• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anybody Cleaned their PS4PRO, and did it help noise wise?

Did you open and fully cleaned your PS4PRO and replaced the thermal paste?

• Total voters

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
So. I've been meaning to go full on with this project a couple months ago. Bought everything. Chickened out. Since Series S plus Elden Ring I haven't touched my Pro besides maybe 2 hours due to GT7.

Menu:

I swear Ace Combat was a coincidence..TV sound is off.

I know many have the same experience but do me a soli.... favor and turn up the volume..

Mobile sounds doesn't do it's haunting sounds justice .. !!

Ofcourse there are hundreds of instructional videos online but I'm not going to watch all of them to cross reference certain specific ways of doing the steps and how.

I know folks here who have done this. The whole shebang.

I could really use some indepth detailed advice regarding for example removing or, more importantly how much paste to reapply. Etc.

Did it help with the noise? For how long? (I know external factors play a role like having pets, dust etc)

I've cleaned the fan many times with cleaning alchohol and those ear cleaners.

No dice.

So I want to take it all the way baby

Thanks each and every response in advance.

Sincere regards 22•22

Last edited:

Kupfer

• All of the above plus renewed thermal paste

Did it for a friend, my own Pro never got loud.
His went from jet engine to normal again, there was a lot of dust blocking the heatsinks.
There are enough good tutorials online (iFixit), how to open and disassemble the console. It is actually not a big deal and you don't have to be afraid if you take your time and work conscientiously.

Edit:
Better not put your console in a locked cabinet, it will be much warmer in there and harder for the PS4 to cool down. It also says in the manual, 20cm space to each side. I also put mine on 4 small blocks (3cm) so that the air can circulate under the console.

Last edited:

k1m1d4n

Hi again.

I had the thermal paste changed on the processor and also on the memory.
I paid for the service at a local PC components store because I'm too clumsy with tools to risk it.
The first time it returned home the noise was worse. So I went back to the store and the guy ordered the best thermal paste brand (at the moment) and also some memory pads.
She was perfect for a while. No noise on COD MW2, RDR2 and even playing VR.
But then she got jealous after I stopped using her because I bought a PS5.
A few months later of no use, I tried playing beat saber on VR and the noise was worse than ever. So it didn't solve the problem.

From my understanding and all the information I had at the moment the best you can do is change fan, put new thermal paste on the processor and put the thermal pads on the memory. And even then it's not guaranteed.

Brands used at the time were

8BnT6EK.jpg
ducn5mx.jpg

And I paid 30€ for the job.

Hope it helps.

Kamina

Golden Boy
All including Thermal Paste. Less loud than before but still loud.
Oh well, i play on PS5 now.

tommib

I could only play the pro with headphones on. True story. Absolutely unbearable. I lived in a studio back in the day. Sekiro with unlocked frame rate was like being inside a rocket launcher. And that was from day one. I never tried to vacuum or reduce the noise since it was always at max. noise from the start.

Terrible and cheap design from Sony. PS5 is a godsend.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Hi again.

I had the thermal paste changed on the processor and also on the memory.
I paid for the service at a local PC components store because I'm too clumsy with tools to risk it.
The first time it returned home the noise was worse. So I went back to the store and the guy ordered the best thermal paste brand (at the moment) and also some memory pads.
She was perfect for a while. No noise on COD MW2, RDR2 and even playing VR.
But then she got jealous after I stopped using her because I bought a PS5.
A few months later of no use, I tried playing beat saber on VR and the noise was worse than ever. So it didn't solve the problem.

From my understanding and all the information I had at the moment the best you can do is change fan, put new thermal paste on the processor and put the thermal pads on the memory. And even then it's not guaranteed.

Brands used at the time were

8BnT6EK.jpg

And I paid 30€ for the job.

Hope it helps.

Got the same brand thermal! High five! Thanks (all but one) for your help!

All including Thermal Paste. Less loud than before but still loud.
Oh well, i play on PS5 now.

I'll skip the thermal and clean the cooling vents. Saw a vid that mentioned most dust buildup goes there.

Wow what about keeping your machine outside the cabinet and let it breath?

Wow about not noticing I removed the back "wall" for ventilation purposes. And perhaps, just maybe, it was ON the dressoir first making the same noise

Get a ps5.

Kiss my taint

I could only play the pro with headphones on. True story. Absolutely unbearable. I lived in a studio back in the day. Sekiro with unlocked frame rate was like being inside a rocket launcher. And that was from day one. I never tried to vacuum or reduce the noise since it was always at max. noise from the start.

Terrible and cheap design from Sony. PS5 is a godsend.

