• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthony Joshua knocks out Francis Ngannou in Round 2

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Has to be said, Fury was in poor form and this makes him look bad but damn good on Joshua for doing what he had to do.

I hate to see Ngannou down like that because he's never been knocked out like that. And we know he would maul Joshua in an MMA fight.

DJ12

Ngannou wouldn't want to face Joshua in the octogen either, man just had his chin destroyed.

He'll never be the same again.

Maaaannnn... I was watching the card and then stopped to eat dinner with the wife and kid and it slipped my mind the fight was coming on at 6pm est(ish) and by the time I remembered to check in, it was done.

Not surprised that AJ won, really more excited to see the AJ vs. Fury fight (hopefully), but I'll say, I'm proud of Ngannou and what he's achieved in all these years. Hope to see so more awesome things from him for years to come. Grats to both to be honest.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Damn. Bro got folded like a beach chair. Hope his knee (and brain) are okay.

Ngannou is a likable fella. He should stick to MMA and not fight world class heavyweight boxers. Tyson Fury didn’t take him seriously and it showed.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Man, I love boxing and have since I was a kid, but this is why MMA fighters take less damage in their careers. He would’ve got finished quickly after that first knockdown in a MMA match rather than giving him a second to recover then taking a massive shot. A more experienced boxer wouldn’t have walked right into that after getting knocked down also. Hard lesson to learn at this stage.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
well things just got interesting. Fury either gonna give it all big mouth before the fight or he is going to train hard and give us a good fight ? Maybe Joshua is the better of the two all along ?

DKehoe

Man, I love boxing and have since I was a kid, but this is why MMA fighters take less damage in their careers. He would’ve got finished quickly after that first knockdown in a MMA match rather than giving him a second to recover then taking a massive shot. A more experienced boxer wouldn’t have walked right into that after getting knocked down also. Hard lesson to learn at this stage.
Yeh, people think a downed fighter taking shots in MMA is rough and while obviously it’s not exactly great for your health it’s much better for the fight to end the instant someone stops being able to defend themselves rather than getting a 10 count to get back up and potentially get hammered again.

On the positive side for Ngannou, he reportedly got $20 million for this compared to the $600k he got for his last UFC fight.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
knocked-out-chris-tucker.gif

GymWolf

Good, ngannou was getting too cocky.

Back to pfl he goes unless they offer him another fight, maybe against wilder.

Last edited:

Romulus

I'm thinking the first knockdown on Fury was the only thing that kept Francis from taking a beating. Probably just landed a lucky shot that helped him throughout.

Kings Field

The real shocker yesterday was how Nick Ball got screwed out of the title. Hopefully he gets his run back and melts that can in the first exchange.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
AJ just showing the boxing world how to easily defeat even the most dangerous and powerful novice opponent.

Stay tight defensively, make reads, find the openings and punish mercilessly.

Should work every single time because going in with a game-plan like that it puts the onus on the less experienced fighter to figure out how to out-box the veteran. Which objectively shouldn't ever happen because even if they go in all-guns blazing they'll fade over the rounds due to inexperience of contests fought under boxing rules.

Don't play with them or overthink it.

Top Bottom