• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else watching Squid Game on Netflix?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Done five episodes. Don't understand they hype.

It's okay, but worthy of all this hype? No, not in my opinion.

Either that or I'm really, really out of touch.

Kev Kev

Done five episodes. Don't understand they hype.

It's okay, but worthy of all this hype? No, not in my opinion.

Either that or I'm really, really out of touch.
naw man, it really is overhyped. it thought it was somewhere between "not bad" and "pretty good!". i legit believe that part of the reason for its popularity among western audiences is bc of the window into korean/asian culture and how they interact with each other. its a bit of culture shock watching it for some people.

i mean i still really liked it, but yeah, certainly not worthy of "taking the world over for a couple weeks" kind of hype lol wtf
Finished it today.

No more seasons please Netflix. It was very good, let it be.
oh there is definitely going to be a season 2. this show blew tf up and someone wants to make more money

probably a 3 and 4 too, maybe 5.

6, 7, 8, 9

10, 11

12 :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
Was good. Lost me a bit on the second episode but it reeled me back in.

Part of me wants more but it would also be nice to just leave it be.

Dark Star

I finished it last night. I really enjoyed it. Watch with subs obviously, the dub sucks.

It's one of the better Netflix series I've seen recently. Right up there with Midnight Mass.

There will most definitely be a season 2 lol. No doubt about it considering the ending. I hope our red headed protagonist kicks the front man's ass.

Last edited:

June

i binged watch it. first show ive done that with in a good a while.

the show was good and fun. it mostly gets by on it's concept as the games themselves are by far the most fun aspect. I loved the tug of war game and episode 6 was the best episode. #67 was an awesome character

when it gets into the character melodrama though it kinda falls flat for the most part, and there are so many stupid decisions that characters make simply so that specific dramatic situations are created down the line

Like most shows these days I feel so much of this could have been cut to make for a better and tighter experience.

7/10

3 episodes in.

Pedestrian concept, great execution so far. Directing work is absolutely excellent from the USC film school trained Hwang Dong-hyuk. Trying to make the HDR work correctly with my Samsung TV has been an experience but I think I mostly have it figured out now.

There are numerous complaints about the quality of the translation work in the subtitles. As someone who watched a lot of anime in college, controversy about subtitles isn't unusual to me. This is Netflix's first really big success in non-English language original content so maybe they will take the translation work more seriously down the road. We'll see.

cormack12

Gold Member
Watched first two episodes after boarding the hype train late. Reminds me of a less polished black mirror episode stretched out. I'll see it through as its entertaining in its own way.

I couldn't make out the part of the first game where you have to run on one leg and cant be arsed watched the intro to episode 1 again. Anyone explain just that one part?

There are attackers and defenders and the attackers can only hop until they do something? But then they can all use two feet?

Hydroxy

Just finished this. While I really liked the show, the last episode and the ending fell flat and wasn't a fan on what happened. Felt unnecessary and didn't add anything. There's also a few times where logic is thrown out the window for plot convenience that's hard to overlook. But Overall still a great show with some good characters. Definitely worth the watch.

RaduN

Very weak show, especially for the amount of hype it gets.
Not as worthless as Casa del Papel, but still pretty badly written, predictable and overacted (i guess it's a korean thing?).
Since we pay for Netflix anyway, it's worth a watch, there are worst shows out there.

ZehDon

I really enjoyed it, and happily watched it all the way through. It's not the greatest television show of all time, but I found it pretty entertaining.

sol_bad

If anyone is interested in another show with a similar concept and likes anime, check out Kaiji, it should be on Crunchyroll.
Both Pewdiepie and Mother's Basement suggested this so the wife and I checked it out.
We are 8 episodes in and are addicted. It's a 50 episode series, so it's a bit long.

Malakhov

Banned
Watched first two episodes after boarding the hype train late. Reminds me of a less polished black mirror episode stretched out. I'll see it through as its entertaining in its own way.

I couldn't make out the part of the first game where you have to run on one leg and cant be arsed watched the intro to episode 1 again. Anyone explain just that one part?

There are attackers and defenders and the attackers can only hop until they do something? But then they can all use two feet?
if attacker cuts through the waist of the squid, he can then use both legs

cormack12

Gold Member
if attacker cuts through the waist of the squid, he can then use both legs

Yeah I read that, and I went to a lot of sites that just transcribed the VO. What is the waist? Is it the gap between the triangle and square? Or is it the little circle at the bottom because I saw them running along it on the clip that was being described.

maxresdefault.jpg

Banjo64

cumsessed
Best season of a show I’ve seen in years and years. Binge watched all 9 episodes this weekend. The dub can be a little distracting/corny on occasion, but it’s that compelling that it doesn’t even matter.

The show starts great, and seems to get better and better as it nears the end of the season, with the final 2 episodes being literal masterpieces in my opinion.

Only issue I had was;

Cop leaving doors open and his scuba gear in plain sight on the beach

During the game of marbles no one tried to initiate the vote to leave, the guy who survived his wife didn’t call a vote until after the game

Just read through the thread and seeing complaints about the ending, the heart wants what the heart wants at the end of the day.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
I watched like 3 episodes. Don’t find it entertaining or creative at all, and I don’t care about any of the characters. They are largely awful people. Pretty good art direction I guess.

Belthazar

I was pleasantly surprised by how good it is, I usually hate the overhyped Netflix shows... But this did deliver. The best part was obviously the art direction, but it also had some really interesting characters and the themes were very interesting and relevant too.

Don't want a second season tho, I feel like it told the story it wanted to, stretching it wouldn't add much (and probably even cheapen the superb story they told)

bitbydeath

My main gripe with the ending was that it should have shown him pay off all his debts, including his own family before choosing to go after them.

