• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any tips on installing Zalman 7000 on AMD socket 462? What's a shim for? Use one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see that the Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu is very large and heavy.

This guy *clunk*
copperaluminum7000s.jpg
and it's all copper brother...... *Picks up the package* Hmm... heavy.

Got it. These things need to be really secure.
Is there a gut-wrenching install, such as taking out the whole motherboard, or is it just straight-forward hook-clip-lock and go...but with screws/bolts?

abccables-store_1817_22353668
And what's this shim business? Are they necessary, or is it better to have one than not?

supplies:
The boards I have to work with are two (2) Asus A7n8x regulars, one (1) Asus A7n8x Delux, one (1) Soyo Dragon Ultra KT400, and one (1) Soyo K7VME VIA microATX

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
1. Check the Zalman webpage to see if the HSF is even known to fit on the motherboard model in question.
2. Check your computer if power supply location is a known issue.
3. Follow instructions for your socket type only. The package comes with equipment for Athlons, P4s, and A64s.
4. Be careful when installing. You may have to remove the motherboard, and getting careless with static or bending the board will leave you with a fried mobo*.

* Personal experience.

'Never fried a mobo, (knocks on wood) but I cooked a soundcard and a Hard drive by forgetting to set the HD somewhere else in the case other than...resting on a soundcard inserted into its PCI slot.

About frying a mobo, in the past I've not used anti-static wrist bands and just grounded out by touching the metal of the case. I think I'm safe in just doing that.

Now about Copper shims.... Do I need one?

The plan for the all copper CPNS7000A-Cu is the Asus A7n8x Deluxe + Barton 2500.

Monica Bellucci appriciates your help and advice in cooling Raymond's Athlons.
Monica_Bellucci.jpg

NohWun

In my opinion, it's not worth the trouble of removing the mobo to install these coolers.

Instead, I'd recommend one that uses the socket clips, such as one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-106-602&depa=0
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-106-603&depa=0
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-150-043&depa=0

A shim isn't necessary if you're careful, but it's not a bad idea either.

Having said all that, if you're going to be moving the computer around a lot, then I'd recommend a shim and the Zalman.

naa. those aren't the power I'm looking for.

My old overclocked PC (Celeron 366) used to sound like a mini-fridge running, but it was the coolest overclock I'd had to date. I want the same kind of power and not the noise, which is why I ordered the Zalmans.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
If they tell you to put the shim in, put it in. Thermodynamically it doesn't make any sense. I'd figure you'd want to have the HS/F touching every bit of the chip you can get.

NohWun

The shim helps prevent you from cracking your CPU die. It probably doesn't help much with regard to heat dissipation.

If you want to go through the trouble of installing such a big cooler in order to overclock, then by all means have at it.

But for the common person who just wants a computer that works, I'd recommend avoiding such a cooler.

Phoenix

NohWun said:
The shim helps prevent you from cracking your CPU die. It probably doesn't help much with regard to heat dissipation.

Yeah that is correct. Its just there to 'flatten out' the top of the CPU so that you can't apply as much force on the die itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom