• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone playing WoW Dragonflight?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Haven't subbed to World of Warcraft since BFA. Got the Shadow lands collectors digital edition or whatever its called for free, but never played it.

I've been against sub, but I just don't enjoy the alternatives.

New world is fun but lacks content. I don't like guild wars 2 skills locked behind weapons, and combat in ESO is the worst in the industry.

I keep hearing good things about it, and I gotta admit the upcoming trading post makes me feel I get more for my sub than just access to play the game.

It's just like the hype has either died in here, or people just dgaf and plays instead of having to advertise for the game.

But I want to hear your impressions of dragonflight Gaf.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Nah, I only played wotlk classic. The rest is too bloated so I doubt Ill ever jump to curent exp. Atm I stopped wotlk as well cuz Im playing some other stuff but whenever there is really nothing to play, I'll just go back to my classic nostalgic experience at least until they decide to scrape it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yeah, ended up playing. Normally wouldn't touch retail WoW but there's like 20 people on my Discord playing so it's hard to say no, any game is fun with friends.

Mythic+ and the first raid are both out now so there's actually something to do if you don't like PVP. From what I hear they've stripped out a LOT of bullshit from the last few expansions, as a person who plays one character I had very very little to do in the open world to get my iLvL up after I hit max, it's a very alt-friendly expansion.

The dragon riding is neat, shouldn't have to be a main selling point in a 2022 video game, they could have bolted it on years ago, but here we are.

It's solid but if you're not planning on doing PVP or Mythic+ I wouldn't pay the upgrade and monthly fee. Or you could play Dragonflight and WotLK Classic on the side, I'm doing a little bit of that, it's +50% XP until January.

Last edited:

The_Mike

Yeah, ended up playing. Normally wouldn't touch retail WoW but there's like 20 people on my Discord playing so it's hard to say no, any game is fun with friends.

Mythic+ and the first raid are both out now so there's actually something to do if you don't like PVP. From what I hear they've stripped out a LOT of bullshit from the last few expansions, as a person who plays one character I had very very little to do in the open world to get my iLvL up after I hit max, it's a very alt-friendly expansion.

The dragon riding is neat, shouldn't have to be a main selling point in a 2022 video game, they could have bolted it on years ago, but here we are.

It's solid but if you're not planning on doing PVP or Mythic+ I wouldn't pay the upgrade and monthly fee. Or you could play Dragonflight and WotLK Classic on the side, I'm doing a little bit of that, it's +50% XP until January.
What do you mean with alt friendly?

Is there nothing to do when hitting max level?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
22ciRuc.gif

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
What do you mean with alt friendly?

Is there nothing to do when hitting max level?

Depends what you want to do, but M+ is out now which you can do infinitely and is the best part of the game. I literally didn't do a single heroic dungeon, skipped straight to M+0, was no incentive to do anything less. We're doing 12s now as people not really tryharding. First raid is out and has some good fights but that's a weekly thing. PVP is constant as always. If you like cosmetics there's a fuck ton you can do, I just couldn't care less so I don't bother. Professions also for goldmaking.

They just seem to have removed a lot of stuff that you feel like you "should" do to keep up. There's barely any world quests and then respawn very very slowly compared to what I remember from Legion.

The main point is that your alts will automatically unlock tons of stuff like improved dragonriding early on to make alt levelling MUCH faster. 60-70 doesn't take long anyway, you just follow the entire campaign and you're nearly done in like a day.

ShadowLag

Haven't subbed to World of Warcraft since BFA. Got the Shadow lands collectors digital edition or whatever its called for free, but never played it.

New world is fun but lacks content. I don't like guild wars 2 skills locked behind weapons, and combat in ESO is the worst in the industry.

I keep hearing good things about it, and I gotta admit the upcoming trading post makes me feel I get more for my sub than just access to play the game.

It's just like the hype has either died in here, or people just dgaf and plays instead of having to advertise for the game.

I've been playing WoW since 2005; a year into vanilla. I've played every expansion since - multiple characters to max level in every one. I'm super jaded when it comes to the modern game - the last time I really put endgame effort in was WoD. I haven't raided or done anything seriously ever since, and that was back in 2014.

I'm a couple weeks into Dragonflight, and I can honestly say that, so far, it's the best expansion since WotLK. For reference, my favorite time period of the game was late BC through mid-WotLK.

I feel that every expansion post Cataclysm has been destroying the game piece by piece. Thankfully, DF has ripped out nearly all of the problems I've had with the game since post-Cata.

