• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else think the "bucktooth" grilles on recent BMWs look shite?

What SAY you?

• Hot stuff, like it.

• God awful.

• Potato!

Results are only viewable after voting.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
UGLY
0XCZY9L.jpg
9Sz8YLk.jpg

Tschumi

BMWs are garbage in general. They only appeal to superficial people who care about name than function.

If you're gonna go luxury at least get a Lexus.
Funnily enough, i just rode past a lexus on my bike and it had an even bigger grill than this beemer :p

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
b1ee91424-p90445544-lowres-bmw-conc.jpg

Actually love the rear of the car. Given that BMW has been very close to these concept cars once they hit the road in recent years, I hope it will cary a lot of that into series production.

For comparison:
84a991664-bildschirmfoto-2021-11-30.png

Series car on the left, concept on the right.

Last edited:

chromhound

b1ee91424-p90445544-lowres-bmw-conc.jpg

Actually love the rear of the car. Given that BMW has been very close to these concept cars once they hit the road in recent years, I hope it will cary a lot of that into series production.

For comparison:
84a991664-bildschirmfoto-2021-11-30.png

Series car on the left, concept on the right.
it's pretty much production ready . The rear lights will change and the interior too.
No Flush door handles
mELbkGY.jpg

Last edited:

thefool

Yup, its a monstrosity. Been wanting to finally buy a new car and this shit made me not do it lol
Afaik this is related with the chinese-market, they seem to love the style.

New series 2 is the only one that has escaped this.

Last edited:

Vagswarm

Holy sh*t, I thought those were actual models. Lmao. Reminds me of how the Eclipse went downhill after 1999.

To answer the OP: Definitely awful. Makes you wonder how some of those ideas make it all the way through without someone important ever saying "you know, this looks like sh*t, we shouldn't go with this".

Last edited:
The interior for the ix is very nice, but it's nothing like the Sci-fi interior of the Mercedes EQS. Other car manufacturers need to catch up to this level.

ahawkins_20210404_4511_0035.jpg

:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Can someone explain to me what level this guy is talking about. There's nothing new here in this image that hasn't been done by other car manufacturers in different ways. All they've done here is stick 3 monitors all along the front dashboard with all the LED's you can ask for just like you'll find in other high end luxury cars.

BMWs are garbage in general. They only appeal to superficial people who care about name than function.

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Lexus is just a reskinned Toyota. I know because I have one. I opened my center vanity light the other day to replace the bulbs and first thing I'm staring at is a big fat Toyota logo.
BMW, Audi and Mercedes has them bent over for years. The only time Lexus even gave the germans a run for their money was way back in the 1980s when they brought out the LS line of vehicles. BMW, Mercedes and Audi were shitting bricks because it was a genuine alternative to a 7 Series, S-Class or A8. Motoring journalists the world over were fawning over the LS. However that is no more the case today.

The latest Lexus IS is still rocking a decades old 3.5L Toyota V6. The 3 series is the king of the segment, with Audi and Mercedes following.

Lexus is good for reliability but if money is not an issue and you're looking for the ultimate drivers car, look to either of the german trio.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Lexus is just a reskinned Toyota. I know because I have one. I opened my center vanity light the other day to replace the bulbs and first thing I'm staring at is a big fat Toyota logo.
BMW, Audi and Mercedes has them bent over for years. The only time Lexus even gave the germans a run for their money was way back in the 1980s when they brought out the LS line of vehicles. BMW, Mercedes and Audi were shitting bricks because it was a genuine alternative to a 7 Series, S-Class or A8. Motoring journalists the world over were fawning over the LS. However that is no more the case today.

The latest Lexus IS is still rocking a decades old 3.5L Toyota V6. The 3 series is the king of the segment, with Audi and Mercedes following.

Lexus is good for reliability but if money is not an issue and you're looking for the ultimate drivers car, look to either of the german trio.
Reliability of just too high of a factor for me. BMWs are a nightmare for maintenence.

sankt-Antonio

Fake grills on EVs is like putting a horse tail on an ICE car. So stupid and ugly.
The Grills are closed on BMW EVs, its more a design thing and not a grill anymore. The kidney leads to the car being instantly, even from afar, recognized as a BMW. BMW would be dump as hell giving that up. You will always find some sort of grill shaped thing on BMWs.

And I rather have some sort of design up front then the same aero design driven, grill less frontend. Tesla and Porsche Taycan are already quite similar, image everyone doing just that. Would get boring fast. Imo there is a lack of emotion/character in clean designs like these.

