• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any apolitical or actual inclusive discord communities?

I came across this old thread about non-woke podcasts, and I would like to continue the discussion since the thread is quite old and things can change. I would also like some recs for discord communities.

What I'm looking for are communities that won't ban/dogpile someone for not spouting out whatever the current NPC talking points are. In my opinion, the Sacred Symbols discord server is a great example of that. People of all different views can mention their opinions and won't get banned or ostracized by other/the majority of users. Gaf is also a great example of that type of community but in forum form.

Any other communities anyone knows of that are similar to that?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I came across this old thread about non-woke podcasts, and I would like to continue the discussion since the thread is quite old and things can change. I would also like some recs for discord communities.

What I'm looking for are communities that won't ban/dogpile someone for not spouting out whatever the current NPC talking points are. In my opinion, the Sacred Symbols discord server is a great example of that. People of all different views can mention their opinions and won't get banned or ostracized by other/the majority of users. Gaf is also a great example of that type of community but in forum form.

Any other communities anyone knows of that are similar to that?
neogaf has a discord server.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
i mean honestly unless you're going there to actually talk politically i don't see why you explicitly need 'non woke' discord servers. Just avoid the servers for games like fortnite as those are filled with dumb teens and kids and you'll be good.

most people on discord who even hold those 'npc talking points' or opinions won't even bring them up unless you explicility go in talking about them, they're not activists. Judging by how you specified apolitical that's very unlikely.

Personally one of my favorite servers is the FBI server, which doesn't stand for Federal Bureau of Intelligence.... just French Baugette Intelligence. It's not explicitly apolitical but there's a lot of people around the compass. The main thing about it is that it's very multicultural, you're gonna encounter loads of people from europe, the west, asia, etc, hence no specific gravitation towards one position. It has a bunch of different cultures in there. It's also heavily debate focused since the YT channel it's based on is also heavily debate focused, but you can ignore that easily if you want to and just chat. If you're looking for actual intelligent discussion on Discord it's pretty much the only place that you should look for

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
What discord channels did you use that were woke? Are you using general gaming channels or game specific ones? The game specific channels I frequent aren’t political at all.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
What discord channels did you use that were woke? Are you using general gaming channels or game specific ones? The game specific channels I frequent aren’t political at all.

I have run into so many communities that were filled with slacktivists and actively made it well known. Mention a game you were excited for? You would be told how awful and bigotted it is, or how sexist it is. Mention how you like a particular author or director? Well fuck you, they are terrible and you should hate them now.

RoosterTeeth, Easy Allies, TheCompletionist, NitroRad - so many communities full of this shit. All based around video games.

It's not necessary about not being political. Lots of communities aren't "political" but once you step out of line and say something against the narrative or point out things that would fall under the leftist meme of "just asking questions" you get the whole bigot, sexist, racist etc. etc. treatment. Essentially what Claus Grimhildyr said above.

One hilarious example is I recently joined a discord server (and promptly left) and looked at their rules. One of their rules was "no politics allowed". Ok, cool that sounds great! I kid you not, the very next rule was all about how they were inclusive and how everyone needs to accept and have an undying devotion to the LGB and trans crowd. Oh, so you actually are a political discord server with political rules. Got it.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
RoosterTeeth, Easy Allies, TheCompletionist, NitroRad - so many communities full of this shit. All based around video games.
hmm. Never been in any of their servers. Ive been in a few youtuber servers myself but it was actually the opposite where everyone liked to be super toxic and there was in general a bunch of really questionable conspiracy theory type of shit they would be saying.

YMMV, that's the way Discord can be ig. I like to keep it safe and talk in DMs these days
One hilarious example is I recently joined a discord server (and promptly left) and looked at their rules. One of their rules was "no politics allowed". Ok, cool that sounds great! I kid you not, the very next rule was all about how they were inclusive and how everyone needs to accept and have an undying devotion to the LGB and trans crowd. Oh, so you actually are a political discord server with political rules. Got it.
Are you sure you were entering these servers to not be political? Being nice to LGBT people isn't a poltical stance you take as much as it is just talking to them as if they were another human being.

If you ever do get into a conversation that is political you could always just shut it down by saying "i'm not going to get into that rn", most people would understand

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
hmm. Never been in any of their servers. Ive been in a few youtuber servers myself but it was actually the opposite where everyone liked to be super toxic and there was in general a bunch of really questionable conspiracy theory type of shit they would be saying.

YMMV, that's the way Discord can be ig. I like to keep it safe and talk in DMs these days

Definitely understandable, but sadly things can take a turn randomly if a handful of bitter and angry individuals get the chance to wield power.

Are you sure you were entering these servers to not be political? Being nice to LGBT people isn't a poltical stance you take as much as it is just talking to them as if they were another human being.

If you ever do get into a conversation that is political you could always just shut it down by saying "i'm not going to get into that rn", most people would understand

Just to give an insight on your statement here, one discord I was in there was an individual that mentioned they wanted to see a Tomb Raider game where you play as a pregnant Laura Croft and have super gory, visceral and detailed scenes where you die and see the baby die. I stated something along the lines of "Why? That is incredibly disturbing" and stating how fucked up that idea was. The person who suggested that idea was Trans and for disagreeing with them meant I was "targeting trans community members".

I didn't go into the discord to be political and I never mentioned anything negative about LGBT members. But simply disagreeing with an LGBT person caused other members to put a target on my back and label me as a bigot. These kinds of people don't care and only want to be hateful, awful individuals. Even if you try to "back out", that won't change how they will treat you. These kinds of people seek out drama.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Just to give an insight on your statement here, one discord I was in there was an individual that mentioned they wanted to see a Tomb Raider game where you play as a pregnant Laura Croft and have super gory, visceral and detailed scenes where you die and see the baby die. I stated something along the lines of "Why? That is incredibly disturbing" and stating how fucked up that idea was. The person who suggested that idea was Trans and for disagreeing with them meant I was "targeting trans community members".
ok yeah i have nothing else to say to that. I don't kink shame but that's just.... why????

I actually am in quite a few LGBT-friendly servers but I've never been in a scenario where someone who's part of the LGBT can just say something like that and have people who disagree get banned. I'm sorry that you had to be in a terrible server like that but i swear that's not a reflection on the entire community as much as it is just a really retarded minority.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
ok yeah i have nothing else to say to that. I don't kink shame but that's just.... why????

I actually am in quite a few LGBT-friendly servers but I've never been in a scenario where someone who's part of the LGBT can just say something like that and have people who disagree get banned. I'm sorry that you had to be in a terrible server like that but i swear that's not a reflection on the entire community as much as it is just a really retarded minority.

Oh, I know it isn't the norm for LGBT folks, just mentally ill individuals within the community. However, it seems to be the norm in any server I have found that is very openly pro-LGBT. Probably where 48086 is coming from as well.

It has come to the point where any discord that openly states it is "inclusive" or "pro-LGBT", I avoid as they always end up the same way. Not that I am at all against being those things, but it feels more like virtue signaling. If you are inclusive/lgbt friendly, you don't need to state it. You show it with your actions and moderation.

Being friendly is obviously no problem at all. What's not friendly is to jump down someone else's throat if they say they don't think, for example, LGBT characters should be put in games simply to get diversity points. That opinion isn't allowed in a lot of communities. It sounds like you're confusing "not being political" and "not agreeing with someone".

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It sounds like you're confusing "not being political" and "not agreeing with someone".
I never was, but from the way you worded that it sounded explicitly like you thought LGBT people in there was inherently political to begin with and thus goes against the whole 'apolitical' thing you were looking for

manfestival

This is actually my favorite line well... a variation of this but it only "works" like half of the time. Since usually the person on the other side is ultra aggressive or has strong opinions. The bright side of this, is it easily turns them into the antagonist since they usually have to resort to pettiness in hopes of goading you into the conversation.

Top Bottom