Yup. I only play with headphones. Works as a a charm. And my neighbours are happy.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Wow about not noticing I removed the back "wall" for ventilation purposes. And perhaps, just maybe, it was ON the dressoir first making the same noise

FHg8HJJ.jpg

Source
Do not use the system in a closed cabinet or other place where heat may accumulate. Otherwise, the system may overheat and there is a risk of fire, injury or malfunction.

Even if you took out the back panel of the cabinet, there is still no good ventilation inside the cabinet and thus heat buildup. You would have to install additional fans, like in a PC, to create an airflow. Pushing fresh air from outside to the console and sucking the warm air from the console out again would be a good compromise if you have to put the PS4 in a cabinet.

There are cheap 5v USB fans out there which can be plugged in the console.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
FHg8HJJ.jpg

Source

Even if you took out the back panel of the cabinet, there is still no good ventilation inside the cabinet and thus heat buildup. You would have to install additional fans, like in a PC, to create an airflow. Pushing fresh air from outside to the console and sucking the warm air from the console out again would be a good compromise if you have to put the PS4 in a cabinet.

There are cheap 5v USB fans out there which can be plugged in the console.

I played years without it being in a cabinet. Same thing. Got unlucky.

I'm well aware of the need for ventilation. At the point I put it in the one way cabinet it was more for masking it's sound. I doubt the noise has grown more than 5% tops since then.

Anyways, sorry for my earlier tone but as you now know I was well aware. And I read your post as if I'm some sort of daft person lmao.

Thanks though ♡

Last edited:

saintjules

I never understood the need to replace thermal paste. My PS4 Pro was great. Nothing wrong with it at all the entire time I had it.

I went to open it after the second year I had it and it was super clean inside. So I didn't bother to do anything with it.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Anyways, sorry for my earlier tone but as you now know I was well aware. And I read your post as if I'm some sort of daft person lmao.
I never thought you were stupid, just wanted to pass along some tips.

I cleaned mine a bit and swapped to liquid metal. Now the disc drive is louder than the fans
Replaced the FAN + TP to liquid Metal. Absolutely quiet now.
I've read from some conversions and mods by others that liquid metal TP flows and can damage other components and motherboard surfaces by shorting and by the liquid metal attacking and decomposing other metals and alloys.
Just out of interest, have you sealed or otherwise protected the components beforehand - like Sony does with the PS5 for example?

flying_sq

I never thought you were stupid, just wanted to pass along some tips.

I've read from some conversions and mods by others that liquid metal TP flows and can damage other components and motherboard surfaces by shorting and by the liquid metal attacking and decomposing other metals and alloys.
Just out of interest, have you sealed or otherwise protected the components beforehand - like Sony does with the PS5 for example?
No, I use LM on my PCs and I'm just careful with it. Never had a problem with it.

solidus12

My pro used to get extremely loud on GOW map screen.

Sold it and got the new model with the updated power supply. It’s very quiet and only gets a bit louder when the ambient temperature is hotter than usual.

Thank god I got a PS5, and I have to say, it’s whisper quiet; I don’t hear the fan at all; even the disc drive got noticeably quieter with updates. (I think?)

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
Replacing thermal paste in your console... Might as well just get a PC my dudes. 😅
That makes no sense whatsoever. In fact, cleaning and repasting your console is a good thing as it can extend its lifespan.
You'd have to open the thing though, which some people are afraid of for some reason. It basically is just a PC.

And so I tell the tale again: of the attack helicopter my PS4 Pro identified as and the magic of dedusting and rethermalpasting That shit flew rounds around the room lamp with the ittiest bit of load. TLOU2 was only playable with a noise cancelling headset on. (it did not cancel the noise as more it just blasted the game sound above it directly into my ears)

Remove the dust, remove the (in my case) absolute horrid paste job and repaste that motherlover! Did the same thing with my loud ass fat lady PS3... it is fucking worth it!

Three

So. I've been meaning to go full on with this project a couple months ago. Bought everything. Chickened out. Since Series S plus Elden Ring I haven't touched my Pro besides maybe 2 hours due to GT7.

Menu:

I swear Ace Combat was a coincidence..TV sound is off.

I know many have the same experience but do me a soli.... favor and turn up the volume..

Mobile sounds doesn't do it's haunting sounds justice .. !!

Ofcourse there are hundreds of instructional videos online but I'm not going to watch all of them to cross reference certain specific ways of doing the steps and how.

I know folks here who have done this. The whole shebang.

I could really use some indepth detailed advice regarding for example removing or, more importantly how much paste to reapply. Etc.

Did it help with the noise? For how long? (I know external factors play a role like having pets, dust etc)

I've cleaned the fan many times with cleaning alchohol and those ear cleaners.

