• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else watching Squid Game on Netflix?

GymWolf

Alice in Borderlands is pretty bad. Didn't watch all of it but it feels like it's specifically aimed at a younger audience and it has a cringy anime aesthetic/style going on. Which isn't surprising as I think it was originally a manga. Anime/Manga just doesn't translate well into live action (most of the time).

Not a TV show or movie but if you like this sort of stuff and like to read the Battle Royale book is great. The movie, which is what mostly people know, doesn't really do it justice as it makes some bad changes and has to cram the entire 600 pages into 120 minutes, which they decided to accomplish by focusing on the elements which would add shock value while missing a lot of the more interesting psychological and character focused elements of the book.
I readed the battle royale manga like 3 times already.

Amazing show, episode 6 in particular was a heart wrenching affair. After the sixth episode, the show took a bit of a nosedive with the introduction of the tropey and superficial VIPs. The story redeemed itself towards the end, especially the tragic demise of the third finalist and the brutal confrontation in the final game. There is also a great confrontation between the protagonist and another surprise character. I would love to see a continuation of the story, as we get to explore the intricate game that the organizers themselves are probably involved in.

If you like this show, I would highly recommend Keiji: Ultimate Survivor which pretty much deals with the same premise but goes much further thematically and raises the tension even further.

Give Keiji a watch, it's absolutely brilliant.

cormack12

Gold Member
Just got done with the marbles game episode.

So, do we just have to believe that the old guy was going to not accept the win before the other guy lied? He was always going to give all his marbles away?

vpance

Just got done with the marbles game episode.

So, do we just have to believe that the old guy was going to not accept the win before the other guy lied? He was always going to give all his marbles away?

You could say he felt some connection with the guy so he changed his mind and let him live. But obviously part of it was making the viewers think the main char was really duping the old man.

GymWolf

Yep, after just one episode, sweet home is already much better than aib after 4 ep.
Maybe i'm just in my korean phase...

I really liked the tall zombie at the end, cg is whatever but i liked the design and how he moves.

Last edited:
It was an entertaining show. The acting by the foreign actors was very bad though. And the payoff was lousy.

I started watching Alice in Borderland yesterday - interesting premise but awful acting. It’s like a bunch of actors trying to mimic anime.

Kaiji is still the best version of this as far as I know. Gantz’s premise is more interesting but it never got an ending.

clem84

Gold Member
The contestants could have just walked on the steel pipes that ran across the chasm. I don't remember if the rules included something forbidding you to do just that.

Before that game began, not knowing anything about it, I thought the safest number to pick would be the middle. #1 was basically a dead man. lol

clem84

Gold Member
This was really clever and brilliantly executed. At first we all expected that the stronger team was going to destroy them, but after the old guy explained the strategies and the surprise move it made perfect sense that they could actually win. Just really well done.

bitbydeath

North Korea comments kek kek kek
“‘Squid Game’ gained popularity because it exposes the reality of South Korean capitalist culture. [It’s] a world where only money matters – a hell-like horror… Corruption and immoral scoundrels are commonplace… [an] unequal society where moneyless people are treated like chess pieces for the rich.”

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Came out yesterday. I'm only on episode 2 or 3 but this show is insaaaane. There is a pretty good story to go along with too. I'm really loving it so far. Check it out if you don't mind reading subtitles.

I highly recommend going in blind, with no trailers, but this one only shows a few cut up scenes from the first episode, so you can watch it without too much being spoiled. But I always prefer to go in with zero expectation, and this is a show that really is better if you go into it without knowing the plot.

But if you want to get an idea of what it's about, this teaser will give a taste without spoiling too too much...

Also please mark spoilers because it's brand new and not a lot of people have finished it yet (including myself). Thanks!

Thanks! This looks funny! Might watch it.

SkylineRKR

Its a good show but its also a bit slowgoing. And the way of acting, its ofcourse different. Its over the top but its the whole premise here.

I found the plot to be a bit predictable though. About some identities etc.

And those foreigners, jesus, couldn't they cast actors?

