• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone seen any good movies lately?

Mr Hyde

The Cook, the thief, his wife & her lover

One of the more fucked up films I've seen in recent years. It's hard to even give it some kind of review, it's like a disgusting train wreck, you want to look away but you can't, you have to know what's coming next.

The plot is absurd, the cinematography is hallucinatory, red and dark colors with lavish sets and outlandish wardrobes (designed by Jean-Paul Gaultier) and the acting is surreal and over the top. Not a single actor is behaving like a normal human being, it's like aliens possessed their bodies and they try to act human. It's like a renaissance theater act where everybody's dropping acid and the director left the camera on.

The story takes place entirely in a fancy restaurant run by a mobster who treats his wife and guests like shit. The kitchen is run by a deranged cook, you have an androgynous boy singing opera while doing the dishes, a half naked chef chopping up dogs and pigs and god knows what, while Helen Mirren, who plays the wife of the mobster, and her lover, have sex in the kitchens meat processing room or whatever you call it. Not the least bit romantic but they fuck whenever they can, even in a godamn food truck filled with stinking meat and chopped off pig heads.

This movie is absolutely fucked up and disturbing but it definitely leaves a lasting impression, and that's something that's gotta give. Strong acting too by Helen Mirren and the fella who plays the mobster boss, he's hilarious and wreaks havoc like no other. It's not everyday you watch something so cerebral like this, that embraces its surreal nature and just lets it out on the screen, with zero fucks given.

teezzy

Banned
MV5BM2JkNGU0ZGMtZjVjNS00NjgyLWEyOWYtZmRmZGQyN2IxZjA2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTIzOTk5ODM@._V1_.jpg

You kids and your goofy John Wick

Bourne Identity is still a 10/10 for me. I plan on watching them all.

Love the car chases. European car chases are always dope af. Matt Damon always on point, he'd beat John Wick's ass - hands down. Franka Potente is hella babe in this. Movie is so low-key stylish and the cinematography is blissful. Color grading is top tier and understated. I can't get enough.

the_bourne_identity_1280.jpg

Also whoever did the costume design for this should've won an Oscar. Jason Bourne is one stylish ass mofo. Turtlenecks everywhere. I wanted to cop all his sweaters and jackets fr.

10/10 and then some. One slick ass movie that has aged like wine. Soundtrack is pure 2002 electronic nirvana as well.

Last edited:

INC

Bourne trilogy is legit, my only complaint is in ultimatum the shake cam fighting goes a bit to far, but thats about it

Other than that 10/10, and the series ended there, no need to watch the other movies, released after

teezzy

Banned
Bourne trilogy is legit, my only complaint is in ultimatum the shake cam fighting goes a bit to far, but thats about it

Other than that 10/10, and the series ended there, no need to watch the other movies, released after

A buddy and me in a Discord I'm in are watching all 5. Neither of us have seen past Ultimatum. He was saying Ultimatum was the best of the OG trilogy and I was saying Identity was best. We're tryna figure out who is right lol

INC

A buddy and me in a Discord I'm in are watching all 5. Neither of us have seen past Ultimatum. He was saying Ultimatum was the best of the OG trilogy and I was saying Identity was best. We're tryna figure out who is right lol

Ya both wrong, its supremacy ;)

Supremacy
Identity
Ultimatum

Fuck the other 2

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Last night we watched two versions of A Christmas Carol back to back me and my dad lol.

First was the 1935 version which was the first ever talkie cinematic version. Fucking incredible and way ahead of its time. You could tell they were into Fritz Lang and had all this gothic noir set design and framing. After all this is a kind of dark fantasy in a way. You could tell the people were freezing and huddled away in these tiny rooms. The atmosphere of foggy London was so thick and apparently the script was very accurate to the book.

