• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone worried about Trump Being the Nominee Should Look at CNN/Fox News ratings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildfire

Banned
he story is even more interesting if we move outside of the cable news bubble. In April, CNN experienced the strongest year-over-year growth of any network (cable or broadcast) in both total viewers and adults 25-54 during prime time: +125 percent in total viewers (1.14 mil vs. 507,000) and +105 percent in the news demo (381,000 vs. 186,000) from April 2015.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/apri...-no-1-in-prime-time-demo-on-cable-news/291717

Overall, where CNN used to have less than half of Fox News’ overall viewership, they now are behind Fox News by a measly 9%, and they continue to dominate MSNBC.

There is only one thing that has really changed over the last several months, when CNN began closing the gap: the type of coverage that Donald Trump gets. Fox News has decided to cater to a (very) vocal minority in exchange for a brief boost in ratings. Sean Hannity likes to boast of a 40% increase in his ratings, but look at Fox News overall: they are falling in a bad way. And, while the Trump supporters would love to tell you that it is because Fox News isn’t kowtowing to Trump enough, the reality of the situation is a lot simpler: They’ve alienated the legions of conservatives who turned into them to see news.

CNN, meanwhile, has been playing the long game. They’ve slowly been accumulating various right-leaning commentators of actual quality, and really kicked it up this election cycle. Their commentary is a lot more balanced than one would expect of a news channel that is seen as a beltway, liberal outlet for talking points. Granted, CNN is still not perfect, and I don’t expect it to conform to my political views, but I find it much more tolerable.

They have finally discovered the flaw in 24-hour news coverage: you run out of things to say. So, they filled in some gaps with soft-news personalities like Anthony Bourdain and Mike Rowe, focused on documentaries, and have diversified what they offer to the audience. Then, they bring in guys like Jake Tapper, who has been such an aggressive interviewer of politicians on both sides of the aisle that it is very difficult to call him unfair to anyone.

http://www.redstate.com/joesquire/2016/05/03/cnn-crushing-fox-news-ratings/

So are conservative viewers flipping to CNN? Aside from the debates, I don't watch either station anymore but I would like to hear thoughts on this speculation.

Joke candidate supporters also support joke journalism outlet?

I mean, I can't take Trump or CNN seriously, but maybe they have cross appeal to the same demographics... namely idiots.

Idiots scare the shit out of me.

wildfire

Banned
This is interesting but I'm not sure what it has to do with my concerns about Trump being the Republican nominee.

Some people are concerned to the point that they believe he could potentially win (for example the foreign leaders signing diplomatic deals moreso than usual for an outgoing President).

If you're only concerned about how this reflects on the party or American society win or lose this doesn't address you.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Cnn has been terrible this election cycle. Their conservative bias is obvious. Same with some msnbc.

The good thing is very few people watch cable news. Just old people.

Bad thing is that these are the most active voters.

Also sad is the article framing. Playing the long game as if it's something worthy of praise. News should be about more than what gets you ratings... yet..

massoluk

Banned
Well, to be honest, CNN has become my default channel for Primary nights, and probably for a lot of people too. They have way more detailed live analysis there, like John King's magic wall that break down the district.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I feel like CNN has been pretty balanced ever since Fox News went hard right. Honestly can't really recall much before Fox News existed though...just Headline News periodically when I was a kid.

Cnn has been terrible this election cycle. Their conservative bias is obvious. Same with some msnbc.

The good thing is very few people watch cable news. Just old people.

Bad thing is that these are the most active voters.

Also sad is the article framing. Playing the long game as if it's something worthy of praise. News should be about more than what gets you ratings... yet..

oh yeh? what is your source?

CNN is by far the best of The Big Three 24-hour cable news outlets. And it's not even close. It at least tries to be balanced while at the same time having some quality personalities. Their non news programs are pretty good too. Fox and MSNBC are more like entertainment channels than an attempt at news. If you think you have to Pander to my political worldview to get me to watch your "news" channel then no thanks.

Jay Seven

Banned
Even garbage sites like Huffingtonpost can't resist the cheap clicks. Months ago they announced they'd stop covering him completely. That lasted all of maybe a day. Now it's all Trump all the time.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
I've been a hardcore Rubio guy from day one, and I switched to CNN years ago. I'm as Conservative as they come and have nothing but contempt for Trump and Trump enablers. Among like-minded friends, I don't know anyone who watches FNC anymore because of how ridiculous it has gotten in support of Trump, even during the day.

On the Conservative side, there will be a reckoning coming for those who sold out the movement for ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom