• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone here struggle to replay games you've already beaten?

Depends on how much I like a game, and sometimes the length of the game. I replayed Metroid Dread like 7 times between release and a couple months ago.

I’m replaying Elden Ring right now, and typically I play Souls games twice through on release, then many more times later, though Elden ring is a bit too long to play too many times. But I’ve played most Metroid, Resident Evil, and Souls games 6 to a dozen times each.

cireza

Banned
It depends. How different can a second run be ? If it is not that much, then I won't enjoy a second run.

Shorter games that are very fun are good candidates to be replayed.
Games where there is a good sense of progression (skill) are good as well.
And of course, games designed around the fact of replaying them.

Otherwise, for RPGs etc... that will be the exact same thing, I need to wait several years until I forget most of it.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
I barely ever replay a game, to be honest.

95% of the time I don't even finish a game, let alone replay it.

Still haven't finished Elden Ring

sad-pepe.gif

GymWolf

It is extremely rare for me to replay a game in general.

This is why unlockable max difficulty on second run is the biggest bullshit ever.

Y0ssarian

Banned
I used to replay games all the time, redoing Halo missions or replaying stuff like Conkers Bad Fur Day, Sonic Adventure, Ocarina of Time etc. I mainly play jrpgs now and they're long, so I usually don't replay them. My backlog is 39 games deep so I'm just going to start something new every time

DelireMan7

I don't have problem replaying games. For Soulsborne, I always do several runs in a row.

I also like replaying games I have already done several years ago.
It's the same for books, comics, movies, TV shows actually... I love going back to thing I liked.

I mean if I enjoyed something, I'd like to do it again.

Last edited:
Totally depends on the game. Some games, there's no way I'll ever play them again, whereas with others, I'll definitely hop right back in

Markio128

Yeah, depends on the game. I only finished Cyberpunk 2077 a couple of days ago and I’ve already started it again because I want to play it out a bit differently (completed as a Street kid and now playing as a Corpo), and most importantly, the game is pretty fun and certainly does not outstay its welcome - I think I completed my first run in 22 hours.

MadPanda

Banned
I rarely replay games and I need quite some time for that. I'm replaying Elden Ring right now but I'm going for the alternate ending so doing only the necessary stuff. No way I'd play it all again back to back.

Fools idol

Banned
Depends on the game

Souls games = hell no, I can replay infinitely

Something like RDR2 which I loved to death hell yes because playing through that again would be like jogging on the beach in boots made from steel.

chixdiggit

Recently I just finished Half Life Alyx for the second time and did a new Game + RE Village run. But it really takes a special kind of game to get a replay from me as it doesn't happen too often for story type games.

Strategy games are a whole different thing of course.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Depends for me

I can play Sonic like no tomorrow, and most arcade games too

Recently I played the first Halo, Metal Gear Rising, Arkham Asylum...

But I can't see myself playing Persona 5 or Witcher III again

GametimeUK

If I replay a game my mind tells me my time could be spent playing a game I haven't played before. I avoid replaying games for now so I can finish games in my backlog.

DaGwaphics

I basically never touch a single player game again once I've finished the story. With the exceptions being games with a lot of replayability, like Hitman or something like that.

However, I'm fine with that. I purchase something knowing that the entertainment I'll get from it is a single run through the campaign.

Last edited:

DinoD

Heavy story driven games. I recently tried to replay TLOU2 ( thought it would be fun with 60 fps PS5 update and retaining the weapons from the previous run). I just couldn't. I didn't hate the game, but I just couldn't relate to its characters (Dinah-Abbey relation) and I generally didn't like any of them at all.

Last edited:

Valt7786

Depends on the game really. Resident evils (except village), bloodborne, elden ring, i can replay over and over and love every second of it. But as much as i love the uncharted games, cant replay them straight away.

