• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apex Legends Next-Gen Versions - Tomorrow (March 29)

Why can't we get a PUBG current Gen version update?? Game looks complete ass on my PS5. Never liked Apex btw.
I think console players are barely on their radar. If you're not in Asia playing mobile or TPP on PC you're a second class PUBG citizen. Which is really a shame because the PC version actually runs very nicely these days, better than Apex for me, it's just the player base and queue health that concern me.

I think it's also pretty clear that just getting 'next-gen' to build is more of an undertaking than it really should be for these 'legacy' games. I'm optimistic now that Apex is native to PS5 and XSXaS (I'm a little late to the party here but surely we can get Xbox Series X and S in abbreviation form to trend), they'll be able to push out a frame rate update relatively quickly.

On the PC version I notice it chonks down to the 80s in frames when in the drop ship and stuff despite modest 1440p settings and a 5950x/2080ti. Maybe they really want to optimize it to be at or close to 120hz at all times. Normally I'd say it doesn't matter, unlock that bitch and let VRR pickup the slack. But now that I'm using an audio extractor that only gives me 1080p120hz w/o VRR, maybe I can wait. I don't play much Apex and I mostly play PC crossplay anyway, but using the console version every once in a while might make my Xbox teammate less of a liability.

Justin9mm

Its a free game try for yourself
Yeah I know but It's more so not wasting time downloading one over the other lol

Edit: That being said I hate the Series X controller in comparison to Dualsense so I'm leaning towards PS5. The clacky noise from the face buttons is super annoying.

Last edited:

elliot5

Yeah I know but It's more so not wasting time downloading one over the other lol

Edit: That being said I hate the Series X controller in comparison to Dualsense so I'm leaning towards PS5. The clacky noise from the face buttons is super annoying.
I would probably just go ps5 then. Only bonus i can think of for xsx may come with the future 120 fps mode and vrr support, but who knows maybe ps5 has vrr by then lol

Justin9mm

It’s cross platform. Performance is equal. It comes down to which gamepad/input you prefer.
True.

I've said this a million times already but there are two things I can't get over owning a Series X..
1. The annoying loud clacking sound of the D-Pad and face buttons.
2. No ability to turn off the menu navigation sound in the OS.

These two things get to me more than they should. Two issues I don't have on PS5 lol

elliot5

True.

I've said this a million times already but there are two things I can't get over owning a Series X..
1. The annoying loud clacking sound of the D-Pad and face buttons.
2. No ability to turn off the menu navigation sound in the OS.

These two things get to me more than they should. Two issues I don't have on PS5 lol
The menu navigation can be muted. Im not sure if it’s still insiders only right now or if it made it out to public but I know its a thing

Justin9mm

The menu navigation can be muted. Im not sure if it’s still insiders only right now or if it made it out to public but I know its a thing
It might be insiders only because I scoured the internet trying to find out and all i can see is you can't do it. It's the most simple option they completely missed when designing the OS... Can't be intentional surely. It's one of the most standard common options on everything lol

elliot5

It might be insiders only because I scoured the internet trying to find out and all i can see is you can't do it. It's the most simple option they completely missed when designing the OS... Can't be intentional surely. It's one of the most standard common options on everything lol

Start of this month maybe it comes in an April system updaye

RPS37

It’s 75+GB on XSX. Yeah, these next gen consoles have plenty enough space.
Also, gonna take 6 hours.

Banned
it looks and feels pretty much exactly the same. pretty disappointing

the PS5 version actually runs worse than the PS4 Pro version using backwards compatibility. I had several framedrops on Olympus where there are none while playing the PS4 version.

I also noticed slightly more input lag, not drastic but I instantly felt the difference.

so gameplay wise this is a downgrade. the only real benefit is that it now basically looks like the One X version, or maybe slightly better, which previously had higher shadow and LOD settings than any other console version

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
im good

i already spent too much time on a pc and monitor due to work, ill rather play on my couch

a8qXkr8.jpg

Banned
it improved performance, and introduced a native app for all the next gen consoles.

it made performance worse...
all it did was turn up settings and resolution.

the Settings on PS5 and SX are now slightly higher than the One X settings were, but on PS5 performance is slightly worse.
Olympus was a locked 60fps on PS5 using backwards compatibility, but in the native app it has framedrops to the mid to low 50s in some spots, very noticeable if you land Docks.

Series X runs at a nearly locked 60 tho, so there it was only a slight settings and res bump, but that back compat version already looked a whole lot better than any other last gen version due to the One X simply running way higher settings than One S and PS4/Pro

Last edited:
I am sorry, but this game was ugly to begin with. Can't stand the art style or the character designs. It looks like some cheap mobile knock off.

I played a lot of it at launch, but then got bored after 4 weeks and never had the desire to go back. Gunplay feels weird too me and I don't like the way the the game gives feedback when you hit someone or break armor. It sounds like breaking a glass window.

What a disappointment that Respawn is forced to keep this game alive instead of us getting Titanfall 3. Titanfall 2 was so good and so underrated and I love the multiplayer.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
I am sorry, but this game was ugly to begin with. Can't stand the art style or the character designs. It looks like some cheap mobile knock off.

I played a lot of it at launch, but then got bored after 4 weeks and never had the desire to go back. Gunplay feels weird too me and I don't like the way the the game gives feedback when you hit someone or break armor. It sounds like breaking a glass window.