Then we saw the 1951 version. Much more Hollywood, bigger sets, more well lit, and a far bigger emphasis on Scrooge’s backstory. There was a kind of subplot these uber capitalists corrupting him which I thought was a bit heavy handed. I prefer the first but this was a classic for decades and you can see why.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
poster_opt.jpg
The Bloodhound (2020)

The-Bloodhound.jpg

Meh. Creepy but the plot goes nowhere. Poor use of 3 act structure. This is an Edgar Allan Poe story? Meh

Fake and gay / 10

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Climax

French auteur Gaspar Noe is one of my favorite filmmakers. His films are complex, disturbing, evocative, while also demonstrating a technical brilliance in camera operating, editing and effects. All of his movies are unique showpieces, meant to assault the mind with shocking images, but also to show a nihilistic view of humankind and the psychological, and physical, impact of our life choices. It tends to get overly philosophical at times, and could be seen as style over substance, but I'd say his movies are generally style with substance.

Climax is his most accessible film to date, but it employs all of his filmmastering techniques he's showed off over the years, such as his unique use of camera work, his use of continuous shots (the final act is edited so it looks like a 45 minute uncut long take), his use of cerebral images and shocking subject matter, and his minimalistic approach to storytelling.

Climax takes place in Paris in the mid 90s. A dance troupe is celebrating their last rehearsal before heading off for touring, and they throw an after party as a final send off. What the group don't know, is that the alcohol they are drinking has been laced with acid by one of the dancers, so the whole party goes awry and ends in a total clusterfuck.

It's a cautionary tale, showing off the effects of a drug that fucks you up beyond repair. The cool thing about it, is that Noe does it without any enhancing fx, but through the use of his unique camera work. For example, in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, another film about the effects of acid, is mostly done with computer imagery to show the side effects of what the user experiences, such as moving objects, distorted images and colors, but in Climax, the camera becomes an actor itself, and turns and twist as a means to show how these dancers feel when high on acid. He also does this without hot morality takes or pointing fingers, leaving it up to the viewer themselves to judge the horrors on screen.

Climax also has a banging soundtrack made by Thomas Bangalter, one half of Daft Punk, which emphasize the dancing and emotions these actors go through over the course of the film. One must also mention, the extremely impressive dance act at the beginning, beautifully choreographed by the talented dancers in the movie.

Climax is a hell of a ride, and Gaspar Noes best movie to date. It has all the hall marks of his earlier work and he blends them all in to one beautiful fucked up movie.

Mr Hyde

Krampus

Probably the best Christmas themed holiday horror movie since Gremlins. I don't know much about the ancient folklore surrounding Krampus, but it makes for one hell of an entertaining movie.

Director Michael Dougherty is no stranger to holiday themed movies, he made the excellent anthology movie Trick r Treat, which was based on Halloween. Its concept and framing was unusual for a horror movie, and made for something quite unique. Krampus is done much in the same way, except a little bit more traditional and mainstream friendly, but still lots of fun.

It starts out as a classic Christmas movie, with light comedic elements, about a jolly family who must endure Christmas with their redneck cousins, but the premise quickly transcends into a full blown horror movie where everyone is fighting for their lives. It's a classic bait and switch setup, and although its light on gore, it has some very tense, and often hilarious scenes, moving the plot forward.

Excellent use of practical effects, with handcrafted costumes, puppetry and animatronics, instead of bullshit cgi. Made it so much more believable and compelling to watch. Midway through, the movie goes completely off the rails and introduces some mischievous toys that's been brought to life by the demon creature Krampus, antagonizing the protagonists in all sorts of funny ways, and the result is very entertaining.

Krampus felt like an homage to classic Joe Dante movies and creature features such as Gremlins or Critters, or maybe old Roger Corman B-movies from the 50s. You don't have to think to much, just strap on and enjoy the ride.

teezzy

Banned
7ff8dd16ae6ea8f7d2201478390a0cef.jpg

Bourne Supremacy - 9/10

Supremacy is a damn fine film. The best thing about the Bourne trilogy is how clean and clinical they are. They're stylishly executed but never in your face or ostentatious with their design choices. Excellent fight choreography and the shaky cam was applied nicely where needed. Two awesome car chases here, but not nearly a car chase movie. Ultimately I love this movie too. Not quite Bourne Identity though. Identity feels so fresh and is just oozing with style and intrigue. This one here is about as solid as a follow up could be. Warmer color grading, nice use of camera effects, etc. I wasn't yearning for Damon's wardrobe as much as I was in the original, but it all comes together nicely. This is how action movies should be.

Sniper GIF by memecandy

Jtibh

Banned
Climax

French auteur Gaspar Noe is one of my favorite filmmakers. His films are complex, disturbing, evocative, while also demonstrating a technical brilliance in camera operating, editing and effects. All of his movies are unique showpieces, meant to assault the mind with shocking images, but also to show a nihilistic view of humankind and the psychological, and physical, impact of our life choices. It tends to get overly philosophical at times, and could be seen as style over substance, but I'd say his movies are generally style with substance.

Climax is his most accessible film to date, but it employs all of his filmmastering techniques he's showed off over the years, such as his unique use of camera work, his use of continuous shots (the final act is edited so it looks like a 45 minute uncut long take), his use of cerebral images and shocking subject matter, and his minimalistic approach to storytelling.

Climax takes place in Paris in the mid 90s. A dance troupe is celebrating their last rehearsal before heading off for touring, and they throw an after party as a final send off. What the group don't know, is that the alcohol they are drinking has been laced with acid by one of the dancers, so the whole party goes awry and ends in a total clusterfuck.

It's a cautionary tale, showing off the effects of a drug that fucks you up beyond repair. The cool thing about it, is that Noe does it without any enhancing fx, but through the use of his unique camera work. For example, in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, another film about the effects of acid, is mostly done with computer imagery to show the side effects of what the user experiences, such as moving objects, distorted images and colors, but in Climax, the camera becomes an actor itself, and turns and twist as a means to show how these dancers feel when high on acid. He also does this without hot morality takes or pointing fingers, leaving it up to the viewer themselves to judge the horrors on screen.

Climax also has a banging soundtrack made by Thomas Bangalter, one half of Daft Punk, which emphasize the dancing and emotions these actors go through over the course of the film. One must also mention, the extremely impressive dance act at the beginning, beautifully choreographed by the talented dancers in the movie.

Climax is a hell of a ride, and Gaspar Noes best movie to date. It has all the hall marks of his earlier work and he blends them all in to one beautiful fucked up movie.

I made my wife watch irreversible.
She was disturbed to say the least lol

INC

The film is shit apart from the violent club scene, and I dont wanna watch a 5min rape scene again, thats the only 2 things in this film that even made it notable, 2 shock value moment.

Jtibh

Banned
The film is shit apart from the violent club scene, and I dont wanna watch a 5min rape scene again, thats the only 2 things in this film that even made it notable, 2 shock value moment.
Baise moi was waaaaaayy better for sure. But also more fucked up

Mr Hyde

I can certainly understand that. Irreversible is a tough watch, I think even more so for a woman. But if one can stomach it, it's a very good movie. Waiting for the straight cut to release, I think it will be even better when removing the reverse chronological narrative.

teezzy

Banned
51EBmpDHaBL.jpg

The Bourne Ultimatum - 7/10

A real slow burn compared to the first two. Some great fights and chases, but damn do they make you work for it

Juia Stiles though, still a hottie. Stole every scene she was in with her pleasantly doughy facial features meeooowww.

bourne4b.png

Lots of shaky cam on display here. Remember shaky cam? It was used appropriately in Supremacy but now seems to be used here to mask Damon maybe not being able to run around like he used to as a younger man. Cool stunts with camera men jumping through windows and the like too

Maybe one of the coolest examples of filmmaking I've seen. Still though - not a damn thing happens for the first hour or so, and you wonder why you care so much about what Bourne cares about in the first place. Maybe these movies aren't meant to be watched back to back like this, maybe Ultimatum suffers from being tragically compared to the first two movies which seem so effortlessly stylish, but this falls short. Gone is the awesome costume and cinematography, and we're just left with a few impressive action sequences shining through scenes of old men talking and failing to realize they can't stop Bourne after two and a half movies-worth of failing.