CyberChulo

During the 8 and 16 bit days it was easier as the action games were about 1 to 2 hours to beat and you knew what to do since the games weren't that complicated. I finished Elden Ring after about 150 hours and replayed it right after and loat interest after I reached the Snow fields again.

killatopak

Gold Member
I replay games all the time. A game doesn't suddenly become a bad game the moment you finish it.

I replay like RE yearly.

Paasei

I play a shitton of games over and over. Some games just remain fun forever. Wether it be mods, other choices or just encourages replayability overall. It would be a really long list of games should I name all of them, but they mostly consist of immersive sims with stealth (Hitman, Thief, Prey) or RPGs like Fallout, TES, Witcher.

Last edited:

Rodolink

im on the samw wagon man, its really hard for me to repeat a game/movie/series/book any media not because I don't want to but because life's to short and as you said backlog is huge so I better start the next thing than replay stuff.
Only times I actually replay is when there's a remake/remaster of a game I really liked.
Latest games I really wanted to keep playing postcredits were FF VII remake, RDR II, and just last week Elden Ring.
And for replaying full campaign I've tried Dark Souls but no I think most I do is like an hour or so.
I'm not young anymore when I could replay Ocarina of time 10 times (which I actually did xD) or Wind Waker (4 times).

aclar00

Id argue this is common for most people, particular as you get older. For whatever reason, children, up to and including teens, have an easier time with repetitiveness. Think eating pizza or fries (chips) over and over again, or watching the same movie everyday for 3 months. Or listening to We Dont Talk About Bruno for the upteenth time in one day.

I thinkbits just the way we are wired.

Fbh

For sure, for me it's not even that I'm not having fun or that I'm annoyed replaying the same sections. It's just that there's SO much interesting stuff to play these days that I'll usually prefer spending my limited gaming time on something new that I've never experienced before instead of something I'm familiar with.

I usually find it easier to replay games right after I finished them, assuming they aren't extremely long and they have good replay value, like say Dark Souls or Bayonetta 2. It's after I'm officially done with the game that I find it hard to pick up again.

tygertrip

It's always been an issue for me. Especially right after you finish the game, some people start the game over right away to get another ending or do a different character build. I've tried to do it a bunch of times over the last several years, and I can't get more than a couple hours in where I'm just like ugh... the same dialogue, the same action, the same missions/quests. And then I look over in the corner and see a stack of games in my backlog I've yet to play and I get antsy and quit.

For those who are the same way, how much time has to elapse to where you'd be able to replay games again? I've been able to replay games in the past where so much time has gone by that I forgot most of it. I was thinking about going back and replaying a bunch of PS1 RPGs that have been remastered, that I've beaten years ago at some point in their original releases. Have a feeling halfway through the game though I'm going to get bored and not be able to justify spending 50+ hours on games I've already beaten, but who knows maybe I'll be able to get through them and will be happy I did go back and play through them again. And possibly even find something in games I loved that I didn't find the first time.

Curious if anyone who's like me who really struggles to replay games has ever done the same thing and how it went for you replaying decades old games you've beaten years prior. Were you able to get through them when enough time has passed? And if so, did it give you a new appreciation for them at all?
Why in the fuck would I replay a game I've already beat? Last time I did that was in the early 16-bit days. Goddamn, life is too short.

tygertrip

Id argue this is common for most people, particular as you get older. For whatever reason, children, up to and including teens, have an easier time with repetitiveness. Think eating pizza or fries (chips) over and over again, or watching the same movie everyday for 3 months. Or listening to We Dont Talk About Bruno for the upteenth time in one day.

I thinkbits just the way we are wired.
Can confirm. I haven't replayed a single-player game since I was a teenager. Wait, scratch that, I beat Quake 1 multiple times in my early 20s. But that's different, I was still young, and 5jat shit was mind-blowingly advanced, in a way that young'ns today will never be able to understand (maybe with VR they could).

saintjules

Back in the SNES/PS1-2 days, I'd find myself playing games on repeat. Mainly because I was younger and I wasn't working. Games were harder to obtain. Nowadays a lot of the games I own are one and done once I buy them.