I mean, does the Porsche design evoke enough emotion in you that it carries over the information that the car is vastly more expensive / exotic than the Tesla next to it? I don't think so.
f94746725-bildschirmfoto-2021-12-01.png

The BMW i4 at least carries emotion with its design. Good or bad.
a11347482-bildschirmfoto-2021-12-01.png

At least that's how I feel about all that XD

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
The Grills are closed on BMW EVs, its more a design thing and not a grill anymore. The kidney leads to the car being instantly, even from afar, recognized as a BMW. BMW would be dump as hell giving that up. You will always find some sort of grill shaped thing on BMWs.

And I rather have some sort of design up front then the same aero design driven, grill less frontend. Tesla and Porsche Taycan are already quite similar, image everyone doing just that. Would get boring fast. Imo there is a lack of emotion/character in clean designs like these.

I mean, does the Porsche design evoke enough emotion in you that it carries over the information that the car is vastly more expensive / exotic than the Tesla next to it? I don't think so.

Yeah but putting a huge piece of useless plastic on any product is hideous to me. Especially when it comes from an old product. If air intakes for your old dirty ICE are the signature look of your brand, you fucked up.

sankt-Antonio

Yeah but putting a huge piece of useless plastic on any product is hideous to me. Especially when it comes from an old product. If air intakes for your old dirty ICE are the signature look of your brand, you fucked up.
Its more like the "save" symbol still being a floppy disc. At some point you want to stick to the heritage / design. Its a logo, like the Nike swoosh. They could paint the kidneys on the car or, like their latest concept suggest, make other components take the role of the kidneys.

Like here:
c5c654037-bildschirmfoto-2021-12-01.png

I think having lots of unique designs > then all having aero focused designs.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Not sure how much they will change, but this is what I found out today and it looks horrendous

7357771.jpg

7357773.jpg

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game

The Taycan is a vastly more exciting design than the M3 and i4.

Last edited:
Reliability of just too high of a factor for me. BMWs are a nightmare for maintenence.
JD Power 2021 awards

BMW won in 4 categories vs Lexus wins in 3.
All of them for reliability.

You're maintenance issues with BMWs may extend to older models. In recent years their reliability records have massively improved.

^^ hopefully they fix it in the LCI

As a BMW forum moderator, seriously I have a 72 page thread in my forum about this topic on the new 4 series, Ive/we've beaten it to death.
And have a few member who defend it. Its slightly growing on me on the m4 due to the dark less shiny horizontal slats and only in dark colors.

The giant grill works okay on the bigger cars. I dont HATE it on the X or even the new XM. It fits the bigger cars well and I think on the IX, they have worked around the grill so it doesn't look slapped on
But to then surround the damn thing with giant LED light strips.....its tacky as hell, like the MB led emblems.

My bmws consist of
2003 supercharged E46 m3, Ive also had a another E46 supercharged 330ci(below) , 2003 X5 4.4, 2007 e92, 2016 f34( yes the gt), 2009 e89 , 2001 z3 m coupe, e30 325is(w s52), another e30 325
KXCoDrN.jpg

pAvkbTr.jpg

DEZMStB.jpg

F8ppwAx.jpg

nUeu6Zv.jpg

HRrxa0S.jpg

I could go on and on...to show you my BMW steez.

Show me your god damn BMWS RIGHT NOW!

Can I have one of your cars?

i just wish it didn't look like it was wearing a kinky nose-hook!

Thank you for your thoughtful input! Super appreciated.

I personally think BMW should not have fucked with the shape of their headlights, and yeah these grills are too far... I think they should have paused their whole front-end here:

1999-bmw-328i-photo-5959-s-original.jpg

...this also okay:

HB_La6yCCDUScTEG4_BuOZumriOqLfNnBj8dSwv_SL89YMHkdZFZS2aMdRgJXBZvw7o0nRFYRIHVPL4Zl4xAnoWqpCDES8vHFOur2oYAarC7HJmlxmlMGUduIWLHdsCM1jpGBjKWg_x9nFJ32mUGcVAC8gkOeFNpMN4IuG8Sg8WGKyV3GVpOBLLRLas
🤣🤣🤣 You should pause for a sec to give your head a bit of a wobble. Times change and so does design and BMW design has seen them consistently exceed sales records year on year so clearly they're doing something right.

We in the BMW community do not like the new grill.

Domagoj Dukec said, “You can see that on something as polarising like the kidneys on the 4 Series, 20 per cent of people are liking it.

