• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone seen any good movies lately?

ForestVSea

Just saw an occult thriller movie called 'A dark picture'

The whole film is a man and a woman in a house, where the man is helping the woman conjure up a demon so she she can get revenge on her sons killers.

Surprisingly, the movie has a lot of subtle messaging about morality, and actually has a great message while not being obvious about it, it's Christian, but not obviously, it is just a great psychological thriller. One of my new favourite movies of all time

Nymphae

Banned
I watched so many of my dvds over the holidays it was ridiculous.

Dazed and Confused is the best teen comedy ever made. I watched that, then Fast Times, then She's All That, American Pie 1-4, and 10 Things I Hate About You in a multi decade spanning teen comedy binge.

Eyeron

Finally got around to watching Bone Tomahawk and Brawl in Cell Block 99 before they leave Amazon Prime. Really enjoyed both. Loved Kurt Russel and Richard Jenkins in BT and Vince Vaughn was so good in Brawl. Excellent violence in both. Very grindhousey without rubbing your face in it.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Promising Young Woman:

It was good, but I don't feel as good as the rotten tomatoes scores give it. It eventually kinda went way over the top and a little cheesy, but the acting performance by Mulligan was awesome.

Grinchy

Banned
Finally got around to watching Bone Tomahawk and Brawl in Cell Block 99 before they leave Amazon Prime. Really enjoyed both. Loved Kurt Russel and Richard Jenkins in BT and Vince Vaughn was so good in Brawl. Excellent violence in both. Very grindhousey without rubbing your face in it.
Now it's time to watch Dragged Across Concrete if you haven't already.

xrnzaaas

Freaky was another 'fuck yeah girlpower, straight white men bad' crap from Blumhouse. I don't know why I expected anything else and what's worse it did a terrible job of trying to be a light comedy in some scenes with the body swapping theme. Only watched it because I remembered the lead actress from Supernatural, I wish I spent my time doing something more productive.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
Did a double bill of 80's movies I haven't watched yet after watching all the good ones.

Firefox, Clint Eastwood does Top Gun. Most of the movie is a by the numbers cold war thriller that's been done before with the end being a super secret stolen Russian stealth plane dogfight chase for the ending. Was OK.

Over the Top, Stallone does a kids film while still feeling like his typical action movie of the time. Surprisingly good. Suited 80's bad guy in a mansion Robert Loggia vs blue collar truck driver Stallone. Inventive Arm Wrestling substitute for violent Rocky style end of movie "fight". Not bad at all for an 80's kids movie.

2020 Movies

1. The Upside
2. Godzilla: King of Monsters
3. Aladdin
4. Midsommar
5. 6 Underground
6. Rounders
7. 1917
8. The Meyerowitz Stories
9. The Lion King
10. Dangal
11. Overlord
12. The Farewell
13. Frozen 2
14. Hobbs and Shaw
15. Big Time Adolescence
16. Good Time
17. The Rover
18. Spenser Confidential
19. The Kitchen
20. Villains
21. Onward
22. A Simple Favor
23. Good Boys
24. Rambo: Last Blood
25. Parasite
26. Hustlers
27. Extraction
28. Road to Perdition
29. The Social Network
30. Angel Has Fallen
31. Bad Education
32. The Lovebirds
33. Uncut Gems
34. Ford vs. Ferrari
35. Da 5 Bloods
36. The Silence of the Lambs
37. Be Water
38. The Old Guard
39. Palm Springs
40. Choke
41. Jojo Rabbit
42. Birds of Prey
43. Project Power
44. The Way Back
45. Tenet
46. Queen and Slim
47. 7500
48. 21 Bridges
49. Terminator: Dark Fate
50. Impractical Jokers
51. Teen Titans Go vs. Teen Titans
52. Gemini Man
53. Enola Holmes
54. The Outpost
55. The Gentlemen
56. The Invisible Man
57. Trial of the Chicago Seven
58. Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
59. Mulan
60. An American Pickle
61. Ava
62. Run
63. Happiest Season
64. Wonder Woman 1984
65. Soul
66. The Midnight Sky

This is everything I saw last year. I think 1917 was my favorite out of all of them and the last movie I saw in a theater.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The_Quick_and_the_Dead-389205611-mmed.jpg

Underrated. It's fun just watching how many times they can make a variation on the classic duel. Sharon Stone is a smoke show. The explosions at the end are hilariously amazing. Perfect popcorn movie.

Saw both this and Tombstone in the last couple months...I think this might be the better movie.

Last edited:

waquzy

Last few movies I’ve seen:

First Cow - slow burner, but worth a watch

Pixie - an Irish gangster movie, good laugh

Another Round - danish movie, possibly the best movie of 2020 for me.

sol_bad

The Dry - cinema
Ausssie movie set in Australia with Aussie actors, the main actor being Mr Eric Banner. It's basically a murder mystery in a small outback town. I enjoyed it but the story sort of fell apart at the reveal, I won't say why in cae anyone here decides to watch it.

Nomadland - cinema
Film stars Frances McDormand and she is basically a nomad living on the land in her van traveling around Americas west. It has a lot of real life nomad none actors as part of the cast as well. It is slow paced and is a bit depressing and sad in parts but I enjoyed it. It has some very beautiful cinematography.

Last edited:

Jethalal

Banned
The Dry - cinema
Ausssie movie set in Australia with Aussie actors, the main actor being Mr Eric Banner. It's basically a murder mystery in a small outback town. I enjoyed it but the story sort of fell apart at the reveal, I won't say why in cae anyone here decides to watch it.

Nomadland - cinema
Film stars Frances McDormand and she is basically a nomad living on the land in her van traveling around Americas west. It has a lot of real life nomad none actors as part of the cast as well. It is slow paced and is a bit depressing and sad in parts but I enjoyed it. It has some very beautiful cinematography.

How do you feel about Chloe zhao directing Eternals after watching Nomadland?

Last edited:

sol_bad

How do you feel about Chloe zhao directing Eternals after watching Nomadland?

It's very hard to say because Nomadland is going to be a very different film to an epic sci-fi cosmic story. I am excited to see what she does with the film that is for sure. On the actor directing side of things she should be able to get some great performances on screen as it was hard to tell that the real life nomads were actually real life nomads. She definitely has a talent for soaking up the atmosphere in her shots and camera work.
Another thing is that there is no humor in Nomadland, I know Chloe Zhao didn't work on the script but does this mean Eternals is going to be a more serious dramatic affair like Winter Soldier?
I can't believe we still don't have a trailer for Eternals, I'm sure they have one all edited together, we just have to wait another 8 months or so to see it.

INC

So the wife had a movie list she wanted us to watch over xmas

Inception -10/10

Interstellar - 10/10

New star trek trilogy - i dont mind these, the cast is solid, and they're fun enough films 7.5/10

Logan - forgot how much i enjoyed this, bitter sweet really, knowing we'll never get another R rated wolverine film 8.5/10

Avatar - visually this is still awesome, and has aged pretty good, but my god the lead actor is horrific to the point its unwatchable 6/10

Planet of the apes trilogy - never paid these attention before, but wow, they're actually legit films, dawn especially had an old school 90' epic feel to it, was shocked by how good they were, again dawn being the stand out film 8.5/10

Last edited:

INC

Dredd

Awesome film, it knows what it is, and just goes for it, even tho its basically 'the raid' but with judge dredd, it still works

Feels like a Pulp comic, in how its framed and dialogue

And its got probably one of favourite death scenes I've ever seen at the end

All thriller no filler , highly recommended if u want a fast paced, well executed action film

Last edited:

Arkam

iu

The Bonfire of the Vanities. This was a movie that I had never heard of, had terrible reviews.... but a great cast. So I decided to watch it. 10minutes in I could see why this film had been forgotten. It seemed like all the main actors/actresses were not happy to film. Despite there being a Cleary dichotomy between the characters you were suppose to like and those you were to loath..... I wanted to hit them all in the face. HOWEVER I muscled through that and got a solid payoff.

What seemed like a basic bitch premise of politicians using wedge issues to get reelected at the cost of a person's "innocence", turned into something a bit more clever. Film feels VERY current despite its age as the way the stupid operate has not changed one bit. They drop the dime on not only the shady politicians, but the race baiters, the families that cash in on tragedy, corrupt DAs, how quickly the term "racist" is thrown around by the angry (an ignorant) mob and the media's whoring of all sides.

All in all a great story if you are looking for a sense of morality and a clear reflection of how nasty we can be for self gain.

Morgan Freeman as the judge was probably the best performance. Also Melanie Griffith in some nice black lingerer!

Last edited:
Of Mice and Men '39

Like many I read the book in High School and I'd also seen the 1992 version but never the original adaption.

Quite a good movie. Burgess Meredith is great as George (Has he ever had a bad performance?) and I was delighted to finally see Lon Chaney Jr's (Pre-Wolfman) now legendary performance. His Lennie has been reworked, copied and parodied long since before I was born but it's always cool to see the genesis of a cultural staple. My memories of the book are a little questionable at this point but it seemed a pretty accurate adaption. It's 1939 so you're going to get an old-timey score and filmaking but if you're not a dreg it shouldn't cause as issue. There was one small aspect of the ending which almost certainly was added because of the infamous Hayes code but luckily the film left that aspect on the questionable side and not definite.

Good stuff.

Last edited:

Arkam

No.... instead I watched The Lost World: Jurassic Park. I remembered it being terrible.... but not how absolutely offensive to the mind and soul it was. Sure it was based off a novel that Critchton didn’t want to write, and in fact was still in the middle of writing when they made the movie.... but that does not excuse this travesty.

The novel actually turned out pretty decent, but only does so by allowing Dr Malcom to once again go on his drugged out philosophical ramblings.

