.

If you like sci-fi, support sci-fi movies.
If you like westerns, support western movies.
Comedies, support comedy movies.
Action movies that don't involve super heroes, support them too even if the trailer makes it look generic.

It's up to audiences to show studios that they'll take a chance at something new.

DeepBreath87 DeepBreath87 same with you.

Last edited:
Because it isn't about creating something new for these people. It's about tearing stuff down and taking things away from those who care about them.

Am I reading this correctly? You think movie studio's, who are in the business of generating profits for shareholders mind you, are purposely "tearing stuff down" and "taking things away from those who care about them"?

You think that's their m.o.? To "ruin" money making ip's in a petty attempt at sticking it to fans? And, hilariously enough, sticking it to fans appears to involve having women and people of color as their main weapon? That's their grand scheme?

Xenon

Who Cares Tv Show GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race S5's Drag Race S5

A lot of people that's why they're pilfering the IP

belmarduk

I can't imagine this is true. Movies still have to make money and I don't know who this woman is, but I can't imagine she would be a box office draw like Harrison Ford is. Just use CGI. I don't care if he's 80.

Mossybrew

Fucking whatever. They keep casting this senior citizen, who should have long since retired from the role, bring a Tomb Raider spin on it, IDGAF.

Kenpachii

Only way for the IP to survive is move to a new character. Shia was the target already with the last indiana jones, but that didn't work out so well as he became bat shit insane and started to go after the people that put bread on his table.

So they will most likely now introduce a new person that is actually going to take over the IP. Let's be honest here harrison is what 80 years old almost. Nobody wants this guy running around in the IP its over for him and it was already a decade + ago.

Then let harrison ford return like in star wars as support cast on the background.

There is nothing they can do with the IP other then this.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I care.

The Harrison Ford interpretation of the character (basically the only one that really matters to me despite reading comics and books with IJ) is important to me so I would like to see another actor take up the mantle and do justice to HF and IJ while having some leeway for their own spin. But a woman, aborigine, 2020s hipster, etc is just not what I want for this character.
A lot of people that's why they're pilfering the IP

What are you ppl talking about? The character will not be replaced. There will not be a different Indiana Jones. The character will always remain HF. There will be a movie similar to it with a different character and so I ask again, why the fuck do you care if it has no relation to Indie besides maybe being in the same universe? They're not doing anything to Indiana. HF is fucking old, it's about time he retire anyway. This is not a gender swap you incels.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
What are you ppl talking about? The character will not be replaced. There will not be a different Indiana Jones. The character will always remain HF. There will be a movie similar to it with a different character and so I ask again, why the fuck do you care if it has no relation to Indie besides maybe being in the same universe? They're not doing anything to Indiana. HF is fucking old, it's about time he retire anyway. This is not a gender swap you incels.
There is a 0% chance that the character of Indiana Jones dies with HF. It is top valuable an IP. The only other option is to remake Raiders using that title without the added "Indiana Jones and the...." bit but let's be honest, it's the name IJ that puts asses in seats.

I want more IJ and I want the new actor to be similar to, but not an imitation of, HF. I want the setting back to the 20 and 30s and I want an adventure serial vibe. There are a fair number of books, comics, and games they can draw from, the IP is rich.

And I'll be happy to tell my kids and the wife your opinion that folks like me are incels, you inbred buffoon.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Do you REALLY believe that?

When has hollywood and megastudios ever stood by an announcement like that FOREVER? Are they signing the film rights back to some specific person who can guard them for a lifetime?

The time of a new IJ depends heavily on the success for IJ5. If it flops maybe they will try for a Clone Wars style cartoon show (I think this is happening regardless) first to retool the character but if IJ5 does gangbusters I bet we'll see another film with a new actor playing a character named Indiana Jones within a decade, in addition to any "non-film" loophole stuff they are already planning.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Do you REALLY believe that?

When has hollywood and megastudios ever stood by an announcement like that FOREVER? Are they signing the film rights back to some specific person who can guard them for a lifetime?
It doesn't benefit Disney to continue a franchise where they only can profit off ONE of the movies.

Indy isn't like Star Wars where after the Fox purchase Disney owns 100% of the films and can stream them and resell them in $300 deluxe boxed sets forever.

Paramount still (and will continue to) owns the first four movies. Disney couldn't get the rights to those. With Harrison being 80 they decided this is the end of the series as they have always said hey aren't recasting him.

Xenon

Ahhhh. So your just another one of those superior human beings with progressive values, I wish there was a word for that.

As far the characters still there, sadly because many times the people writing these types of movies lack the talent to develop a good character they often do it at the expense of the old ones. Because it's about showing that their new ______ character is better.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
If this happens… box office returns will tank
And silly gaffers… how could Mutt take over? He’s a dumb greaser not an archeologist.. he’s not educated

ManaByte

Gold Member
As far the characters still there, sadly because many times the people writing these types of movies lack the talent to develop a good character they often do it at the expense of the old ones.

Please explain how that sentence applies to 3:10 to Yuma, Logan, and Ford vs Ferrari. Because that's who's writing AND directing this movie.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It's not. Last one came out 13 years ago. Top value means milking. That is not the case.
That is because they are wedded to these ancient actors, producers, and directors. If they wanted to, they could hire a new team and pop out an IJ film every other year. There is plenty of expanded universe IP for them to mine for ideas. The first 3 were all in the same decade, remember. But as we saw with TYIJC, there is a specific type of IJ adventure the fans want, not just anything with Indiana Jones slapped on it (though I liked most of TYIJC, I think Flannery was miscast and the focus of the show was too much on education [like a lot of youth content back then] and not enough on action and fun).

ManaByte

Gold Member
That is because they are wedded to these ancient actors, producers, and directors.

Lucas and Spielberg aren't involved with this one. It's being written and directed by James Mangold. Spielberg dropped out when the WWII angle came in because he won't do "cartoon Nazis" anymore after Schindler's List.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It doesn't benefit Disney to continue a franchise where they only can profit off ONE of the movies.

Indy isn't like Star Wars where after the Fox purchase Disney owns 100% of the films and can stream them and resell them in $300 deluxe boxed sets forever.

Paramount still (and will continue to) owns the first four movies. Disney couldn't get the rights to those. With Harrison being 80 they decided this is the end of the series as they have always said hey aren't recasting him.
Then it makes even MORE sense to make new IJ films they CAN profit from. Otherwise the Lucasarts acquisition is just Star Wars and they are already driving that into the grave. And I'm not sure Paramount itself is in a great position right now, their back catalogue has got to have the major streamer players salivating.

I think IJ5 will introduce new concepts to see if that format is still viable. I don't think PWB is going to move forward as the lead but I do think the studio wants to demo ideas while they can simultaneously milk this "The LAST Indiana Jones EVER" PR nonsense. They can refresh the franchise with animation, maybe even a live action TV show but I just don't think the IJ concept works as well that way (the budget for a quality live action show would swamp what they could do with animation instead) though the mandalorian greenscreen bubble thing might change that. Still, I think IJ works better as a mostly practical effect stunt spectacular, not CGI. Maybe they can get Nolan?

jason10mm

Gold Member
Lucas and Spielberg aren't involved with this one. It's being written and directed by James Mangold. Spielberg dropped out when the WWII angle came in because he won't do "cartoon Nazis" anymore after Schindler's List.
Exactly my point. As they shed these legacy folks the project can move forward. If the goal is "create more IJ movies" then these old folks with well secured positions are not the ones to do it. They need folks with fresh vision and drive to make their mark. I just want them to come from a place of respect for the IP, it isn't that hard or complicated.

Top Bottom