• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anti-Depressant OT

MrMephistoX

Just curious if anyone else is on anti-depressants and what you’re on and how it’s working for you? This thread could be used to chat about it.

I’m on Vraylar and also currently recovering from surgery and on Oxycotin for pain. This stuff makes me feel great! And that’s what scares me it’s only 5 mg each dose so I’m not worried about being addicted but I do wonder about if my anti-depression meds are the right ones? Like is there anything anyone is taking that hits like an opioid?

Saiyan-Rox

I've been on loads 🙃

Currently changed from Vensir XL to fluoxetine about 2 weeks ago

But that's because the NHS when it comes to mental health services would rather throw new pills at me than get me a psychiatrist even after I told them I had pills to use cause I was near my tether.

Whitecrow

Banned
Sertraline and mirtazapine.

It makes me not feel bad, but not good either.
I also feel like my brain is having a hard time remembering recent events.

Better than nothing tho. Need my adhd sorted out too.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I've been on Effexor 75mg for the last 15 years. I call it my "social tolerance" medicine.
Before the meds I once slapped a guy upside the head who was cutting his toenails on the subway & called him a pig 😄
I would generally be impatient and borderline rude with some people in certain social situations.
The meds make me more relaxed and tolerant.

QSD

I was on efexor (venlafaxine) a while but all it reliably did was make me weirdly numb and equanimous to everything. The first couple of days on were weird as I was seeing heightened colours like I would normally get with something like mdma or a small dose of shrooms. Coming off it I had brain zaps for a couple of weeks. Never tried anything else.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Long distance cardio releases endorphins which are basically your body’s natural opioids. Feels great, great for you, and exercise is the most effective treatment for depression.

Don’t go chasing the dragon. Millions have tried, millions have died or lost themselves.
Thank God someone said this.

Thank. God.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
obrazek.php

Helped me a ton in life, mainly over-coming rampant alcoholism and it generally makes me feel normal. If I want to feel little high, just skip one day and take two doses insead of one next day. All in all recommended.

MrMephistoX

Long distance cardio releases endorphins which are basically your body’s natural opioids. Feels great, great for you, and exercise is the most effective treatment for depression.

Don’t go chasing the dragon. Millions have tried, millions have died or lost themselves.
Oh yeah not looking to get another script as soon as this one is over but was curious because my meds really just make me feel numb.

Ownage

I'm on hypertension medication, and feel much better as a result. I take Candesartan, which also has off label tendencies to act like a beta blocker. I wish I began taking it decades ago. No longer do I have any anxiety when performing, public speaking or whatnot.

I've been on Effexor 75mg for the last 15 years. I call it my "social tolerance" medicine.
Before the meds I once slapped a guy upside the head who was cutting his toenails on the subway & called him a pig 😄
I would generally be impatient and borderline rude with some people in certain social situations.
The meds make me more relaxed and tolerant.

I was on efexor (venlafaxine) a while but all it reliably did was make me weirdly numb and equanimous to everything. The first couple of days on were weird as I was seeing heightened colours like I would normally get with something like mdma or a small dose of shrooms. Coming off it I had brain zaps for a couple of weeks. Never tried anything else.

I was just prescribed Effexor (37.5mg) a little over two weeks ago. So I'm new to the medication. I think I'm noticing some slight differences like more energy although I heard you really don't feel actual changes until about 6 to 8 weeks after taking it. I'd like to know more about this medication if you can fill me in especially since I'm usually concerned about antidepressants like this and this is one of the first I've taken. Again, I've only been on it for about 2 weeks or a little over two weeks.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
Endorphins.

All the other shite should only be for people who are literally about to end themselves as a last resort. Being on such drugs is not a solution, as as soon as you get off them, the depression returns.

At least with endorphins, all you need to do is go for a walk, and to get them actually encourages you to do something.

Kenpachii

Escitalopram 15mg

Notice absolute dick shit tho. It's to take the edge off when i am on severe stress which is practically the entire day.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I'm don't take anti depressants but my wife was on zoloft but decided she doesn't need it and now she literally rages like the hulk for anything and everything. Any suggestions (medication) and no a bullet through my head is out of the question I have small children that need me.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Endorphins.

All the other shite should only be for people who are literally about to end themselves as a last resort. Being on such drugs is not a solution, as as soon as you get off them, the depression returns.

At least with endorphins, all you need to do is go for a walk, and to get them actually encourages you to do something.

Sadly, exercise doesn't work for everyone. Medication can and often do make people's lives a lot better. Proper depression and anxiety are symptoms of chemical imbalances in the brain, and they require more intervention than naturally occurring chemicals can achieve.

However, no one should ever just rely on medication. What doctors should be telling people when they hand out scrips is that the medication should come alongside an improvement in lifestyle. Holistic approach, and all that.