The cop storyline will likely continue since we haven’t seen a body.

Last edited:
He’s said he wanted the next season based on the front man, so likely a prequel on how he reached that position.
Well I mean OK, maybe we'll see the 2015 game that the future Front Man won. But I still want to see what happens since Player 456 decided not to get on that plane. Also there's a 100% chance the policeman who is Front Man's brother survived since we don't see him die or his body. The cliffhanger is obvious, the question is if they can deliver on a second season. Player 456's crusade to expose the game could end up being very boring unless he voluntarily goes back to play the game again and that would be really disappointing for a sequel series since it would basically be the first season again.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I finished it. Absolutely brilliant to the end, and then...

The director/writer has already stated he isn't thinking of a season 2. Wow, thanks for nothing you SON OF A BITCH. :messenger_loudly_crying:
I think it may work as a one season story for the current events. Maybe a prequel series 2 then a movie film for season three. With player 456

or maybe a one off.
otherwise it will just be the same thing over and over.

Kev Kev

frontman prequel would be great, my vote goes for that as well.

and a third season as a sequel to the first season to wrap the series up. Short and sweet. Leaves plenty of room for some interesting ideas but doesn’t over stay it’s welcome.

Last edited:
frontman prequel would be great, my vote goes for that as well.

and a third season as a sequel to the first season to wrap the series up. Short and sweet. Leaves plenty of room for some interesting ideas but doesn’t over stay it’s welcome.
I... actually like this. Netflix, listen to this man.

binged this yesterday. Overall, I like it. It's good but kinda overhyped. I agree that the ending falls flat as it felt like it was changed last minute to allow for a season 2.

- kinda saw the twist regarding the old man in the first episode. There are just too many hints. The reveal of his true motive felt underwhelming. It was just for fun. That's it? (not sure if the subs are missing something)
- Gi Hun not going on the plane made no sense. The main drive for his character was to redeem himself as a good father as well as pay off his debts and he does neither. Did the writers forget he has mountains of debt??
- really surprised that there was no back story for whats her name, the lady that slept with the gangster guy. She claims she's a single mother but I highly doubt that's true given her personality. Even the girl who killed her father had more character development.
- really wish that they expanded Front Man's character a bit. Or at least hint why a previous winner ended up working for the old man.

Fbh

I kinda liked the finale...happy endings are boring.

I already started alice in borderlands and hating the look of the protagonist so much (but the first chick is hot so it's ok).

Alice in Borderlands is pretty bad. Didn't watch all of it but it feels like it's specifically aimed at a younger audience and it has a cringy anime aesthetic/style going on. Which isn't surprising as I think it was originally a manga. Anime/Manga just doesn't translate well into live action (most of the time).

Not a TV show or movie but if you like this sort of stuff and like to read the Battle Royale book is great. The movie, which is what mostly people know, doesn't really do it justice as it makes some bad changes and has to cram the entire 600 pages into 120 minutes, which they decided to accomplish by focusing on the elements which would add shock value while missing a lot of the more interesting psychological and character focused elements of the book.

HF2014

Just finish it. The first episode got my attention, was not bad for like 4-5 episodes, but when i came to the decision to thumb it up or down at the end, well, its down i vote.

Wayyyyy overhyped seriously. Not feeling iv lost my time watching it, but didnt end up satisfied watching it.

Neolombax

I only watched up to ep5 during the weekend, the wife powered through till the end. We couldn't understand the hype honestly. I personally didn't feel any attachment to any of the characters, didn't feel like there were any stakes at all for them to be risking their lives like that.

Keihart

binged this yesterday. Overall, I like it. It's good but kinda overhyped. I agree that the ending falls flat as it felt like it was changed last minute to allow for a season 2.

- kinda saw the twist regarding the old man in the first episode. There are just too many hints. The reveal of his true motive felt underwhelming. It was just for fun. That's it? (not sure if the subs are missing something)
- Gi Hun not going on the plane made no sense. The main drive for his character was to redeem himself as a good father as well as pay off his debts and he does neither. Did the writers forget he has mountains of debt??
- really surprised that there was no back story for whats her name, the lady that slept with the gangster guy. She claims she's a single mother but I highly doubt that's true given her personality. Even the girl who killed her father had more character development.
- really wish that they expanded Front Man's character a bit. Or at least hint why a previous winner ended up working for the old man.
He is not even shown paying his debts to the friends his "friends", so there is like a big disconnection between this "successful image" that he is portrayed on after the old dude dies and how successful he should be feeling given his growth during the games and the guilt he carries. And then be moved by revenge? what the fuck is going on?! Why is he blaming the game instead of himself after all of this? is like all the character growth is erased after the old dude dies for a chance at a second season.
The ending left me scratching my head.

Keihart

So i'm at episode 4 of AIB and...it's nowhere near close squid game quality?!

Is sweet home any better?
Yes and no, the tone is pretty similar but has more of that Korean Drama that you might be missing.
I like both, but sweet home feels more grounded.

Just bite the bullet and watch Extracurricular.
Motivate Shia Labeouf GIF

bitbydeath

Well, they did it.
the series has pulled in approximately 111 million viewers in its first nearly four weeks (25 days) on the service.

That easily beats out previous record holders “Bridgerton” which pulled in 82 million, “Lupin” with 76 million, and “The Witcher” with 67 million over their first 28 days.

Von Hugh

Well, they did it.

Pretty damn good for a Korean show.

GymWolf

Yes and no, the tone is pretty similar but has more of that Korean Drama that you might be missing.
I like both, but sweet home feels more grounded.

Just bite the bullet and watch Extracurricular.
Motivate Shia Labeouf GIF
I don't care about the premise of extracurricular, a model student that is secretely a pimp, not for me.

Top Bottom