1 in 5
'We in the BMW community' is a fraction of BMW customers.
Most BMW customers don't hang around forums all day long.
Don't like the new BMWs then don't buy them 🤣🤣🤣

thefool

Why you comparing toyotas with rwd cars?
Bmw has always been an affordable sporty luxury brand

Last edited:

thefool

^^ hopefully they fix it in the LCI

As a BMW forum moderator, seriously I have a 72 page thread in my forum about this topic on the new 4 series, Ive/we've beaten it to death.
And have a few member who defend it. Its slightly growing on me on the m4 due to the dark less shiny horizontal slats and only in dark colors.

The giant grill works okay on the bigger cars. I dont HATE it on the X or even the new XM. It fits the bigger cars well and I think on the IX, they have worked around the grill so it doesn't look slapped on
But to then surround the damn thing with giant LED light strips.....its tacky as hell, like the MB led emblems.

My bmws consist of
2003 supercharged E46 m3, Ive also had a another E46 supercharged 330ci(below) , 2003 X5 4.4, 2007 e92, 2016 f34( yes the gt), 2009 e89 , 2001 z3 m coupe, e30 325is(w s52), another e30 325
KXCoDrN.jpg

pAvkbTr.jpg

DEZMStB.jpg

F8ppwAx.jpg

nUeu6Zv.jpg

HRrxa0S.jpg

I could go on and on...to show you my BMW steez.

Show me your god damn BMWS RIGHT NOW!

Beautiful.

Liljagare

Who cares, BMW alongside german brands are just sheit nowadays.

Real car owners have long since moved on from them and the Benz.

Just had new wheels fitted. Sticking with 18s for now. Might get 19s in future. Just very unsure right now on ride quality and car would sit an inch higher and look like a roller skate unless fitting coilovers which is a bit more expensive.
More mods coming soon.

Luminar-3.jpg

Luminar-1.jpg

Luminar-2.jpg

SHOW ME YOUR GOD DAMN LEXUS !!!!

Last edited:

Tschumi

Just had new wheels fitted. Sticking with 18s for now. Might get 19s in future. Just very unsure right now on ride quality and car would sit an inch higher and look like a roller skate unless fitting coilovers which is a bit more expensive.
More mods coming soon.

Luminar-3.jpg

Luminar-1.jpg

Luminar-2.jpg

SHOW ME YOUR GOD DAMN LEXUS !!!!
I like your wheels!

I have difficulty thinking of Lexus, it's probably not fair, i just grew up in Germany and my concept of cars in this class is limited to those brands.. taxis were all Mercedes in Berlin.. anyway, I'd be stoked to own a car like this one i ain't gonna lie.

But i am so enslaved by nostalgia that I'd rather have a late 90s vw golf over anything made this century lol

images

Noice Thats Nice GIF

JD Power 2021 awards

BMW won in 4 categories vs Lexus wins in 3.
All of them for reliability.

You're maintenance issues with BMWs may extend to older models. In recent years their reliability records have massively improved.

My F80 M3 has never given me any issues and by all accounts that particular platform is very reliable (other than the crank hub thing). My beef with BMW is the way they are put together. Like so many annoying squeeks and rattles. The japanese brands are much better in this regards. Maybe BMW solved this problem with the G80 M3 but I'm not buying car that looks like that.

sankt-Antonio

Who cares, BMW alongside german brands are just sheit nowadays.

Real car owners have long since moved on from them and the Benz.
Real car owners? What's that?

On Topic:

Top Gear's saloon of the year: BMW i4 M50. Funny, as they where also jumping on the "klick generating" bandwagon of hating on the design. Guess that's all it ever was.

Liljagare

Real car owners? What's that?

On Topic:

Top Gear's saloon of the year: BMW i4 M50. Funny, as they where also jumping on the "klick generating" bandwagon of hating on the design. Guess that's all it ever was.

People who actually care about what they drive?

Unlike brand whores.

And, really, Top Gear, the show that has continously missed the major car of the year for the, well, since they started.

BMW = I am driving the most costly car on the road, when it comes to repairs, and service. It's a shit car even compared to KIA.

Mercedes = I am the moronic big brother of BMW.

Porsche = Mom?

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

Unlike brand whores.

And, really, Top Gear, the show that has continously missed the major car of the year for the, well, since they started.

BMW = I am driving the most costly car on the road, when it comes to repairs, and service. It's a shit car even compared to KIA.

Porsche = Mom?
I don't know what you are talking about. Don't brand whores care what they drive? lol.

By your lack of understanding "anything car" I assume you represent the subset of people BMW has no intention to chase after.
I would bet you have neither sit in, much less drove, a new BMW, Merc or Porsche.

T8SC

Unlike brand whores.

Porsche = Mom?

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Did you really just compare BMW to KIA and say that KIA is better? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

tumblr_p9eg2tVbAe1toxy7eo1_400.gifv

Top Bottom