Last edited:

Futurematic

I’ve been on an old HBO kick to get the most of my one month Crave subscription lol: The Pentagon Wars was solid fun and a sobering reminder that idiots are everywhere; The Second Civil War is uh, weirdly up to date on modern trends plus contains every character actor of the 1990s with Phil Hartman as President; and of course The Late Shift is always amusing—although book (and sequel) are rather better.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not a movie but a NF series. The Liberators. 4 part series, at around 50 minutes each I think. Got through two episodes. Not bad. A Band of Brothers vibe, but the catch is that it's done in this animated overwrap which makes everything cartoony. It also overlays a grimy watermark throughput the shows as if you're looking through a dirty scope every minute.

Not bad. Worth watching the rest of the series to finish it off.

Make note the animation style is choppy as hell. I thought it was my TV, but I tested everything from standard settings to Cinema mode to partial and maxed out Motion Flow and nothing really worked. It's got some awful frame rates and that shitty blur effect you'd see in Skyrim on 360. Where it scenes can ghost like you're watching on a 720p LCD in 2005.

Comparing to a video game, I'd say the frame rate roller coasters anywhere from 15-30 fps. I wouldn't be surprised if it animated at 10 fps sometimes. It can be that spotty.

Story and action seem fine. Pretty low key acting, so you're not going to get guys yelling.

If you're interested in a unique art style, check it out. If you don't give a shit about the animation and are looking for a fantastic story, skip it. Generic WWII as it gets.

The trailer's graphics look way better than they do in real life. Playing this on a 4k tv, it looked pretty low budget and half crappy.

Last edited:
Climax

You didn't watch this on Australian TV (SBS) did you?

Was pretty great, the brother and sister banging was next level

The Cook, the thief, his wife & her lover

One of the more fucked up films I've seen in recent years. It's hard to even give it some kind of review, it's like a disgusting train wreck, you want to look away but you can't, you have to know what's coming next.

The plot is absurd, the cinematography is hallucinatory, red and dark colors with lavish sets and outlandish wardrobes (designed by Jean-Paul Gaultier) and the acting is surreal and over the top. Not a single actor is behaving like a normal human being, it's like aliens possessed their bodies and they try to act human. It's like a renaissance theater act where everybody's dropping acid and the director left the camera on.

The story takes place entirely in a fancy restaurant run by a mobster who treats his wife and guests like shit. The kitchen is run by a deranged cook, you have an androgynous boy singing opera while doing the dishes, a half naked chef chopping up dogs and pigs and god knows what, while Helen Mirren, who plays the wife of the mobster, and her lover, have sex in the kitchens meat processing room or whatever you call it. Not the least bit romantic but they fuck whenever they can, even in a godamn food truck filled with stinking meat and chopped off pig heads.

This movie is absolutely fucked up and disturbing but it definitely leaves a lasting impression, and that's something that's gotta give. Strong acting too by Helen Mirren and the fella who plays the mobster boss, he's hilarious and wreaks havoc like no other. It's not everyday you watch something so cerebral like this, that embraces its surreal nature and just lets it out on the screen, with zero fucks given.

Ah it came out 30 years ago

I was thinking, no one wants to see 70 year old Helen Mirren banging every 2 seconds

ManaByte

Watched the new Call of the Wild on HBO last night. Worth watching just for Harrison Ford.

Of course they changed the ending of the book. But the trailers were deceptive as all of Buck's main owners are in it. The whole movie isn't just John Thorton like the trailers made it look.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Re-watched LOTR: Two Towers for I don't know how many times. Always hits the spot when you're craving fast-paced large-scale battle action scenes.

Also, saw Once upon a time in hollywood and the Rock's Jumanji which were both pretty funny.

