• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else watching Squid Game on Netflix?

Kev Kev

Came out yesterday. I'm only on episode 2 or 3 but this show is insaaaane. There is a pretty good story to go along with too. I'm really loving it so far. Check it out if you don't mind reading subtitles.

I highly recommend going in blind, with no trailers, but this one only shows a few cut up scenes from the first episode, so you can watch it without too much being spoiled. But I always prefer to go in with zero expectation, and this is a show that really is better if you go into it without knowing the plot.

But if you want to get an idea of what it's about, this teaser will give a taste without spoiling too too much...

Also please mark spoilers because it's brand new and not a lot of people have finished it yet (including myself). Thanks!

Last edited:

Kev Kev

I just started today at lunch and just finished episode 2.

It’s actually a really good show so far and the acting has been on point . I keep forgetting these are all actors at times as you’re sucked into their respective life stories.
Yeah the individual story’s are surprisingly interesting and engaging. I don’t sleep on this foreign stuff anymore. Some of it is really damn good, if you can get past reading subtitles.

Kev Kev

just finished it. not bad! i was pleasantly surprised by this and definitely recommend trying it out. its nothing amazing, but worth the ride. they dove more into the characters than i thought they would, so that was cool. and it looks like they definitely want a season 2 to happen. id be down for a second or third, nothing too crazy long tho. there still a lot of story to tell i think.

Last edited:

vpance

Seen the first 3 eps and I'm liking it a lot. Has the right amount of seriousness and dark humor that I didn't get from Alice in Borderlands.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Watched the first three episodes and thought it was pretty good. The second episode solidified it as more serious than I was expecting given the title and some of the sets and costumes.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Oh and the money seems pitifully low, I was thinking it was tens of millions of dollars but it seems like it's a fraction of that.

Kev Kev

The girl they introduce in episode 3 is the most annoying character ever. Shut the fuck up lady
yeah its really interesting to watch the general body language, facial reactions, tone/inflection of voice from foreigners. especially asians. they just seems to be communicating on this whole other plane of existence lol. i dont know if its just acting or if they really act like that in everyday interactions (maybe a little of both?), but its really interesting to view. but yeah, that being said, she is annoying and i believe she is supposed to be an annoying character.

the guy with the tat on his face also annoyed me, but only because he just doesnt look that big or intimidating to me lol. he looks fat, slow and soft, so i dont know why he was feared as the tough guy.

Girl at my work's coffee shop said that it was good. Probably check it out.

Seems like a whacky Korean Hunger Games... which itself was based off of Battle Royale.

pel1300

The girl they introduce in episode 3 is the most annoying character ever. Shut the fuck up lady
I'm on episode 3 now and she's making every scene she is in unbearable to watch. I really hope her character dies soon.

That bathroom scene which was meant to be comedic was just torture to listen to.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

I'm on episode 3 now and she's making every scene she is in unbearable to watch. I really hope her character dies soon.

That bathroom scene which was meant to be comedic was just torture to listen to.
I know. I hated her so bad I wanted her to die in real life.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Came out yesterday. I'm only on episode 2 or 3 but this show is insaaaane. There is a pretty good story to go along with too. I'm really loving it so far. Check it out if you don't mind reading subtitles.

I highly recommend going in blind, with no trailers, but this one only shows a few cut up scenes from the first episode, so you can watch it without too much being spoiled. But I always prefer to go in with zero expectation, and this is a show that really is better if you go into it without knowing the plot.

But if you want to get an idea of what it's about, this teaser will give a taste without spoiling too too much...

Also please mark spoilers because it's brand new and not a lot of people have finished it yet (including myself). Thanks!

Gonna give it a go for sure

Atrus

Gold Member
Finished this series after a week. What I like about this series the most is that it can surprise me with the plot and keep me hooked even though we've seen many similar types of stories before. The characters were great and well acted, and there are some nice surprises to boot including that of Front Man and that Indian actor.

The only downside for me occurs later on when some typical moustache twirling rich guys show up with their Iron Chef style English dubs.

I look forward to see where they can take this story in Season 2 given how key the personal stories were to the plot, especially of the main character, his growth, and his relationships with others

Dr_Salt

Just watched the first episode and felt it was alright. Seems like a Gantz, Alice in Borderlands, Battle Royale, Kaiji ripoff. Does it get any better?

Last edited:

Yoda

FInished it. Overall 8.5/10. Would recommend.

+ Similar to Alice in Borderland, better pacing and more relatable characters
+ Writing is generally pretty tight, a few segments could've used extra trimming (ex: we didn't need 10 different scenes to establish the protagonist is a bum)
+ Most of the major turns in the story weren't too predictable

- Ending was a bit predictable
- Doesn't heavily explain how the games are setup/why/etc... lots of mystery (similar to AoB) and while that helps build hype for S2, it's generally very hard to write good pay-off for mysteries like this (see Lost)
- No political messages (granted it's produced in Korea, so that's most likely why)

just finished it last night.. fucking intense movie!! there are so many things going on here with the perception of our daily lives. almost like parasite level, especially the end which makes you really think. A+

Last edited:
Finished it a few days ago. It was addicting and a great show. I watched the whole series with English dubbed. No idea why people are saying subtitles only. I admit some of the English voice acting was cringy / annoying. But I enjoyed it.

Kev Kev

Finished it a few days ago. It was addicting and a great show. I watched the whole series with English dubbed. No idea why people are saying subtitles only. I admit some of the English voice acting was cringy / annoying. But I enjoyed it.
ill have to try the english dubs. they are usually not good tho. plus i like to hear the emotion and tone of the actors voice and how it lines up with their body language and everything. reading subs takes me out of the experience but so does the english dubs, so its just a lesser of two evils thing for me. ill give it a shot on a rewatch tho (y)

Watched first 3, this show is really depressing lol I thought it was gonna be more comedy but they go into character development pretty well and damn. I like it so far but this could have been a comedy if this was altered into a movie and all the character development removed and would have still done great.

Last edited:

pel1300

Watched the first episode yesterday and it was great, really looking forward to how this will go on.

The Korean and European stuff on netflix >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The woke crap they make in house in America.
What are the good European shows on netflix?

bitbydeath

Watched the first ep, it had a very slow start but I liked the old man.

squid-game-boss-23092021-4.gif

i enjoyed it quite alot...has alot of heart but i think you lose some of the turns of the main characters in translation
the visual look and costumes of the series is top notch

Hari Seldon

Finished it. I liked it a lot, but damn the acting is highly variable in quality lol. Why are the fake rich Americans so fucking bad? Are they Koreans playing Americans? Also that shrill girl was really bad lol.

FInished it. Overall 8.5/10. Would recommend.

+ Similar to Alice in Borderland, better pacing and more relatable characters
+ Writing is generally pretty tight, a few segments could've used extra trimming (ex: we didn't need 10 different scenes to establish the protagonist is a bum)
+ Most of the major turns in the story weren't too predictable

- Ending was a bit predictable
- Doesn't heavily explain how the games are setup/why/etc... lots of mystery (similar to AoB) and while that helps build hype for S2, it's generally very hard to write good pay-off for mysteries like this (see Lost)
- No political messages (granted it's produced in Korea, so that's most likely why)
Absolutely hillarious last point. The entire point of the series is to show income inequality that in itself is very fucking political.

Hardensoul

Loved it, would recommend. Nice cameo by Gong Yoo (Train to Busan). Acting was great, show kept me engrossed - if I didn't start show so late at night I would've binged it in one sitting.

I finish it the other day. Pretty good.
As always, do those Asian shows get all the foreign character from near pub? Awful acting lol.

the Pakistan guy was cool 😭

Top Bottom