Tams

Gold Member
Sadly, exercise doesn't work for everyone. Medication can and often do make people's lives a lot better. Proper depression and anxiety are symptoms of chemical imbalances in the brain, and they require more intervention than naturally occurring chemicals can achieve.

However, no one should ever just rely on medication. What doctors should be telling people when they hand out scrips is that the medication should come alongside an improvement in lifestyle. Holistic approach, and all that.

While my anecdotal evidence is, well, anecdotal, I have also yet to see a scientific paper that shows hard evidence that drugs are needed for depression (other than for those who have limited mobility).

I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of people with depression don't get a healthy combination of the following: exercise, healthy diet, sleep, (friendly/positive) social interaction, and time outdoors.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
While my anecdotal evidence is, well, anecdotal, I have also yet to see a scientific paper that shows hard evidence that drugs are needed for depression (other than for those who have limited mobility).

I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of people with depression don't get a healthy combination of the following: exercise, healthy diet, sleep, (friendly/positive) social interaction, and time outdoors.

The Guardian has this: https://www.theguardian.com/science...ork-antidepressants-are-effective-study-shows

I think the issue with them tends to be that it's not fully understood why they work, so there's an understandable amount of confusion over whether they are worth taking or not. Hard to quantify the efficacy of a medicine if it's hard to pin down what they actually do.

I'd say in my experience I've known people who have genuinely benefited from them when other treatment options have failed, and equally know others who have not benefited at all. Not a one size fits all solution, certainly.

Tams

Gold Member
The Guardian has this: https://www.theguardian.com/science...ork-antidepressants-are-effective-study-shows

I think the issue with them tends to be that it's not fully understood why they work, so there's an understandable amount of confusion over whether they are worth taking or not. Hard to quantify the efficacy of a medicine if it's hard to pin down what they actually do.

I'd say in my experience I've known people who have genuinely benefited from them when other treatment options have failed, and equally know others who have not benefited at all. Not a one size fits all solution, certainly.

I'm not saying the drugs don't work. They clearly do. But you then become reliant on them and if your supply runs out, well, good luck. Not to mention potential side effects.

Endorphins on the other hand, are free and you can trigger their release at any time with a little effort (yes, I am well aware that that can be hard to muster up the energy/courage to do).

I've found going into a sort of robotic mode until I'm into whatever it is helps there. No real time for depressive thoughts when your 3 miles from home and freezing your balls off.

Peggies

Gold Member
obrazek.php

Helped me a ton in life, mainly over-coming rampant alcoholism and it generally makes me feel normal. If I want to feel little high, just skip one day and take two doses insead of one next day. All in all recommended.
I used to take them for my AFP.
When I got off them it felt like this for one week. Holy shit!

family guy help GIF

Now I'm on Duloxetin. That's nice!

To all the "take a walk or do sports" people in here: feeling low and having depressions is not the same thing. Yes, endorphines work if you're just having a shitty week but that's not the case with depressions.

Antidepressants help me to feel like "normal" people do, so I can manage and work with what I got.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
My only time with them was when I done my back in at work, no pain killer was touching it, the Dr prescribed some, cant remember the name, they're still sitting in the draw at home. One night the pain got too much so I took two, I couldnt wake up and overslept till 9am, I awoke to ten missed calls from my fathers care home, he'd gone into cardiac arrest, they'd tried to bring him back for 45 minutes but by that time he was hypoxic, I'd slept through it all. By the time i'd got to hospital I was granted the pleasure of watching him gasp to death on room oxygen, he was meant to come home that week, the 'nurse' in charge basically killed him as he'd three prior chances to go to hospital over four days, this was during that bullshit period you couldnt visit relatives for 'Covid reasons

I wont be taking them again. I rarely even take an asprin now.

I'd rather go crazy than be nullified again.

Truth be told, I'm probably more depressed than ever about it all still, no one was ever held accountable and the nurses are still practicing.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

family guy help GIF

To all the "take a walk or do sports" people in here: feeling low and having depressions is not the same thing. Yes, endorphines work if you're just having a shitty week but that's not the case with depressions.

Antidepressants help me to feel like "normal" people do, so I can manage and work with what I got.
I am aware, but I survived few Benzo withdrawals, so this is child play

Lunarorbit

I'm on citlopram. I think it helps. Especially during the winter when it's cold and dark all the time. I haven't noticed any side effects but I won't mind lowering my dosage a little in the future.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
To all the "take a walk or do sports" people in here: feeling low and having depressions is not the same thing. Yes, endorphins work if you're just having a shitty week but that's not the case with depressions.

I'm not doubting what you say on a personal level, but I've seen people on AD's and they're clearly still depressed.