Last edited:

Arkam

Not sure if counts as a “movie” but I watched Console Wars today and really enjoyed it. Read the book a few years ago (highly recommended) and could not see how a film adaptation would work. Luckily they did not do an adaptation, instead they just did a straight documentary that covers the broad strokes. While it misses (IMO) a few of the pivotal details, it gets you most of the way there and has solid production values.

For those not familiar, this is the story of the rise and fall of Sega of America. How they tried to take on the behemoth that was Nintendo... and actually succeeded in some ways. Just a great story on American business and the video game industry in the early 1990s.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Supremacy is my favorite Bourne film because of the ending. I really liked it and I thought the chase scenes were the best. Identity was my favorite of all them after first viewing. Now, I'd rank it last behind Supremacy and Ultimatum having seen them all several times. It just doesn't have the action and something about how young Damon looks makes me not buy him nearly as much in Identity.

I almost completed my winter watching list. I only have two left: The Edge and Silence of the Lambs.

Will add some movies to the list as I go. Might rewatch some horror or something.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
Batman-Vs-Superman-hd-printable-Poster-MyPosterCollection.com-team-2-1.jpg

Wow... that was a movie alright. Maybe I should've watched Man of Steel prior, but this sounded so much more intriguing. Right up there with with Freddy vs Jason or Alien vs Predator.... there's just something so cool about Batman vs. Superman going at it.

You know what I liked about this movie? It had room to breathe. Took its time getting to where it needed to, and didn't feel like some corny winking at the camera nonsense every 10 minutes like the Marvels movie do. Batman vs Superman is a movie which, for better or worse, takes its content seriously - and it helps.

I wanted to see Ben Affleck as Batman finally, and I got my wish. Not perfect by any means, but there's some real beauty here amidst the chaos (and I'm not just talking about Gal Gadot)

I'm feeling an 8/10 here. I'll admit, some movies struggle to hold my attention for three hours, and this did the trick. Not a masterpiece, but far from the disaster I'd always heard it was. What's not to like? Ben Affleck? Good. Henry Cavil? Good. Gal Gadot? Good. This movie? Good.

When telling a story of this magnitude, you really do need to go all out. I like to poo-poo superhero movies, but I enjoyed this. Maybe I'm just less of a snob these days after all, and am looking at these types of movies with new eyes.

Either way, I had fun.

Christmas Friends GIF by hoppip

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I just watched Sister Act.. It's not a grand movie, but it is very tasty to watch.

Just watched Tenet

What an absolute cluster fuck. I did not enjoy that film one bit

Only understood about 5% of why things were happening too

Last edited:
Finally saw tenet

Loved it, need a second viewing.

But my god the sound mixing is horrific, you can barely hear what anyone is saying in some parts, the fact people try and defend this is laughable, I literally gotta rewatch with subtitles on.

Apart from that 8/10, some amazing film work done in this film
What did you love about it? Maybe I'm too dumb to understand all the inversion stuff properly

Even if you could hear what people were saying, the dialogue was so convoluted, you were no worse off in the end

INC

What did you love about it? Maybe I'm too dumb to understand all the inversion stuff properly

Even if you could hear what people were saying, the dialogue was so convoluted, you were no worse off in the end

The concept, the cinematography is mental, to have 2 different timelines happening at the same time, is mental to even work out from a story board PoV, the lack of CGI. The score

I get its not for everyone, and could be seen as a poor effort from nolan, but its right up my alley, cant wait to watch a few more times, but with subtitles lol

Not his best, but I enjoyed it more than most films since, well.....interstellar

Inception
Interstellar
The prestige
Tenet
Dunkirk

wasn't a fan of momento, but again the concept is great
(Batman is separate)

The concept, the cinematography is mental, to have 2 different timelines happening at the same time, is mental to even work out from a story board PoV, the lack of CGI. The score

I get its not for everyone, and could be seen as a poor effort from nolan, but its right up my alley, cant wait to watch a few more times, but with subtitles lol

