• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone have any luck buying an OLED Switch on Launch Day without a Pre-order?

CGiRanger

Banned
I got shit luck I think. 😭

Went to Best Buy and Target. Target said they sold out as soon as they opened at 7am. Best Buy said all their stock was reserved for Pre-Orders. Sadly these are the only two Electronics stores nearby without driving 30Min - 1Hour away, which is dumb for this dense suburban area.

So who here got lucky enough to find one on launch day?

Also a pre-emptive "F YOU" to all those who were either claiming again that "Anyone can easily walk in on launch day and get one!" or "This won't sell as it's just a screen update!" 😡

dorkimoe

Amazon had them today and GameStop online. Not sure why you’d even try in store with what’s going on with retail inventory. Wario has tweeted out multiple links today

yeah i walked into my local gamer store and literally 2 seconds later walked out with an oled switch. nobody wants this console so duur it's easy to get hold of. the guy at the counter was trying to sell me a 2nd oled switch but i said nah

CGiRanger

Banned
Amazon had them today and GameStop online. Not sure why you’d even try in store with what’s going on with retail inventory. Wario has tweeted out multiple links today
Huh? I been refreshing Amazon all day and it's still out (or do you mean to pay the extortion scalper fees?)

CGiRanger

Banned
I swear every time I try to follow one of Wario's tweets of "OLED back in stock!", I can only get this far :pie_roffles:

FBMoRJJXsAYDIhy

AevRj6i.png

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Brother got 1 of each off Nintendo store this morning, only ment to get one but had both in his cart as he was trying. Won’t be here for a while though

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
Here I am able to find +100 available on an online seller. Tbh, it does not seem to be a huge success. I guess that the casual player do not even know what is the difference between the OLED and the regular Switch. Still, if you can trade your old Switch and play in handheld mode most of the time I would say it is worth. I really liked the screen.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
I had one pre ordered, but i cancelled it. I mean fuck its tempting, but as someone who plays primarily on their tv, i dont think i will get much from the oled upgrade

I called GameStop, expecting to be laughed at. They said they had "plenty". I went in around noon and, sure enough, they had several of both colors. I snagged a white.

They seem nearly impossible to find online, but there seems to be very little scarcity when actually going to a retail store. Surprised me, as nearly a year later, I've yet to see a PS5 or Series X on a store shelf.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
To the ones who got it, is it as slick as it looks? everyone who tried it seems to be loving the screen.

To the ones who got it, is it as slick as it looks? everyone who tried it seems to be loving the screen.
OLED is better, but it's still the same Switch. Going to a bigger screen makes jaggies a bit more noticeable too.

The kickstand is definitely a huge improvement.

Melter

Managed to get one on Amazon. Seems like scalpers jumping on new tech products is becoming the norm now

carlosrox

Banned
As I suspected, it does seem like some stores do indeed have some in stock.

My bro was scrambling to get one after canceling his preorder and Walmart has some (Vancouver BC).

CGiRanger

Banned
Are you trying your local stores in person?
As noted in the OP, I did go in person to Target and Best Buy and both were barren.

I of course tried to call both beforehand but couldn't get through. And in Best Buy's case, just calling the local store number played a message beforehand saying "We cannot answer any questions about Inventory of the Nintendo Switch OLED"

Needlecrash

I got REALLY fucking lucky. I ordered it from the Nintendo Store. Had to keep refreshing the site over and over again. I ordered it, but I didn't get an order confirmation email. The site crashed when I finished checkout so I couldn't see what my order number was....but the charge went through on my PayPal account. Literally 1 minute later, the site says out of stock. Nintendo's site is getting hammered and the order isn't on my orders list; it'll probably show up sooner than later. SHOUT OUT TO WARIO64. 😎 Now, to sell the older one...

Last edited:

Zannegan

Stock's limited in Tokyo. The retail store near me is only selling them by lottery through their store app which I can't access/install on my non-Japanese phone. I'm sure there are workarounds, but I'm content to wait. Not exactly dying for the upgrade, nice as it will be for handheld play.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

If you weren't able to get a switch OLED or Metroid Dread SE online today, you're a scrub. They were available pretty much everywhere at some point.

.hacked

Took me a hour yesterday but was able to order 2 oled switches (one of each color) off of Nintendo.com.

only ment to order one but website kept timing out ended up of of each in my cart so 2nd one goes to my brother.

so far order still says processing so hope I am good.

Last edited:

Needlecrash

Nintendo canceled my order. It's official. I'm so fucking salty about it. 😭🤬

Guess I'll need to keep hunting for a Switch OLED.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I went looking at a few places around noon today. Target had 5 switches in stock but no oled models. Walmart and Best Buy had nothing.

Hawk269

Yeah, I have been not lucky. The night before best buy had it as coming soon, then after midnight it stayed that way. I waited and it never changed....got up at 430am and it then changed to sold out. Amazon/Target was the same for me. Hoping to score one soon.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I called my local Target this morning and they said they had one of each color in stock. I drove over ASAP and now I've got a switch

JMojV9K.jpg

Top Bottom