• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else watch 3% on Netflix? Only 4 seasons total and it's surprisingly good

Kev Kev

Gonna give myself some thread fail cushion and assume that I am the only person in the world who actually watches this show, but 🤷‍♂️ what the hell, here goes nothing...

So, I've been a fan of the show since season 1, and it has it's ups and downs but overall it's really well done. I think it's Brazilian Portuguese so it's subtitled. But the acting, script, sets and music are really great! Season 3 was a huge dip in quality but it set up a lot of plot lines to be resolved in season 4 (not everything was resolved perfectly, but they mostly did a good job... I have no doubt they were rushed by Netflix, seeing as how so many shows get cancelled these days).

Quick plot synopsis: The world has all but ended, and 97% of the remaining population all live in this dust bowl, piece of shit, mega slum called The Inland, while the remaining 3% live on a lush, paradise-utopia island called The Offshore. At 20 years of age, Inlanders go through The Process (a series of tests) to earn their way into The Offshore. Only 3% of those who go through The Process will pass and be granted citizenship to The Offshore. Fuckery ensues and shit gets intense...

There is a lot of clever writing, some action, some really, really good acting, great drama that I actually gave a shit about, and over all it sends a pretty unbiased message to people on all sides of the social and political spectrums. I feel like you saw an all sides approach to addressing concerns inequality, justice and morality. At times I found myself agreeing with the perspective of the Offshore'ers, and other times I found myself taking the side of The Inlanders. But then within those groups exist even more sub-groups who don't all agree with each other, much like we see in the real world. Things get really interesting, and it's a bumpy ride (i think an actor or two bailed before the end of the show) but with only 4 seasons, I really have to recommend giving it a try. You might be pleasantly surprised,.

Just finished season 4 and I was really happy with the ending. I'm assuming Netlfix was cancelling it soon so they wrapped it up quick, and that kind of shows, but not too much tbh. I think they did a good job with what they had. But I've never enjoyed a foreign show so much! I usually don't get into them but this one really captured me. I was just wondering if anyone else watched it. If you haven't, do yourself a favor and give it a try. If anything, just to check out the sets they put together for The Inland. They really went all out making it look like this weird yet wonderful mega slum, filled with oddities, bizzaro shit and lots of grime and dirt. Then you have The Offshore where everything is perfect and clean. They did a good job all around for this show and I kind of hope it opens the door for more foreign TV to come to Netflix.

Prison Mike

Banned
ORU4Luo.gif

fatty

Gonna give myself some thread fail cushion and assume that I am the only person in the world who actually watches this show, but 🤷‍♂️ what the hell, here goes nothing...

So, I've been a fan of the show since season 1, and it has it's ups and downs but overall it's really well done. I think it's Brazilian Portuguese so it's subtitled. But the acting, script, sets and music are really great! Season 3 was a huge dip in quality but it set up a lot of plot lines to be resolved in season 4 (not everything was resolved perfectly, but they mostly did a good job... I have no doubt they were rushed by Netflix, seeing as how so many shows get cancelled these days).

Quick plot synopsis: The world has all but ended, and 97% of the remaining population all live in this dust bowl, piece of shit, mega slum called The Inland, while the remaining 3% live on a lush, paradise-utopia island called The Offshore. At 20 years of age, Inlanders go through The Process (a series of tests) to earn their way into The Offshore. Only 3% of those who go through The Process will pass and be granted citizenship to The Offshore. Fuckery ensues and shit gets intense...

There is a lot of clever writing, some action, some really, really good acting, great drama that I actually gave a shit about, and over all it sends a pretty unbiased message to people on all sides of the social and political spectrums. I feel like you saw an all sides approach to addressing concerns inequality, justice and morality. At times I found myself agreeing with the perspective of the Offshore'ers, and other times I found myself taking the side of The Inlanders. But then within those groups exist even more sub-groups who don't all agree with each other, much like we see in the real world. Things get really interesting, and it's a bumpy ride (i think an actor or two bailed before the end of the show) but with only 4 seasons, I really have to recommend giving it a try. You might be pleasantly surprised,.

Just finished season 4 and I was really happy with the ending. I'm assuming Netlfix was cancelling it soon so they wrapped it up quick, and that kind of shows, but not too much tbh. I think they did a good job with what they had. But I've never enjoyed a foreign show so much! I usually don't get into them but this one really captured me. I was just wondering if anyone else watched it. If you haven't, do yourself a favor and give it a try. If anything, just to check out the sets they put together for The Inland. They really went all out making it look like this weird yet wonderful mega slum, filled with oddities, bizzaro shit and lots of grime and dirt. Then you have The Offshore where everything is perfect and clean. They did a good job all around for this show and I kind of hope it opens the door for more foreign TV to come to Netflix.

I have not seen it but it sounds very interesting. I am going to add it to my watch list. 4 seasons sounds good as well as it doesn’t require a huge commitment.

Need something to get into while waiting for new elpisodes of Narcos and Ozark.

Kev Kev

4 seasons sounds good as well as it doesn’t require a huge commitment.
agreed. i hate shows that go on for too long. youll know after the first few episodes whether its for you or not. come back and let me know what you think. ive been wanting other people to talk about it with

I watched the 1st season when it came out. Was on the look out for 4k content at the time. I enjoyed it dispite the low budget etc. Fun show. Season 2 was not so great though and I haven't got around to it since. It's just sitting there on my vast netflix watch list.