Instead Spielberg (once again) cut out all the good content and replaced it with vapidity. Every single character was changed for the worse. The only that that was even remotely close was the Trex attack on the vans... and even that had little merit with all the other changes.

I love CG dinosaurs as much as the next man child.... but avoid like the plague. Makes the two World movies seem palatable.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm just a tiny a bit late but started watching the james bond movies. i've only seen the daniel craig ones.

watched Dr No + From Russia With Love. right now my plan is just to watch the Sean Connery ones. i'll give Roger Moore a go but I can't stand Timothy Dalton/Pierce Brosnan as actors so definitely won't be watching their movies.

Fbh

The Midnight Sky 4/10
I guess Clooney gives a solid performance and the VFX are pretty good for a Netflix movie. Outside of that it's pretty boring. It's half drama half survival movie and neither part is compelling.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
i'm just a tiny a bit late but started watching the james bond movies. i've only seen the daniel craig ones.

watched Dr No + From Russia With Love. right now my plan is just to watch the Sean Connery ones. i'll give Roger Moore a go but I can't stand Timothy Dalton/Pierce Brosnan as actors so definitely won't be watching their movies.

Goldeneye was a top 3 Bond movie. You're missing out if you skip that one.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Thanks, excellent video. I have a new appreciation for the film now. But I'm not sure whether it's cool or shitty to need a 20 minute youtube video to work out what's going on.

If the movie failed to entertain on a first viewing, it's a failure. IMO the problem with Tenet was that the idea was much more exciting than the execution. Three major action scenes (the first fight in the vault, the car chase and the military assault) simply didn't work as action scenes precisely because the opponents were doing everything in reverse. Instead of feeling fresh and exciting, those scenes looked either fake or boring.

If the movie failed to entertain on a first viewing, it's a failure. IMO the problem with Tenet was that the idea was much more exciting than the execution. Three major action scenes (the first fight in the vault, the car chase and the military assault) simply didn't work as action scenes precisely because the opponents were doing everything in reverse. Instead of feeling fresh and exciting, those scenes looked either fake or boring.

To me it's not so much a "movie", but a thought experiment brought to life on the big screen

Interstellar was heading that way and Tenet is the full blown thing

Last edited:
All the DC animated movies have moved over to HBO Max. I used to watch them as they came out, but missed the last couple of years worth. So I caught up on all of them. Death of Superman, Reign of the Supermen, Superman: Red Son, Wonder Woman: Bloodlines, Batman: A Death in the Family, Justice League vs The Fatal Five, Batman: Hush, and Justice League: Apokolips War. And Superman: Man of Tomorrow.

Some of these are part of the DC Animated Universe. And let me tell you, the DCAU is everything you wished the DCEU was. Fantastic storytelling across multiple films for the past decade. Maintained the same voice actors. Callbacks to prior events. A huge cast of characters. Apokolips War was the DCAU’s equivalent of the MCU’s Avengers: Endgame. You have the Justice League, Teen Titans, Green Lantern Corps, etc. It was fantastic and I urge anyone into DC comics to watch them.

Jethalal

Banned
All the DC animated movies have moved over to HBO Max. I used to watch them as they came out, but missed the last couple of years worth. So I caught up on all of them. Death of Superman, Reign of the Supermen, Superman: Red Son, Wonder Woman: Bloodlines, Batman: A Death in the Family, Justice League vs The Fatal Five, Batman: Hush, and Justice League: Apokolips War. And Superman: Man of Tomorrow.

Some of these are part of the DC Animated Universe. And let me tell you, the DCAU is everything you wished the DCEU was. Fantastic storytelling across multiple films for the past decade. Maintained the same voice actors. Callbacks to prior events. A huge cast of characters. Apokolips War was the DCAU’s equivalent of the MCU’s Avengers: Endgame. You have the Justice League, Teen Titans, Green Lantern Corps, etc. It was fantastic and I urge anyone into DC comics to watch them.
Apokolips War was pretty fun but should've been 2 parts. Felt too rushed.

I will recommend you to watch Young Justice. It is an animated TV series, but even adults can watch it. It is the best animated series of any DC or Marvel characters.

Apokolips War was pretty fun but should've been 2 parts. Felt too rushed.

I will recommend you to watch Young Justice. It is an animated TV series, but even adults can watch it. It is the best animated series of any DC or Marvel characters.
I agree with you. I wish they split it into two parts as well. And Young Justice is up next for me for sure.

Just did spiderverse again.

Such good filmmaking. i missed the middle cause i had to walk the dog for an hr or so though. Most likely going to watch it again tomorrow hahahahha.

INC

If u liked Daniel Craig as Bond, you'll like Daltons Bond, far more grounded, id argue Daltons Bind was ahead of it time

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Tenet-Poster-2-1.jpeg

Tenet - If this movie makes sense after repeated viewings, OMG. After one viewing though...it did not make sense.

Such a beautiful flower in a desert of big budget action movies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom