• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone been watching the absolutely bizarre new ultra-woke version of Survivor?

jorgejjvr

still a good watch

but yeah the whole not saying guys things was so dumb, you used it for 40 seasons, and now its wrong?

And if I remember correctly, when he first asked, no one said anything. One lesbian or bi girl, ACTUALLY said that it does not offend her, and that she thinks its okay. I was like, dope, wow was not expecting that!

but then the next day, the trans guy opened up his mouth, and now that has to change for EVERYONE over 1 person

Erica won because she was a woman, that was it. Unfortunately. But at least maryanne totally deserved it, and killed it at the last tribal council, showing the idol she never even used etc, she sold herself so well. She deserved that. I am pretty sure she is christian too

Last edited:

Salz01

Started to lose interest in the American version a few years ago when they added the stupid ass fire making challenge at final 4 and changed the jury format. Thank god Australia and South Africa both put on much better versions of the show.

It should also be noted that the word guys is not banned. Jeff just cut it from his greeting when the tribes are walking into a challenge.
How does one watch other versions of the show. I really wish in America I could watch other shows or versions via iTunes or something. I feel other countries don’t have their head up their asses yet. HBO had some but got rid of it. Also yes the new seasons of Survivor are trash. Forget about the excel spreadsheet checklist , the personalities are just trash.

BaneIsPain

I’m glad I stopped at Heroes vs Villain initially and try for one last season Winner’s at War where the GOAT Tony won it. I don’t think I’ll watch it ever again. That’s the final peak for me.

amused jaw drop GIF

Twenty years fly by. Haven't watched the show since I dropped it early on in the 2nd season.

Curious to know the story of this one
They caught a glimpse... A glimpse of the future.

followed by the other team finding out

Yes I ended up only finding it in Spanish so what.

But I think that's the (not so terribly interesting) story.

Twenty years fly by. Haven't watched the show since I dropped it early on in the 2nd season.
I dropped it then as well. After Richard Hatch one the first season despite being disliked by the majority everyone went into the second season trying to mirror him. The first season was the only one that felt genuine to me.

With all the wokeness; I’m waiting for them to reboot Harry Potter into Harriet Potter and that she’s poly with Ronda and Herman.

Never really was into survivor, but Boston Rob is goat.

Last edited:

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
This thread has inspired me to finish AU Survivor Brains vs Brawn since it was pulled from Paramount+ when I was on episode 19.

King George :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Bragr

Banned
still a good watch

but yeah the whole not saying guys things was so dumb, you used it for 40 seasons, and now its wrong?

And if I remember correctly, when he first asked, no one said anything. One lesbian or bi girl, ACTUALLY said that it does not offend her, and that she thinks its okay. I was like, dope, wow was not expecting that!

but then the next day, the trans guy opened up his mouth, and now that has to change for EVERYONE over 1 person

Erica won because she was a woman, that was it. Unfortunately. But at least maryanne totally deserved it, and killed it at the last tribal council, showing the idol she never even used etc, she sold herself so well. She deserved that. I am pretty sure she is christian too
Maryanne was way worse than Erica, she did nothing at all the entire season.

natjjohn

Will disagree with the general premise here, but do agree the show‘s quality (American version) has definitely slid. Advantages and idols out the wazoo. Way overdone to the point it has definitely ruined the show. The hour glass twist in 41 and 42 is the dumbest thing to date. Hopefully that’s permanently retired.

Bragr

Banned
She won because she got herself to top 3, and didn't even have to use her idol. She killed that speech. If she did nothing, how did she get most of the votes?
Because the jury votes for who they like, not who is the best, and they vote for who is popular at Ponderosa.

The reason why she didn't have to use her idol, is because no one saw her as a threat and everyone thought she sucked. Even that skinny guy who did nothing in the top 3 thought she did nothing. She didn't really say much at the final tribal that showed her game at all.

