• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone have any experience raising a German Shepherd in an apartment?

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
My wife and I want to get a dog. Recently my apartment complex eased up on breed restrictions and German Shepherds are now allowed.

I have experience raising large dogs before, so I know what to expect. I had a rottweiler I raised from a puppy until she passed away at the age of 11 (heart attack). I love large intelligent breeds.

The thing is, when I had the rott, I lived in my parents small house. But it had a yard she could hang out in if she wanted. Now I live in a 900 Sq ft apartment. They're are plenty of places we can take her for walks, so I'm not too concerned about her getting exercise. But otherwise, how did it go for you in an apartment.

Lasha

Gonna be rough af. Crate training will be mandatory and you will be on the hook to take the dog out more often to compensate for living in a tiny apartment. My friend got a retriever during covid and he already wants to get rid of it. I live in a 1200sqft flat and still hesitate to get any kind of dog much less a large breed. The few times I have pet sit have sucked beyond belief. I would put off the dog until you can buy/move to a bigger place more conducive to pet ownership.

Tams

Doesn't sound like the best idea. It could be fine, but unless you are going to move to somewhere bigger in, say at most 4-5 years, I wouldn't. The training would be hell.

A collie might do alright, so long as you give them at least one long walk a day. Absolutely lovely dogs too.

Last edited:

20cent

Banned
You'll be fine if you are not lazy. Lot of people don't own fields (live in the USA) or even a garden and are known to have survived with a big dog in their home/apartment.
The dog will be part of your family, not just an accessory for your home, like a brick bbq or a tool shed.

I had to google "crate train". Lol I guess that's a thing if you own a three dozen of them in a 100 acres ranch....yeeeeeha...

Winter John

Gold Member
The last thing you wanna do is get a large active dog if you live in a small apartment. You'll drive it nuts. You either wanna get a small dog like a Jack Russel or a breed that's known for being lazy. One of my pals had a Bullmastiff. It was a great dog. Really gentle, good with his kids but it did nothing but eat, lie on their couch and fart.

Rockondevil

Gold Member
Crate training is great but I also have a decent yard for my dogs.
I’m on the get a little dog or nothing team if you’re in such a small space.

Fools idol

Banned
Crate training a german shepherd? I mean lol no

that dog is going to be miserable and your stuff is going to get rekt when it's out of that crate

Get a chihuahua or move dude

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I think you want a lot of space for a dog that size. I think they are a great dog, but I would want to make sure they have a yard and some areas to run.

Winter John

Gold Member
you pretty much just described me.. also Large Dog / Small Apartment? are you mad, there's a reason why German Shepard's are used as guard dogs, they can be aggressive and active as hell, i would not want to live with one in a box
“The last thing you wanna do is get a large active dog if you live in a small apartment.”

Pagusas

Elden Member
I find the idea cruel, don't do that to an animal, 900 sqft is super tiny, even for a lap dog. If you want a dog like that, get a home with a yard or at least an apt with the sq footage to support it and not keep it crated over half its life.

Was attacked by a German shepard when I was around 13/14 and ever since I'm on guard when it comes to larger dogs. Don't make the mistake and take the dog out to public places without muffling it, would you rather people be more at ease and avoid a case than the dog being slightly irritated?

Thaedolus

Gold Member
You'll need to crate train. They will almost certainly destroy shit if a crate isn't used when you leave them alone in the apartment.
Definitely this. Our German Shepherd was already grown and trained in old when we moved into an apartment but we made it work. We had different work/school schedules and made sure she got out plenty, thankfully it had a dog park area and a walking path nearby. Absent those, however, it’s a lot to handle in a small space

BossLackey

Gold Member
You'll need to crate train. They will almost certainly destroy shit if a crate isn't used when you leave them alone in the apartment.

Can confirm. Had a German Shepherd with my girlfriend in an apartment in the city (her idea) and he randomly chewed up most of my Metal Gear collection despite there being a million other things I would have expected him to chew on first.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Can confirm. Had a German Shepherd with my girlfriend in an apartment in the city (her idea) and he randomly chewed up most of my Metal Gear collection despite there being a million other things I would have expected him to chew on first.
But was he cute?

BossLackey

Gold Member
But was he cute?
He was ridiculously cute lol.

Part of why my GF wanted him was because we were nooooot living in a good neighborhood. She put a down payment on him without me knowing and I stupidly just went with it.

Normally I would not subject a large dog to an apartment and I certainly won't be again. Though we walked a ton at least.

daveonezero

Banned
I have a cattle dog.

Space of your house doesn't mean anything. I lived in an RV with the cattle dog, plus 2 other dogs. People saying a big house or a big yard are required don't understand dogs or human dog relationships. The training if you have 1000 acres or an apartment is the same. It is a huge commitment.

The best thing you can do for a dog is crate train it and make it sleep in the crate. Also if you are getting a puppy start immediately. You can and must train dogs early. I've seen videos of 6 month old cattle dogs retrieving. After that you need it to have productive time outside and build a bond with the dog.

I've had labradors before and the Shepards are different, obviously. Their mind is meant to do a lot of things and do it all day. You have to give them mental stimulation more than just walking and exercise. You need an activity where it can be souly focused on you or that activity.

Some serious structured play or obedience activity. Which in turn makes them a better dog. The dog is meant to chase cows around keeping track of dozens of animals.

I'm on the side of dogs as dogs and not just training. I have a personal relationship with these guys and they have some awesome tools

It isn't conventional treat training but its a more gentle Ceasar like method.
I had a few german shepherds on 90 acres and I still don’t think it was enough land. Dogs love freedom too.
No they love structure. You are putting your dog in danger if you just let them roam. And he could be a nuisance to other people around. Thats how you get a dog shot.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
A German Shepard living in an apartment is interesting, they’ll get ramped up to go outside and shit. Maybe get a Shiba Inu?

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I don't but do you have a big apparment?

Never felt good about dogs in apparments. You should've heard my wife.

Unless they're very small. Not dissing; hope you get an answer.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
Small dogs in apartments have the same issues to overcome as big dogs.

Size doesn’t mean anything. Small dogs have more issues because people think they don’t need attention and don’t have to train them.

Last edited:
Metal Gear!?! (In David Hayter's voice)

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I have a German Shepard husky in our condo. It’s not too big of a place 1300 square feet plus a basement (no yard). Frankly it has been fine for us but only because we made time for it and my wife stays at home.

If you are not going to run it 5-10 kms a day it will be tough and borderline cruel. But, if you can make the time to walk it first thing in the morning, and 2-3 times during the rest of the day, everyday, it will be ok probably.

Dogs are awesome, but are lots of work

poodaddy

I never had a big dog when I rented, but I had tenants that did.

Fucking don't do it if you give any shits about your deposit or your dog's happiness. People who have big dogs in apartments seem to view their dogs more as cute decorations to "aw" at rather than a member of the family who deserves all the same happiness, attentiveness, and quality of life as any other member of the family. An apartment is simply not an appropriate venue to raise a big dog in, particularly so if you'll be living above the ground floor as your neighbors below you will absolutely always be hearing the dog stomping around above. Small dogs and cats are better choices for apartments.

Batiman

Banned
Sounds like a bad idea to have a Shepard in an apartment. Bad for you and especially the dog. I’m sure you’re there’s a way to make it work but it’s a big decision which shouldn’t be taken lightly.

I’d suggest a smaller dog that’s not too barky

Last edited:

Tams

I'll reiterate a collie being your only real choice. They can tolerate limited exercise to a degree.

But they absolutely do need at least one big walk a day, and really do like large spaces to run around.

So if you can commit to at least an hour walk a day, and two or three trips a week to a decent sized park or similar place (ideally where the dog can go off the lead), then a collie might be okay.

Frankly, no to a german shepherd, and even a golden retriever or labrador. They need space and exercise.

simpatico

Last time I had a dog in an apartment I ended up feeling like I was holding it hostage. All they want to do is run and frolic. Even on the nights I was whooped from work. I ended up deciding it wasn't good for me to have a dog until I had a house with a yard. Just ended up feeling bad when I looked at her.

You can only do it if you're ready to go spend hours outside daily and in any temperature whatsoever. Ive only had german shepherds and they need exercise and training, a shitload of it. I could go hiking for hours in the wood, ride back home for 30 minutes and they would look at me like what are we doing next champ.

It's doable but only if you put so much effort into it so it's not worth it imo. If you want a big dog in a small appartment, look into mastiff/bullmastiff/great dane/greyhound, not a shepherd

Last edited:
Also, people in this thread saying not to get a big dog in an apartment, this is wrong. There is large dogs that will love an appartment lifestyle because they're so lazy and are just done for the day after a small walk, see post above

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Right after college my girlfriend and I had an apartment and rescued a puppy they told us was probably going to be around 25lbs. It ended up being some type of German Shepherd mix and was 110lbs lol.

Honestly, she was a super sweet and a really good dog, but she hated that apartment even though we took her for walks 2-3 times a day. Thats just a big dog with lots of energy confined in a small space. They're the working kinda dog too they have an instinct to be outside.

My parents live on around 60 acres and have a pond and a few cows and other wildlife, every time we would take her out there with us she was in absolute heaven running around everywhere and chasing the animals. Then when we would go back to Dallas to our apartment, she would get seriously depressed and just hang out by the window and stare outside and not even look at us for like a whole day lol.

Happy ending though, my parents loved the dog and eventually they just took it for good and it got to live on the 60 acres and couldn't have been happier. Then we ended up getting a Corgi so it all worked out haha.

But TLDR: Thats probably not a great breed for an apartment just for its own happiness.

Last edited:
Top Bottom