For example, I'd shudder at the thought of replaying an entire playthrough of Persona 5 again. I LOVED the game, but just to play it again to experience certain moments? Eh, not really. I was tempted to play Royal, but that wasn't enough for me to dive back in a second time. It's harder to replay JRPGs because of how long they are.

Maybe shorter titles and fighting games mainly. Or something like Returnal I'd come back to from time to time.

Last edited:

tygertrip

im on the samw wagon man, its really hard for me to repeat a game/movie/series/book any media not because I don't want to but because life's to short and as you said backlog is huge so I better start the next thing than replay stuff.
Only times I actually replay is when there's a remake/remaster of a game I really liked.
Latest games I really wanted to keep playing postcredits were FF VII remake, RDR II, and just last week Elden Ring.
And for replaying full campaign I've tried Dark Souls but no I think most I do is like an hour or so.
I'm not young anymore when I could replay Ocarina of time 10 times (which I actually did xD) or Wind Waker (4 times).
I feel ya. That's the thing... life is just too damn short, and there are too many games. Not to mention, there is more than like than games.

If I really love a game I also enjoy replaying it, but usually I'll take a few years before diving back in. The only times I can remember playing a game again immediately after finishing the first time was Demon's Souls (PS3) and RE4.

MacReady13

I have finished Mario World, Turtles In Time, Mega Man 3, Battletoads, Super Mario Bros 3 and plenty of the 8 and 16 bit games countless times over. Resident Evil 4 I have replayed over 50 times. A game has to be really good for me to go back to it. I'm currently replaying Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy on Switch. Most games from today I will barely get through them and then it's forgotten about fairly quickly.

A.Romero

I have limited time for gaming and I like to try as many of them as possible. Very rarely I have replayed a game. In recent times I think I only replayed Spider-man for PS4 and got the platinum.

In the past I have finished most MGS games more than once, for example.

Why do you want to replay a game you already completed?

It's the same story, the same things you do again.

My girlfriend doesn't mind watching a movie alone when I'm at work and then rewatch it the very same day I get home.
Hell I barely rewatch movies I've already seen. I mean, I know what happens. I remember it so it's not the same rewatching it.
So with your logic you never listen to the same song twice?

Kssio_Aug

I very, very rarely do, since I have too many games I'd like to play.

But in these very rare occasions, it only happens in games that are not too focused on narrative. As others have said, most games nowadays are too bloated, and with zero replayability.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

im replaying dead rising 2 right now and loving the crap out of it. and i just came off of replaying dead rising 1 and resident evil 4.

however all 3 of those are the HD remasters. would you consider playing the remasters a replay or does that get a pass since it looks shiny and new DragoonKain DragoonKain ?? lets assume for arguments sake its just a remaster like 4k and 1080 or whatever. no new content or DLC/skins/etc.

dorkimoe

Yeah. The second I finish a game I’m over it. It sucks cuz when I start I’m thinking how I’ll 100% it and get all collectibles but I’m burnt out by the end

Jaybe

The games I’d replay are few and far between. These characteristics help:
NG+ and continuing the progression system.
The more linear and shorter the better
highly enjoyable gameplay to me
Skippable cutscenes, limited or no slow walk
Perhaps there is some increased difficulty or play style achievement that’s fun to attempt
I remember immediately going through TLOU1 remastered and Dead Space back in the day.

Amiga

These days there are many games to go 2 after completing a game. There has to be more to offer for me to keep playing from the start.

Here are the things and games that made me replay in recent years:

1- Compact fun Gameplay
like Uncharted games 2-4, just pick the level and have fun playing in different ways. the post game shop let's you revers mirror the world and have OP guns. I replayed everyone of these 3 games more than once and still want to go back to them. Last of Us was less so because of resource grind and the slower nature of the gameplay. other examples are R&KPS5 and Vanquish.
Example of non shooters are NiOh1+2/FFO:SOP, tight levels with different strategies and fun combat with incredible depth and variety, best real time sword and magic system IMOO.