This is the reason why I made this thread, if you noticed, 2 or 3 of the jury folks said they prefer to vote for women, and 3 of the jury were black and mentioned how they want a black winner (wasn't Mike black too)? so what happened, is the jury voted for the black woman they liked at the end, even if she was a terrible Survivor player who did nothing the entire season. It was only the last 2 episodes where she did anything, everyone fucking hated her overly-talkative ass for most of the season and kept her around because she was an easy win at the top 3.

JCK75

I don't know how much the impact is but I've been hearing Californias DEI based tax laws are the cause of most of this ... if they don't have the proper diversity they lose 4% of their tax incentives.

SaintALia

I've never watched Survivor, but forcing more diversity seems more interesting to me. More varied people and backgrounds sounds like it'll make for more interesting drama. Unfortunately I can't summon enough energy to actually watch reality TV for more than 30 minutes.

Scotty W

Gold Member
I can’t imagine having enough life essence to watch a series that I don’t raspy want to watch. How do you have so much time?

LordOfChaos

That shit's still going? Dear god I remember talking about it when it was new when I was 9! Who still watches for it to have 42 seasons!?

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I prefer the Amazing Race.

I watched one season of survivor about 20 years ago and I was good. Don't need to watch anymore.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That shit's still going? Dear god I remember talking about it when it was new when I was 9! Who still watches for it to have 42 seasons!?
When reality TV shows costs peanuts to make, they can go on forever.

It's like when TLC would show an hour long show about the 800 lb man cooped up in his bedroom eating all day. They probably paid the fat ass in food coupons and the cameramen a couple hundred bucks per day. The entire show has overall production costs of probably no more than $10,000.

ADiTAR

Banned
I've never watched Survivor, but forcing more diversity seems more interesting to me. More varied people and backgrounds sounds like it'll make for more interesting drama. Unfortunately I can't summon enough energy to actually watch reality TV for more than 30 minutes.
The show always had diversity, it was just never a factor. I think the first winner was gay.

I stopped watching because I just hated all the produced twists and turns, it became how to follow who has the idol and the power to cancel the idol, who has a fake idol but they can make it real with someone elses fake idol, and the power to give Jeff a kiss while jumping on their left leg and winning a letter from their brother who's filming the next season.

Rival

Gold Member
The show always had diversity, it was just never a factor. I think the first winner was gay.

I stopped watching because I just hated all the produced twists and turns, it became how to follow who has the idol and the power to cancel the idol, who has a fake idol but they can make it real with someone elses fake idol, and the power to give Jeff a kiss while jumping on their left leg and winning a letter from their brother who's filming the next season.
This is why I stopped watching Survivor and Big Brother. The shows are way to over produced and the outcomes too manipulated to make it interesting anymore.

Teletraan1

Banned
I blame Friends. They were asking for millions per episode. Now they can do a whole season with a bunch of rubes and give them 250k for the whole season. Friends didn't make 42 seasons.

My GF watches this shit and I am sometimes in the room doing something else and listen to the nonsense. Since the affirmative action casting it has been pretty terrible. The show has always been diverse but I never had to hear about it every 5 seconds. I can't even count how many times I have heard some variation of wanting to represent your race/sexuality/gender to inspire others. I don't see what is inspiring about people being there for quotas. The first Survivor winner was a man that happened to be gay. He made it through the selection process on his own merit because the producers of the show felt he would be entertaining. Now it is THE emphasis with a bunch of boring people that preach and play victims. It is actually less diverse in terms of personalities because these victims they get are all singing the same tune. The season prior had a bunch of millenials that all had some minor ailment or condition that was overblown. They all sounded foolish talking about their slight social anxiety next the the girl with a fake leg who actually had some adversity.

SaintALia

I said 'more' diversity. 'Diversity' for a lot of shows is probably two gay/lesbian people, no more than 3 black people, maybe an Asian person, some Indians, if UK, and if you're extremely, someone other than the mentioned races. Yeah, 'more diversity' would be more interesting to me, but you're free to disagree with me as a fan of the show yourself.