What a disappointment that Respawn is forced to keep this game alive instead of us getting Titanfall 3. Titanfall 2 was so good and so underrated and I love the multiplayer.
That's your opinion, I think the game looks great, and it's the only br I keep coming back to. Been there since day 1, and still there in season 13. I played tf 1 and 2, and I'm personally okay with them sticking to this lol

It does help that it's free and all my friendships play it. One of the best games if you communicate with a team. Also love what they did with the the ping system

Last edited:
That's your opinion, I think the game looks great, and it's the only br I keep coming back to. Been there since day 1, and still there in season 13. I played tf 1 and 2, and I'm personally okay with them sticking to this lol

It does help that it's free and all my friendships play it. One of the best games if you communicate with a team. Also love what they did with the the ping system
Don't get me wrong, the game def has set new standards with certain mechanics and stuff for a BR game, and yes it has good design.

But for me, the thematic and setting is a very big deal and is a big part of an appeal to me in any game. Just not into the universe and how it's portrayed through art style and audio.

Shmunter

it made performance worse...
all it did was turn up settings and resolution.

the Settings on PS5 and SX are now slightly higher than the One X settings were, but on PS5 performance is slightly worse.
Olympus was a locked 60fps on PS5 using backwards compatibility, but in the native app it has framedrops to the mid to low 50s in some spots, very noticeable if you land Docks.

Series X runs at a nearly locked 60 tho, so there it was only a slight settings and res bump, but that back compat version already looked a whole lot better than any other last gen version due to the One X simply running way higher settings than One S and PS4/Pro
My experience on ps5 is that it’s much sharper than pro and is locked 60 100% of the time. Surprised by your experience as I was just lamenting to myself how pleasant it all is.

Banned
My experience on ps5 is that it’s much sharper than pro and is locked 60 100% of the time. Surprised by your experience as I was just lamenting to myself how pleasant it all is.

it looks way better for sure, the Pro version was only a tiny upgrade from base PS4. on XBox it's a smaller upgrade as the One X version was already way better looking than all the other consoles. The resolution boost is very welcome tho as the antialiasing in that game is horrible, and is always off whenever I play on PC (which isn't that often, but always so nice to look at at native 1440p without the bad TAA)

next time you play on Olympus, land at Docks and look towards fight night roghtly from the respawn beacon at Docks.
that spot always drops into the mid to low 50s. that did not happen on PS4 back compat, and also doesn't happen on Series X.

the Series X version never dropped a frame for me, but I don't play that version much as my main account is on Playstation, so I'm more familiar with that version.
I did however compare the 2 versions after the new version dropped, because I instantly had the framedrops on PS5 and had to check if the same happens on Series X, and it didn't.

Olympus in general had a lot of performance related issues lately. at the start of the current season it was so bad on base consoles that the whole subreddit was filled with complaints. the framerate on last gen was always terrible (I would know as I mostly played on Base PS4 because it was connected to my PC monitor and the low input lag it had there), but it finally got to a point where even the low-standards of most reddit users weren't low enough anymore lol

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
Don't get me wrong, the game def has set new standards with certain mechanics and stuff for a BR game, and yes it has good design.

But for me, the thematic and setting is a very big deal and is a big part of an appeal to me in any game. Just not into the universe and how it's portrayed through art style and audio.
i feel the same about warzone, people gravitate towards that due to its more dudebro setting, and 'realistc (questionable) ' setting, but that actually turns me off

8BiTw0LF

Banned

Office Space No GIF

Titanfall 2 were a great game in the last generation of FPS games, but it ain't got nothin' on Apex legends.

manfestival

this only real bad thing(depending on your interest in the lore) is the fact that apex legends has effectively killed off titanfall 3. The best thing about the universe was the titans.... yet. We haven't even had an event featuring any of these beautiful machines. The most we got is coming with the new season with the returns of the sentries in a certain spot to kill for loot.

Office Space No GIF

Titanfall 2 were a great game in the last generation of FPS games, but it ain't got nothin' on Apex legends.
Fantastic for them getting awards, not sure what you are trying to prove here as I am talking about my personal opinion.

I found the mech and on foot gameplay in Titanfall 2 far more dynamic and exhilarating than Apex Legends.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Fantastic for them getting awards, not sure what you are trying to prove here as I am talking about my personal opinion.

I found the mech and on foot gameplay in Titanfall 2 far more dynamic and exhilarating than Apex Legends.
It didn't sound like your personal opinion. To each their own. Apex Legends has proved for more than 3 years it's ahead of other FPS games.

It didn't sound like your personal opinion. To each their own. Apex Legends has proved for more than 3 years it's ahead of other FPS games.
It proved absolutely nothing to me lol other than the fact the game has taken away Respawn from making a sequel to Titanfall which would of been far more interesting to me and many other individuals.

I much prefer Fortnite as my go to Battle Royale game now that they have a no-build mode.
Warzone I used to play a lot as well, but the whole gray/sand and samey color asthetic turns me off.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
It proved absolutely nothing to me lol other than the fact the game has taken away Respawn from making a sequel to Titanfall which would of been far more interesting to me and many other individuals.

I much prefer Fortnite as my go to Battle Royale game now that they have a no-build mode.
Warzone I used to play a lot as well, but the whole gray/sand and samey color asthetic turns me off.
I get it, TF2 was a very good game but it never had the same traction as Apex, Fortnite or Warzone - and that's the key factor for ongoing moneystream for big studios and that gives (more or less) great "service" games.

I get why 343 is having a hard time figuring it out, cause they didn't follow the top "players" in the game - and you can't expect to release something today, that's based on a 15 year old formula, when the game changed 5 years ago.

Muay Ninja

Other than being in the same universe Apex Legends and Titanfall 2 are two very different games.

I personally like Apex Legends's art style and graphics. Some of the skins (especially some of the older skins and the animated BP weapon skins) look pretty awesome.

Also love it or hate it, but the regular maps, map updates and crafting/care package rotations help keep the game fresh and interesting.

I like that it takes some skill and teamwork to be good at also. Not that other games don't but the ceiling is a little higher here I feel.

Top Bottom