• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any interest in a NeoGAF editorial site?

Would you be interested in reading a NeoGAF editorial site?

• Hell yes

Votes: 207 41.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 153 30.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 82 16.6%
  • No

Votes: 53 10.7%

• Total voters

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
You've already failed.

Shit.
Frustrated Jason Segel GIF by NETFLIX

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I think if there are reviews a rating system should be established first, perhaps a scoring or worded scale. It needs to either embrace the full spectrum of the scoring range (0-10) or become a ranged wording system (like Day 1 buy, buy on sale, play in subscription, don't bother) so that we don't end up using the upper end of the scores where the best games don't stand out.

Ar¢tos

I’d be interested as long as it remained 100% independent. No paid trips for previews or free review copies of games etc.
If Bamco didn't spend so much money traveling and entertaining "media influencers" and reviewers, their games could have much bigger budgets.

Vick

As long as it's a way for GAF to interact directly with devs and be a respectable voice, like it used to, I'm all for it.
Would love to see it.

What about neoGAF review? Some sort of checking if the user really have the game before he review, staff check if the user review don't have troll behavior and can have recommended by the site.
At times I actually wish this was required all the time here given the tiresome amount of bad faith threads/trolling/fake concern.

Neolombax

To be honest, the main reason i frequent here is because i can read a lot of different opinions, whether they are biased or not. Thats the fun of it, for me at least. Not sure how articles and interviews could make neogaf stand out compared to other outlets, you could give it a go and I would read them, but I'm more interested for a podcast format. Something to listen to related to gaming/movies/tv while I drive would be amazing.

Agent X

I would be interested in seeing some well-written editorial content. I agree with some of the concerns that others have brought up, though.

I wouldn't want the site to lean too heavily into editorial material, to the point where it overshadows the community itself. There are other sites that specialize in that stuff. I've actually gone to those sites less often in recent years, because it's hard to wade through all of the fluff to find the occasional article of interest.

Whatever NeoGAF does here needs to stand out from other sites, as bitbydeath bitbydeath pondered above. For example, assemble a small, dedicated team that could do an occasional podcast (maybe once every week or two). They could summarize some of the most active threads here as a "news roundup". This type of podcast should be fairly brief, ranging from 10 to 30 minutes. The podcast notes should also include links to the threads, to encourage listeners to participate.

I'd also like to see interviews and Q&A sessions with industry personalities. Again, this is where the forum and podcast could feed into each other. Announce the interview in advance, and ask forum users to contribute some questions. The interview could then be presented as both a forum post and in audio form.

Bartski

Gold Member
There is no point doing that with news as 99% of those are copy-pastes from press releases and that's perfectly fine as what matters is the discussion down the thread.

Even less so with opinion pieces type editorials, god forbid reviews. Having such an output recognized as the "official word of gaf" contradicts the core value of a discussion forum imo, and Neogaf in particular - where there never is a consensus and all positions get disputed, equally praised and shat on. We all write game reviews here, some just very short. And it's just one big melting pot, that's the one thing that shouldn't change.

So a hard no from me for news and reviews and alike.
week wife GIF

another thing
These days, though, most people post on GAF from mobile and there isn't as much room for slower-paced longer format reading.

that's very true, a forum format thrives on short-form commentary and hot takes. Let's face it, while I do respect the effort some members are putting in long ass wall of text test essays here I think there is a tiny percentage of users who actually read it.

but then
conducting interviews and posting features, highlighting underrepresented indie games, technical breakdowns from devs, and whatever else seems worthwhile. Could maybe start up a podcast, time permitting, at least for long format interviews when opportunities arise to do those.

This could work. But makes sense with dev interviews and features of real exclusive value to the forum. Even better as an audio podcast. So if there is capacity and manpower for that, manpower with the right access, could be worth a shot as part of a new reworked home page perhaps? Together with other ways supporting Neogaf as a discussion forum at its core, which should always be the bottom line. Maybe a different set of ways to highlight trending threads?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I guess I'm not sure what it is or what it would look like, but sounds like its worth a try? I do agree that mobile being dominant has decreased more long form posting and led to an epidemic in spelling errors in thread titles.

Pallas

Gold Member
Absolutely, but it needs to be politics free, while I realize that might be impossible, I think we could be a site that could host informative, interesting, down to the facts type of reviews. It’s just so tiring to see or old judge great games harshly because they don’t agree with something that isn’t about the game.

I would be extremely interested in an editorial site that looked at the gaming more from a professional/business perspective rather than just putting out news articles. News articles would obviously welcome and read but something a little more in-depth would be great too.

Bartski

Gold Member
For example, assemble a small, dedicated team that could do an occasional podcast (maybe once every week or two). They could summarize some of the most active threads here as a "news roundup". This type of podcast should be fairly brief, ranging from 10 to 30 minutes. The podcast notes should also include links to the threads, to encourage listeners to participate.
This. A small and dedicated team not taking themselves too seriously and this could be great fun

Vick

Sometimes we already have these in the forums, hence I feel its redundant but I'm happy to give it a go.
What bothers a bit me is how this place no longer houses industry people who used to interact with users all the time here, I think an idea like this could potentially make a change in this regard.

Sure we could then try to amp up the amount of quality discussions, which is admittedly sort of lacking compared to the Asylum when it comes to actual games.

simpatico

For my tastes gaming media is way too serious these days. I come to games to escape the real world, and these busters pull the real world into video games. I think the best era that mixes pure, youthful fun with sharp writing was peak Game Informer. Talking PS2,XB,GC era. They managed to keep a lighthearted tone while still doing interesting and information filled articles.

Just my 2 cents.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I think that's a great idea and honestly, the less frequent the better. It'd be cool to see the occasional editorial, interview, etc. Keep the production rate reasonable so it doesn't feel like work and stays fun/interesting.

simpatico

What bothers a bit me is how this place no longer houses industry people who used to interact with users all the time here, I think an idea like this could potentially make a change in this regard.

Sure we could then try to amp up the amount of quality discussions, which is admittedly sort of lacking compared to the Asylum when it comes to actual games.
They're all held hostage at the other site because they think that's where they think big mindshare is. Current events surrounding the Potter game are the first time I've seen a rift between the casual left and the crazies. Hell even Reddit which for a time I thought wast the exact same as Reee. Anyone reading this probably has given up on posting on Reddit or mainstream comment sections because they assume they'd be banned. Cracks are showing and I'd urge everyone to throw a bit of gas on that fire. Free your captive industry people. I don't think they want to cater to the crazy audience, they think they have to. I think now is the best time to let your voices be heard. Don't make it obvious though, go post some subtle comments in all the places you assume your ideas are no longer welcome. I think you'd be surprised. I know I have been.

Agent X

Even less so with opinion pieces type editorials, god forbid reviews. Having such an output recognized as the "official word of gaf" contradicts the core value of a discussion forum imo, and Neogaf in particular - where there never is a consensus and all positions get disputed, equally praised and shat on. We all write game reviews here, some just very short. And it's just one big melting pot, that's the one thing that shouldn't change.

I agree with this.

I think some of the "official threads" here do an excellent job at presenting some pertinent information about a game (description, imagery, price, availability). The OT should serve as a launching point for further discussion. Users can contribute their own reviews (and should be encouraged to do so), or links to reviews from other sites. However, there shouldn't be an "official NeoGAF review" in that thread, as one or both of the following would occur:

• It would overshadow other users' opinions, and possibly discourage some people from contributing.
  • It would become the focal point of discussion, so that the thread becomes about "NeoGAF's review", rather than the game itself.

The OT should encourage discussion about the game. Surely, there will be disagreements between users, and some portion of the conversation might get steered in the direction of those disagreements. I just don't think it would be good to start an OT off that way, centered around a single opinion.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I'm not sure how the "highlighting underrepresented indie games" would go here....
A chunk of GAF acts like they have a broomstick up their ass and snivels and disdains at anything that doesn't have a AAA budget, they don't even consider them to be "proper" games (and miss out on some of the best gaming experiences with their attitude).

Honestly there is a direct overlap with the true blood console warriors and people with that opinion I have noticed.

Unless their game can be the best open world action game with photorealistic graphics that they can hold up on a pedestal for an example of why their console is better than the other console they dismiss it entirely.

I think theirs plenty of threads that highlight and continue to discuss hidden gems, even if they don't last as long (largely from warrior not bitching at each other).

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
Lately it seems as though we're lacking sane and reasonable voices in this industry who are not polemics or activists on either side of the fence but still have an interesting perspective worth hearing. I think there is intrinsic value in well-written essays and articles on a platform that is not at all interested in clickbait, outrage-bait, or shilling.

At a few points in our site's history we've had an editorial section where we occasionally posted thoughtful features, interviews, and podcasts. It received a good amount of attention the last time we had it around, many moons ago, but the forum became so enormous in comparison that it didn't make that much sense to focus on anymore. These days, though, most people post on GAF from mobile and there isn't as much room for slower-paced longer format reading. Maybe it's time to circle back around and create a dedicated space for that content to shine.

An editorial site would be a place for reflecting on current events, conducting interviews and posting features, highlighting underrepresented indie games, technical breakdowns from devs, and whatever else seems worthwhile. Could maybe start up a podcast, time permitting, at least for long format interviews when opportunities arise to do those. The focus of the site would be gaming, gaming industry, and gaming culture, but from the perspective of mature, level-headed adults (with humor allowed!). I'd be EIC and would write some of it myself as well as accepting high quality submissions from the community and other guests.

Any interest? Thoughts?
Anything can be great if done right, I think a weekly podcast that goes over that weeks news and events would be cool and maybe bring some forum members on.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
If there's a clear editorial vision. I mean there are a million amateur and semi-pro gaming sites out there, in order for one more to have meaning there would need to be some kind of statement of purpose.

My first career was as a game journalist, but I wouldn't want to do it as more than a hobby now. Running a hobbyist site can be challenging because people have other shit going on, but it's at least fun.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
If there's a clear editorial vision. I mean there are a million amateur and semi-pro gaming sites out there, in order for one more to have meaning there would need to be some kind of statement of purpose.

I worked in games journalism for years before (like most game journos) pivoting to more financially rewarding/stable work.

Let's be honest you don't enter the games industry to be financially rewarded or a stable job, I did 6 months and pivoted my ass right out of there.

But a statement of intent... I mean at this point just stating you would write a review based on a games merits and not link it directly to JK Rowling would be more than enough for most people...

I mean can you name a site that didn't?

The biggest thing I would like to avoid is ragebait, I'm so tired of it at this point, it's like the entire gaming press works off it now.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Hell yeah i'd love to write for the site
GBAtemp does a similar thing with their news section though it'd work better here since this site is more active and discusses more than just homebrew
plus despite what people think there are plenty of gaffers who would be great editorial writers, VGEsoterica VGEsoterica especially

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I think if there are reviews a rating system should be established first, perhaps a scoring or worded scale. It needs to either embrace the full spectrum of the scoring range (0-10) or become a ranged wording system (like Day 1 buy, buy on sale, play in subscription, don't bother) so that we don't end up using the upper end of the scores where the best games don't stand out.
Or we can use the Neogag tried and trusted DJ Khaled rating system.

"Another 1", "Congratulations, you've played yourself", "Suffering from success" and so on.

Yeah it could be cool as long as there is no politics and we just focus 100% on the games. Also, if unlike other sites it didn't take away from the users. I mean on here when there is big news anyone can post about it as long as they are quick enough. On some other places I visit (non gaming related) all the major news goes to the staff. I'd be worried it would dilute what we can post ourselves. I guess it could work but I'm not sure if others would like that kind of change. I mean say Sony announced the PS5 Slim tomorrow then anyone could go post a thread, get reactions/gold from it, and it'd no doubt be a popular thread for a while but on other sites if a user posted that it would get deleted and then the staff would post their own article.

What ever you do I trust you. This is the only place on the internet I feel comfortable talking about games. You know you're not gonna get shit thrown your way and we can all take a joke and a bit of fun between each other.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'd love to read something a bit more curated than the normal "just go read my past comments and assume my opinions are correct" stuff we get now. It gets a circlejerky in the serious topics in the forum. Maybe some structure would make the discussion a little less playground and a little more debate club.

Last edited:
I'd love to help out but my writing skills suck lol. All my brian power goes towards trying to form simple sentences. English is my first language but my writing is awful and my vocabulary sucks. The best I can offer is "Video game good. Please buy. Thumbs up". Also I have a thing where my mind goes so much faster than my fingers can Keep up with so i sometimes miss complete words out and type them wrong. You should have seen this post before I edited all the mistakes lol!

MagnesD3

it would be dope to see some Reviews from people who play alot of different games and know thier stuff in terms of good/bad regardless of thier preferences too if that's on the table.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Yep, wholly support it. Perhaps i could write a thing for it aswell. Love to see it.

cireza

I would be interested to read such content. I don't think I can contribute though, too many things to do and I already contribute to a video-game website.

Amiga

To differentiate this base it on what made GAF attractive in the 1st place. Opinions of the gaming community specifically about the core gaming experience.

So a game review would be like a report surveying GAF takes on aspects like gameplay/story/graphics/monetization/value. And the opinions cited would be the ones that got the most reactions.

Games would get the average score of verified players of a game with a minimum completion quota.

Another method is to create a GAF review platform where members post short Tweet like takes on each aspect of the game they are interested in. And like Twitter the most prominent takes would pushed up and readers can scroll down for more takes.

spons

Gold Member
I voted "Yes" for a user-based editorial site. I think a lot of outlets make the mistake by letting public figures write exclusive content, which always ends up in pandering bullshit because they have something to prove to their fanbase. If you manage to decouple this on a new website that would be great. The most important tip I can give you in this regard is to allow multiple reviews or opinion pieces on a single item. Let the community mingle, let the readers decide.

Top Bottom