• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP Exclusive: Moonlighting U.S. police leave body cameras at home

KSweeley

Link: https://apnews.com/8028f1e5fff34bfc...oonlighting-police-leave-body-cameras-at-home

When police officers in America’s cities put on their uniforms and grab their weapons before moonlighting in security jobs at nightclubs, hospitals, and ballparks, there’s one piece of equipment they often leave behind — their body camera.

That’s because most police agencies that make the cameras mandatory for patrol shifts don’t require or won’t allow body cameras for off-duty officers even if they’re working in uniform, leaving a hole in policies designed to increase oversight and restore confidence in law enforcement.

Police departments contend that they have only a limited number of body cameras or that there are too many logistical hurdles and costs involved. But that argument doesn’t sit well with those who say it shouldn’t matter whether an officer is on patrol or moonlighting at a shopping mall.

“As long as they have real bullets, they need to have the body cameras,” said John Barnett, a civil rights leader in Charlotte, North Carolina, where shootings involving police have put use of the cameras under scrutiny.

An Associated Press survey of the 20 biggest U.S. cities found that nearly all have officers wearing or testing body cameras, but that only five — Houston; San Antonio; San Francisco; Fort Worth, Texas; and San Jose, California — have rules requiring them for uniformed officers working outside their regular hours.

The departments that have body cameras or are testing them, but do not require moonlighting officers to wear them, are New York City; Los Angeles, Chicago; Philadelphia; Phoenix; San Diego; Dallas; Columbus, Ohio; and Charlotte. Denver also has them and is planning to add cameras for off-duty work.

“There shouldn’t be a distinction,” said Lt. Elle Washburn, who oversees San Jose’s body camera program. “You’re still in uniform, still have powers of arrest.”

Just about every police agency makes it clear that officers working in uniform still represent the department and are subject to police rules even when they’re off duty and paid by someone else.

Yet trouble can happen anywhere and anytime, and when it does, there’s little difference between an on-duty and off-duty officer.

Susanna Birdsong, a lawyer with the American Civil Liberties Union in North Carolina, said that uneven use of the cameras is setting up police agencies for controversy and that they’re “only effective if a department’s policy is a strong one.”

ZOONAMI

I guess I don't really see forcing off duty police officers to wear a body camera as a realistic solution.

If they are wearing a uniform off duty then absolutely, I guess Mpls has made it work.

Interesting.

Why are cops wearing their uniforms when moonlighting? That seems like the bigger issue.

Jezbollah

Seems a bit bizarre to expect police to wear police equipment for another job. I'm sure theres a whole legal aspect to the admission of evidence that would get in the way obtaining such footage even if the camera did pick up anything

“There shouldn’t be a distinction,” said Lt. Elle Washburn, who oversees San Jose’s body camera program. “You’re still in uniform, still have powers of arrest.”

Just about every police agency makes it clear that officers working in uniform still represent the department and are subject to police rules even when they’re off duty and paid by someone else.

Seems to make it pretty clear for me. You're in uniform? Youre bound to the rules of its agency.

I guess I don't really see forcing off duty police officers to wear a body camera as a realistic solution.

If they are wearing a uniform off duty then absolutely, I guess Mpls has made it work.

Interesting.

Why are cops wearing their uniforms when moonlighting? That seems like the bigger issue.

They are being hired as police when moonlighting.

It's bullshit. Badge/Gun/Camera need to go hand in hand.

Wait, US police can use their uniforms while working private jobs? Who thought that was a good idea? They should just wear a normal security uniform then, not their police one.

GrapeApes

Didn't even realize that police in uniform can be off duty. If you're in uniform then the camera is part of that too. If you want to wear a black shirt that reads security then I got no issues with the camera at home.

iammeiam

New York City’s new guidelines covering body cameras specifically say they can’t be used in any off-duty activities, including paid details run by the department.

That's stupid.

The obvious solution is that cities should tie the cameras to anything and everything where being a police officer is a factor. Anything in uniform, anything run by the department, essentially anything where the officer can use being a police officer as a defense or justification for actions should require a body camera.

No camera should mean being viewed and treated as a 'normal' non-cop person.

If the uniform or badge is on the camera is on. This is not a hard or confusing things to grasp.

Of course there would be loopholes...

Jezbollah

The term "moonlighting" is confusing in this article. If Police are representing their police force in an official presence, wearing the uniform and upholding the law they are sworn to protect, then they need to wear the cameras.

Saying they are "moonlighting" insinuates (to me) that they're doing a job on the side that doesnt mean they are representing their force.

I don't think they should be allowed to wear the uniform off duty to begin with. If you are wearing that uniform then you are on duty as far as I am concerned as a citizen.

KSweeley

Here in Baltimore, the Baltimore Police Department typically uses off-duty police for monitoring protests and the protests I've been to, all the police who were present were wearing their police uniforms and badges.

Jezbollah

Mr.Shrugglesツ;240036732 said:
It's not other gigs.

They are still being paid by the police department. "Off duty" is just outside of their regular hour.

Like when funeral proceedings have cops stop traffic. That would be "off duty".

The term "off duty" means something completely different in other countries. That means they're off shift and not being paid (certainly in the UK).

Mr. X

Mr.Shrugglesツ;240036732 said:
It's not other gigs.

They are still being paid by the police department. "Off duty" is just outside of their regular hour.

Like when funeral proceedings have cops stop traffic. That would be "off duty".
Ok got it. I'm going to side with it should be apart of the uniform.

The term "off duty" means something completely different in other countries. That means they're off shift and not being paid (certainly in the UK).

Yea, the author fucked up with using that term.

e:

Ok so apparently some cops use the uniform and badge when not being paid by the police department? that's some bullshit.

Jezbollah

Mr.Shrugglesツ;240037196 said:
Yea, the author fucked up with using that term.

e:

Ok so apparently some cops use the uniform and badge when not being paid by the police department? that's some bullshit.

Yeah... Very shady.

CDX

That’s because most police agencies that make the cameras mandatory for patrol shifts don’t require or won’t allow body cameras for off-duty officers even if they’re working in uniform, leaving a hole in policies designed to increase oversight and restore confidence in law enforcement.

Yeah. If they are allowed to wear their uniform, have their badge and gun.

IMO, they NEED the camera too for these moonlighting jobs. If companies want to hire an off duty cop, those companies should be required to pay for the camera IT costs to.

I worked as a manager at a movie theater, every weekend we hired a sheriff officer​ to just stand there and look pretty. Cops look more impressive than simply security guards, and him just being there made the nights go by better.

That said, if they had used cams at the time i assuredly would have wanted him to be wearing his just in case.

Zaventem

Seems a bit bizarre to expect police to wear police equipment for another job. I'm sure theres a whole legal aspect to the admission of evidence that would get in the way obtaining such footage even if the camera did pick up anything

This, how is it even a problem?

vikki

They shouldn't be using their police uniform outside of official police business. If places want police present for security then it should be in some way done through the precinct the officer works for and done with the same expectations of official police work.

Top Bottom