• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any good movies/shows about oppression?

nkarafo

Dunno why but i really like watching movies/shows about people oppressing other people.

Movies like Schindler's List, The Pianist, Come and See, The Gray Zone and other WW2 movies that show how nazis oppressed people. Movies like 12 years a Slave and Django Unchained that shows slavery in every detail. And shows like The Handmaid's Tale that shows how a religious system oppresses their citizens, especially women. Stuff like that. Doesn't have to be about real events, it can be fiction like the Handmade's Tale.

So i'm looking for more similar stuff. Anything you can recommend?

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
p479100_b_h10_ao.jpg

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
haven't seen it but there is a Brave New World tv show. also if you haven't already seen it then the 1984 movie with John Hurt.

BigBooper

I've recently been watching the 80s TV MiniSeries War and Remembrance which actually does an amazing job depicting some of the circumstances Jews endured in various ghettos and living in occupied land, as well as the other aspects of the war. I highly recommend it.

There was a shorter series before this called Winds of War, and it sets up some of the characters that carry over into War and Remembrance, but is generally not as good and is too focused on one family's drama. I don't feel you have to watch that one, but it's fairly short if you want to do it too.

There's tons of movies about overcoming oppression on a more personal scale too. Spartacus, and Braveheart being great examples, not to mention even sci-fi universes like Total Recall and The Matrix.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
On the more escapist side, the Wachowskis often explore themes of freedom and escape in their works, and this often means characters are oppressed in many different ways. In The Matrix people are oppressed by a great sinister force, in The Matrix Resurrections people oppress themselves. In Cloud Atlas characters are oppressed by a sci-fi future government, a nursing home, and a cruel ship captain, among others. They also wrote the screenplay for V for Vendetta, depicting a totalitarian government. Speaking of which, Nineteen Eighty-Four depicts another oppressive government. You've probably read the original novel, but the movie did a great job adapting it.

The Free State of Jones adapts the true story of a man who led his county to fight back against the Confederates during the civil war, and focuses on the oppression of the Confederacy on blacks as well as their targeting of the poor.

In the German Netflix series Dark, everyone in Winden is oppressed by a cruel multi-generational cycle. You shouldn't know much else before you start watching.

American Beauty follows characters oppressed by American suburbia.

In Jonathan Livingston Seagull, a number of seagulls are oppressed by their seagull society, including our hero, Jonathan Livingston Seagull, who's banished from the flock near the start of the movie.

pramod

Banned
Equilibrium
Hunger Games series
Brazil
Logans Run
Total Recall
The Running Man

Does being oppressed by machines/AI count? If so

Matrix
Terminator

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Dunno why but i really like watching movies/shows about people oppressing other people.

Movies like Schindler's List, The Pianist, Come and See, The Gray Zone and other WW2 movies that show how nazis oppressed people. Movies like 12 years a Slave and Django Unchained that shows slavery in every detail. And shows like The Handmaid's Tale that shows how a religious system oppresses their citizens, especially women. Stuff like that. Doesn't have to be about real events, it can be fiction like the Handmade's Tale.

So i'm looking for more similar stuff. Anything you can recommend?

Any reason why you get hard over humans oppressing other humans?

Anyway, I recommend this one. It's a Polish film. Some of the scenes are a little surreal, but it's a great film that'll scratch that oppression itch.

BCIQwm0.jpg

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Jordan Peele's movies Get Out and Us depicts some people who've each lived under a very extreme sort of oppression.

A number of Andrew Niccol movies deal with near-future oppression, in sci-fi worlds that generally revolve around one single, yet massive change to society. In Gattaca, genetics can be modified before birth, and those with genetics deemed inferior are discriminated against. In his movie In Time, the poor bear shorter clocks measuring the time they have left to live, while the rich can live forever. In Anon, everyone is equipped with a brain chip recording their lives, making privacy nonexistent. His movies aren't always hits, but I always find them fascinating.

The movie 300 Miles to Heaven is based on the real story of two boys who escaped from communist Poland, as the government attempts to stop them.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Prince of Egypt comes to mind. Beautiful hand-drawn animation. It follows the Hebrews on their way out from the under the Pharoah's rule.

And (since you're interested in oppression) your mom oppressed her booty on my face last night lol

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'm almost done with the show Brave New World and it's terrible. I recommend that if you want to see lot of sex 😜
i was interested in watching the show but i have heard it's not that great. i read the book a while back and wasn't impressed with it so hoped the show would be good. oh well :D

Last edited:
i was interested in watching the show but i have heard it's not that great. i read the book a while back and wasn't impressed with it so hoped the show would be good. oh well :D
I finished the show and it's terrible. The only positive thing about the show is the sex scenes. There's actually female nudity. Which is rare to find these days especially attractive females due to the feminazis ruining everything

Top Bottom