• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any chance online Playstation will become free again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSfox

Hi everyone?

I was wondering if there is a chance Online play will become free again on Playstation hardware without having to sub to PS+? Honestly i feel like Sony are doing everything on their power to make me switch to PC, with porting PS exclusive to PC and it's gonna inevitably become a norme with all PS 1st party day one to PC, not having to pay sub in PC to play online games. And personally i love console gaming more than anything but PC is just becoming too avantageous and getting more extra point every day, thoughs on this?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Overall console consumer base seems to have accepted the need to having to pay twice for their internet so nah, I don't see it happening.

Last edited:

ManaByte

April Fools GIF by Sony Pictures Animation

GymWolf

Jimbo didn't start charging for online gaming. That was the previous CEO that everyone likes so much...
I was just pointing out that he is probably not the type of guy who is gonna stop asking money for internet playing, doesn't matter if he started or not.

A raise in price is more probable if his price politics for physical games is anything to go by.

Last edited:

SSfox

Increase price of games, porting exclusives to PC, No full BC , Paid Online...

It's almost like Hermen Hulst and Jim Ryan are Valve secret agents that want you to switch to PC.

[Sigma]

I was just pointing out that he is probably not the type of guy who is gonna stop asking money for internet playing, doesn't matter if he started or not.

A raise in price is more probable if his price politics for physical games is anything to go by.
Agreed. Jim is the last one who would give up such a thing as the last 2 years have shown.

nush

Gold Member
Microsoft started this paid online, if they dropped it the others would soon fall in line and it would be something that would hit their competitors bottom line. There's other online paid services they have that can soften the blow to them.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
not as long as people pay for it.

since people are paying for it then it must mean they are happy to. sony will chase the money. you can bet your ass if enough people refused to pay then they would backtrack. it's far too late now... everyone should've stood up against it when it first came out.

if you don't like paying for online then you can build a PC.

Microsoft started this paid online, if they dropped it the others would soon fall in line and it would be something that would hit their competitors bottom line. There's other online paid services they have that can soften the blow to them.
maybe once gamepass gets even bigger i wouldn't be surprised if MS scraps xbox live completely.

sony is playing catch up to gamepass. if MS dropped sub requirement to play online for all games then Sony would be forced to match them.

Last edited:

ckaneo

Bullshit lol

Sony isnt giving up the revenue

Topher

Gold Member
maybe once gamepass gets even bigger i wouldn't be surprised if MS scraps xbox live completely.

sony is playing catch up to gamepass. if MS dropped sub requirement to play online for all games then Sony would be forced to match them.

Perhaps, but a major reason for Game Pass Ultimate's existence is the inclusion of online. Without it, GPU subs are going to drop heavily, imo. So either way that would be a massive chunk of revenue being cut. Don't see that happening.

Bullshit lol

Sony isnt giving up the revenue

Yeah....neither of them are.

Keihart

You can't even play Souls games online without paying anymore, pretty shit.
No way they are going back, if anything price might go up with some excuse like inflation or that Jim Ryan can't pay his mortage with this prices or something.

Keihart

Increase price of games, porting exclusives to PC, No full BC , Paid Online...

It's almost like Hermen Hulst and Jim Ryan are Valve secret agents that want you to switch to PC.
This is true for myself, i prefer playing on consoles and my legacy library on PS dwarfs my Steam one but yet, they keep pushing me away from the ecosystem.
So be it, i haven't played a third party game on PS in what feels like ages.

SSfox

You can't even play Souls games online without paying anymore, pretty shit.
No way they are going back, if anything price might go up with some excuse like inflation or that Jim Ryan can't pay his mortage with this prices or something.
It's crazy isn't it? Having to pay to play online is really BS tbh, they should at least make a sub service for online play without the free games for like 10 or 15$ per year or something.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
If the long term goal is to encourage people to subscribe to some cloud streaming service, then no.

The industry is heading towards the subscription-only model, because corporations want it that way.

Last edited:

Keihart

It's crazy isn't it? Having to pay to play online is really BS tbh, they should at least make a sub service for online play without the free games for like 10 or 15$ per year or something.
just basic stuff for free would go a long way.
At least the F2P games are still available without PS+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom