• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any issues with Samsung G65B monitors?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I recently got a good deal on a Samsung G65B 27 inch. I purchased it directly from Samsung. I am aware that Samsung is known to have quality control issues. I had a G9 49 inch for about a week, but I returned it after so many issues. Mainly just being an unstable piece of garbage and causing my system to lock up/crash etc. Anyway, it's gone and goos fucking riddance.

But I was looking for a close to perfect monitor with high response times and good contrast. I am huge of VA panels for that reason, but they are known for having ghosting issues and that is something I cannot stand. So it seemed like I had to pick between good contrast and clear motion.

Enter the G7 and the rebadged G65 which is what I currently have. This monitor seemed to have it all: VA panel with TN like response times!

It was working fine for the most part. I do not like how bad HDR looks and I have to majorly tweak the desktop settings in the nvidia control panel to get HDR to look right and I have to readjust those settings for SDR. Very annoying. The SMART features are awful and I wish there was a way to disable it. It still had random issues when it wouldn't wake back up, but still it got me what I wanted and old high refresh games offered me a close to CRT experience for older games.

Until now. It now has an issue with artifacting, when I have GSynced enabled. This just started. I get random static like spots that are obvious in dark areas. They largely go away when I disable GSync. The only thing I haven't tried is a driver roll back. I was wondering if anyone had a similar issue.

This GSync issue is non-existant on my Gigabyte M27Q, so I would venture to guess it's the monitor.

I really don't like IPS panels due to their poor contrast, but if anyone has a 240 Hz, 1440p monitor to recommend with deep blacks, I am all ears. Samsung has fooled me once. Their monitors when they work seem to be outstanding, but right now it seems like shit.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I was using the Samsung Neo Odyssey G7 VA panel and really loved it and I didn't have any issues with it

Not sure your budget but the new LG 27" 1440p 240 hz OLED screen is really nice

Its main downside being the screen they used as its really dull and not particularly bright in a non light controlled room

old-parts

The problem with G-sync compatible is not uncommon, Nvidia's drivers do need optimization more often for VA panels. If the VA display is not on Nvidia's g-sync certified list then it can be more buggy and I wouldn't be surprised if the feature broke with a driver update.

Be sure to follow blurbusters optimal gsync settings guide, if it still happens then yeah its a driver issue, not much you can do about it.

If you prefer VA panels then I would recommend switching to AMD GPU's as most monitors makers will not pay the costs nvidia wants to get it certified and mid range VA panels are becoming less common so dont get pushed that much any more which means they will be often Freesync only, how well g-sync compatible works is down to the monitor makers QA department without nvidia certification.

If the monitor has the VRR control option in its settings you can try toggling that on/off to see if it changes, it's meant to stop issues with frame rates below the minimum VRR range.

The bugged HDR output is another common issue you see on multiple brands, just lazy no proper testing of windows pc HDR. rtings tested the 32" version of the g65b but they say the results are not valid for 27" model, still though you could try copying some of their settings in the review. Also a last throw of the dice is swap the colour space in nv resolution section from RGB to ycbcr444 and see how HDR looks now and if still good for SDR, if okay then they never properly tested RGB HDR signals.

The only VA panels that are black smearing free are Samsungs 240hz panels, there is talk over on pcmonitors info the AOC AGON AG275QXN shows promise but none of the proper review sites have looked at it yet. TFT Central recommend Asus ROG Strix XG32VC the only non-Samsung VA 1440p on their list.

I have a Gigabyte G27QC which is VA 1440p 165hz with Nvidia it works fine but has smearing.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The problem with G-sync compatible is not uncommon, Nvidia's drivers do need optimization more often for VA panels. If the VA display is not on Nvidia's g-sync certified list then it can be more buggy and I wouldn't be surprised if the feature broke with a driver update.

Be sure to follow blurbusters optimal gsync settings guide, if it still happens then yeah its a driver issue, not much you can do about it.

If you prefer VA panels then I would recommend switching to AMD GPU's as most monitors makers will not pay the costs nvidia wants to get it certified and mid range VA panels are becoming less common so dont get pushed that much any more which means they will be often Freesync only, how well g-sync compatible works is down to the monitor makers QA department without nvidia certification.

If the monitor has the VRR control option in its settings you can try toggling that on/off to see if it changes, it's meant to stop issues with frame rates below the minimum VRR range.

The bugged HDR output is another common issue you see on multiple brands, just lazy no proper testing of windows pc HDR. rtings tested the 32" version of the g65b but they say the results are not valid for 27" model, still though you could try copying some of their settings in the review. Also a last throw of the dice is swap the colour space in nv resolution section from RGB to ycbcr444 and see how HDR looks now and if still good for SDR, if okay then they never properly tested RGB HDR signals.

The only VA panels that are black smearing free are Samsungs 240hz panels, there is talk over on pcmonitors info the AOC AGON AG275QXN shows promise but none of the proper review sites have looked at it yet. TFT Central recommend Asus ROG Strix XG32VC the only non-Samsung VA 1440p on their list.

I have a Gigabyte G27QC which is VA 1440p 165hz with Nvidia it works fine but has smearing.
Thanks for this info. Great stuff here

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well, it seems to have gone away. Didn't do anything major. I basically unplugged the monitor. I even found the right setting such that I don't have to adjust for HDR and SDR such that I feel fine keeping my desktop in HDR mode.

Top Bottom