• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else watching Squid Game on Netflix?

GymWolf

I seriously can't even, and don't get the point of these gratuitously shockingly violent films and shows. It feels like one of those things i missed the chance to develop an interest in during my a-typical late teens. I don't think it's funny, i don't think it's awesome, i don't think it's instructive, i don't think it's inspiring, i don't think it's educational, i don't think it's a slice of life, i don't think it's stylish, i just think it's visual clickbait. Dolla dolla bills y'all...

Edit: I should insert here the point that daily life in South Korea is pretty horrible for certain groups on certain levels, that it has huge problems with abuse, suicide and inequality, that in that sense this show is relevant, so i do give it props for that.

I also totally don't get the appeal of getting drunk every weekend and puking with a bunch of guys. I don't get the reasoning behind the thought process: "this Friday won't be complete, this work week won't be capped off, if i don't find some group of people somewhere to go get drunk with". Like i don't know why anyone would like that unless they associated healthy friendships with bar crawls. It all seems like a very globalisation kinda deal.
You must be fun to be around during morgue's parties.

Tschumi

You must be fun to be around during morgue's parties.
lol, fair call

I'm fun to be around, i've even been known to make funny jokes about bodyPump licensed music, I'm fun with pretty much everything but knocking back bruskies with rob gronkowski and co and watching movies that shove senseless murder in ur face

...and wearing crocs. fuck crocs.

Denton

Fun, fucked up show.

I wonder if Squid games were real, and broadcast on mainstream TV/service like Netflix, would it be the most watched programme in history?

Humanity is so fucked that likely yeah.

The cop reminded me of Joel Kinnaman. Like his long lost asian twin.

ViolentP

I seriously can't even, and don't get the point of these gratuitously shockingly violent films and shows. It feels like one of those things i missed the chance to develop an interest in during my a-typical late teens. I don't think it's funny, i don't think it's awesome, i don't think it's instructive, i don't think it's inspiring, i don't think it's educational, i don't think it's a slice of life, i don't think it's stylish, i just think it's visual clickbait. Dolla dolla bills y'all...

Edit: I should insert here the point that daily life in South Korea is pretty horrible for certain groups on certain levels, that it has huge problems with abuse, suicide and inequality, that in that sense this show is relevant, so i do give it props for that.

I also totally don't get the appeal of getting drunk every weekend and puking with a bunch of guys. I don't get the reasoning behind the thought process: "this Friday won't be complete, this work week won't be capped off, if i don't find some group of people somewhere to go get drunk with". Like i don't know why anyone would like that unless they associated healthy friendships with bar crawls. It all seems like a very globalisation kinda deal.
How did this become about you?

Fbh

Damn, Episode 6 was brutal

Korea ripping off Japanese entertainment concepts again? Shocking.

After trying to watch Sweet Home, I can't get over the awful presentation of Korean shows. Battle Royale was a big "deadly game" story when it came out, but Stephen King's The Long Walk was an even earlier example from the 80s that's having it's own film adaptation coming out within the next few years(maybe). Cant wait to see kpop fans call it out for ripping off Squid Game.

How is it a japanese entertainment rippoff when even you yourself say Stephen King was doing the whole "deadly game" all the way back in the 80's?

Last edited:

Pejo

Just finished EP6 with the gf tonight. Lost some good ones today. Curious what happens to the annoying woman that couldn't find a partner for the marble game. I doubt they'd kill her off screen, so I'm sure she's at least going to have a hand (indirectly or otherwise) in the gangster guy dying.

Fun show, but it doesn't really remind me of Alice in Borderland all that much beyond the obvious games angle. Manga/Anime have been doing this type of story for years now, and each one still has an opportunity to stay fresh or explore different angles/ideas.

I'm enjoying this more than stuff that hollywood has put out the last few years, that's for sure.

BigLee74

Watched it all. And I don’t know why because the acting was generally bad, and the dubbing hilariously bad.