The contestants could have just walked on the steel pipes that ran across the chasm. I don't remember if the rules included something forbidding you to do just that.

Before that game began, not knowing anything about it, I thought the safest number to pick would be the middle. #1 was basically a dead man. lol
Walking on the steel pipes would be extremely difficult. The instruction was also to jump on the glass platforms. But one strategy could be to jump on each platform with your legs spread as wide as possible. Your feet would land very close to the steel pipes and there's a good chance the glass wouldn't break. Idk how practical that would be though.

And those foreigners, jesus, couldn't they cast actors?
Either they could not get any due to pandemic restrictions or it's a dig back at decades of Western productions who cast generic 'Asian person' actors for any roles, not caring if they were actually Chinese, Japanese or Korean. Or just put some paint on Mickey Rooney.

Kazza

Ninjas were cutting onions during that marble episode

It's also now the most watched netflix show

I guess they're going to milk it like Money Heist

Well deserved! It's great that other countries are experiencing such success, especially in the wake of the cultural malaise that the US is finding itself in these days.

It's success does make me wonder what percentage of people are listening to the original, and how many are using the dubbed versions. The English one is quite something :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

belmarduk

Well deserved! It's great that other countries are experiencing such success, especially in the wake of the cultural malaise that the US is finding itself in these days.

It's success does make me wonder what percentage of people are listening to the original, and how many are using the dubbed versions. The English one is quite something :messenger_tears_of_joy:

God damn... that bitch was annoying. I kept on hoping she would be eliminated in every game.

Holy fuck that dub is beyond horrible I want to stab my ears

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Many newspaper articles on how kids are imitating this show at school. Like pretending to kill and even hurt other kids if they lose at their games.

Fbh

Lol is this the actual quality of the DUB?

I get that many native English speakers aren't used to subs, but you can't possibly prefer this over subs....right?

Yeah I thought the same. They could have one of the first guys try it and get shot or something just to make it clear they had to use the glass panels

Valedix

Gold Member

Yeah but that wouldn't of made good television lol

cormack12

Gold Member
Finished it, thought it was quite good overall.

Wouldn't he have been killed for making the game unequal as well. He surely would have known the games and been prepared for them as well.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
They could kill each other at night, so nothing was really against the rules.
That ending made me mad because he finally had a chance to go see his daughter, but he has to go back. They didn’t have any guilt going back and people died before that. It just made me not like the ending. I get that they want Season 2. Why is it that we always have to watch the main character come out with a conscious? This happens all the time. The main character never leads the life we want him to.

So... it was ok.

I felt like I had seen it all before, which is odd as I don't watch many shows or movies of this type. But it felt like a standard asian death series or hunger games. Meet a bunch of people early on, and know that most of them aren't gonna make it to the end. Not a single death in the show surprised me.

I called the cop's brother and his eventual fate on I think episode 3? The best episodes were 1, 2, and 6. As much as I loved the marbles game, did it bother anyone else that there were no deaths in that episode that Were actually shocking? Had Ali made it out, I would have been surprised, had the thug died, I would have been surprised, or had the other girl died instead of best girl, I would have been surprised too. But it was all extremely basic as far as the plot was concerned.

It's even more of a shame too, because especially with how the show ended, you COULD have mixed things up in the middle and it wouldn't have made much of a difference. Even with all of that, I was pretty invested up till episode where the entire show just took a giant nosedive into inanity.

The VIPs were laughable, the dialog with them was worse than a Tommy Wiseau joint. The glass bridge was just a bad game in general. Up until then, there was a good chance that at least some people would survive each game to the end, if not a guarantee. But this one? 20 something steps at 50% death rate, and only 16 people? I doubt the VIPs wanted to miss the final game, and no one should have made it past the bridge. Which would be fine, if the idea was that no one can win, but every single year there has been a winner, so they expect one. Add the BS way they got the girl out of the picture, and the Chekov's gun of the explosives still hanging on the wall... and I was just not feeling it by the end. Then the final episode which was unbearably long, shows that Ga is just a piece of shit, and learned nothing. Hunt down the organization AFTER you make sure your daughter is set for life you trashfire.

