• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anybody here played A Way Out?

marquimvfs

I've been searching for offline multiplayer games to play with my wife. Lately, our greatest joy was Diablo 3 on PS4, but we are starting to get tired of it. So i'm keeping an eye on similar topics here and came across some interesting recommendations. One of them is the game mentioned on the thread title, so I looked for it ond the store and saw that there's a demo available for it. But, being an EA title , I immediately knew that the demo wasn't a no string attached offer, and I'm unable to play it without an invitation from someone who already own the game. That being said, someone here have it and can, please, send me an invitation? I hate EA and will only buy another game from them if it's really good (the last title I bought from them is Mass Effect 2), so being able to play the demo will really help.

On another topic, I'm also looking for some recommendations that fit the following criteria:
-Available on PS4
-Offline multiplayer
-Cooperative campaign
-Modern graphics (she's not into indie 16bit style, nor ugly 2d)
-3rd person camera
-Action, RPG, Adventure (given it's not very childish, like Lego series) Genre

I know it will be very hard to meet that, but, any recommendations will be very welcome. Some candidates that I've found until now are:
-It Takes 2
-Helldivers
-A Way Out
-Divinity Original Sin 2.
If there's some opinion on the candidates, it will also be very appreciated.

Last edited:

Wohc

Banned
- Not exactly modern graphics, but very unique and lots of coop fun: Cuphead
- Overcooked 2
- Portal 2
- Too bad she wants modern graphics, because Broforce and Terraria are great games with tons of fun
- If you also have a Pc or Xbox: Grounded

Last edited:

tommib

I played a way out with a friend on the couch and it was super fun. I am yet to find someone who can do more than two episodes of it takes two. All my friends lose interest.

Anyone with a PSN account willing to finish the game with me? Netherlands time zone here.

Korso

Definitely worth playing. It isn't very long tho so it will be worth looking at your next game in advance. To that note, I would recommend some more Diablo-style arpg's like Warhammer: Chaosbane (pretty decent), Vikings: Wolves of Midgard and Darksiders Genesis. Also I would highly recommend It Takes Two.

Tangerine

Completed it takes two with my best bud. All online but I know it can be played offline. I see you have already as a candidate. It's the best co op game either of us have ever played.

Mario 3D world is dumb fun on the Switch. Very funny with 2 or more players. Oh and Snipperclips.

Jackbox party packs although for a lot of them (think there's 8 or close now) 3 players is the minimum. A fair few are 2 player minimum. Would need to research. It's trivia and other unique word and picture games where you use your mobile phone to play. Still need TV screen though.

Edit: another vote for portal 2

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
You should try Brothers.
Yes, he should try this single player game with his wife ;) great game though.
I played a way out with a friend on the couch and it was super fun. I am yet to find someone who can do more than two episodes of it takes two. All my friends lose interest.

Anyone with a PSN account willing to finish the game with me? Netherlands time zone here.
I thought it takes two was insanely fun, played through it with my other half, if you was on Xbox I'd blast through it with you :)

Yes, he should try this single player game with his wife ;) great game though.
I would say, this is debatable. Yes, you do use only one controller, but as far as I understood it back then, playing it by holding it together and every player controls one brother, is one possible way the game was meant to be played.

And my wife and I did it exactly like that.

anthony2690

Banned
I would say, this is debatable. Yes, you do use only one controller, but as far as I understood it back then, playing it by holding it together and every player controls one brother, is one possible way the game was meant to be played.

And my wife and I did it exactly like that.
Tbh if he is on Xbox he can set up co pilot and turn it into a two player game!

And cool, you and your wife holding your joystick, whatever works best for you :p

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It takes 2 and way out are both fantastic for couch coop.

I highly recommend Gears of war games and EARTH DEFENSE FORCE games. So much fun coop

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
-Resident Evil Revelations 2
-Resident Evil 5

And maybe RE6 too, why the hell not. It's really fun in co-op.

Last edited:

saintjules

A lot of people mention It Takes Two. I played it with my then gf. It was a bit frustrating to play at times if they aren't avid gamers. It takes patience and some skill. The game also isn't short either.

A Way Out is okay, maybe fun for inexperienced players. It's very dated, expecially in the graphics department and there is almost no challenge to be found when it comes to gameplay. I found the story to be both forgettable and mediocre, but it's not too bad for some couch co-op.

Banned
A Way Out is a terrible game. it basically plays itself and when it doesn't it's a QTE sequence... it all ends with the final chapter being a really mediocre third person shooter

It Takes Two is really good tho, way better than A Way Out

Last edited:

onesvenus

In addition to It takes two and Now way out, I'd add "As dusk falls".
I know that people around here love to shit on that game but it's a really nice experience with lots (and I mean LOTS) of replay options

marquimvfs

Cool to see positive mentions of A way out here... somebody willing to invite me to a demo on PS4?

Edit: like I said in OT, the demo is only playable if I’m invited to it by a player who already have the game. My PSN name is the same as here...

Last edited:

shoegaze

I've been searching for offline multiplayer games to play with my wife. Lately, our greatest joy was Diablo 3 on PS4, but we are starting to get tired of it. So i'm keeping an eye on similar topics here and came across some interesting recommendations. One of them is the game mentioned on the thread title, so I looked for it ond the store and saw that there's a demo available for it. But, being an EA title , I immediately knew that the demo wasn't a no string attached offer, and I'm unable to play it without an invitation from someone who already own the game. That being said, someone here have it and can, please, send me an invitation? I hate EA and will only buy another game from them if it's really good (the last title I bought from them is Mass Effect 2), so being able to play the demo will really help.

On another topic, I'm also looking for some recommendations that fit the following criteria:
-Offline multiplayer
-Cooperative campaign
-Modern graphics (she's not into indie 16bit style, nor ugly 2d)
-3rd person camera
-Action, RPG, Adventure (given it's not very childish, like Lego series) Genre

I know it will be very hard to meet that, but, any recommendations will be very welcome. Some candidates that I've found until now are:
-It Takes 2
-Helldivers
-A Way Out
-Divinity Original Sin 2.
If there's some opinion on the candidates, it will also be very appreciated.

Very mediocre games. A Way Out moreso than It Takes Two. Latter is full of unlikable characters and bad writing while the former is generic and dated. Tried both wife and I, and truth be told, regret the waste of time. Only in public consciousness because of its unique standing as a couch co-op option. Helldivers and and Divinity couldn't get through the first hour so won't comment.

If you want something decent try Children of Morta, though might want to ditch the wife for that one and bring in a friend.

marquimvfs

Very mediocre games. A Way Out moreso than It Takes Two. Latter is full of unlikable characters and bad writing while the former is generic and dated. Tried both wife and I, and truth be told, regret the waste of time. Only in public consciousness because of its unique standing as a couch co-op option. Helldivers and and Divinity couldn't get through the first hour so won't comment.

If you want something decent try Children of Morta, though might want to ditch the wife for that one and bring in a friend.
Thanks, will check it out

Top Bottom