Had a good laugh at the robot in the first game. Cross eyed or what? 😂

hemo memo

Gold Member
It is my first time ever Korean show I watch fully. It is good. The same person who recommended me Squid also recommended me Alice in Borderland and god that was a waste of time.

Fbh

It is my first time ever Korean show I watch fully. It is good. The same person who recommended me Squid also recommended me Alice in Borderland and god that was a waste of time.

Yeah I've seen some people upset about this blowing up when Alice in Borderland didn't.
But aside from the deadly game concept they aren't much alike. Squid Game seems to have a more universal appeal, Alice in Borderland felt like it specifically aimed at teenagers and weebs.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Yeah I've seen some people upset about this blowing up when Alice in Borderland didn't.
But aside from the deadly game concept they aren't much alike. Squid Game seems to have a more universal appeal, Alice in Borderland felt like it specifically aimed at teenagers and weebs.
Squid feels like high production and aside from Korean overacting, the show is really great.

Reactions: Fbh

Catphish

Just finished it. Watched it in Korean with subtitles.

The show was generally outstanding. The story, pacing, tension, ebb and flow, very well done.

However, the ending...

was a fucking joke. Just when Gi-hun had the opportunity to redeem himself as a father, which was the whole fucking point of his arc, he bails on her again to seek revenge against the game. Stupid.

Also, If Gi-hun never touched his prize money, how was he not killed for the debts he owed and apparently never paid?

Was Rian Johnson a guest director for this bullshit? What. The. Fuck.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

4jsxcvbh0pr71.jpg

GymWolf

Watched the first episode and loved it.

I particularly liked the acting of the slapping guy at the station and the hilarious old guy.

The protagonist is kinda of an unlikeable shithead...

Last edited:

Yoboman

Yeah how did this happen? Artificially through bots on social media? It's a OK show for sure. Much better than the usual but still..

I feel it's a bandwagon thing

I have to admit, and not proud about it but I almost didn't watch it because it's so popular. Stupid right
Visually appealing and stands out from the crowd, fun concept, good trailer on the Netflix interface and easy to imitate and make jokes for on social media

Not rocket science to figure out how its doing well

• Thoughtful

Pejo

Well the gf and I finished watching this last night. I hated everything after the bridge game. It's almost like the final episode was written by a totally different person/team than the rest of the show. God dammit I hate when the endings to good shows are fucking stupid.

I don't get the hair thing. The red just made him look like a god damn clown. I called the twist early though. It was pretty obvious since the old man was # 0001. After everything the mc went through, he decides to fight the system instead of spending his days with his daughter? Fucked up. Even the titular squid game part was lame as fuck for what it could have been. I'd have written the entire part from the dinner onward completely differently. Also, the cop bro ended up being entirely worthless and died (presumably) like a bitch. He really had no plan going into this though, so I'm surprised that the writing had him survive until the end.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
saw the first two episodes 2nd one was not as suspenseful as the first but it was a nice break from the 1st one hopefully they'll play a game in the next episode i'll probably have some free time on the weekend to continue. I'm liking it so far

Xyphie

They've should've cut the police officer storyline, it really didn't add much to the series.

Good show overall. They really shouldn't do a second season, this is the kind of show that probably only works as a one-off.

The good parts are extremely good, the production design, pacing for the early part, performances of the main cast and general plot just all work so well. So when some mediocre things appear towards the end they really stand out as poor.

Still an absolute top 5 show for 2021.

Mossybrew

They've should've cut the police officer storyline, it really didn't add much to the series.

Good show overall. They really shouldn't do a second season, this is the kind of show that probably only works as a one-off.

Disagree with your spoiler, I think
it added an interesting perspective, allowing you to go behind the scenes a bit, added some fun tension in those scenes and also the hope that the game operators might be exposed, even if that hope was dashed in the end.

Keihart

Well the gf and I finished watching this last night. I hated everything after the bridge game. It's almost like the final episode was written by a totally different person/team than the rest of the show. God dammit I hate when the endings to good shows are fucking stupid.

I don't get the hair thing. The red just made him look like a god damn clown. I called the twist early though. It was pretty obvious since the old man was # 0001. After everything the mc went through, he decides to fight the system instead of spending his days with his daughter? Fucked up. Even the titular squid game part was lame as fuck for what it could have been. I'd have written the entire part from the dinner onward completely differently. Also, the cop bro ended up being entirely worthless and died (presumably) like a bitch. He really had no plan going into this though, so I'm surprised that the writing had him survive until the end.
Agree, the epilogue was complete shit.

I have the feeling that the ending was different and someone pushed to leave it open for a second season.

The main character is completely out of character by the end, really rubbed me the wrong way.

GymWolf

I think i'm gonna finish this one tonight, hopefully the ending is not as bad as you guys said.

Are sweet home and that alice in wonderland any decent?! I'm kinda in the mood for some asian gory stuff.

Keihart

I think i'm gonna finish this one tonight, hopefully the ending is not as bad as you guys said.

Are sweet home and that alice in wonderland any decent?! I'm kinda in the mood for some asian gory stuff.
Did you already watched Extracurricular?
If you didn't and want more South Korean thriller stuff, go for it.
I think it's better than Squid Game or any other Korean series i've watched honestly.

(an alternative if you already watched that is Strangers From Hell)

Last edited:

GymWolf

I think it's better than Squid Game or any other Korean series i've watched honestly.
Is it on netflix? Is it on the same genre of squid game? I don't care if it is just serious business.

Pejo

Sweet Home was really good too, but a different type of show altogether. I'll have to check out Extracurricular.

Keihart

Is it on netflix? Is it on the same genre of squid game? I don't care if it is just serious business.
Both are Netflix originals.

Sweet home is more like I am hero or #Alive or something similar.
I can't recommend Extracurricular enough tho.

Extracurricular.

Strangers from hell

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I might give it a try. But every time I've tried watching subtitled or dubbed over foreign shows, I bail ship.

The NF show called 3% had a good premise too. I kept switching from subtitles to dub trying to determine the best way to watch and neither clicked.

Keihart

I might give it a try. But every time I've tried watching subtitled or dubbed over foreign shows, I bail ship.

The NF show called 3% had a good premise too. I kept switching from subtitles to dub trying to determine the best way to watch and neither clicked.
I hope you learn to read subs as second nature, you are missing a whole bunch awesome movies from other countries.
Dubs rarely measure up.

Fbh

Have you watched Kingdom?

It's a zombie show set in early 1600 Korea with some political intrigue elements and really nice production values.
I'm usually really tired of zombies but this one definitely stood out from the rest

Well the creator originally said he didn't write it for multiple seasons and he didn't want to make a season 2. But more recently he seems to be changing his mind.
Given the way this blew up there's no way Netflix won't try to milk the hell out of it.

GymWolf

It's a zombie show set in early 1600 Korea with some political intrigue elements and really nice production values.
I'm usually really tired of zombies but this one definitely stood out from the rest

Well the creator originally said he didn't write it for multiple seasons and he didn't want to make a season 2. But more recently he seems to be changing his mind.
Given the way this blew up there's no way Netflix won't try to milk the hell out of it.

yep, already watched that one.

GymWolf

well at least squid game had a great first season unless other milked successful stuff like casa de papel...jesus how stupid was that thing...

NinjaBoiX

I’ve watched 4 episodes now, yeah it’s pretty good but it’s not blowing me away. It’s no Better Call Saul.

I dunno, it’s super intriguing, that’s the best thing I can say about it. But it’s also kind of trashy and hammy.

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t enjoying it, but I was expecting more after all the hype tbh.

Kev Kev

I’ve watched 4 episodes now, yeah it’s pretty good but it’s not blowing me away. It’s no Better Call Saul.

I dunno, it’s super intriguing, that’s the best thing I can say about it. But it’s also kind of trashy and hammy.

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t enjoying it, but I was expecting more after all the hype tbh.
yeah it has been hyped way out of proportion. i think intriguing is a great word to describe it. just seeing korean culture was part of what i enjoyed about it. seeing their apartments, how they eat, how they act, and that kind of stuff. all that and seeing they have the same money problems that many of us westerners have is part of what has made people so intrigued, i think.

Last edited:

Fbh

Finished it.
Overall really fun show but I have to agree the ending was lame

- Setting up this extremely elaborate game concept only to have the final game be an excuse for them to beat eachother up didn't really make sense.

-Gi hun felt out of character in the end. Should have shown a more gradual transformation of his character instead of an instant radical change right at the end.

-The entire epilogue would have worked much better if they hadn't been set free and then voluntarily gone back in episode 2.

-The way it's now ending with Gi Hun deciding to neglect his daughter again to seek revenge for a game he willingly participated in while knowing the stakes just makes him kinda unlikable, not sure if that was the point.

-The entire cop sub story was kinda pointless

Last edited:

Keihart

I'm telling you guys, for all the hype that Squid Game got, Extracurricular is being terrible underrated, give it a shot ...or else.
giphy.gif

It's a guaranteed jolly good time
iu

The last two episodes were a bit on the mediocre side. I really loved the show up until those last episodes. Still good and worth watching, but it will likely become another TV show that overstays it's welcome with a few too many seasons

Last edited:

GymWolf

Lol i thought i was finishing but it is not a 6 episode serial, lol...

This shit is super depressing tho, the 6th episode was sad as hell.

now i've finished it. i overall enjoyed it but still don't see what all the rage is about...yeah it's a good show and would love Season 2 but i don't get why everyone is praising it to high heavens. there are many shows out there just as good, if not better, that deserve even just half the praise.

GymWolf

My only problem with the serial is that
in the 5th episode the black mask guy say that he want parity during games, for him is the most important thing, but almost all games are unfair for a reason or another for certain people.
What's the point of starving people and starting violence if you are against what the people suffer outside of the game in the real world?!

I hope he was just talking big to scare the other soldier in that scene because black mask dude, your games are unfair AF.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Squid Game is fantastic.

Love the juxtaposition of the inhumane and harsh game conditions with the sentimental backstories of the participants. You can relate to these characters as they vote to continue the game, as each of them has so much more to lose than their own lives. Each contestant driven by his devastated self-image, their crippled sense of self-worth, hoping for one more chance, one last chance to redeem themselves. The final choice hinging on a guy who is terminally ill... it just has so many layers to it.

The visual storytelling is absolutely brilliant, the creepy surreal imagery of the game environment is such a stark contrast to the drab everyday life of the contestants. It complements the isolated acts of human kindness that are sprinkled throughout the show only to be swept away by the brutish reality of the game.

I'm still early in the show, but already I'm willing to give it a glowing recommendation.

Fbh

now i've finished it. i overall enjoyed it but still don't see what all the rage is about...yeah it's a good show and would love Season 2 but i don't get why everyone is praising it to high heavens. there are many shows out there just as good, if not better, that deserve even just half the praise.

I think it just has a mix of stuff that works great.
It has a distinct eye catching look, some shock value which always sells (like the Boys for example), a fun cast of varied ages and, as someone else said, a lot of stuff that's easy to imitate or make memes with on social media.

The children's game theme is also pretty universal , it's the sort of stuff that people from multiple cultures and generations can relate with. Me, my dad and my grandpa grew up decades apart from each other on different countries and we can all relate to several of the games that appear on the show.

My only problem with the serial is that
in the 5th episode the black mask guy say that he want parity during games, for him is the most important thing, but almost all games are unfair for a reason or another for certain people.
What's the point of starving people and starting violence if you are against what the people suffer outside of the game in the real world?!

I hope he was just talking big to scare the other soldier in that scene because black mask dude, your games are unfair AF.
Yeah that was a bit weird. Though the mask guy was basically just a manager, the old guy behind it all seemed to indicate it was mostly about entertainment.
I guess the idea, which might be a translation issue, is for everyone to be on equal standing before the games.

Top Bottom