I've been trying not to look at this thread because I don't want to get any sort of spoilers. I've nearly finished, and it's one of my favourite shows of the year.

So many diverse characters, the plot is super intruging and the performances are excellent. I knew it was my kind of show as soon as I saw the closing moments of the first episode.

Amiga

Not my 1st experience with the concept so didn't see anything special. the Netflix platform made it the most popular.

there is an older Japanese show called Lair Game. doesn't use violence as a gimmick and has comedy/suspense ton. there is also a movie called Animal World with this theme.

MachRc

Participated in squid games with my board game buddies. My son and I both died in the bridge game with paper that was marked under to show which is tempered or not.

Tug of war was online math quiz between group of 3 with highest scored team winning. Ten gold coins and choose any game to get them from your competito for the marbles. Some simpler games like paper rock scissors.

I got a triangle. My son got a circle. With the needles it wasn't too hard.

Attracted about 30 people. At 5 dollars per, the jackpot was 150 bucks. I'm glad my son enjoyed it alot.

sLORpH0.jpg

Keihart

Just finished watching My Name a couple of days ago, action scenes puts most hollywood movies to shame, no other show comes close in my opnion.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I loved the character development and how unafraid the story is to be daring. It went places I didn’t realize. At the end I felt empathy and did not think the ending was bad.

I’m on the fence about a season 2. This is near perfection. Is it lightning-in-a-bottle or can another season reach even higher?

Going to watch Dune shortly. Hoping it live up to the rest of Villeneuve’s work.

I'll watch if they do a Season 2 but I'm also not sure if they can reach the bar this season set.

It's only had one season and it's the best show I've watched since Breaking Bad. Legitimately. It's been a while since a show took to me like that.

Kazza

Just finished watching My Name a couple of days ago, action scenes puts most hollywood movies to shame, no other show comes close in my opnion.

Nice! I'm really getting into Korean stuff now. I did watch a few Korean movies a few years back, but all the TV shows seemed to be the usual romantic dramas/comedies, so I passed on them. There seem to have been a lot of great shows that I missed.

I'm 3 episodes into Sweet Home, and it's great so far:

While some of the effects do look like cheap CGI, others go for the creepy pre-CGI animation style seen it old movies such as Clash of the Titans.

I'm definitely going to check out My Name next!

Hardensoul

I really like the acting and story of My Name, the action scenes were brutal but seem unrealistic to me. Maybe because she fights so physical and to me she doesn't seem to have the physic for the fighting style. Lee Si-young (fire fighter) in Sweet Home would be great doing those fight scenes, she actually is a boxer and done a lot of action roles.

Hardensoul

Nice! I'm really getting into Korean stuff now. I did watch a few Korean movies a few years back, but all the TV shows seemed to be the usual romantic dramas/comedies, so I passed on them. There seem to have been a lot of great shows that I missed.

I'm 3 episodes into Sweet Home, and it's great so far:

While some of the effects do look like cheap CGI, others go for the creepy pre-CGI animation style seen it old movies such as Clash of the Titans.

I'm definitely going to check out My Name next!

Sweet Home is one of my favorite shows, the lead actor seem to be pretty versatile. I was almost turned off by the first episode because the lead was not interesting. But seems to be like that with a lot of Korean shows, character development is soo good and I've learn when watching Korean shows to never judge it by first episodes.

Sweet Home is one of my favorite shows, the lead actor seem to be pretty versatile. I was almost turned off by the first episode because the lead was not interesting. But seems to be like that with a lot of Korean shows, character development is soo good and I've learn when watching Korean shows to never judge it by first episodes.
Yep, I noticed that as well.

Especially with Squid Game. A lot of the characters could have been the main character leading the show. They were all fleshed out well.

Gi-hun, Sang-woo and Sae-byeok all felt equal in terms of screen presence and importance. Very nice to see.

Last edited:
Top Bottom