• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apex Legends is getting a non-BR 9 vs 9 "domination / control" point capture mode, 3 free legend unlocks

Coming Februrary 8th. The new game mode is only confirmed to be available in the first three weeks of the new season, but many people think it will be made permanent if it's well received.

The three unlocks are Octane, Watson, and Valkyrie, and will be available for one week each. Claim them that week and you get to keep them. Good news for new players, or people like me who aren't that interested in BR games, and because of that they only have a couple of legends unlocked outside of the standard ones.

Last edited:
I don't like BR games, but this game mode got my attention!

curiosity GIF

DonF

Love apex, it keeps getting better and better. I actually don't like BRs, but I love apex. More than a BR, the movement and teamplay is awesome.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I would play this mode. I actually enjoyed what I play of APEX but I can't just get into BR gameplay (like masturbating into a sock, feels decent at the time but it's over quick and you're left with a damp sock with little interest in going again).

Adding traditional MP modes can only improve the game.

I can’t wait to play this new season hope they add cross save :( in this new update
After looking into it, there's some speculation that cross save and / or current gen versions of the game might be released mid-season. The thought there is that they wouldn't want to do anything right at the start of a season that might present technical issues. Makes sense to me.

R6Rider

Gold Member
This game already has a permanent non be mode. But I guess you don’t actual care and just came for a hip and cool anti BR shitpost. Great
Or I don't follow the game to care enough. Besides that, I wasn't shitposting, simply stating my opinion.

Someone shit in your cereal today? Seek help.

Last edited:

Notabueno

Banned
Im addicted to apex. The gunplay and movement keeps me playing. I agree about the art direction not being so great.
Yeah the gameplay works, although BRs are frustrating AF, Apex is one of the rare I tried that I liked the gameplay off, but couldn't stand the badly overly designed characters and collectible (I mean a "tracker" for kills in season x? really those are your collectibles? and the skins with off market UE4 pattern animation are worse).

Why do so many FPS games go with control, territories, strongholds etc? Whatever happened to good old capture the flag games. Why not control a base, unlock a bomb arming zone etc? A little more than just stand here and attack/defend would be nice. I just find this gameplay does nothing but promote sweat teams over solos/buddies and generally it just gets so stale. The area of play is limited, you constantly play in the same control zones and tactics. If we're talking about flag games there is so much more replayability and tactics across many types of players/squads too.

I'll give control a run and Apex is the pinnacle of movement and gunplay for me but I'd be kidding myself if I didn't put the above statement out there. I'm happy to see Respawn mixing it up to two large teams. I'd like to see a BR mode of a team of 5 across the same maps and total player counts perhaps increased to 75.

Last edited:

MScarpa

This game already has a permanent non be mode. But I guess you don’t actual care and just came for a hip and cool anti BR shitpost. Great
Apparently people can't have an opinion. 😂 Quit being so sensitive man. If he doesn't like it, He doesn't like it. Who cares, move on.

Banned
This. Fuck BR games, this could be decent.
Need more normal pew pew games without BR.
I'm surprised there isn't a Valorant console version.

uhm, Rogue Company exists. that is a 3rd person shooter that is similar to Counter Strike/Valorant

also on Xbox, Crossfire X will launch soon, which has a classic mode that is almost a 1 to 1 counter strike clone + a modern mode that plays more like modern shooters but also has CS game modes.

Apex also has an Arena mode which is 3 vs 3 with miltiple rounds. 1 life per round and CS/Valorant like weapon buying at the start of each round.
you get resources to buy guns by collecting them from containers or b getting kills/round wins
so also somewhat similar to Valorant, but not quite the same.

also, I feel like people often don't like BR games because they die instantly and get frustrated lol...

Last edited:

Mr Moose

uhm, Rogue Company exists. that is a 3rd person shooter that is similar to Counter Strike/Valorant

also on Xbox, Crossfire X will launch soon, which has a classic mode that is almost a 1 to 1 counter strike clone + a modern mode that plays more like modern shooters but also has CS game modes.

also, I feel like people often don't like BR games because they die instantly and get frustrated lol...

Apex also has an Arena mode which is 3 vs 3 with miltiple rounds. 1 life per round and weapon buying at the start of each round
I am not really a fan of 3rd person MP shooters, hated TLoU/Uncharted MPs.
I like the big maps and stuff that come with BR games, but I prefer the more CoD (non BR) type of games, I don't mind dying but I'm not a fan of the free for all type of games (including CoD FFA, fuck that mode lol). Love War modes in CoD.
Haven't tried the 3v3 in Apex, might give it a try.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
BRs seem to do well with arena modes tacked on. It's hard to get warmed up, comfortable with weapons in larger BR.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
If you hate BR then there's no reason to care and follow a game.

I always liked the apex world but I hate BR with every guts in my body, so this game went under my radar again.

Oh yeah, and for good measures:.

Battle royale sucks.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I am irritated about all the people here always complaining about games having a Battle Royale mode included.

They are a fantastic tool to help me identify if a game is not worth playing instantly. Imagine how much time I could of wasted downloading a title only to find out its shit, but now I just need to see "Battle royale" and I can instantly skip it.

Last edited:
Arenas is if you die you're out like Warzone from Gears of War and from data miners. It's in the files.
I know what normal arenas is, but if it's perhaps getting a 6 vs 6 mode, I was thinking it might have respawns instead of rounds. I guess it could go either way. I'm not really sure how well arenas maps would work in a game mode with respawns.

It really surprised me when the developers added arenas, because I would think they'd want their Titanfall 2 fans that don't like BR to move to their big free to play shooter with a new mode created with them in mind. But instead they went with something else entirely that still doesn't interest many of the original fans.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

The Winter Express is the best LTM mode in Apex, way better than Arenas and it's super well received by players and yet it's only once a year at Xmas.

So the new season and new game mode is available now. What does everyone think of control so far?

Last edited:
Top Bottom