• Borrowed power aka "SYSTEMS" that have been killing the game since Legion are now gone. It's now just your character and the gear you equip... just like Classic / BC / Wrath / Cataclysm / MoP. Log in, kill stuff, equip loot, and you are more powerful. No more convoluted menus and grinds that will invalidate themselves every patch.
  • Classes are all about customization again. The classic style talent trees are back, and they're bigger than ever, with more customization/hybridization than even the originals. Viability of choices will forever be a balancing act, but at least you have the choice to pick up what you want again - and there are a ton of choices.
  • Professions have received the most massive overhaul they've ever gotten. They've taken a page out of FF14's book, and included profession equipment in the game - each profession has a few slots in its main window where you can equip tools and accessories, which boost profession stats, which affect the quality, speed, and efficiency of your crafting. There are now also talent trees tied to each profession, allowing you to level up in different sub-categories of your profession - allowing you to focus on the type of Jewelcrafter, Enchanter, etc. you want to be.
  • Flying is available minutes into the expansion via Dragonriding. You get special dragon mounts really early which utilize actual momentum and slight physics controls to stay in the air - they don't magically float like current flying mounts. Your dragon mounts all share a mini-talent tree, in which you collect magical mario coins throughout the world by flying into them, to level them up with more stamina, speed, and abilities. This is account-wide, super alt friendly. Dragonriding is satisfying and fun. I actually look forward to manually travelling to my next objective because it's a game within itself. There are also race courses scattered around the isles that let you test your flying abilities to earn rewards, and even race against other players.
  • The Dragon Isles are packed full of content everywhere you look. Tons of optional side stuff to do, including random exploration with cool rewards. WoW's zones have felt dull and lifeless to me for a very long time, which is why I was so shocked to find DF's zones packed with life and energy. There's always something to do, I always feel like logging on to find more things to do, and I'm always rewarded meaningfully for what I do.
  • Art, music, design, everything is just on point. It feels like a completely different team made this than the ones that made BFA and Shadowlands. I love it.

Wooxsvan

my friend gifted me Dragonflight, i logged in over the course of a week or 2 in the time before and after it launched. I got in, did a quest, logged out. game is just so dated. so tired of the style and mechanics. its dead Jim. I played vanilla-Cata. went back for each expansion for a bit after that but its over for me.

Holammer

Nope, been discussing installing Project 1999 on and off for awhile now. Me and some friends could easily get a 3-4 player party going.
Almost itching to play Cleric or Enchanter again.

The_Mike

I've been playing WoW since 2005; a year into vanilla. I've played every expansion since - multiple characters to max level in every one. I'm super jaded when it comes to the modern game - the last time I really put endgame effort in was WoD. I haven't raided or done anything seriously ever since, and that was back in 2014.

I'm a couple weeks into Dragonflight, and I can honestly say that, so far, it's the best expansion since WotLK. For reference, my favorite time period of the game was late BC through mid-WotLK.

I feel that every expansion post Cataclysm has been destroying the game piece by piece. Thankfully, DF has ripped out nearly all of the problems I've had with the game since post-Cata.

• Borrowed power aka "SYSTEMS" that have been killing the game since Legion are now gone. It's now just your character and the gear you equip... just like Classic / BC / Wrath / Cataclysm / MoP. Log in, kill stuff, equip loot, and you are more powerful. No more convoluted menus and grinds that will invalidate themselves every patch.
  • Classes are all about customization again. The classic style talent trees are back, and they're bigger than ever, with more customization/hybridization than even the originals. Viability of choices will forever be a balancing act, but at least you have the choice to pick up what you want again - and there are a ton of choices.
  • Professions have received the most massive overhaul they've ever gotten. They've taken a page out of FF14's book, and included profession equipment in the game - each profession has a few slots in its main window where you can equip tools and accessories, which boost profession stats, which affect the quality, speed, and efficiency of your crafting. There are now also talent trees tied to each profession, allowing you to level up in different sub-categories of your profession - allowing you to focus on the type of Jewelcrafter, Enchanter, etc. you want to be.
  • Flying is available minutes into the expansion via Dragonriding. You get special dragon mounts really early which utilize actual momentum and slight physics controls to stay in the air - they don't magically float like current flying mounts. Your dragon mounts all share a mini-talent tree, in which you collect magical mario coins throughout the world by flying into them, to level them up with more stamina, speed, and abilities. This is account-wide, super alt friendly. Dragonriding is satisfying and fun. I actually look forward to manually travelling to my next objective because it's a game within itself. There are also race courses scattered around the isles that let you test your flying abilities to earn rewards, and even race against other players.
  • The Dragon Isles are packed full of content everywhere you look. Tons of optional side stuff to do, including random exploration with cool rewards. WoW's zones have felt dull and lifeless to me for a very long time, which is why I was so shocked to find DF's zones packed with life and energy. There's always something to do, I always feel like logging on to find more things to do, and I'm always rewarded meaningfully for what I do.
  • Art, music, design, everything is just on point. It feels like a completely different team made this than the ones that made BFA and Shadowlands. I love it.
Sounds interesting and like alot has changed.

I've heard it's alt friendly which is nice. With a daughter I no longer have the time to do a thousand different crap things to have fun.

Is it easy to earn gold? I was pretty good at it in bfa.

my friend gifted me Dragonflight, i logged in over the course of a week or 2 in the time before and after it launched. I got in, did a quest, logged out. game is just so dated. so tired of the style and mechanics. its dead Jim. I played vanilla-Cata. went back for each expansion for a bit after that but its over for me.
To each their own.

I have played literally any mmorpg on the market, and I just can't stand the action mmorpg games.

While being dated, world of Warcraft is the best combat hands down ever in a mmorpg.

Warhammer online was on par, but ea killed it prematurely

ShadowLag

Is it easy to earn gold? I was pretty good at it in bfa.
Due to professions being super relevant again, yeah, you can make tons of gold with them. Gathering professions like mining are always gonna be a money printer, especially. Not to mention you gain xp from gathering, so you can start right away ;)

I love it so far.

I started with WoW on its release date, quit when I got to college before Burning Crusade, came back for a bit during BFA, quit again, came back for the end of Shadowlands and now Dragonflight. I'm a casual solo player who couldn't care less about raiding, mythic dungeons and rated PVP.

It's hard to describe why I like this expansion so much - I think it's because it's so chill. I'm not even level 70 yet and I don't care - for the first time in WoW I'm not racing to level cap so the game will start becoming fun. I'm having fun just doing the main story, leveling up my mining and blacksmithing, and flying around. I never gave a FUCK about professions before, but I'm totally into this shit now. I could see professions becoming my main focus.

If you're a hardcore MMO player, maybe it's not the best expansion for you. I want to play WoW to relax, and not feel like I'm forced to do certain things because it's the only way to progress or "access the fun". I haven't even made it to the main city yet in this expansion lol. I've only done two dungeons. Tonight, I'm going to do more dragon races, hunt for dragon glyphs and mining nodes and maybe advance the story a bit. For the first time in a long time, I'm not approaching my WoW gaming session like I have "work to do".

Rush2112

Banned
Quit wow after all my friends left. When i returned i found out that no one would group with me unless i paid them. Uninstalled and never returned again.

Paasei

Been playing it with friends and while they stay around, so will I.

If you like PvE then this is the WoW version to play. If you are into PvP then you're better off with WotLK classic.

Also think classes are more unique in the latter, but the dragonflying and how you can improve your character is great. It's also alt friendly for once.
But again, if you are primarily a solo player, you can do loads of things, but it just won't be fun in the long run.

Classic has great elements to the game itself, and I sitll think I'd like it more were it not for the extreme amount of min/maxing that is required for anything pve related while it's simply just piss easy. Mostly the playerbase is what ruined that for me. Only 3 servers that are alive and none of them are properly balanced. It's a little less worse for wear than I make it out to be, but be prepared that these are real issues you will face.

I seen a trailer, but I deadass forgot about it.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I'm already ready for a fresh Classic server. Vanilla-only, with no plan to move to BC. When the classic playerbase split from vanilla to BC, the vanilla-focused players kinda got screwed.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I know the game isn't popular here but for anyone interested this video pretty much sums up my experience:

Mine was a mix between elation and migraines. It is certainly the best expansion in a while, but its community has gone too far into the ditch that it actively makes playing the game not fun. Especially if you attempt to do mythic raiding.

Couple that with some very noticeable and questionable writing decisions and quests that feel heavy handed, systems that feel not thought out (especially certain professions), and the same endless mythic + grind for better loot - it just ends up feeling like a chore to play.

Its on the right path, but you can still feel the lack of a soul that has been missing since MoP.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I didn't have much time to devote to WoW over the last ten months, but this weekend I sat down and finished the Dragonflight campaign and loved it. Best expansion in a long long long time. At first I hated Dragonriding, but after you level it up it's better than normal flying mounts at max level. Your dragon can speed across the zones much quicker than a normal flying mount.

Really curious what's planned for the 20th anniversary next year.

I spent three weeks re-leveling my shaman, flew once on the dragon, then canceled my subscription. My guild died years ago, it's not coming back.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Im way too behind on the story/lore. Everytime someone metnions WoW, I just have the urge to resub and play WoTLK for a month. Nothing WoW has done past it, has surpassed WoTLK.

edit: huh I already replied in this thread with almost the same thing lmao. Anyway fuck modern WoW, long live the Lich King!

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
I think I've finally just gotten tired of this iteration of Warcraft. I think it needs a sequel or reboot or something. Just burnt out on it. Still one of my top 3 all time favorite games in my life, maybe #1 actually because of all the great times with friends. I even subbed to the print magazine they ran for a year or so. Great years of my life, but it's all moved on now.

Top Bottom