• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else getting Resident Evil franchise fatigue?

fart town usa

Gold Member
57nXNy4.gif

PS Dinocrisis is trash
it really is, game is just pure gray and a slog to play unfortunately. Having dinos chase you in HD with REmake3 controls would be amazing though.

JayK47

It started around Resident Evil 3 for me. I loved RE1 and RE2 on the PS. RE3 was kind of annoying and for me the series peaked at RE2. I played RE4 and did not see why it was considered so great. I was somewhat interested in the RE2 remake, but I have just kind of stayed away from the series and didn't see a reason to go back, even for a remake.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Are the games still fun? Yeah

Are Capcom shamelessly pumping out yearly RE titles and crutching on the sales of the brand name to make a bag and cut some corners on the games usually have the last act of the games come across as rushed? Yes.

I'm not tired of them but am I fuck buying day one full price.

Valt7786

No way, bring me more of that RE 2 remake style godliness. 7 was good as it's own thing, Village was good the first time through, after it's total meh.

xPikYx

5K62mY6.jpg

It's been a sad decline for many franchises under Konami's direction.
It is difficult to renovate a franchise or even keep it up, when you publish 3 and a half masterpieces. Especially when who leads the project quit or change publisher or game studio. Capcom was really close too when Mikami left. Konami has been less "lucky" in finding a new head director for one of its most important franchises.

laynelane

It is difficult to renovate a franchise or even keep it up, when you publish 3 and a half masterpieces. Especially when who leads the project quit or change publisher or game studio. Capcom was really close too when Mikami left. Konami has been less "lucky" in finding a new head director for one of its most important franchises.

From what I've read, Konami disbanded Team Silent because they wanted the SH games to have a "different feeling" to them. In an ideal world, I'd love to see them sell their IPs to someone who would care about them.

Last edited:

xPikYx

From what I've read, Konami disbanded Team Silent because they wanted the SH games to have "different feeling" to them. In an ideal world, I'd love to see them sell their IPs to someone who would care about them.
Yeah that would be nice, but I can't see any good game studio able to inherit such a heavy heritage, the risk to fuck up is too high, that's why probably noone even bother to buy the IP, not even Sony itself

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
no, will always love another RE game. (single player ones like RE4,RE7, RE8)

I feel like the action, horror and gunplay suits me very well, not alot of games like this out there.

After 4, the franchise went downhill. And to be honest, 4 is one of the worst games in the franchise (come at me), I really hate it.

The first 3 were the best ones. Capcom milked the fuck out of this franchise with mediocre movies, games, spin-offs and all that. I couldn't care less about it now.

Which Resident Evil? RE feels like three different franchises. RE1-3 plus Code Veronica, RE4-6 and RE7-8.

I definitely got tired of the 4-6 formula. I've had my fill of the 7/8 style now. But, the original trilogy and their remakes are still great and I'd love another entry in that style.

Y0ssarian

Banned
After I beat 7 I was like "good, but I'll never play through that again." 2 remake bored me. 3 too. Felt the same way through village though

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Nah man RE7 rejuvenated the series for me, and that was before I played fit in VR. After VR it went straight to the top of my greatest horror video game of all time list.

Honestly just the best horror experience I’ve ever had, out of any movie, game, haunted house, book, etc. It was incredible.

I’m waiting to play RE8 in VR, which I’m really really hoping they do one day. I trust they will, even if it’s 5-10 years from, I don’t care I’ll wait. The experience in VR is just too good and I only regret I didn’t play 7 in VR first.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
I wasn't super hyped for village probably due to fatigue however when I played it, I was proven wrong. That game was awesome.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
We have that awesome Village DLC that’s TBA. I finished Village 5 times and that amazed me. It felt like a ride at a theme park.

It’s a lot like how Monster Hunter goes.. anyone truly impressed by the CGI/animated film they did for it? How about Monster Hunter Stories? The live action film? I forgot that existed until I thought about it. I loved World and Rise, but I’m not digging the stuff afterwords.

What has Capcom actually done since Village, that was made with the RE Engine? I went back to play through RE3R and that was super short. I had an amazing time with RE2R. I have been satisfied by what they’ve done. The Hollywood RE still hasn’t learned their lesson.

I’d just say look away? RE7 and Village took a lot of time to come out and I was satisfied. I played through Revelations 2 and it’s DLC back when the PS4 was relatively new. I had a much better time with 7 and Village. I think Capcom does better when they focus on 1 game and not put out a bunch of side stuff or side stuff for the hell of it. Sega does that with Sonic and we all know how well that’s turned out. Yet they’re hopefully going to hit a home run with the next entry.