Kev Kev

I watched the 1st season when it came out. Was on the look out for 4k content at the time. I enjoyed it dispite the low budget etc. Fun show. Season 2 was not so great though and I haven't got around to it since. It's just sitting there on my vast netflix watch list.
yeah you wont make it through season 3 then lol. i thought season 2 was better than 1 personally, but season 3 is the low point of the show. i almost gave up on it after 3, but in season 4 things finally started to pay off and they did some really interesting things with the plot and characters. maybe give it another go, its a pretty reasonably short series. i love that bc ill be happy to watch this one a couple more time. i hate when shows go on for more than 5 or 6 seasons.

Last edited:
yeah you wont make it through season 3 then lol. i thought season 2 was better than 1 personally, but season 3 is the low point of the show. i almost gave up on it after 3, but in season 4 things finally started to pay off and they did some really interesting things with the plot and characters. maybe give it another go, its a pretty reasonably short series. i love that bc ill be happy to watch this one a couple more time. i hate when shows go on for more than 5 or 6 seasons.
Oh I'll probably try to finish it at some point. It's just that there are so many other shows! I have massive watch lists on 3 different streaming services. I really need to dump at least one of them.

Kev Kev

I saw season 1. Wasn't the main girl like 35 playing a teenager? It just seemed like such a convoluted set-up.
I had no idea. She looks 20 and she’s playing a 20 year old so...

here she is (shes Fine tho, andyou get to see her tits a couple of times through out the show 😃)
3daf8281-a553-4a99-967c-9abff7a518d2.jpg

The show isn’t convoluted either. Pretty straight forward stuff, but you can tell they had some behind the scenes fuckery going on with Netflix probably trying to shit can it early.

im glad they got the opportunity to finish it. Not perfect but it’s worth it for 4 short season imo

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I dunno
if the plan is to screen 100 kids via complex, incredibly elaborate, and nonsensical tests to find 3 worth joining a sterile elite collective while giving hundreds of thousands of poor people hope for their kids....that's pretty convoluted to me. But maybe the other seasons flesh it out a bit.

And yeah, she does look pretty good :p

finowns

I’ll Check it out OP. I’ll also recommend a Netflix show called Freud about Sigmund Freud but it’s in German and he gets caught up in conspiracy to kill the Emperor.

Kev Kev

I’ll Check it out OP. I’ll also recommend a Netflix show called Freud about Sigmund Freud but it’s in German and he gets caught up in conspiracy to kill the Emperor.
ok ill check it out i was just looking for something new to watch. ill let you know how it goes!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I watched maybe 3 episodes and gave up.

I can't get into sub-titled shows. The option is to listen to dubbed in English actors/actresses and it's awful. I preferred the sub titled way but don't want to devote hours into a series staring at text.

Gave up.

Kev Kev

I watched maybe 3 episodes and gave up.

I can't get into sub-titled shows. The option is to listen to dubbed in English actors/actresses and it's awful. I preferred the sub titled way but don't want to devote hours into a series staring at text.

Gave up.
dude i feel you. ive tried a few others since this one and i cant do it. not sure why this one captured me but it did.

i hate having to look away from the actors and all the things going on.

G-Bus

Banned
Watched the first season when it came out. Haven't really thought about it since.

Knowing it ends on the 4th season might compell me to watch it all. I did enjoy the first season.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
dude i feel you. ive tried a few others since this one and i cant do it. not sure why this one captured me but it did.

i hate having to look away from the actors and all the things going on.
Ya. Cool premise to a series though. I think it was the first show where all these people are getting tested to pass and get accepted. Was a cool premise of haves and have nots.

If the voice acting was better I would have stuck around. Terrible. And I remember the voice overs for fringe characters and random chitter chatter was even worse. Makes sense as a show isn't going to devote tons of money for English voice overs for fringe lines, but it was bad.

Fbh

Might give it a chance the next time I have nothing to watch.
I'm always up for a good foreign show. Dark (German) and Kingdom (Korean) are some of my favourite Netflix originals.

I've actually heard about it before but the premise sounded a lot like one of those "young adult" book adaptations which was a big turnoff.
Is there a chance I'll like this if I can't stand stuff like The Hunger Games, Maze Runner, Divergent, etc?

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm always up for a good foreign show. Dark (German) and Kingdom (Korean) are some of my favourite Netflix originals.

I've actually heard about it before but the premise sounded a lot like one of those "young adult" book adaptations which was a big turnoff.
Is there a chance I'll like this if I can't stand stuff like The Hunger Games, Maze Runner, Divergent, etc?
No.

It's not full on tween emo but it's close.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Fbh

Plantoid

Funny thing is I understand portuguese, the premise is great and I love the script, but I can't agree that the acting is any good, the older cast does well but the younger stars fail to deliver convincing acting

Stoped by ep 5 or 6 on the first season, might give it a try again

Kev Kev

Lol it’s not tween emo at all, don’t listen to that guy

but I do have to say if you hated those then this might not be for you. I’d say give an episode or two. If your not at least interested after that then forget it

Last edited:
Top Bottom