• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone here play Tormented Souls or The Medium?

Great Hair

Banned
Played The Medium for 15 minutes on Gamepass. Garbage.
True True Agree GIF

fart town usa

Gold Member
Murder House is one of the best I’ve played this year. It’s really scary and the VHS effects are adorable. How come you didn’t finish? It’s like 2 hours long.
Just got distracted with other things. I'll be back at it at some point this winter.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
So I started Tormented Souls. I was enjoying it a little bit. Then I died. And I had to start all over. Lost an hour of progress. No auto save... nothing. You have got to be fucking kidding me. That was it, I just shelved it and won't be going back to it out of principle. That's just totally unacceptable in a modern game. Even if it models itself after old school RE, you can't have someone have to start an entire damn game over.

And I was basically stuck. I had to get past these two enemies and I had no ammo left and no healing items and had to bash them with a crowbar and then one hit me and I died. What a joke.

Last edited:

Beechos

Medium was horrible. Think o.g. resident evil type gameplay. Fixed camera angles in every screen but with no action, and some light puzzles.

Bartski

Gold Member
So I started Tormented Souls. I was enjoying it a little bit. Then I died. And I had to start all over. Lost an hour of progress. No auto save... nothing. You have got to be fucking kidding me. That was it, I just shelved it and won't be going back to it out of principle. That's just totally unacceptable in a modern game. Even if it models itself after old school RE, you can't have someone have to start an entire damn game over.

And I was basically stuck. I had to get past these two enemies and I had no ammo left and no healing items and had to bash them with a crowbar and then one hit me and I died. What a joke.
Saving is basically RE ink ribbon system, there are more than enough of those to save after every combat scenario but yeah the first one is a bit late.
After dropping most enemies to the ground with the nailgun you can infinitely stunlock them with the crowbar, which kind of breaks the game 'cause you end up with way more ammo than you'll ever need for later.

Fredrik

The Medium managed to scare me properly and always had me anxious since you’re so defenseless, it’s very slow though and old school in it’s structure but I played through it and enjoyed it.

TonyK

I really really liked Tormented souls. For me, the best clone of the old Resident Evil formula. My only complaint is a couple of obtuse puzzles.

For sure the game has rough edges: enemies, combat, character models, etc... But even with those flaws, game is incredibly addictive. It produced in my some sort of challenging addiction like Souls games, close to old school survival horror games, not like recent Resident Evils.

I really really liked Tormented souls. For me, the best clone of the old Resident Evil formula. My only complaint is a couple of obtuse puzzles.

For sure the game has rough edges: enemies, combat, character models, etc... But even with those flaws, game is incredibly addictive. It produced in my some sort of challenging addiction like Souls games, close to old school survival horror games, not like recent Resident Evils.

I missed this one somehow, I will be picking tormented souls up asap, I for sure see the old resident evil formula from what I have seen, and that's enough to excite any OG RE fan.

*Edit - Bought, it's on sale at the moment on PlayStation for $13.99.

Last edited:

K' Dash

The medium it's alright, more like a puzzle solving walking simulator with chase sequences instead of the Silent Hill clone I was hoping it to be.

I liked it for what it was.

Shakka43

Haven't play The Medium but Tormented Souls is pretty good, a great call back to the early 00's horror classics.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Saving is basically RE ink ribbon system, there are more than enough of those to save after every combat scenario but yeah the first one is a bit late.
After dropping most enemies to the ground with the nailgun you can infinitely stunlock them with the crowbar, which kind of breaks the game 'cause you end up with way more ammo than you'll ever need for later.
You recommend me going back to it? How far apart are the save rooms? I don’t usually play for more than a couple hours per session, and I don’t want to go back to it if save rooms are 2 hours apart and if I die I risk basically just wasting hours of my time.

MiguelItUp

I've watched a lot of both, while the flow of the two isn't too similar, I think Tormented Souls is much better than The Medium. Which is a shame too because I was hoping The Medium would be at least decent.

I enjoyed the Medium, but then I like the fixed camera slow psychological horror thing. It also helps if the game is a real looker like it is on PC. It's really more of a cinematic game experience.

Bartski

Gold Member
You recommend me going back to it? How far apart are the save rooms? I don’t usually play for more than a couple hours per session, and I don’t want to go back to it if save rooms are 2 hours apart and if I die I risk basically just wasting hours of my time.
If you like retro janky B horror - sure! There are plenty of save rooms and most of the areas you unlock remain open till the very last part of the game - you can always just go back the closest one available on the map and save. It's just the first save room that is kinda late, in the area that opens after the basement the steam room puzzle if I remember correctly.

Honestly, my main issue with the game was that there was really little sense of danger and resource management if you use the crowbar trick on all basic enemies. 3 - 4 shots till they fall, switch to crowbar and beat them when they're downed, that stunlocks them till they die (sometimes they may get up and hit you once but then health syringes are everywhere) and you end up with too much ammo, for bigger dudes or when they rarely attack in pairs.

The story makes no sense but overall the game shines at puzzles many of which are really tough and satisfying to figure out on your own.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

tommib

Thread made me buy Tormented Souls. It’s good! Real good. House and exploration is bullseye. Puzzles are great. Music is gloomy. Well done. Of course it has a weeb waifu and voice acting is atrocious but all the rest is what I needed.

Game deserves all the love.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
If you like retro janky B horror - sure! There are plenty of save rooms and most of the areas you unlock remain open till the very last part of the game - you can always just go back the closest one available on the map and save. It's just the first save room that is kinda late, in the area that opens after the basement the steam room puzzle if I remember correctly.

Honestly, my main issue with the game was that there was really little sense of danger and resource management if you use the crowbar trick on all basic enemies. 3 - 4 shots till they fall, switch to crowbar and beat them when they're downed, that stunlocks them till they die (sometimes they may get up and hit you once but then health syringes are everywhere) and you end up with too much ammo, for bigger dudes or when they rarely attack in pairs.

The story makes no sense but overall the game shines at puzzles many of which are really tough and satisfying to figure out on your own.
I decided to give it one more go otherwise it'd be a waste of my money, and I'm enjoying it(as I was before) but it takes the enemies a good 7 shots to fall, not 3-4. Not sure if they changed the difficulty or what.

Thread made me buy Tormented Souls. It’s good! Real good. House and exploration is bullseye. Puzzles are great. Music is gloomy. Well done. Of course it has a weeb waifu and voice acting is atrocious but all the rest is what I needed.

Game deserves all the love.

I am finally doing a play-through right now, it reminds me of the glory days of early Resident Evil. I love games that don't explain anything to you, like damn, let me figure it out for myself lol.

Top Bottom