"produced twists and turns"

I figured this is the main component of most reality shows, which is why I find them annoying to watch a lot of the times. Manipulation behind the scenes and establishing narratives that make for more 'juicy content'. But as I said, I never watched it.

ADiTAR

Banned
I said 'more' diversity. 'Diversity' for a lot of shows is probably two gay/lesbian people, no more than 3 black people, maybe an Asian person, some Indians, if UK, and if you're extremely, someone other than the mentioned races. Yeah, 'more diversity' would be more interesting to me, but you're free to disagree with me as a fan of the show yourself.

"produced twists and turns"

I figured this is the main component of most reality shows, which is why I find them annoying to watch a lot of the times. Manipulation behind the scenes and establishing narratives that make for more 'juicy content'. But as I said, I never watched it.
But like I said, there was always diversity in the show. I don't get what diversity you're after, would 50% certain race people be enough? What's enough diversity?

Survivor brought different people from different walks of life. Everyone has a different experience living, and the early Survivor did a great job of a melting pot of interesting people with diff povs. That's what made the show so interesting to watch.

The issue the OP is mentioning is what happens when in the sake of diversity people vote differently, or in other talent based reality shows they have to have a diverse finale so they produce produce produce to make sure they do. It just hurts the creativity and the authenticity of reality shows that I like so much.

SaintALia

But like I said, there was always diversity in the show. I don't get what diversity you're after, would 50% certain race people be enough? What's enough diversity?

Survivor brought different people from different walks of life. Everyone has a different experience living, and the early Survivor did a great job of a melting pot of interesting people with diff povs. That's what made the show so interesting to watch.

The issue the OP is mentioning is what happens when in the sake of diversity people vote differently, or in other talent based reality shows they have to have a diverse finale so they produce produce produce to make sure they do. It just hurts the creativity and the authenticity of reality shows that I like so much.
'What's enough diversity?'

I didn't realise that there was some sort of number attached to satisfy a quota?? I said I'd want to see 'more diversity'. A more diverse racial and LGBT cast would ensure a more robust 'melting pot of interesting people with diff povs' imo, and thus lead to more drama and conflicts. But it's more about catering to the people who watch the show most(casting with pretty men and women, then some schlubs), then doing some token casting to shore up diversity, that's how it always works. In reality tv shows, for something like Survivor, yeah, a more diverse cast would be more interesting, to me at least.

HAHA Lol, I just googled 'survivor cast' to see what the diversity was like, and it was pretty much how I described it, and that was just off the top of my head(Casting people are so predictable):
survivor-season-35-cast-photo.jpg

Like, literally no more than 3 black people, an Asian person and maybe one of these people is gay, but no other races from what I can tell. But yeah, just more diversity than this I'd imagine(jeez, not even any brunettes, just blondes and dirty blondes). But this is from a random google search, maybe the other casts are different, this is from S35.

ADiTAR

Banned

I didn't realise that there was some sort of number attached to satisfy a quota?? I said I'd want to see 'more diversity'. A more diverse racial and LGBT cast would ensure a more robust 'melting pot of interesting people with diff povs' imo, and thus lead to more drama and conflicts. But it's more about catering to the people who watch the show most(casting with pretty men and women, then some schlubs), then doing some token casting to shore up diversity, that's how it always works. In reality tv shows, for something like Survivor, yeah, a more diverse cast would be more interesting, to me at least.

HAHA Lol, I just googled 'survivor cast' to see what the diversity was like, and it was pretty much how I described it, and that was just off the top of my head(Casting people are so predictable):

Like, literally no more than 3 black people, an Asian person and maybe one of these people is gay, but no other races from what I can tell. But yeah, just more diversity than this I'd imagine(jeez, not even any brunettes, just blondes and dirty blondes). But this is from a random google search, maybe the other casts are different, this is from S35.
So 4 Black people? 5? 6? how many would satisfy you?

I think someone interesting and tactical is a great watch, I dunno why I should care about their race.

SaintALia

So 4 Black people? 5? 6? how many would satisfy you?

