• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else ride Mountainbikes?

Mohonky

I only recently (at nearly 40yrs old) got into mtn biking. I posted it in the what have you bought threads, but just before New Years just gone I picked up a mountain bike, an e-bike more specifically. Had a mate fairly into it but I kind of had in my head they went riding around in bush trails, I didn't think 'enduro' style trails. I looked up a few videos having always wanting to get into motor bikes (I had them as a kid) I was kind of shocked to find that locally around me were a lot of really good downhill trails.

I didn't however, want to get a non-ebike, at least not at my age and fitness level. I love the idea of riding, but I am definitely not what you would call a cycist, I actually hate it, hence why I was thinking of getting a motor bike again but also remembering you can't ride the bloody things anywhere and even when you can, it's bit of a pain to haul them around, maintain etc. So this fit in really easily and tbh, I am way more hooked than I expected. It wasn't cheap (I was surprised to find a decent ebike would cost me near as the same as a motor bike more or less) but it's been the best thing I've done for my mental and physical healthg, sans the accidents anyway.

I know another member here also bought a Giant eBike so there's at least another one of you out there, but any one else?

Bonus; some videos from rides I've done. One a weekend out on some Green & Blue flow trails, another from another day on Black (shit gets serious at that level especially as a beginner) and some slightly technical Blue trails .

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I'm in my 40s and while not totally out of shape, I'm looking into an outdoor activity myself. I can't see well so biking could be an interesting activity and it's not that fast. Any model to recommend buying for someone in Canada?

Dark Star

I love riding MTB. I have a Schwinn Ranger which is a cheap mountain bike, but I replaced the seat, got a smartphone holder, water bottle holder, and it's a fun bike. I have woods/forest trails near me and I try to go every weekend. I've been riding bikes my whole life, got a couple e-bikes too, it's a great hobby. I like wearing my headphones and listening to music while exploring nature. One day I'd like to get a dual sport motorcycle for some street legal riding and offroading/motovlogging too. I live in Houston Texas so I have to be really careful where I ride my bike, not a bike friendly city, no side walks, too many crazy drivers. So i usually stick the nature trails and my neighborhood. Got an app on my iphone that can track how many miles I do, pace per mile, etc. Usually do about 10 miles. I like hiking and skateboarding too, that's good fitness as well.

Not my pic but this is the trail I ride, bike riding distance from my house

bridgeland_creektrail_bikers-web.jpg

Last edited:

Mohonky

I'm in my 40s and while not totally out of shape, I'm looking into an outdoor activity myself. I can't see well so biking could be an interesting activity and it's not that fast. Any model to recommend buying for someone in Canada?

Depends on the sort of biking you want to do and how much you want to spend. There are so many good brands that actually come out of Canada and honestly riding in Canada (like Whistler would be a dream of mine).

If you are going to be plodding around on nature trails I reckon a hardtail (no rear suspension) fatbike would be where it's at just for it's comfort and go anywhere nature.

Otherwise hardtail bikes in general are going to be cheaper and more efficient for riding around, otherwise if you go for downhill, it gets pretty expensive pretty quick but they are awesome fun

JayK47

I love mountain biking. Many of the county parks where I live have dedicated and maintained mountain bike trails. They used to be fairly quiet, but during the pandemic, it seems everybody decided to give it a try. The parking areas are overflowing, lots of newbies on the more advanced trails, etc. As someone who has been doing it for about 10 years, I did enjoy it more when less people we into it. Since it is very fun, I doubt it will be a passing trend.

Mohonky

Did my first ride Friday in some badlands and was grinning ear to ear. And got a set of Nobl Carbon rims just for fun.

20FbuaV.jpg
Nice rims man, they look awesome. Not sure you'll notice the carbon weight saving on a 50lb bike though lol. These full fat emtbs are heavy beasts.

I know my rims aren't that great and I'll probably end up doing a few upgrades in the future on them myself.

Nice rims man, they look awesome. Not sure you'll notice the carbon weight saving on a 50lb bike though lol. These full fat emtbs are heavy beasts.

I know my rims aren't that great and I'll probably end up doing a few upgrades in the future on them myself.
Those are heavy carbon wheels I'm using for helping with rim damage only, Amish bike has the light carbon wheels.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Old Millennials are no stranger to Maintain Bikes, it like trying asking what the air unit is in a pair Nike Air Max or asking if they ever used a skateboard or inline rollerblades.
or what what an Arcade is
it's in our DNA
I'm surprised they haven't changed much in last 20+ years to be honest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom