• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anybody Cleaned their PS4PRO, and did it help noise wise?

Did you open and fully cleaned your PS4PRO and replaced the thermal paste?

• Total voters

tylrdiablos

Oddly enough, I completely disassembled my brother-in-laws PS4 (model 1116A, so not a Pro) last week.

Before the disassembly I tested No Man's Sky for ~45 minutes. The noise levels hit around 55db (according to an Android app) and there was noticeable performance problems in-game (trees, vegetation, animals etc would just pop in to existence as you bumped into them).
It was so loud that he had the console and the TV in separate rooms, connected with a 30 metre long HDMI cable. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I ended up replacing the thermal paste, thermal pads, cleaning out the fan and cleaning out the heat-sink. (The PS4 had previously been disassembled and there was practically no thermal paste present at all. And the old thermal pads were tiny.)
The whole process took me around 90 minutes.

It now runs at 25db although No Man's Sky will sometimes push it to 29/30 db during intense sections. (Transitioning into space etc.)
fgABZ2P.jpg

Dust etc clogging the heat-sink.
sB8yarl.jpg

The CPU before being cleaned and new thermal paste was applied. (There was no paste residue/marking on the metal plate that sits above the CPU.)

rQi9qlm.jpg

CPU cleaned and (poorly cut :p ) replacement thermal pads applied.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I've most probably killed my pro. Went to an tv repair shop dude and he was pretty like nah I don't think I can do this.

Called a console repair center. Emailed some pictures and am atm waiting for a response. I have a feeling it'll end up saying I need to buy that motherboard and a new plug. Maybe not. In any case it's waiting for an answer and costs.

Still frustrated. 99.9% went smoothly and then 1 mistake that fucked it all up.

New Girl Facepalm GIF by HULU

laynelane

Oddly enough, I completely disassembled my brother-in-laws PS4 (model 1116A, so not a Pro) last week.

Before the disassembly I tested No Man's Sky for ~45 minutes. The noise levels hit around 55db (according to an Android app) and there was noticeable performance problems in-game (trees, vegetation, animals etc would just pop in to existence as you bumped into them).
It was so loud that he had the console and the TV in separate rooms, connected with a 30 metre long HDMI cable. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I ended up replacing the thermal paste, thermal pads, cleaning out the fan and cleaning out the heat-sink. (The PS4 had previously been disassembled and there was practically no thermal paste present at all. And the old thermal pads were tiny.)
The whole process took me around 90 minutes.

It now runs at 25db although No Man's Sky will sometimes push it to 29/30 db during intense sections. (Transitioning into space etc.)
fgABZ2P.jpg

Dust etc clogging the heat-sink.
sB8yarl.jpg

The CPU before being cleaned and new thermal paste was applied. (There was no paste residue/marking on the metal plate that sits above the CPU.)

rQi9qlm.jpg

CPU cleaned and (poorly cut :p ) replacement thermal pads applied.

I had the same issue with my PS4. It was so incredibly loud, I could barely hear game or video sound over it (without turning up my TV to a level that would surely disturb my neighbours). I'm really not much for taking stuff apart, but purchased the necessary tools, paste, and followed a tutorial on YT. The thermal paste was just non-existent when I disassembled the unit. It was dusty, but not overtly so since I had cleaned it here and there over the years. It (the noise) seemed to be mostly due to the thermal paste being completely dried out. It's been 8 months since then and my PS4 is still quiet. I'll be keeping on top of it in the future so that the jet engine PS4 never returns.

buenoblue

Yeah I cleaned mine a few times and it was a little quieter but still loud as fuck. I had a day one PS4 pro and in the end I was running it with the cover off!! After God of war I couldn't take it any more. Literally sounded like a hairdryer!!
I sold it and went back to my old PS4… played spiderman and last of us 2 and it was fine🤷‍♂️.

Honestly that's the best thing about ps5. Going back and playing GOW, Spiderman and last of us 2 at 60 fps and near silent fans is worth the price of ps5 alone.

As many others have said, a thorough cleaning plus new thermal pads and thermal paste helped significantly. I luckily already had the quieter fan, so I did not need to change that out. That being said, it's a temporary fix. It will get loud again and you'll need to clean it again eventually.

Chronicle

I would do it every few months and it made a big difference. Fans, vents and paste. It's easy and once you fo it once it gets even easier. When it starts to sound like a jet engine again just replace the paste and clean up the vents. Just like new.... for a few months.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Got it repaired today. It's pretty silent. Cost me some bucks but hey at least I can sell it now.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yeah I cleaned mine a few times and it was a little quieter but still loud as fuck. I had a day one PS4 pro and in the end I was running it with the cover off!! After God of war I couldn't take it any more. Literally sounded like a hairdryer!!
I sold it and went back to my old PS4… played spiderman and last of us 2 and it was fine🤷‍♂️.

Honestly that's the best thing about ps5. Going back and playing GOW, Spiderman and last of us 2 at 60 fps and near silent fans is worth the price of ps5 alone.

After Buying and XSS I couldn't go back to my pro. Hence this topic. At least it works again and I can sell it.

Mabdia

The last time I cleaned mine was back in 2020 and it's still silent as a new one.

Used Cooler Master's:

uHUXvVw.jpg

Top Bottom