No dice.

So I want to take it all the way baby

Thanks each and every response in advance.

Sincere regards 22•22

What the fuck, am I seeing this correctly? DO NOT PUT YOUR CONSOLES IN AN ENCLOSED SPACE!

Last edited:
Is there a list of things on my PS4Pro that can't be played on the PS5?
I have all the required on PS3's harddrive. (Probly should SSD that guy)

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Your first problem is putting the PS4 in your cabinet. I dont care if you have the back wall exposed, get it outta there. The PS4 Pro sucks in air from the front and the sides and then pushes it out from the back. Your back wall is too close. Your sides are taking in hot air that the console is pushing out which makes the console even hotter. Try this: Find a small fan, take your PS4 Pro out, and have the fan blow air directly at it. Ive done this with my PC and saw reductions of 5-10 degrees in temps in the CPU, GPU and VRMs.

And yes, I did clean my PS4 Pro. This is what I found. Console is a dust magnet and thermal paste was poorly applied. After I reapplied the thermal paste, the noise went away for a few weeks but returned eventually. Maybe I fucked up the thermal paste, but I wasnt gonna open it up again so close to the launch of PS5. I sold it to gamestop for $325.

The console or at least the launch revision simply wasnt designed well. You can see just how big the PS5 needs to be for a 200 watt console. The PS4 Pro could jump up to 170 watts in some games. A tiny heatsink was never going to be enough. The PS5 also needed liquid metal and a heatsink 3x the size as the one they put in the Pro.

IbQNa8k.jpg

viXdvpO.jpg

Shifty

Better not put your console in a locked cabinet
DO NOT PUT YOUR CONSOLES IN AN ENCLOSED SPACE!
Ah, this takes me back. I worked on a fancy realtime 3D hologram thing for an installation once, all top-end PC hardware in a tiny case that could be hidden away from public eyes.

We included the most explicit and idiot proof instructions possible to keep the cabinet ventilated, and what does the expo team do? Cover it on all sides with zero airflow magnetized branding panels.
A day or so in, we get an angry panicked call to say it's crashing constantly and ruining their image. A bit of client management later, and it transpired that the cab was literally fucking inflating due to all the heat buildup.

Which is to say: Ventilate your technology. And also don't work for idiots if you can avoid it.

Got a launch pro.

Sent my pro to a repair shop. They cleaned It replaced the thermal paste and on top they added thermal pads on the memory chips.

The improvement was there but the console was still like a vacumecleaner in Modern Warfare 2019.

It was just one level less noisy.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Just happy the folks expressing that keeping a device as a PS4 in a semi enclosed cabinet got their chance to express their knowledge.

Nvm. Context will be given as to why.

🤪😅🤣🙈😏😁😂🥵🌚

Last edited:

k1m1d4n

Yup. I only play with headphones. Works as a a charm. And my neighbours are happy.
Want to a know a funny thing? In complete silence with the headphones on and without any sound coming through, you can ear the ps5's coil whine louder than without the headphones. 😮

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The size of the fan is too small. It works for what it is supposed to do, but the smaller size is why it is so noisy by comparison.

k1m1d4n

22•22 22•22
Definitely 😀. But with all of this Russia - Ukraine, China - Taiwan, global warming - race for electric cars crisis, I'm not sure there will be any micro processors left for that.

Last edited:

GermanZepp

I opened cleaned, applied thermal paste and for the first week stayed silent then began to make noise again. I give it as a part of payment for my ps5.

theHFIC

When I replaced the BluRay drive in my Pro, you have to replace the thermal paste as part of the teardown. The original thermal paste was a mess all over past the surface area of the APUs. I reapplied my own (probably Arctic Silver) and was much quieter for the most part except for Days Gone which still sounded like a jet engine.

Neff

TLoU2 made my Pro SCREAM, so much so that it was ruining my enjoyment of the game. In desperation I went for the full deep clean- got rid of all the dust, cleaned the fans, and reapplied the thermal paste. It made a night and day difference, almost like getting a brand new machine, but after about a year it started to get noisy again. I think it's inevitable due to its design.

PS5 does a dramatically better job of controlling heat- it barely makes a noise in blistering summer.

Comandr

Posted on twitter about this. My ps4 pro was at 83dB playing tlou2 or ff7r. So fucking loud it ruined the experience. I replaced the thermal paste and cleaned the hell out of it and it got better for a while. Before long it was loud af again. I ended up building a four sided “house” for it with sound dampening foam and that was my solution until I got a ps5 and that thing is dead silent. I have literally never heard it make a noise in any game.

Top Bottom