• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any tech pros on gaf? Specifically in regards to home theater/surround sound systems.

wvnative

Sorry for the laziness, but I tried reddit yesterday @/r/techsuport and it was buried in less than an hour. I'm just gonna copy/paste what i wrote on there because i am busy and i really wanna get to the bottom of this

UPDATE: Switched the ports on the back of the LG box, PS4 blu-rays display now, but the image has black distortion like an old film reel, and then I plugged my PS4 straight to the TV, and sure enough, that worked flawlessly. Looked great too.

I have an LG home theater surround sound system. Bunch of speakers and it serves as its own blu-ray player, and you plug your devices into the back of the blu-ray player, like a glorified hdmi switch we have two devices plugged in, PS4 and a Directtv box. Directtv box has always worked fine.
But man, the PS4 gets super hateful sometimes, it always shows a purple vertical line on the edge of the screen, and i have to switch the PS4 back to 480p, then back to 1080p again to get rid of it. Looking at it you'd think this was a TV issue but it only happens on PS4. This is only minor though...

Starting yesterday, my PS4 stopped displaying blu-ray discs, when booting a blu-ray, the TV displays NO SIGNAL. Opening the PS4 dashboard while the blu-ray is playing immediately returns the picture. It's only blu-ray's, DVDs, games and tv apps all work. it's only blu-ray's.
Some notes below
"Why not use the LG blu-ray player?" Because, I like all in one devices, I can do everything from the PS4, and I got my nice PS4 remote for that, pain to switch to the blu-ray player, just to watch a blu-ray. Even if i wasn't OCD and was willing to do that, i'd still wanna know wtf the issue is here. Plus I was just gonna test it as I typed this to see if it works, and the LG player's blu-ray disc tray refuses to open.

"Trash the home theater system" Oh believe me, if it were up to me, this piece of shit would go in the fire, but I don't pay the bills in this house, so until the people that do decide to replace it, I gotta try to make it work. This thing's given me grief since the day the people who pay the bills in this house bought it. It keeps getting worse.

"Have you tried switching HDMI ports and cables"? Well... that is on my radar, but the way my entertainment center is setup...massive pain. Wanna get other suggestions, might try it while I wait for responses, but have serious doubts that will work.
Oh and while very rare, the LG system has a habit of randomly crashing and restarting.
Final note, I have no intention of replacing it, as that is beyond my power, but if I were to convince the bill payers, what are some suggested GOOD home theater systems?

Top Bottom