2- Alternate Story Path
Substantial amount of different narrative to experience. Resident Evil 2Re dose this great, Nier Automata did it even better, with different conversations and alternations in the world, good enough to get me over the the combat that got old.
Chrono Trigger still remains the gold standard for this element even after decades.

3- Rewards
Loot. Diablo and Borderlands are the obvious example and don't need explaining. My personal favorites are NiOh1+2/FFO:SOP. Most games unfortunately exploit the collection compulsion in a bad way.

4- Close Path to Platinum Trophy
By making most trophies achievable in playing the game fully and and being over-grindy and hiding a billion collectibles. If I find myself a few trophies away I do put time into getting them post ending. Sony games generally have the best measure in this

Hades has elements 1+2+3, insane replay value in that game. It's the best modern template for replay value.
NiOh1+2/FFO:SOP. have elements 1+3+4, if it had alternate story paths it would have had the complete formula.

_Ex_

It is extraordinarily rare for me to replay a game I have previously beaten. I am far more interested in exploring fresh content, than rehashing where I've already been. Too many games, too little time. Edit: That is not to say I don't on rare occasion replay a truly brilliant title out of nostalgia, but that is by far the exception not the rule.

Last edited:

tygertrip

It is extraordinarily rare for me to replay a game I have previously beaten. I am far more interested in exploring fresh content, than rehashing where I've already been. Too many games, too little time. Edit: That is not to say I don't on rare occasion replay a truly brilliant title out of nostalgia, but that is by far the exception not the rule.
I agree completely. I should clarify that I mean modern games. Games from the Atari to the PS/Saturn era were usually so short, that I often replayed them. I still do sometimes. Hell, I fire up 2600 Yars Revenge at least once a year (though it can't be beat, so I guess that doesn't count). As an aside, I'll go to my deathbed saying Yars is one of the greatest games EVER made. While I'm degressing from the topic, I'll also go to my deathbed saying that E.T. (by the same designer as Yar's) is nowhere NEAR the worst game ever made (also off-topic, but it is beatable at least... I beat it hundreds of times as a 10 year old, lol).

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
im replaying dead rising 2 right now and loving the crap out of it. and i just came off of replaying dead rising 1 and resident evil 4.

however all 3 of those are the HD remasters. would you consider playing the remasters a replay or does that get a pass since it looks shiny and new DragoonKain DragoonKain ?? lets assume for arguments sake its just a remaster like 4k and 1080 or whatever. no new content or DLC/skins/etc.
RE2 remake was amazing. I think it helped that I hadn’t played it images, but even then it was so new and fresh I had no issues playing it. One of my favorite games this generation.

But that’s not a remaster, that’s a remake. If you mean only remasters, for me it would depend on how long since I played it. I think at some point I’m going to go back and play FFVIII or IX remasters and see how it goes. My hunch is I probably won’t be as or to get through it again. Probably because of the length. It’s harder for me to replay games that are 50+ hours seeing a pile of games I never played before in the corner. But I’m gonna give it a shot.

Chronicle

I rarely if ever replay. I beat it so it doesn't appeal to me usually to play it again. Must be really special. For me GoW 3, Gears of War, the witcher 3.

Old Retro

I used to be able to beat the same exact game twice but that got old. I'll pick up the countless remakes/reboots of RE titles and 16 bit ports like Mega Man X. More recent games I can't bring myself to do it. Did that quite often in the NES/Genesis days though.

I loved Biomutant and think it's a phenominal game. It gives you the chance to beat it a totally different way the 2nd time around but I stopped after an hour and went on to play Ghost Recon Wildlands. Something else I don't have patience for is complete all the side missions after the main campaign/boss is finished.

When I pick up a Switch, I'll probably revisit all the Metroids in order before I get Dread. I did that with all Metal Gears before Phantom Pain.

Top Bottom