I see commercials of anti-depressant "boosters", used to enhance the effects of other anti-depressants?

....So, they need to take an anti-depressant for another anti-depressant, and yet some of them are still depressed?

It seems like madness to me.

But what do I know? 🤷‍♂️

Saiyan-Rox

I'm not doubting what you say on a personal level, but I've seen people on AD's and they're clearly still depressed.

I see commercials of anti-depressant "boosters", used to enhance the effects of other anti-depressants?

....So, they need to take an anti-depressant for another anti-depressant, and yet some of them are still depressed?

But what do I know? 🤷‍♂️

I've been on antidepressants for most of my life since teenager and honestly don't think any of them have ever "worked"

The last one (Venlafaxine) numbed my whole brain even in cases when I should have been really sad but never really had joy either.

In fact I'm sure it's one of the reasons I lost the love of my life cause I just had no joy.

On Fluoxatine ATM and had to take off sick in work cause I'm so miserable and anxiety is atrocious so if this doesn't work I'm out of ideas. (Well I've one idea ➰ )

Peggies

Gold Member

But what do I know? 🤷‍♂️
I know what you mean and I agree that it's insane. It seems to me that people pop ADs just like Aspirin because they feel blue due to their mortgage and nagging wife and shitty job. That's legitimate but won't work for very long.

But that's the difference between being depressed and having depressions.

The latter one is more like feeling numb, desperate, hopeless, scared, agitated, low, sad... - all at the same time without any reason. I'm not saying that coping strategies like doing sports is bad, I just think it's not enough in some cases.

Sertraline and mirtazapine.

It makes me not feel bad, but not good either.
I also feel like my brain is having a hard time remembering recent events.

Better than nothing tho. Need my adhd sorted out too.
Took Mirta for a few years, it was good for me but made me put on a lot of weight. Now I only take Paroxetin and a very small dose.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member

family guy help GIF

I was diagnosed with clinical depression amongst other diagnoses in my late teens, along with a few regrettable suicide attempts over the years. I've tried many different antidepressants and therapies for over a decade and ultimately didn't get on with them. I appreciate antidepressants work for some like yourself, but not everyone unfortunately.

Eating clean most of the time and partaking in various exercise activities really has been the only thing that has helped me personally over any treatment. I'm glad that you can get relief via medication I genuinely mean that.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Just out of curiosity do any of you take vitamin D3? I take 4000ui on a daily basis and that really helps with my mood and energy. Now spring is here in the UK I'll taper off until the autumn.

Esca

Been trying stuff for over 5 years with no luck. Most didn't have any effect at all and the rest made things worse. Don't remember what I'm on now but another that hasn't done anything. Going to give something else a try next week with my appt. I don't care, want to be dead anyway

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It seems to me that people pop ADs just like Aspirin because they feel blue due to their mortgage and nagging wife and shitty job. That's legitimate but won't work for very long.

Are you American? I only ask because it seems to me like ADs are over prescribed in the states because of the profit they generate. I've never got the impression that doctors in the UK or Australia push ADs on patients, or that people take them as freely as you're describing.

I've been taking Effexor for a little over two weeks. I'm really curious how I'm going to feel in another few weeks on this medication.

Aggelos

Vortioxetine 10mg. I think it's doing something and it helps.

Just a side note: in the 21st century, prescription of anti-depressant has gone up by more than 300%, but depression stats are not going down. They're going up as well...

Last edited:

Peggies

Gold Member
Are you American? I only ask because it seems to me like ADs are over prescribed in the states because of the profit they generate. I've never got the impression that doctors in the UK or Australia push ADs on patients, or that people take them as freely as you're describing.
No, I'm European and I share your impression but I was referring to the situation German Hops German Hops was describing and he's American.
We don't have ads for ADs let alone AD enhancers.

Just didn't want to be like
Animated GIF

Peggies

Gold Member
I was diagnosed with clinical depression amongst other diagnoses in my late teens, along with a few regrettable suicide attempts over the years. I've tried many different antidepressants and therapies for over a decade and ultimately didn't get on with them. I appreciate antidepressants work for some like yourself, but not everyone unfortunately.

Eating clean most of the time and partaking in various exercise activities really has been the only thing that has helped me personally over any treatment. I'm glad that you can get relief via medication I genuinely mean that.
I think a combination is the best thing but in order to even care enough and wanting to change something I need that little extra help.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Haven't doing that well the last 3 months or so. Talked and picked up some Citalopram today. I've used it a couple years ago. Works for some months. We'll see.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
This can't be emphasized enough. Depression is a shitty thing though and it tries to stop you from doing exactly that.

Perhaps if depression is the only thing that's holding you back.

Last edited:
Top Bottom