• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone been watching the absolutely bizarre new ultra-woke version of Survivor?

I don't understand, you want them to encourage segregation so it creates drama?

Yes. The idea here is to be entertained by people who you’d never meet. Doing an all Europa cast would be fun I think.

The intrigue comes from good players, it doesn't come from different groups. In fact, the different groups are not really creating more drama, if anything it creates less. The fun parts of the show have always been about who is socially shrewd, diverse, or not.

When they removed the word "guys" because it can harm transgenders, what you get is not a discussion about it, you get 2-3 gay people lamenting how it is to be gay, and the others can't say anything because if they do, they get viewed as anti-trans. You have cast members who refuse to vote out whoever represents their minority, which is frankly racist, and everyone is terrified of bringing it up. It's like a toxic progressive tone to it.

The problem here is not that they cast diverse, but that the casting is creating an environment where you have to follow the mentality of the show or they won't cast you. Everyone has to follow the social commentary the show puts down or else you won't get accepted unto the show.

Say this is happening, they can have other cast types as well. This is the flavor of the moment, but there will be other flavors too.

Last edited:

SaintALia

I don't understand, you want them to encourage segregation so it creates drama?

The intrigue comes from good players, it doesn't come from different groups. In fact, the different groups are not really creating more drama, if anything it creates less. The fun parts of the show have always been about who is socially shrewd, diverse, or not.

When they removed the word "guys" because it can harm transgenders, what you get is not a discussion about it, you get 2-3 gay people lamenting how it is to be gay, and the others can't say anything because if they do, they get viewed as anti-trans. You have cast members who refuse to vote out whoever represents their minority, which is frankly racist, and everyone is terrified of bringing it up. It's like a toxic progressive tone to it.

The problem here is not that they cast diverse, but that the casting is creating an environment where you have to follow the mentality of the show or they won't cast you. Everyone has to follow the social commentary the show puts down or else you won't get accepted unto the show.
"I don't understand, you want them to encourage segregation so it creates drama?"

Segregation? Lol what??? Isn't like this like the EXACT opposite of segragation when you put different races together????

Differences in people, both superficial and deep, provide drama and interest in reality TV shows(beyond race/beauty casting, this is the primary focus of casting directors for reality tv shows).

"In fact, the different groups are not really creating more drama, if anything it creates less."

I disagree, what you described sound FAR more interesting to me then anything I've heard happening on that show. Hell, the only thing of note to me that came out of that show over it's entire lifetime was that one gif with the guy smiling behind the girl. But like I said, I'm not a fan of the show, nor do I care much about it in general. I do sometimes watch reality shows, but it's usually the same old shit peddled over and over again, so it takes a lot for me to actually get invested in one.

The only ones I became slightly interested in recently was that one where people get Visas for their spouses and live together. There's a UK and US variant and both are pretty good from last I watched. The real drama and fun doesn't just come from normal couple shit, but from these two people coming from different cultural, racial or even religious backgrounds, trying to make it work. Finding out about each person and seeing if they can find some common ground and working it out, or just stumbling around blindly.

The other was something about 3 princes trying to find brides in the UK. One was a kingdom in Africa, I don't remember the where the other two guys were from, but one was gay. That was pretty fun too, as those guys had to navigate the differences between each other and the women/men they meet. Hell it was especially something with the black prince not even trying to hide his disgust of the gay prince, and the other prince having some disgust as well, but choose to obscure it more to have some decorum on camera.

(Maybe someone knows these shows, I think the previous one is popular, the princes one aren't I think?)

"you get 2-3 gay people lamenting how it is to be gay,"

Eh, I've never heard a full discussion about this, I'd be up to hearing it. Hell, the example of the gay prince above was pretty interesting to me finding out about his life and what he had to go through being a gay prince in his family.

But what I have heard a dozen friggin times for your usual reality tv show, is
1) Bitch/bastard being a bitch/bastard, other people calling out bitch/bastard (eventually)
2) Bitch/bastard trying their damndest not to look like a bitch/bastard
3) Love triangles/quadrangles or whatever else that involves multiple people in lust/love with each other
4) Screwing over other people.
5) Forming alliances to screw over other people
6) People siding with handsome/pretty people, schlubs typically getting the shaft.
7) The producers 'producing' a villain for the show

And many more of the greatest hit playing over and over again. Humanity itself is pretty predictable on it's own, a show running 23 years is bound to be hitting the same grooves over and over again. It might be the same pizza with a couple different toppings, but it's something slightly different, and I welcome that. Better that than shoving the same pap down your gullet each time, but some people prefer that I guess.

