• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone here play Tormented Souls or The Medium?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Have them on my queue to play. Heard mostly positive things about both. The only negatives I heard were some complained Tormented Souls didn't give players much of a direction, which caused some to wander around aimlessly for much of the game figuring out what to do. Also limited save opportunities like in classic RE games.

And for The Medium, most people liked it, but some complained it just was too story-driven and not enough action.

Curious to GAF's thoughts on these games.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The Medium was pathetic. If you have an xbox or PC, play it through gamepass if you absolutely cant stop yourself.

Tormented Souls looks fantastic though. I haven't played yet, but it's on the list so I'm interested in hearing some takes.
A lot of people liked The Medium, but Alex from Angry Joe Show wasn't a fan. He said it's too narrative driven and doesn't offer any scares or gameplay worth a damn.

His review gave me a little pause.

bender

What time is it?
I tried the Medium via Game Pass and while it is better than most Blooper Team's horror based walking simulators, I still fell off it pretty quickly.

I liked the Tormented Souls demo and have it wish listed for a deep discount. It's classic RE with seemingly worse character and enemy designs.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Have both for PS5, haven't played them yet. I see the value of the day 1 collector's edition of The Medium has skyrocketed, so I might just keep it sealed and eventually flog it online for a high price.

Or just sell an unopened copy of Super Mario 3D All-Stars to some dumbass Nintendo fan with a fat plumber fetish for a high price.

Bartski

Gold Member
I have no idea how to recommend the Medium to anyone who wasn't born in Poland in the 80s, if that's you and you remember late communism the game is one big childhood easter egg. Does a way better job at that than at horror. Altogether I enjoyed it but you might as well just hate it.

My hot take right after beating Tormented Souls from the other thread: it's all kinds of horrible in a way that makes retro survival janky B horror a blast, I really liked it all the way.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I finished Tormented Souls and yes the puzzles are frustrating more than they are sophisticated at times. It definitely has a couple throwback moments if you’re aching for the traditional survival horror classic genre. I wouldn’t blame you if you just went with a guide half way through the game. The voice acting is B grade material and the plot will go over your head in a month. It’s enjoyable if you aren’t overly critical about what it offers. It’s definitely not Silent Hill 2 in terms of its ending moments. I don’t regret buying it and beating it. Some of the level design is great. The combat is a big throwback, especially if you enjoy dodging a lot of your encounters to preserve ammo, just down them and start beating their corpse. I wouldn’t pay more than $20 for it.

The Medium I have no interest in playing. There just didn’t appear to be a lot of appeal for me there.

Honestly, just play Silent Hill. You can get Silent Hill 4 from GOG. I’d honestly just save your time and money. There’s not a lot to gain from either title if you ask me. I honestly enjoyed Devotion on PC. That was the last psychological horror game I enjoyed.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Have both for PS5, haven't played them yet. I see the value of the day 1 collector's edition of The Medium has skyrocketed, so I might just keep it sealed and eventually flog it online for a high price.

Or just sell an unopened copy of Super Mario 3D All-Stars to some dumbass Nintendo fan with a fat plumber fetish for a high price.
Wasn't that a EU release only for the CE?

fart town usa

Gold Member
I plan on getting Tormented Souls day 1 when it comes to PS4. I'll get the Medium whenever I own a PS5.

DragoonKain DragoonKain , check out Lamentium sometime. Relatively recent pixel art survival horror that is strongly reminiscent of OG Resident Evil. Small team and it's their first game but it's incredibly good. Haven't finished it but have really enjoyed my time with it.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Tormented Souls is the better survival horror game imo and it's old school RE.
Medium is good but like you as said it's more story driven.
I think if one the others budget there'd be no question.
Looking forward to sequels for both, but more for Tormented then Medium

decisions

I thought the demo for Tormented Souls was amazing so I bought it but haven't played it yet. I guess we can make this a LTTP thread for the game?

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I was very excited to play the Medium and did so when it first released.

For me it ended up being an empty, unsatisfactory, waste of my time. At the end I couldn’t think of anything about the game that was memorable (in a positive way).

A lot of folks gushed about its world “swapping“. I do not agree with them. IMO Soul Reaver was far more effective in its use of a similar system.

CitizenZ

Banned
I really liked the demo(still up for PC) for Torment and was impressed but just not in the mood for another of those right now. Dime a dozen.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
They did? It kinda sucks.
Got a 75 on metacritic and most of the reviews were positive. The reviews I watched from Youtubers I trust, almost all them gave it praise.

But I saw a couple that didn't like it and their reasons resonated with me, thinking I probably won't.

Bridges

The Medium literally put me to sleep. It was so boring I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone. Even if you have Game Pass there are surely better uses of your time.

Combichristoffersen

That's really rare to hear because Downpour not only failed on a gameplay level but also on a story and technical level. At least Homecoming and Downpour didn't tank all their aspects.
Shitty Memories had a mediocre story and basically nothing resembling decent gameplay. Homecoming sucked more unwashed, sweaty dick than a two-dollar whore in Bangkok in her rush hour. Godawful game.

