• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anti-work subreddit goes private after disastrous Fox News interview

Draugoth

Gold Member
The anti-work subreddit went private today following a lousy Fox News interview between anchor (and notorious tool) Jesse Watters and one of the subreddit's moderators, Doreen Ford. Watters and other Fox News hosts have argued that the subreddit is helping to fuel the Great Resignation, in which millions of workers nationwide have left their jobs.

The interview was not a great look for the burgeoning online movement.

As a post in r/OurofTheLoop explains:

They’re disheveled, wearing a random hoodie, sitting in the dark of an untidy room without any lighting. It’s like they’re going to an interview before thousands of people and haven’t given a second to actually thinking about their presentation. They look exactly the part Fox wants to paint them- a lazy, unmotivated person looking for a handout.

The interview starts okay, they repeat some talking points, and get a bit of the message across. Then the Fox interviewer completely turns it around and picks them apart- showcasing them as a 30+ year old dogwalker, who works about 25hrs a week and has minimal aspirations besides maybe teaching philosophy. The Mod completely goes along with these questions, the whole interview becomes about them rather than the movement and by the end the Fox interviewer is visibly laughing.

So this goes live and does the rounds. People on Reddit and everywhere else are laughing at this since it makes the entire movement appear to be a joke, this is their leader, etc.

People on Antiwork are indignant- how did this person get chosen to represent the movement? Why were they chosen? Why did they interview with Fox? Etc etc

The classic Reddit crackdown begins, Antiwork begins removing threads and comments on the topic and banning users who talk about it. That subsides after a while and threads are allowed- because of this whole thing the threads are taking up a large portion of the front page and the discussion. Almost certainly the Mod in question is being hounded in PMs and the team is being hounded in Modmail.

And eventually the classic Reddit crackdown reaches its classic zenith, “Locked because y’all can’t behave.” so the whole sub got locked.

Most likely the mods are waiting for the furror to die down and the people coming into the sub from the interview to go away.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
“ . They look exactly the part Fox wants to paint them- a lazy, unmotivated person looking for a handout. “

Sorry to break it to ya…. That’s not fox. That’s who they are. I mean they did exactly those things. No one dressed them down.

Last edited:

Bombolone

Gold Member
To paraphrase myself from a previous thread.

- Eventually those ideals & dreams need to confront reality.

Zero self awareness. Picture perfect.
Whelp...
Screen_Shot_2019-09-05_at_4.08.58_PM.jpg

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Jesus, that guy just destroyed an entire community due to a complete lack of self awareness. LOL

He probably didnt much good for the hip genders movement either, or people called Doreen.

Kinda depressing that people like this are behind those loud, angry, woke,Twitter accounts and corporations actually take them seriously. Hopefully this opens some eyes.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
The anti-work subreddit went private today following a lousy Fox News interview between anchor (and notorious tool) Jesse Watters and one of the subreddit's moderators, Doreen Ford. Watters and other Fox News hosts have argued that the subreddit is helping to fuel the Great Resignation, in which millions of workers nationwide have left their jobs.

The interview was not a great look for the burgeoning online movement.

Ladies and gentlemen, I introduce to you your average twitter reeeer. What a waste of oxygen.

Pejo

I mean I feel bad for the kid, but its great to see people mocking reddit and our current clown world.
I mean they're 30.

To me, this is where a human ends up when every bad decision they make is supported, cheered for, and called "valid". People need to be told no once in a while, they need to be told that their ideas are stupid and their choices were bad.

Just 5 years ago somebody in this person's life would have picked on them, maybe hurt their feelings a bit, but then they would have gained some self awareness. Now, that's all but illegal and so this is what you get.

captainpat

Well that was stupid. I feel like it reflects poorly on the mods than it does that community tho. They shouldn't have taken the interview in the first place.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
A 30 year old works 20-25 hours per week as a dog walker and even that is too many hours as he/she wants to work less hours. At first, I thought based on the image it as some 20 year old college drop out having issues with career path. But 30!

And this weirdo says he/she wants to teach philiosophy. That requires getting a degree and then working school hours, including more time marking papers and prep work.

Well, that's the lazy modern age of people. And these are the kinds of people no doubt wanting universal income payouts. Doreen gets that and even the dogwalking job will be dropped.

You're not going to see people immigrating to countries after WWII being this lazy.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
“ . They look exactly the part Fox wants to paint them- a lazy, unmotivated person looking for a handout. “

Sorry to break it to ya…. That’s not fox. That’s who they are. I mean they did exactly those things. No one dressed them.
Yup.

One part entitled, one part zero professionalism. It goes beyond anti-work people who purposely want to do nothing meaningful in life. It also extends to people who want to work a normal job doing better than anti-workers but want zero effort into acting or looking the part.

It's like the guy working in a business casual office and tests the boundaries coming to work in the summer wearing shorts and sandals, or during the work week comes to work with no socks. Notice how these people never get promoted to high end jobs. And they wonder why.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As someone working in corporate I sure wouldn't mind working less hours. Never understood america's obsession with working. Some people need to realize there is life outside the office.
Most of corporate have PT office roles or will hire contract workers they dont need 40 hours from every week. The jobs are there.

The key difference is if you or anyone wants to work these reduced hour jobs for half the pay.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
"It's too hard, so I'm not going to try generation." Then they create this alternate history when we were all given cheap houses and lots of money easily, all we had to do is just sign up and it was easy street.
Homes were cheap long time ago, but mortgages were like 10-20%. Only starting in the mid 2000s did mortgages drop to 6% or less. And this graph below is outdated as it's from a 2015 article. The rates are even lower than 3.84%. I'm going to be renewing my mortgage soon at about 1.5% variable.

So for any asshole thinking it was easy street 40 years ago, have fun getting a $150,000 mortgage for that nice "cheap" family home and paying 14%. Without seeing what thats like on an online mortgage calculator, probably 90% of the every payment went straight to interest. Anything over 10% is crazy. I dont think the average parents made a dent into their mortgage for a 10-15 year span. That's why despite mom and dad's homes being cheap it took them forever to pay it off.

My first mortgage 20 years ago was a variable rate and I was paying about 5% and even that was high in my books based on what I know. Sounds incredible my parents bought their family home way back for similar value but at around 3x the mortgage rate.

And in Canada, you cant write off mortgage interest as an income tax deduction for primary residence (unless you work from home and do some math on it). But normally, you eat the cost.

chart2.jpg

Last edited:
Working long hours sucks. Knowing nothing about that particular subreddit, I say good for him.

If he wants to teach philosophy, he can set up a Patreon or something. I've had some shitty professors in college that I paid a lot for. You can learn far more on your own.

Dr_Salt

Most of corporate have PT office roles or will hire contract workers they dont need 40 hours from every week. The jobs are there.

The key difference is if you or anyone wants to work these reduced hour jobs for half the pay.
So I should just be ok with the bullshit excuse of "going the extra mile" just because I earn a barely decent wage. You see this is exactly the problem here and then people wonder why other people are fed up with the modern working environment.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So I should just be ok with the bullshit excuse of "going the extra mile" just because I earn a barely decent wage. You see this is exactly the problem here and then people wonder why other people are fed up with the modern working environment.
If you dont like the job or pay, then get a better job or better skils. It's not like every job in the world is slave labour. Which is exactly what woke and anti-work people try to portray.

Every company will pay good money if you got the skills.

Are you good with numbers? Can you handle databases of data in Excel or Access?

I work 7 hours per day (8 but less 1 hour for lunch). I'm no doctor or lawyer, but make about $150,000 each year and all I do is financial analysis, answer emails and do spreadsheets. And once a year I have to do a Powerpoint presentation because sometimes you got to be visual with colours and fancy slides (and my slides look like shit). And every once in a while in crunch I got to work nights or a weekend to finish some stuff to get that out of the way for Monday.

I'm not even a chartered accountant either. A junior analyst in my finance department makes about $70,000 and an SFA (senior finance analyst) makes about $100k. Same hours.

Not hard to make decent money if you can analyze a spreadsheet for corporations.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
So I should just be ok with the bullshit excuse of "going the extra mile" just because I earn a barely decent wage.

It's more a case of learning when and what's worth "Going the extra mile", if you're at the bottom in a shitty paid job with the carrot being dangled of a better working condition. Probably not. The "Extra mile" is applying for other jobs and improving your skills outside of work. Sometimes the "Extra mile" is for yourself taking a job with a long commute even though the moneys not great as it's on the way to where you want to be.

Dr_Salt

If you dont like the job or pay, then get a better job or better skils. It's not like every job in the world is slave labour. Which is exactly what woke and anti-work people try to portray.

Every company will pay good money if you got the skills.

Are you good with numbers? Can you handle databases of data in Excel or Access?

I work 7 hours per day (8 but less 1 hour for lunch). I'm no doctor or lawyer, but make about $150,000 each year and all I do is financial analysis, answer emails and do spreadsheets. And once a year I have to do a Powerpoint presentation because sometimes you got to be visual with colours and fancy slides (and my slides look like shit). And every once in a while in crunch I got to work nights or a weekend to finish some stuff to get that out of the way for Monday.

I'm not even a chartered accountant either. A junior analyst in my finance department makes about $70,000 and an SFA (senior finance analyst) makes about $100k. Same hours.

Not hard to make decent money if you can analyze a spreadsheet for corporations.
I'm a FP&A senior team lead in a fortune500 company so I pretty much deal with numbers and databases everyday. I also have to work upwards of 10-12 hours several times a month. I can't see myself doing this for the rest of my life and I will never understand people who are ok living this kind of life.

Tschumi

Well, looks like we uncovered the single subreddit full of total idiots.. i had heard of these unicorns, thank heavens there are smart people out there like qanon

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm a FP&A senior team lead in a fortune500 company so I pretty much deal with numbers and databases everyday. I also have to work upwards of 10-12 hours several times a month. I can't see myself doing this for the rest of my life and I will never understand people who are ok living this kind of life.
There you go.

Looks like we have similar jobs. Maybe similar pay too. And we both work for big companies.

I work 10-12 hours a couple times per month too. Big deal. And then the rest of the days are normal.

You're telling me despite the good job you have, you cant handle an extra few days per month you have to work OT? Wow.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I thought it was a plant by Fox because it was so ridiculous.

I keep dialing back my hours because I have luxury at this point in my life. I feel for those who can't, truly ಠ_ಠ

And this weirdo says he/she wants to teach philiosophy. That requires getting a degree and then working school hours, including more time marking papers and prep work.
Yea, I loled at this part. To teach philosophy, he would need at least 8 years of college to finally get his PhD. Despite what many uninformed people say, college is not easy and requires a lot of work and discipline. There are great expectations from you in academia if you possess a PhD. Many professors teach on top of conducting research and publishing thier work. The amount of writing required for philosophy would make me sick.

Last edited:
Top Bottom