• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP: Cuomo to meet with US transportation chief amid transit woes

KSweeley

According to this AP report, NY Governor Cuomo is expected to travel to D.C. to meet with the U.S. Transportation Secretary: https://apnews.com/f9317f580b534c17...ith-US-transportation-chief-amid-transit-woes

July 25, 2017

New York's governor is headed to Washington to meet with U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao amid New York City's ongoing transit troubles.

A spokesman for Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo (KWOH'-moh) has confirmed Wednesday's meeting.

Some transit advocates have criticized Cuomo for not doing enough to maintain the city's subways and commuter rail lines.

The system has faced mounting derailments, breakdowns and delays in recent months. Summerlong repairs at Penn Station threaten to further disrupt suburban commuter trains and had prompted Cuomo to warn of a ”summer of hell" for commuters.

Lo-Volt

That’s nice, but Cuomo should know damn well how much of the responsibility is Albany’s (and City Hall’s to be honest, even though I’m more sympathetic to the city position). I’m also a bit perplexed because Gov. Cuomo has been so strident in his opposition to the president but he’s going to try to get some cash out of his transportation secretary?

Kill3r7

Christie should join him. They need federal money. Here's Trump's opportunity to do a big infrastructure project.

I've occasionally wondered if McConnell tolerates Trump's shit because he doesn't want his wife to lose her job.

No he puts up with trump because trump allows him free reign to fuck over poor people and minorities and that's all he, and most republicans, needs to be happy.

el jacko

That’s nice, but Cuomo should know damn well how much of the responsibility is Albany’s (and City Hall’s to be honest, even though I’m more sympathetic to the city position). I’m also a bit perplexed because Gov. Cuomo has been so strident in his opposition to the president but he’s going to try to get some cash out of his transportation secretary?
1. NY state is still being run by the three men in a room. And Cuomo runs that room right now.
2. Just because they're political enemies doesn't excuse any government arm from not acting. At least, it shouldn't.

Of course it wouldn't surprise me to see the MTA used as a political football in DC, considering how it's thrown about in ny politics.

Gallbaro

Banned
MTA actually doesn't. And it's Cuomo's fault.
Actually it does, they can't actually spend it fast enough.

http://www.wnyc.org/story/cuomo-de-blasio-fight-over-mta/

When you do an international comparison to other metros, Paris, London, Barcelona, Tokyo, the MTA is embarrassingly inefficient.

I mean we still have two person train operation.

We still have some extremely ancient work rules on LIRR going back to the 1800s.

We refuse to do a partial shutdown in Manhattan overnight for cleaning and maintenance to happen. So instead we have track workers literally spend now than half their sorry waiting for revenue trains to go by.

Not to mention 2 billion dollars per mile.

Gallbaro

Banned
Bump:

DF1BKMZXYAEKnNY.jpg:large

The current crisis is largely a function of poor labor.

ReAxion

let me guess, the US transportation chief doesn't believe train tracks are real.

oh it's mitch mcconnell's wife. great.

Ryuukan

FYI Elaine Chao's dad runs a global shipping/trading business in NY

I'm sure she's happy to help for something in return

MTA can die in a fire.

I cycled to work this week, and my one way time range from 75 to 80 minutes. I can't remember the last time I can could subway/bus home within 80m from midtown to flushing.

To the one gaffer who work for MTA, I know you are reading. I standby everything I said.

I used to intern for MTA, I know how bad it was inside.

Top Bottom