The story in Downpour was OK and the gameplay was fine, the only areas where it really failed was enemy design, and the framerate occasionally tanking.

plushyp

Shitty Memories had a mediocre story and basically nothing resembling decent gameplay. Homecoming sucked more unwashed, sweaty dick than a two-dollar whore in Bangkok in her rush hour. Godawful game.

The story in Downpour was OK and the gameplay was fine, the only areas where it really failed was enemy design, and the framerate occasionally tanking.
I'm not a fan of anything post 3 so yeah sure but the story was absolute garbage in Downpour and the gameplay was super janky. The quests bugged out and the frame rate more than occasionally tanked, it was downright unplayable even after patches. If anything, the water setting was interesting but the amateur implementation spoiled everything.

Combichristoffersen

I'm not a fan of anything post 3 so yeah sure but the story was absolute garbage in Downpour and the gameplay was super janky. The quests bugged out and the frame rate more than occasionally tanked, it was downright unplayable even after patches. If anything, the water setting was interesting but the amateur implementation spoiled everything.
1-3 are the best, but I liked Origins and Downpour. Other than that most after 3 is trash. The SH: Orphan games for Java phones were OK too, but obviously completely different from the main series games. Homecoming is so bad I've taken constipated shits that were more pleasant than playing that garbage.

The story in Downpour was OK, and it was kinda neat getting a sort of semi-open world. Cool to see the postman from the comics appear too. The combat was acceptable, never had any problems with the quests myself, and the framerate really only tanked when it would begin raining.

fatmarco

I liked the medium quite a lot but it performed like horseshit and crashed all the time. It was hard work to get through in that regard.

I actually really liked Tormented Souls. Felt kind of old school, yet relatively modern and the graphics are nice especially for an indie title. Never played the Medium though. Heard mixed stuff about it, but Akira Yamaoka made the soundtrack, so that’s a plus I’m sure.

Tormented Souls actually has combat unlike 98% of horror games now as well and I think it’s very solid for this type of game. The game had some good and quite clever puzzles imo and it was quite atmospheric as well.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Gold Member
Watched the wife play through The Medium. It was alright to watch, had to beat some parts for her. I genuinely don't feel it was a very good game, though it was visually and artistically very striking at times. Terrible voice acting, good music though. Kind of a dichotomous experience.

protonion

I liked TS so much I bought it physical.

It feels like a cheap old school RE clone but it is obvious it was made with love.
I loved the emphasis on puzzles. Some really good puzzles in there esp the one with the special locks.

Play it.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I have Tormented Souls and Alisa in my Steam account, didn't really delve into neither yet but fart town usa fart town usa you like need to get onto Alisa asap, the game is made for you! A great throwback to 1996 RE from what I played
Ha, I've seen that game before but didn't realize it's called Alisa. That reminds me, there's another throwback survival horror game that I bought a few weeks back, 'MURDER HOUSE', it's really cool too from what I've played.

SteadyEvo

The Medium is a walking simulator that tells a decent story with ok graphics. Towards the end the puzzles became tedious and I’d had enough. Couldn’t finish. Only played cause of Gamepass. Haven’t played the other one you mentioned.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I played the medium for about two hours I'd say. It was... fine? It just didn't grab me enough to keep going. Try it on gamepass. Tormented Souls does interest me and I'll probably pick it up at some point.

Certinty

The Medium is the definition of an average game in pretty much every way. But for the first two thirds I enjoyed it before the story fell apart and the gameplay became a bore.

tommib

I finished the medium and actually really liked it. Great visuals and atmosphere. Music is good. It’s a very old school graphical adventure with a nice budget. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 0 difficulty though.

Ran like shit on last levels on series s.

Last edited:

tommib

Ha, I've seen that game before but didn't realize it's called Alisa. That reminds me, there's another throwback survival horror game that I bought a few weeks back, 'MURDER HOUSE', it's really cool too from what I've played.

Murder House is one of the best I’ve played this year. It’s really scary and the VHS effects are adorable. How come you didn’t finish? It’s like 2 hours long.

Roberts

I have no idea how to recommend the Medium to anyone who wasn't born in Poland in the 80s, if that's you and you remember late communism the game is one big childhood easter egg. Does a way better job at that than at horror. Altogether I enjoyed it but you might as well just hate it.
Oh, trust me, in that regard it works for the whole Eastern Block, not just Poland. But yeah, the best thing about the game most likely will not even register with most western gamers.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Tormented souls is an enjoyable, janky, horribly acted and written horror game. The medium is pretty, but kinda sucks.

Robb

Gold Member
I’ve played the Medium, got about halfway through before I quit. It was definitely OK, but didn’t manage to hook me. I don’t think I’ll ever finish it.

Top Bottom