"The problem here is not that they cast diverse, but that the casting is creating an environment where you have to follow the mentality of the show or they won't cast you. Everyone has to follow the social commentary the show puts down or else you won't get accepted unto the show."

Yeah I don't fully subscribe to this either sorry. What people seem to forget for reality shows is that people's behaviours will change on screen. And that feedbacks into social media and their real life. That stuff was probably already going on, and magnified when there was more diversity.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
"I don't understand, you want them to encourage segregation so it creates drama?"

Segregation? Lol what??? Isn't like this like the EXACT opposite of segragation when you put different races together????

Differences in people, both superficial and deep, provide drama and interest in reality TV shows(beyond race/beauty casting, this is the primary focus of casting directors for reality tv shows).

"In fact, the different groups are not really creating more drama, if anything it creates less."

I disagree, what you described sound FAR more interesting to me then anything I've heard happening on that show. Hell, the only thing of note to me that came out of that show over it's entire lifetime was that one gif with the guy smiling behind the girl. But like I said, I'm not a fan of the show, nor do I care much about it in general. I do sometimes watch reality shows, but it's usually the same old shit peddled over and over again, so it takes a lot for me to actually get invested in one.
But how can you say it's interesting if you haven't seen it? you can't disagree with what happens on the show when you don't know.

I have seen it, I know, and the best seasons are always revolving around shrew social players. And this is getting a bit off-track because I am not saying that they shouldn't cast diverse or anything like that, but the casting should always revolve around who is good at playing the game. That's what makes it fun. But right now they are more focused on casting by very specific terms.

To cast diverse, they should like get a Trump supporter, and someone who's muslim and doesn't like gays or something, THAT would be wacky to watch, but they ain't doing that.

The segregation comment was in the context of the comment from the other guy, who said he wanted race alliances.

SaintALia

But how can you say it's interesting if you haven't seen it? you can't disagree with what happens on the show when you don't know.

I have seen it, I know, and the best seasons are always revolving around shrew social players. And this is getting a bit off-track because I am not saying that they shouldn't cast diverse or anything like that, but the casting should always revolve around who is good at playing the game. That's what makes it fun. But right now they are more focused on casting by very specific terms.

To cast diverse, they should like get a Trump supporter, and someone who's muslim and doesn't like gays or something, THAT would be wacky to watch, but they ain't doing that.

The segregation comment was in the context of the comment from the other guy, who said he wanted race alliances.
"I disagree, what you described sound FAR more interesting to me then anything..."

I've known about the series for 23 years, and I've never bothered to watch it, but what was said sounded more interesting to me than anything I've heard about that show. And I keep telling you, I'm not a fan of the show and I've never watched it.

"To cast diverse, they should like get a Trump supporter, and someone who's muslim and doesn't like gays or something, THAT would be wacky to watch, but they ain't doing that."

Sounds like that would just create needless friction and create division among audiences imo. You cast for interesting dynamics, conflicts, but you try to avoid politics and religious conflicts if you can for mainstream TV(unless the show is actually about that). Not sure how much mileage you'd get out of it as well, are we talking 'Republican who supports his party no matter who it is', 'republican who likes Trump because 'he tells it like it is'', republican who's racist and xenophobic', 'centrist who supports Trump's policies and goals'? And what sort of Muslim are we talking about as well? Muslim person who doesn't like gays may not actually be militant about it, but deals in a live and let situation, like well, a lot of Muslim and Christians in general. But if we're talking about a more militant type Muslim, well that may lead to a ton of issues producers would not want to deal with, inside and outside the studio.

They're making a series to appeal to mainstream viewers and trying to get more people who would normally be outside their demographic or revitalise the show, they aren't really interesting in those sort of conflicts. It's not about having a 'backbone', or even standing for anything really, it's just business.

Top Bottom