I’m still excited to see what the Village DLC is all about. You have Mega Man, Devil May Cry, and tons of other IP’s you could play. No one wants another 360 Gen Capcom unless it’s another amazing Street Fighter. A Street Fighter that gets everyone back into Street Fighter would be great. IV got so many players, new and old. Street Fighter V never felt like it did what IV did.

Last edited:

nordique

Not me. Short campaigns. 8 just came out and 7 came out a while ago.

The remakes were nice but short.

4 was so long ago OP lol. Unless you played every re release. I haven’t played it since GameCube launch

Last edited:

Excess

If anything, RE knows how to reinvent itself and shake things up. Even if there's something you dislike about the new stuff, you're given remasters of older games to satisfy those appetites. You can't really say the same of other franchises that don't risk changing anything with iterative releases.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Got it after 5 tbh. Tried playing the first person one and just couldn't do more than an hour. Needs to go on a long hiatus IMO.

njean777

No, all of them have the quirks for sure, but there is variety in the settings, with a familiar franchise, which I like. I like the corny, over the top stories that are told/played.

ParaSeoul

Pretty much the only big budget horror game anymore. Getting tired of western horror settings,if we could get a new Siren thats similar to the first two games that would be a nice change of pace.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Been there since day one and no…

I could understand if you‘d say that back at PSone days but nowadays Capcom keeps the series so diverse, I think it‘s almost impossible to get fatigued by it. The past two entries were basically complete different games.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
No, mostly because I dont like FPS direction they are going for, so I barely played newer RE games other than RE2Remake.

Javthusiast

Banned
Don't like the fps ones. I prefer my RE games in third person. Remake 2 great, remake 3 mediocore, dreading 4 Remake, cause original is a classic and my favourite in the series.

IC3M@N FX

Neo Member
I wish Capcom bring a NextGen Update with better Resolution and Graphic with extra DLC as Directors Cut for 20$/€ Resident Evil 2/3 Remake!

Resident Evil 2 Directors Cut
With new features new Weapons, faster and more aggressive Zombies and lot more outside areas before going to the Police Station and new/old area from Original the Factory later in Game.

Resident Evil 3 Directors Cut
With new features new Weapons, faster and more aggressive Zombies and lot more inside areas for example the Police Station/Clock Tower and Gas Station with Jill in Original is completely missing in Remake.

Aenima

Not really. Just bought RE Raccoon City edition and beated RE2 two times (as Leon and then as Claire) then beated RE3. All back to back and i could just start with RE Village, but gonna wait a bit more to buy that one.

Robb

Gold Member
Not really. But I haven’t cared about the RE games since they went first person. Tried RE7, but it did nothing for me. I prefer the 3rd person games with more action and less horror tbh.

Although I can acknowledge that the franchise did need a fresh take after RE5/6, I can’t say I remember those games fondly.

ClosBSAS

Pff what? That's what re7 and re8 are there for. Shits just getting started. Village was amazing, we need more.

Impotaku

Must admit that the newer ones are not grabbing me at all, i was into it when the story was a lot more simple. Evil umbrella corporation creating bioweapons, ruined city ect so by part 4 i was kind of getting burnt out. But i'm totally still in love with zero plus the first 3 games both originals & the excellent remakes i think it's just the setting of those games that i really liked but as they go on they wildly started to veer away from that the stuff in 8 seems almost supernatural than something umbrella created i don't know any of the story past 4 so i have no idea if umbrella is even still a thing, i own 7 but haven't put many hours into it i mainly got it because i wanted to try it in VR but i never got far enough into the story of 7 for it to make any sense apart from the weird texas chainsaw inbred family vibes or the weird pulsating slimy monster things.

If they remade code veronica in the way the did resi 2 i could be tempted but resi 4 i'm not interested in revisiting it was at that point i started to drift away from the newer ones only briefly jumping back in with 7..

BaneIsPain

RE7 sparks my interest to replay old RE. I haven’t touch village but i’ve seen it good enough to buy it in future.

The 3rd person remake style is great. They should focus on that. They should focus on a modern style of the classic Zombie formula and stop the 1st person crap.

Skyfox

Code veronica 3rd person next please!

Fucking LOVED 💕 Re2Remake and with a decent console and tv re3remake shines too (the multiplayer can burn in a sewer tho).

I never get franchise fatigue with any series I really enjoy, including RE. But I mix up what I play so much that it's impossible to tire of any particular genre or series. Variety is the spice of life.

Top Bottom