Not his best, but I enjoyed it more than most films since, well.....interstellar

Inception
Interstellar
The prestige
Tenet
Dunkirk

wasn't a fan of momento, but again the concept is great
(Batman is separate)
Lack of CGI? What about all the car chase stuff and the buildings exploding at the end? And other assorted explosions

Last edited:

INC

Lack of CGI? What about all the car chase stuff and the buildings exploding at the end? And other assorted explosions

Most is practical effect, but in reverse, playing backwards isn't cgi

Most of nolan films are mainly practical, with cgi to add to it
Its not 90% green screen like a marvel film and most of hollywood

Last edited:
Most is practical effect, but in reverse, playing backwards isn't cgi

Most of nolan films are mainly practical, with cgi to add to it
Its not 90% green screen like a marvel film and most of hollywood
Inception was fairly complicated but you never really felt like you lost a grasp of what was happening and why it was happening

I never felt like I fully had a grasp on either of those with Tenet.

Plus all that military briefing near the end should have been whittled down a shitload to the essentials, since all the payoff was people firing at buildings and avoiding explosions.

And most of it was inversions anyway which I never quite understood why they happened when they happened and the implications of

Last edited:

INC

Inception was fairly complicated but you never really felt like you lost a grasp of what was happening and why it was happening

I never felt like I had a grasp on either of those with Tenet.

Plus all that military briefing near the end should have been whittled down a shitload to the essentials, since all the payoff was people firing at buildings and avoiding explosions.

Inception is a far better film no doubt, tenet does come off as slightly pretentious and convoluted

But I dont mind that, the concept is pay off enough for me, since its a marvel to watch and appreciate how it was filmed, for me at least

But I agree with what ya saying, and get that totally

Also inception is a linear timeline, its always moving forward, tenet isn't, there's some many times to follow, normal, inverted, past, present and concept of future, its always gonna be messy on 1 viewing

Last edited:

stn

MV5BM2JkNGU0ZGMtZjVjNS00NjgyLWEyOWYtZmRmZGQyN2IxZjA2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTIzOTk5ODM@._V1_.jpg

You kids and your goofy John Wick

Bourne Identity is still a 10/10 for me. I plan on watching them all.

Love the car chases. European car chases are always dope af. Matt Damon always on point, he'd beat John Wick's ass - hands down. Franka Potente is hella babe in this. Movie is so low-key stylish and the cinematography is blissful. Color grading is top tier and understated. I can't get enough.

the_bourne_identity_1280.jpg

Also whoever did the costume design for this should've won an Oscar. Jason Bourne is one stylish ass mofo. Turtlenecks everywhere. I wanted to cop all his sweaters and jackets fr.

10/10 and then some. One slick ass movie that has aged like wine. Soundtrack is pure 2002 electronic nirvana as well.
Its a 10/10 for me as well! I love Euro spy thrillers set in places like Paris. Have you watched Ronin (1998) with Robert DeNiro, Jean Reno, and others? It is a must-watch if you haven't.

• Fire
Reactions: INC

teezzy

Banned
Its a 10/10 for me as well! I love Euro spy thrillers set in places like Paris. Have you watched Ronin (1998) with Robert DeNiro, Jean Reno, and others? It is a must-watch if you haven't.

You know what bro?

I actually just bought the DVD for like a buck recently due to never seeing it prior

Glad to hear I'm in for a treat! :messenger_sunglasses:

stn

You know what bro?

I actually just bought the DVD for like a buck recently due to never seeing it prior

Glad to hear I'm in for a treat! :messenger_sunglasses:
Nice!!! Watch it ASAP, its amazing for all the same reasons you like Bourne Identity. Taken (2007) with Liam Neeson also fits the bill, and I enjoyed that one quite a bit as well.

INC

That also has a great gritty car chase, and shaun bean saying 'bit of strawberry jam that', classic bean......

stn

I just remembered that I actually watched Erased (2012) recently on Netflix, which is (you guessed it) a spy thriller set in Belgium. It was decent enough!

Top Bottom