I think someone interesting and tactical is a great watch, I dunno why I should care about their race.
You're the one going off numbers dude. I just quoted random numbers from the predictability of casting for TV shows and Hollywood in general. That's just how they cast usually.

"I dunno why I should care about their race."
"A more diverse racial and LGBT cast would ensure a more robust 'melting pot of interesting people with diff povs' imo, and thus lead to more drama and conflicts."

If it doesn't bother you then it doesn't. A more diverse cast would just be more interesting to me based on the above.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Diversity isn't just looks. Your assumption is like two white people from different backgrounds and lived in different countries as kids is less diverse than a white and black guy who both grew up in Beverly Hills.

And besides, what's your definition of diversity? Disproportionate demographics? Like 20% white, 20% asian, 20% latino, 20% black, 20% native? Your pic has 20 people and you said there's 3 black people. Thats 15%. The US population is 13 or 14% black. Sounds like a spot on representative ratio to me.

As for who is or isnt gay, who cares what sexuality they are? And whether they want to tell the world or not? Dont a lot gay people prefer not outing themselves so they can blend in with everyone else instead of being the stereotypical "loud gay guy wearing a bright shirt".
and maybe one of these people is gay,
How would know from that pic who is and isnt gay? So your assumption is anyone who is pretty fit and good looking (most people are in that pic) is straight?

That's a pretty discriminatory assumption.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned

I think this was before they officially started following a diversity guideline.

The picture below is from the previous season I think, or two seasons ago. At this point, half the cast has to be black, hispanic, or asian, and there have to be several gay people. I think 3 or 4 of the people in this picture are gay.

That bald white dude sitting down in the middle is a woman.

The rest of the white folks won't be cast if they don't talk about social issues during the casting process. I don't remember if it was this or the last season but at some point, the black people teamed up and started talking about how nobody understands what it's like to be black and the white people had to look into the ground and one or two of them apologized.

In the end, the black girl in the middle won. They actually said during the last tribal, they wanted her to win because she is a minority and non-white. Even if everyone talked about how annoying she was during the entire season (she's a non-stop chatterbox).

The entire show is fucking insane.

Last edited:

SaintALia

Diversity isn't just looks. Your assumption is like two white people from different backgrounds and lived in different countries as kids is less diverse than a white and black guy who both grew up in Beverly Hills.

And besides, what's your definition of diversity? Disproportionate demographics? Like 20% white, 20% asian, 20% latino, 20% black, 20% native? Your pic has 20 people and you said there's 3 black people. Thats 15%. The US population is 13 or 14% black. Sounds like a spot on representative ratio to me.

As for who is or isnt gay, who cares what sexuality they are? And whether they want to tell the world or not? Dont a lot gay people prefer not outing themselves so they can blend in with everyone else instead of being the stereotypical "loud gay guy wearing a bright shirt".

How would know from that pic who is and isnt gay? So your assumption is anyone who is pretty fit and good looking (most people are in that pic) is straight?

That's a pretty discriminatory assumption.
"Diversity isn't just looks."

I never said it was? There was a reason I quoted this and the commentor's part:
'A more diverse racial and LGBT cast would ensure a more robust 'melting pot of interesting people with diff povs' imo'

"Your assumption is like two white people from different backgrounds and lived in different countries as kids is less diverse than a white and black guy who both grew up in Beverly Hills."

Can't see how you can make that assumption when I never alluded to anything like this at all. I said I wanted to see 'more diversity', and said how Hollywood/tv shows usually cast as an example off the top of my head. I never even really responded to the commentor when he started talking about numbers and such.

"Your pic has 20 people and you said there's 3 black people. Thats 15%. The US population is 13 or 14% black. Sounds like a spot on representative ratio to me."

You're kinda missing the point by posting this, also missing the other part about different races as well.

"As for who is or isnt gay, who cares what sexuality they are? "

Have you actually read my comments or is this a knee jerk reaction to seeing someone saying they want to see more diversity in something?

I'll post this and just bold it:
"A more diverse racial and LGBT cast would ensure a more robust 'melting pot of interesting people with diff povs' imo, and thus lead to more drama and conflicts."
Which would be more interesting to me personally.

I think this was before they officially started following a diversity guideline.

The picture below is from the previous season I think, or two seasons ago. At this point, half the cast has to be black, hispanic, or asian, and there have to be several gay people. I think 3 or 4 of the people in this picture are gay.

The rest of the white folks won't be cast if they don't talk about social issues during the casting process. I don't remember if it was this or the last season but at some point, the black people teamed up and started talking about how nobody understands what it's like to be black and the white people had to look into the ground and one or two of them apologized.

In the end, the black girl in the middle won. They actually said during the last tribal, they wanted her to win because she is a minority and non-white. Even if everyone talked about how annoying she was during the entire season (she's a non-stop chatterbox).

NGL, that sounds kinda hilarious. Get a mix of Asian people on there to form clans of their own, as well as a Hispanic mix, should be a fun time on the island tonight.

Bragr

Banned
NGL, that sounds kinda hilarious. Get a mix of Asian people on there to form clans of their own, as well as a Hispanic mix, should be a fun time on the island tonight.
The best part is when people are strategic social manipulation, race clans and false pretenses are not that interesting to watch, to be honest. The show peaked 15 years ago.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Which would be more interesting to me personally.
You're assuming people who look different or have different sexual preferences lead to drama or conflict or super different views.

Just because people look different doesn't mean it leads to more juicy info. As I said to you before, just because people look different doesn't mean they are totally different kinds of people. It can just be skin deep.

A lot my god buddies are Italian guys. All born and raised in the Toronto GTA. Totally different personalities and jobs. Skin deep, people might think they are the same or even brothers. But they are all totally different when they talk and argue with each other about different topics.

Last edited:

SaintALia

The best part is when people are strategic social manipulation, race clans and false pretenses are not that interesting to watch, to be honest. The show peaked 15 years ago.
It's a show that's been on the air for like 23 years. I'd assume the 'strategic social manipulation' would have gotten tired after five years, but again, I've never watched the show. The premise never hooked me because I kinda figured what was going to be the 'meat' and never bothered. Actually I think there were a lot more reasons than that, I can't remember. I'm pretty sure I was watching Real World and another reality show on MTV by then. I was watching a few reality shows, but I can't pin down why I never watched Survivor specifically tbh.

SaintALia

You're assuming people who look different or have different sexual preferences lead to drama or conflict or super different views.

Just because people look different doesn't mean it leads to more juicy info. As I said to you before, just because people look different doesn't mean they are totally different kinds of people. It can just be skin deep.

A lot my god buddies are Italian guys. All born and raised in the Toronto GTA. Totally different personalities and jobs. Skin deep, people might think they are the same or even brothers. But they are all totally different when they talk and argue with each other about different topics.
Yeah, that's usually how it works in my experience. People operate by herd and group mentality and conflicts arise when people see too many differences and not enough common ground, they tend to split and group based on shared social experiences and what makes them feel safer. The easiest way to judge and group is by appearances, typically skin colour would be the easiest differentiator, but that would depend on the actual group.

I never said that just because people are different races, that differences are guaranteed and that conflicts and drama are therefore guaranteed. But it does ensure more differences are apparent and group split and group team-ups and dynamics would be more interesting. That in itself would be just human nature, well it would just be animal nature really. Eventually these group splits and dynamics eventually become even more interesting when people get to know each other and what you describe happens when they see the differences and similarities beyond the superficial.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah, that's usually how it works in my experience. People operate by herd and group mentality and conflicts arise when people see too many differences and not enough common ground, they tend to split and group based on shared social experiences and what makes them feel safer. The easiest way to judge and group is by appearances, typically skin colour would be the easiest differentiator, but that would depend on the actual group.

I never said that just because people are different races, that differences are guaranteed and that conflicts and drama are therefore guaranteed. But it does ensure more differences are apparent and group split and group team-ups and dynamics would be more interesting. That in itself would be just human nature, well it would just be animal nature really. Eventually these group splits and dynamics eventually become even more interesting when people get to know each other and what you describe happens when they see the differences and similarities beyond the superficial.
Fair enough.

I didn't mean to put a target on your head if I came across that way.

It's just that with this whole push for diversity brownie pts, people and media almost always assume skin deep appearance = diversity. When in reality it's not necessarily true.

It's like TV ads now. The diversity push is putting a bunch of different ethnic people on screen. Then you hear them talk and they all have perfect english. Well, it's pretty obvious they are all born and bred Canadians or Americans doing the tv commercial.

A bigger probability of diversity would be to put someone with foreign accent because that would mean they grew up in a different country.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I don't know anything about "Survivor" but this got a chuckle out of me,sounds so trashy almost like a parody of Woke im not even mad 😂

SaintALia

Fair enough.

It's just that with this whole push for diversity brownie pts, people and media almost always assume skin deep appearance = diversity. When in reality it's not necessarily true.

It's like TV ads now. The diversity push is putting a bunch of different ethnic people on screen. Then you hear them talk and they all have perfect english. Well, it's pretty obvious they are all born and bred Canadians or Americans doing the tv commercial.

A bigger probability of diversity would be to put someone with foreign accent because that would mean they grew up in a different country.
Eh, no problem dude, but corporations are gonna corp. I really don't see why people get so upset about these things. Corps do lots of market research and testing and gathering data on their consumers. They've been jumping on activist bandwagons and social movements ever since they were a thing. Any actual societal benefits are just side effects of exploitation for a buck.

Likely Survivor may have suffered a dip in ratings over the years, and they figure a more diverse crew would dredge up more viewership and talk about the show. Like I didn't even know it was still going on until this thread, so I guess it worked. And if it is working, I assume they'll keep it going, if not, well, they'll just slowly roll back to what works and keep mum about any diversification stuff. But there's probably a lot of people who are probably interested in seeing 'themselves' represented, or more diversity in programming, so may check it out(AKA-viewers that may sit outside their target demos). If they don't wrangle those fish, the 'praise diversity' crowd and the 'anti-woke' crowd will likely do enough publicity for them to re-engage some of their lost viewership.

But apart from all that, cultural, racial, and gender differences can make for some interesting TV in my opinion.

Honestly it seems fine to me. If they did a cast that was only LGBTQ for a season I wouldn't care either. If they did an all Africa,, South America, Europe, etc cast I wouldn't care. That type of variety is interesting because you can see how people are from all over the place.

Last edited:
Fair enough.

Survivor has already been doing the other type of diversity since day one. The "Career Diversity" thing has been done since day 1, as well as the "Life Style Diversity" (Having hippies, corporate lords, punk rockers, entertainers). A lot of that stuff has been done (and is still done with a more diverse cast).

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Honestly it seems fine to me. If they did a cast that was only LGBTQ for a season I wouldn't care either. If they did an all Africa,, South America, Europe, etc cast I wouldn't care. That type of variety is interesting because you can see how people are from all over the place.

I don't understand, you want them to encourage segregation so it creates drama?

The intrigue comes from good players, it doesn't come from different groups. In fact, the different groups are not really creating more drama, if anything it creates less. The fun parts of the show have always been about who is socially shrewd, diverse, or not.

When they removed the word "guys" because it can harm transgenders, what you get is not a discussion about it, you get 2-3 gay people lamenting how it is to be gay, and the others can't say anything because if they do, they get viewed as anti-trans. You have cast members who refuse to vote out whoever represents their minority, which is frankly racist, and everyone is terrified of bringing it up. It's like a toxic progressive tone to it.

The problem here is not that they cast diverse, but that the casting is creating an environment where you have to follow the mentality of the show or they won't cast you. Everyone has to follow the social commentary the show puts down or else you won't get accepted unto the show.

Top Bottom