• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone have any experience raising a German Shepherd in an apartment?

daveonezero

Banned
That is crazy talk. Bigger dogs simply need more space.

There isn’t a dog that exists that wouldn’t fit into a 500sqfoot RV.

A mansion or a tiny home is just a big crate for a dog.

Letting them out unattended in a backyard or a 1000acres are both bad for a dog no matter the breed. In fact some like husky’s will run miles and put themselves in danger.

Yes if is easier to have them use the bathroom outside if you have a yard. But it doesn’t make it easier raising a well behaved dog.

I could make an argument the routine and the walking it outside for potty breaks could be a better environment if you are practicing good leash obedience vs just letting them out a back door.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I grew up with a German Shepherd in pretty small places, like maybe 1000sf or less. She lived a long and healthy life. I don't get where this idea came that you need to have an English manor in the countryside to have a dog bigger than a pomeranian. Train the dog well, treat it well, take it on walks, show it love, it will enjoy its life. That said, they shed like crazy and in a smaller house that fur has nowhere to go.

Last edited:
I grew up with a German Shepherd in pretty small places, like maybe 1000sf or less. She lived a long and healthy life. I don't get where this idea came that you need to have an English manor in the countryside to have a dog bigger than a pomeranian. That said, they shed like crazy and in a smaller house that fur has nowhere to go.
Emphasis on shed like crazy, you'll never have a clean floor with a shepherd, just give up 😅

Last edited:

Winter John

Gold Member
You know if you can't get a German Shepherd maybe you could get your partner to wear a fur coat and put a leash on her. Or a saddle even.

Liljagare

I'd say, living space less important, a few hours of excercise is more important each day, and activities. Shepherd's are still at the end of the day a working dog breed, and you need to provide that for them. After that, they are probarly happy to sleep where-ever. A GS that isn't allowed out for hours every day is probarly going to find other ways to release it's energy, hopefully just your furniture, worse, cables and electronics.

(Though I have had one that was a lazy fuck, so, ymmw. Every doggo has it's own temperament too). Also, depending on nation, be sure to get a certified one, they have alot of hip issues all over the globe, almost a ruined breed nowadays in some places.

Top Bottom