• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone got any good 1099/1099R career advice?

Hello! Looking for a little guidance and suggestions on where to go next.

Long story short after giving it 3 tries and 3 years I quit my last corporate job and started some self discovery. I've been doing door dash and uber eats while trying to figure out what I really want to do next. Well the market I'm in, big city, got saturated and the economy is making it to where people can't tip. So I've gone from an easy 50-55k equivalent gig to chump change which has of course expedited my search for the next thing.

I'm passionate about people, technology, and have a great gift for interpersonal relationships, socializing, writing, video editing, and creativity. I've been looking at things like ghost writing and virtual assistant but was inundated with a bunch of scams. So basically I've been looking for the door dash or uber of creative writing or virtual assisting. Trying to find a legit way in that would be a steady stream of decent income, I don't need 6 figures, or even high 5 figures. Just wanna be comfortable. I'm also open to other suggestions. But it HAS to be independent contractor based. No set hours. No boss. Theres are set in stone for me.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help!

Cyberpunkd

ChatGPT just got rid of all the “passionate” content creators that do not have education and a solid resume of internships and work done.
You are already setting demands at the start (no set hours, no boss, etc.) - what do you have that justifies anyone giving in to those demands?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
You won’t make enough. Plain and simple.

But if you do find something .. buy enough things for your business to offset taxes every year or you will go down quickly.

Lasha

Have you only worked for three years? The types who succeed solo generally have skill, connections, or luck. You could get a CDL and drive trucks or something maybe.

Winter John

Gold Member
No set hours. No boss? Your gonna need to learn a trade and start your own business. Landscaping is probably the easiest to get going. Obviously you gotta buy equipment and transport, but it's a decent job. Selling shit at markets is another easy way to make cash. House clearances/removals is a real good way to earn fast cash. I did a bunch of them in my time. They really helped keep a roof over my head when I couldn't get anything else. The thing is, as every self employed guy will tell you, you're gonna end up working longer hours than you would if you worked for someone else. It's more rewarding for sure but unless your rich as fuck there ain't no job out there that you can just float in and out of whenever you like.

ChatGPT just got rid of all the “passionate” content creators that do not have education and a solid resume of internships and work done.
You are already setting demands at the start (no set hours, no boss, etc.) - what do you have that justifies anyone giving in to those demands?
A desire to only work 1099?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If you've got good communication skills, does your area need English tutors (your town or city has lots of overseas minorities)?

Do you know another language?

At every big company I've worked at, only one had their own dedicated French translation dept (only because we made tons of shit with text as part of the product). Every other place outsources French to a company and they send it back charging a fee. I dont know if the company they oursource it to is just their advertising agency and they handle it somehow, or if they outsource it to places or people that specialize in bilingual services.

Last edited:
Long story short after giving it 3 tries and 3 years I quit my last corporate job
So you're one of those Strauss Zelnick type guys who looks down upon working class people from the high tables and now you're down in the dumps just like them? I'm generalising like fuck there, but I want pleasure from your misfortune. Give the pizza guy shit now about late delivery when YOU'RE the pizza guy. MUAHHAHA!!!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Gain genuinely valuable skills. Read this book if unclear.

EnAvhmO.jpg

So you're one of those Strauss Zelnick type guys who looks down upon working class people from the high tables and now you're down in the dumps just like them? I'm generalising like fuck there, but I want pleasure from your misfortune. Give the pizza guy shit now about late delivery when YOU'RE the pizza guy. MUAHHAHA!!!
What

If you've got good communication skills, does your area need English tutors (your town or city has lots of overseas minorities)?

Do you know another language?

At every big company I've worked at, only one had their own dedicated French translation dept (only because we made tons of shit with text as part of the product). Every other place outsources French to a company and they send it back charging a fee. I dont know if the company they oursource it to is just their advertising agency and they handle it somehow, or if they outsource it to places or people that specialize in bilingual services.
That’s actually a good idea I could look into.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That’s actually a good idea I could look into.
If you go the company route, I have no idea how hard it is to find a company willing to hire you, but think in your head companies that need foreign language translations which need help. Big companies needing help only hired dedicated bilingual services to do this because they want to make sure they know what they are doing. They'll never ask around the office who knows French and can they just do it. Chances are certain the office guy putting up his hand will do a shit job at it and he'll treat it like a side job to his normal responsibilities so he wont really give a shit anyway.

- Packaging
- Website updates
- Instruction manuals
- Magazine ads
- Etc....

Top Bottom